Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mussels, what's the attraction?

Mussels, what's the attraction?

Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.

They look ugly to begin with.

I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.

Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

They aren't bad. They aren't great. I used to eat them once in a while,
but then my wife got sick on them once. She was as sick as I had been
one time when I got a dandy case of food poisoning. It may not be
rational on my part, but after seeing how sickyou can get on them, I
lost my appetite for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy

Like clams? You'll like mussels. They've become more popular in the past 20
years but are still cheap. I can take or leave them, but my wife enjoys
them. Usually cooked in wine and garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>>
>> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>>
>> They look ugly to begin with.
>>
>> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>>
>> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>>
>> Andy

> Like clams? You'll like mussels. They've become more popular in the
> past 20 years but are still cheap. I can take or leave them, but my
> wife enjoys them. Usually cooked in wine and garlic.

Ed,

As a kid, Mrs. Paul's "baked" fried clams made a pretty good sandwich (in a
hot dog roll). One of the few "gourmet" foods I liked.

I tried them a year or so ago, trying to recapture a memory but they were
just like breadcrumb encrusted rubberbands.

It was disgusting. Ruined a perfectly good childhood memory. ((

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

Mussels are okay but you need to eat a lot to fill a belly... but the sauce,
dunked with crusty bread, sublime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>>
>> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>>
>> They look ugly to begin with.
>>
>> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>>
>> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>>

> Mussels are okay but you need to eat a lot to fill a belly... but the
> sauce, dunked with crusty bread, sublime.

brooklyn1,

Yeah. The sauce and crusty bread was a brief segment of the finished recipe
that Lidia made look delicious! Naturally I just trusted it to be as good
as she declared it was.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

They taste good. Mussels in butter and garlic sauce are fantastic. What
more reason do you need?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.

Heh. Ugly food often tastes great. Take shrimp or lobster for example -
and you cannot tell me that oysters are 'pretty' either...

> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
> steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

Cathy,

I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked that way, I might
enjoy it.

It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the plate and having to
deal with that is what bothers me more than anything, I guess.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked that way,
> I might enjoy it.
>
> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the plate and
> having to deal with that is what bothers me more than anything, I
> guess.

Ah. We can buy mussel meat here i.e. mussels that have already been
removed from the shells (usually frozen). You can make a
great 'chowder' (for want of a better word) from them, or cook them in
any sauce that takes your fancy. And they're really not expensive to
buy that way here either.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:11:16 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
>Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
>They look ugly to begin with.
>
>I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
>Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

I like them a lot. Some people say they're sweeter than clams. I
don't. I just say they're yummy delicious.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy

Use properly, they add a nice texture and flavor. I don't care for them
by themselves, but do like them in mixes.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked that way, I might
> enjoy it.
>
> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the plate and having to
> deal with that is what bothers me more than anything, I guess.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I don't see that that is any different from Oysters babe.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:53:40 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Yeah. The sauce and crusty bread was a brief segment of the finished recipe
>that Lidia made look delicious! Naturally I just trusted it to be as good
>as she declared it was.

I missed her again!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:53:40 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>Yeah. The sauce and crusty bread was a brief segment of the finished
>>recipe that Lidia made look delicious! Naturally I just trusted it to be
>>as good as she declared it was.

> I missed her again!

sf,

Since you're Comcast, iirc, you can visit: http://alturl.com/wa88

You'll need to press the "Your Settings: 'change' 19063" URL to put in YOUR
zip code, then click which cable feed is yours.

You also have to input your zip code whenever you freshly relaunch your
browser with that bookmark (or so it somehow seems.

Still, it's ultra convenient, imho.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy

Think bigger clams. I like them. My favorite are either steamed or in
black bean sauce.

http://www.fukuina.com/recipes/musse...bean_sauce.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 3:11*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors them
and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine for the
extra broth,too.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> They taste good. Mussels in butter and garlic sauce are fantastic. What
> more reason do you need?
>
> Jill

Jill,

Uhm...

I hate to eat alone??

