Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peking Duck, stuffed crab claws

After a couple of weeks of 'hawker' food, the SO, when asked where she
would like to have dinner that night, said "Anywhere that doesn't have a
dirty concrete floor!".

So we went to the Chinese restaurant in our resort.....

http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...estaurant.html

Up till then we had been paying approx RM30 for a meal and drinks at the
hawker stalls. The bill from the 'night out' was RM247.05.....
approx AUD$94.82

*But* at least the SO was happy and the meal was *spectacular*!! Peking
Duck, stuffed crab claws, stuffed prawns with wasabi and mango dressing,
and stir fried mee noodles with chicken and a whole pile of other stuff.

Throw in a couple of G&T's and a few beers, and it was a tad more
expensive than what we had been paying till then, but well worth it.

We also had Dim Sum one Sunday morning........ all cooked to order.. it
took a while longer than what we were used to with Dim Sum back home, but
once again, well worth the wait.
And at only RM55.20 (AUD$21.18)to fill the both of us, good value to.

We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
overlooking the lake........

http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html

The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:53:24 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
>hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
>overlooking the lake........
>
>http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>
>The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)

I'm sure we could make do with a Minsters Suite too. But I cannot
understand why hotels don't mention the bed size. From the photos all
the beds look like king or superking, but it helps to know for sure.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:53:24 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
>>hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
>>overlooking the lake........
>>
>>http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>>
>>The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)

> I'm sure we could make do with a Minsters Suite too. But I cannot
> understand why hotels don't mention the bed size. From the photos all
> the beds look like king or superking, but it helps to know for sure.

It was a *beautiful* bed :-)

They have the bed sizes on their reservation page.

http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...servation1.php

It was a King, and *HUGE*..... enough room for 4 of us!! And just the
right amount of give in the matress as well. (It'd want to be at AUD$4,063
a week!!!!) We slept well there, and in Singapore. The Singa bed was in
the Pan Pacific (Marina).

The 'friends' recommendation for the hotel that I got for Penang sucked
and blowed. That bed was like sleeping on concrete.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
> hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
> overlooking the lake........
>
> http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>
> The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)

Wow.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-CE6C94.04130020042009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> PeterL > wrote:
>
>> We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
>> hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
>> overlooking the lake........
>>
>> http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>>
>> The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)

> Wow.

Yeah, we thought it was good :-)

Then we went back to Singapore, and the hotel there upgraded us to a
'Panoramic Suite'..... because we chose to stay with them again.

http://www.panpacific.com/en/singapo...ms/deluxe.html

It's great to walk into a hotel lobby packed with 'high flyers' and 'big
names' and the guys on the door are always saying "Good morning
Sir/Madam" to the numerous faces walking in until they see you and say "Mr
Peter, it's so good to see you again so soon!!"

I thoroughly recommend the Pan Pacific Marina to anyone visiting
Singapore.

Although, if you're scared of heights, like me, going up to the 32nd floor
in a glass bubble on the outside of the building is a bit of a 'chore'!!

Hey!! Give me a parachute rig and it's not a problem......... I just don't
see the 'beauty' of standing on some marble tiles inside this glass bubble
a gazillion feet above the ground!!

Well, that was until we found "The Red House" ,,,,, 2-for-1 Singapore
Slings :-)

http://www.redhouseseafood.com/site/

Their BBQ squid with crunchy jellyfish is *fantastic*!!

And half a dozen SSlings's later, I was happily snapping pics in the lift,
and then on our balcony!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:53:24 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>> We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of a
>> hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
>> overlooking the lake........
>>
>> http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>>
>> The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)
>>

> I'm sure we could make do with a Minsters Suite too. But I cannot
> understand why hotels don't mention the bed size. From the photos all
> the beds look like king or superking, but it helps to know for sure.

If you book a hotel room through an 800 number, Hotwire, Expedia, etc.,
you may have certain requirements, then you discover the room is not
what you requested.