<smootch>

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:53:28 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>sf said...
>
>> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:53:40 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah. The sauce and crusty bread was a brief segment of the finished
>>>recipe that Lidia made look delicious! Naturally I just trusted it to be
>>>as good as she declared it was.

>> I missed her again!

>sf,
>
>Since you're Comcast, iirc, you can visit: http://alturl.com/wa88
>
>You'll need to press the "Your Settings: 'change' 19063" URL to put in YOUR
>zip code, then click which cable feed is yours.
>
>You also have to input your zip code whenever you freshly relaunch your
>browser with that bookmark (or so it somehow seems.
>
>Still, it's ultra convenient, imho.

Thanks, Andy... I see she was on for two hours yesterday.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:10:40 -0500:

>> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream
>> sauce... or steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

> Cathy,

> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked
> that way, I might enjoy it.

> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the
> plate and having to deal with that is what bothers me more
> than anything, I guess.

Some have said mussels are ugly but "Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder!" The real problem is that removing them from the shells with
either a fork or chop sticks is messy. I believe they are cooked in
their shells to avoid over-cooking. They are delicious and I mention
chopsticks because mussels in ginger sauce is a great Vietnamese dish.
The recipe probably dates from French colonial days since very necessary
quantities of French bread are served with it. When I have had the dish
lately, New Zealand green-lipped mussels were used. Did you know that
you can distinguish male NZ mussels from female by the color of the
meat? You will usually get both.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:53:28 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>sf said...

>>> I missed her again!

>>sf,
>>
>>Since you're Comcast, iirc, you can visit: http://alturl.com/wa88
>>
>>You'll need to press the "Your Settings: 'change' 19063" URL to put in
>>YOUR zip code, then click which cable feed is yours.
>>
>>You also have to input your zip code whenever you freshly relaunch your
>>browser with that bookmark (or so it somehow seems.
>>
>>Still, it's ultra convenient, imho.
>>

> Thanks, Andy... I see she was on for two hours yesterday.

Welcome!

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

> They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors them
> and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine for the
> extra broth,too.
>
> Kris

I'll never forget going to Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles years ago and
watching a very elegant woman sitting alone with a large bowl of mussels
and another of pommes frites. Very classic bistro food apparently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
> steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

Sort of like snails.... tasty with a good butter and garlic sauce, but
not much on their own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
>> steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

> Sort of like snails.... tasty with a good butter and garlic sauce, but
> not much on their own.

Same could be said for chicken; that's also rather bland without any
herbs/spices and/or sauce added to it.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:00:58 -0400, "jmcquown" >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>>
>> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>>
>> They look ugly to begin with.
>>
>> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>>
>> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> Eat first, talk later.

>They taste good. Mussels in butter and garlic sauce are fantastic. What
>more reason do you need?

Since you've already said it I don't have to - other than to wonder if
Andy also thinks clams, scallops and oysters are ugly. How about those
ugly prawns, shrimp, crab, crayfish, lobster, scampi, Morton Bay Bugs,
calamari, etc, etc?

I like to gently poached mussels in Puntanessca sauce and serve with
pasta and a green salad. But, lately, I've been substituting sweet,
juicy clams.

BTW - kilo for kilo or pound for pound, mussels are still the best
seafood buy around and our New Zealand Green Lipped Mussels are very
nutritious and contain high levels of glycosaminoglycan which assist
in the repair of damaged joint tissues.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 3:11*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy

Native Americans started eating them. They ate anything that didn't
kill them first. Sort of like our ancestors from the old country,
whichever one it was.

On the other hand, they used lobsters as fertilizer for their gardens,
since they were considered not fit to eat.

What did they know that we don't?

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> Did you know that
> you can distinguish male NZ mussels from female by the color of the
> meat? You will usually get both.

James,

No, I did not know that, until just now!

Thanks!

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
| Andy wrote on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:10:40 -0500:
|
| >> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream
| >> sauce... or steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.
|
| > Cathy,
|
| > I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked
| > that way, I might enjoy it.
|
| > It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the
| > plate and having to deal with that is what bothers me more
| > than anything, I guess.
|
| Some have said mussels are ugly but "Beauty is in the eye of the
| beholder!" The real problem is that removing them from the shells with
| either a fork or chop sticks is messy.