Never trust the 800 number or any booking agent. Always call the hotel
directly, after your room has been booked. Make sure they know what
your requirements are, this way there are no surprises.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote in :

> bob wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:53:24 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>

>>> We were originally booked into a Deluxe Suite, but there was a bit of

>>> hiccup with our booking, so they upgraded us to a Ministers Suite,
>>> overlooking the lake........
>>>
>>> http://www.palaceofthegoldenhorses.c...ster_room.html
>>>
>>> The 2 weeks spent there were *quite* luxurious :-)
>>>

>> I'm sure we could make do with a Minsters Suite too. But I cannot
>> understand why hotels don't mention the bed size. From the photos all
>> the beds look like king or superking, but it helps to know for sure.

> If you book a hotel room through an 800 number, Hotwire, Expedia, etc.,
> you may have certain requirements, then you discover the room is not
> what you requested.
>

> Never trust the 800 number or any booking agent. Always call the hotel
> directly, after your room has been booked. Make sure they know what
> your requirements are, this way there are no surprises.

I usually go through the hotels website, rather than a booking agency.

You get more personalised service.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
PeterL > wrote:

> Well, that was until we found "The Red House" ,,,,, 2-for-1 Singapore
> Slings :-)

Recipe?
Nevermind, I'll google. <g>

> http://www.redhouseseafood.com/site/
>
> Their BBQ squid with crunchy jellyfish is *fantastic*!!
>
> And half a dozen SSlings's later, I was happily snapping pics in the lift,
> and then on our balcony!! :-)
>

> --
> Peter Lucas

Glad y'all had a good time!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article > ,
> PeterL > wrote:
>
>> Well, that was until we found "The Red House" ,,,,, 2-for-1 Singapore
>> Slings :-)

> Recipe?
> Nevermind, I'll google. <g>

I know it's got Grenadine in it...... and pineapple and a cherry and an
umbrella..... :-)

Here they are here........

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dtw5ye.jpg

recipe.........

http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/Re...spx?itemid=151

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Sling

One has lemon juice, the other lime.

(No wonder the SO got quite 'happy' after a few!!!!)

>> http://www.redhouseseafood.com/site/
>>
>> Their BBQ squid with crunchy jellyfish is *fantastic*!!
>>
>> And half a dozen SSlings's later, I was happily snapping pics in the
>> lift, and then on our balcony!! :-)
>>

> Glad y'all had a good time!

Sorta glad we're at home now. Now we can have a rest :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anyone ever make the modern version?

It's called Beijing Duck.

--Bryan, aka Bobo Bonobo http://www.TheBonobos.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
> > In article > ,
> > PeterL > wrote:
> >
> >> Well, that was until we found "The Red House" ,,,,, 2-for-1 Singapore
> >> Slings :-)

> > Recipe?
> > Nevermind, I'll google. <g>

> I know it's got Grenadine in it...... and pineapple and a cherry and an
> umbrella..... :-)
>

> Here they are here........
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2dtw5ye.jpg
>

> recipe.........
>
> http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/Re...spx?itemid=151
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Sling
>
> One has lemon juice, the other lime.
>
> (No wonder the SO got quite 'happy' after a few!!!!)

I'd go with lime.

Sounds delicious!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-F52D78.13094621042009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> PeterL > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> news >>

Singapore

>> > Recipe?
>> > Nevermind, I'll google. <g>

>> I know it's got Grenadine in it...... and pineapple and a cherry and an
>> umbrella..... :-)
>>

>> Here they are here........
>>
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2dtw5ye.jpg
>>

>> recipe.........
>>
>> http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/Re...spx?itemid=151
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Sling
>>
>> One has lemon juice, the other lime.
>>
>> (No wonder the SO got quite 'happy' after a few!!!!)

> I'd go with lime.
>
> Sounds delicious!

I don't know what was in ours (lemon or lime), but they were *very*
moorish :-)

We had some first off on a night time dinner cruise on a Chinese Junk
around Singapore harbour, and wondered what the hell anyone ever saw in
them. So it looks like the Junk barmaids can't make SS's for shit!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/5wavkn.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2uqlmpj.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/20isyur.jpg