The trick I learned from French people is twofold: take the first
shell, extract and eat the mussel. Then use that shell, still joined
at the end, as a pincher to grab the meat from subsequent shells.
As you empty the shells, place one inside the other around your
plate, making a sort of intermeshed necklace of the emptied shells.
They are cooked in the shell, btw, because they are messy to
empty in their raw state, much more so than clams or oysters and
you usually end up breaking the quite fragile shells (at least I do.)
And thanks for the sexing information on the NZ mussels.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy

I really like them. They are very easy to prepare. I like to steam them
in some garlic, parsley and white wine or just put them in a pot with a
jar of good quality marinara sauce and heat until they open up. Then
dump the whole thing on top of spaghetti.

I went to a mussels farm in Newfoundland several years ago and it was
quite an experience to see how they cultivate them.

We got some really awesome mussels on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked that way, I might
>> enjoy it.
>>
>> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the plate and having to
>> deal with that is what bothers me more than anything, I guess.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> I don't see that that is any different from Oysters babe.

I think that they are way different from oysters. The texture is
completely different.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:04:52 -0400:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...

| >> Cathy,
|>
| >> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked
| >> that way, I might enjoy it.
|>
| >> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the
| >> plate and having to deal with that is what bothers me more
| >> than anything, I guess.
|>
|> Some have said mussels are ugly but "Beauty is in the eye of
|> the beholder!" The real problem is that removing them from
|> the shells with either a fork or chop sticks is messy.

> The trick I learned from French people is twofold: take the first
> shell, extract and eat the mussel. Then use that shell, still
> joined at the end, as a pincher to grab the meat from
> subsequent shells. As you empty the shells, place one inside
> the other around your plate, making a sort of intermeshed
> necklace of the emptied shells. They are cooked in the shell,
> btw, because they are messy to empty in their raw state, much
> more so than clams or oysters and you usually end up breaking
> the quite fragile shells (at least I do.) And thanks for the
> sexing information on the NZ mussels.

Neat idea! I'll definitely try it next time I go to "The Taste of
Saigon", the best French-Vietnamese restaurant around here.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 5:21*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors them
> > and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine for the
> > extra broth,too.

> > Kris

> I'll never forget going to Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles years ago and
> watching a very elegant woman sitting alone with a large bowl of mussels
> and another of pommes frites. *Very classic bistro food apparently.

Oh, it is! I think it's called "moules frites" or something like that!

I suppose you could dip the fries in the broth,too...

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:11 pm, Andy > wrote:
> Mussels, what's the attraction?
>
> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.
>
> They look ugly to begin with.
>
> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.
>
> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors them
and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine for the
extra broth,too.

Kris

And just as with clams there are many kinds of mussels... most restaurants
serve what is found locally but there are real seafood restaurants that will
serve a half dozen maybe a dozen types of mussels from all the oceans....
they're all different, different size, different appearance, and different
taste and texture... there are fresh water mussels too.. and they had better
be alive whn cooked. Major markets will have seafood flown in from all
corners of the globe. I used to visit the Fulton Fish Market in NYC often,
amazing what they have, and fresh every day. Do you know how you can tell
if seafood is fresh, there is only one way and one way only, it's still
breathing when you gut it. Most of the expensive fish used for sushi is
pure bullshit, it it's dead when they buy it it's crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
>> steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

> Cathy,
>
> I suppose if the meat was removed from the shell and cooked that way, I
> might
> enjoy it.
>
> It's just the trouble to have so much shell occupying the plate and having
> deal with that is what bothers me more than anything, I guess.

I bet yer mommy had to cut up yer food until you were 50.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Kris wrote:
>
>> They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors
>> them and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine
>> for the extra broth,too.
>>
>> Kris

> I'll never forget going to Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles years ago
> and watching a very elegant woman sitting alone with a large bowl of
> mussels and another of pommes frites. Very classic bistro food
> apparently.

I'll be darned. I thought my kids were the only ones who ate that
particular combo.

Both of my kids loved the steamed mussels that a local chinese buffet
served. I remember on one visit when my daughter and son were 8 and 4
years old respectively, they piled their plates with mussels (and french
fries) and began chowing down happily.

A woman at the next table was agog, so much so that I laughed at her and
asked, "What's wrong, haven't you ever seen kids eating mussels before?"

She shook her head and said, "No, actually I've never seen anybody eat
mussels before."

I like pretty much any kind of shellfish or crustacean, as long as it's
cooked or at least marinated like ceviche to firm up the texture. I've
tried raw oysters but never really saw the appeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> I like pretty much any kind of shellfish or crustacean, as long as it's
> cooked or at least marinated like ceviche to firm up the texture. I've
> tried raw oysters but never really saw the appeal.

I never saw the appeal of cooked oysters, like Oysters Rockefeller, but
I was impressed when I tried them raw. They are like a tonic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> Like clams? You'll like mussels. They've become more popular in the
> past 20 years but are still cheap. I can take or leave them, but my
> wife enjoys them. Usually cooked in wine and garlic.

You can treat mussels almost like oysters, especially if you like your
oysters cooked...... like this.......

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2984/trio+of+mussels

But I like the wine and garlic version too, but with the addition of some
flat leaf parsley, and a dollop of cream into the mussel liquor.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in news:A63Jl.54776$Qh6.54512
@newsfe14.iad:

> I love mussels. They're good with white wine/garlic/cream sauce... or
> steamed with a chili/tomato sauce.

With a side of toasted crusty bread, and a chilled glass of chardy, or
riesling, and you have heaven on a plate :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 2:32*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski said...
>

> > "Andy" > wrote in message
> >> Mussels, what's the attraction?

> >> Lidia is cooking them on PBS TV.

> >> They look ugly to begin with.

> >> I never saw the attraction. Never tried one.

> >> Anyone care to extol the virtues of such things?

> >> Andy

> > Like clams? *You'll like mussels. They've become more popular in the
> > past 20 years but are still cheap. *I can take or leave them, but my
> > wife enjoys them. * Usually cooked in wine and garlic.

> Ed,
>
> As a kid, Mrs. Paul's "baked" fried clams made a pretty good sandwich (in a
> hot dog roll). One of the few "gourmet" foods I liked.

Ummm, Andy, Mrs. Paul's clams on a hot dog bun is not exactly
"gourmet."
Nothing on a hot dog bun is gourmet. Anything, be it caviar or
truffles would lose any gourmet status if served on a hot dog bun.
That said, give me a Hot & Spicy Johnsonville brat on that bun, and
I'm a happy camper. That's exactly what my son and I made on our last
campout. We grilled them over hickory wood at a state park on his
Spring break.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan
http://video.google.com/googleplayer...85835457&hl=en
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
>> Kris wrote:
>>
>>> They're a somewhat mild shellfish,but the broth is what flavors them
>>> and makes them fabulous! I like to get extra bread with mine for the
>>> extra broth,too.
>>>
>>> Kris

>> I'll never forget going to Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles years ago and
>> watching a very elegant woman sitting alone with a large bowl of
>> mussels and another of pommes frites. Very classic bistro food
>> apparently.

> I'll be darned. I thought my kids were the only ones who ate that
> particular combo.
>
> Both of my kids loved the steamed mussels that a local chinese buffet
> served. I remember on one visit when my daughter and son were 8 and 4
> years old respectively, they piled their plates with mussels (and french
> fries) and began chowing down happily.
>
> A woman at the next table was agog, so much so that I laughed at her and
> asked, "What's wrong, haven't you ever seen kids eating mussels before?"
>
> She shook her head and said, "No, actually I've never seen anybody eat
> mussels before."
>
> I like pretty much any kind of shellfish or crustacean, as long as it's
> cooked or at least marinated like ceviche to firm up the texture. I've
> tried raw oysters but never really saw the appeal.

We are lucky here. Mussels are pretty cheap and fresh

Try this recipe out or variations of it

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...?recipeId=2449