Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Huntress Returns

I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
$5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
one for dinner tonight.

My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.

The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
with it?

Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> one for dinner tonight.
>
> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>
> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> with it?
>
> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
fresh shrimp off the boat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
> all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
> There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
> fresh shrimp off the boat.

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:40:45 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> So, can I accumulate these
>bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
>meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
>with it?

I always have a bag of bones accumulating in my freezer for stock.

oops, that didn't sound right.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:27:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
>"grilled beef" flavor?

You can use cooked bones. I use roasted chicken carcasses all the
time. If you're worried that a little charred flavor will spoil the
broth, why not bone the steaks before grilling? You thought you
should have boned them before freezing anyway - same difference, IMO.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> one for dinner tonight.
>
> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>
> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> with it?
>
> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I do one of 3 things, accumulate them then roast the bones with some onion,
carrot and celery and whatever else strikes your fancy like a few tomatoes.
Then use the roasted stuff as the basis for stock. If you do that don't
forget to deglaze the roasting pan. :-)

The other thing I do is give the people the boned steak and then gnaw
grilled on the bones myself.

The final thing is to use the bones to make beef ribs. Very nice.

Use the following recipe just grill instead of bake.

:-)

Dimitri

Ginger-Orange BBQ Beef Back Ribs

6 lbs. beef back ribs
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated
1 Tbsp. garlic peeled and minced
2 tsp. lemon zest grated
1 tsp. salt
hot chili oil to taste

Trim excess fat from back ribs. Combine all other ingredients. Mix well and
pour over ribs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight but no longer
than 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Remove ribs from marinade. Reserve marinade in a
saucepan. Place ribs on a rack over a pan of hot water in oven. Roast 1
hour, turning once halfway through the cooking until browned and crisp.
Reduce marinade to a glaze-like consistency (about 1-1/2 cups). Reduce oven
heat to 375ºF. Brush ribs with glaze, roast 15 minutes, turn, brush with
glaze and roast 15 minutes more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
>> all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
>> There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
>> fresh shrimp off the boat.

> OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
> "grilled beef" flavor?

Depends on whether you marinate or put some flavor on the steak. I
don't, just a little pepper, on the grill, then onto the plate. Good
steaks don't need anything extra in my opinion. I have no problem with
grilled beef flavor. YMMV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
> > "grilled beef" flavor?
> >

> Depends on whether you marinate or put some flavor on the steak. I
> don't, just a little pepper, on the grill, then onto the plate. Good
> steaks don't need anything extra in my opinion. I have no problem with
> grilled beef flavor. YMMV

I'm thinking I'll not add anything other than pepper (if that). I'm
with you on the 'plain' flavor. (Sorry, D.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> one for dinner tonight.
>
> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>
> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> with it?
>
> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

Beef rib bones here are often frozen and collected to make beef stock at
a later date. :-) I just used a bunch of BBQ'd/smoked rib bones to make
a beef stock that I used to make rice. (I never cook rice in water!).

Beef stock is also good for French Onion Soup or a number of other
applications.

But I know you knew that. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> > $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> > I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> > vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> > one for dinner tonight.
> >
> > My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> > something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
> >
> > The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> > bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> > bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> > something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> > bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> > meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> > with it?
> >
> > Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

> If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
> all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
> There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
> fresh shrimp off the boat.

Mm, Shrimp HEADS imho make the best shrimp stock of all...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
> > all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
> > There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
> > fresh shrimp off the boat.

> OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
> "grilled beef" flavor?

That's the idea. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:40:45 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> > So, can I accumulate these
> >bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> >meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> >with it?

> I always have a bag of bones accumulating in my freezer for stock.
>
> oops, that didn't sound right.

Yes it did. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> one for dinner tonight.
>
> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>
> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> with it?
>
> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

Just because you can't make jam out of them, you want to toss them out?
Think stock, lady.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> one for dinner tonight.
>
> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>
> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> with it?
>
> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

I recently had guests for The Masters, and for a quick meal one night we
zipped over to Publix and had the butcher take a large rib roast and
slice it into steaks. $35 which was great bargin for that many thick rib
eyes. They were thicker than I've done in the past. I might get thick
ones like that more often now. I usually went for 1 inch before. Oh, and
he cut the bones off and packaged them in one piece in the bottom of the
bundle. I tossed 'em in the freezer for later consideration as you're
doing.
We used Adobo seasoning on the steaks. Grilled about 10 min per side or
so, they were med-rare to medium at most. They were delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
>>> $5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
>>> I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
>>> vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
>>> one for dinner tonight.
>>>
>>> My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
>>> something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.
>>>
>>> The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
>>> bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
>>> bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
>>> something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
>>> bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
>>> meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
>>> with it?
>>>
>>> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

>> If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
>> all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
>> There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
>> fresh shrimp off the boat.

> Mm, Shrimp HEADS imho make the best shrimp stock of all...

That's what my stock is made of, I don't freeze the heads when I package
the fresh shrimp for the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> We used Adobo seasoning on the steaks. Grilled about 10 min per side or
> so, they were med-rare to medium at most. They were delicious!

Sounds pretty good. I'm thinking I'll sear both sides and then lower
the heat . I might even use a thermometer to check the inner temp!
Woo-woo! Farmer's daughter's gettin' fancified.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> > bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
> > bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
> > something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
> > bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> > meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> > with it?
> >
> > Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

> Just because you can't make jam out of them, you want to toss them out?
> Think stock, lady.
>
> Felice

No, I most assuredly did not want to toss them out, Fleece! As long as
I can just add a bone to what's already in the freezer I guess I'll be
fine. And will be making stock in October! LOL! We don't eat much
steak. I do regret not trimming them off the bone first, though. Crap!
I maybe could've had the butcher do that, too!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 2:27*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > *If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
> > all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
> > There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
> > fresh shrimp off the boat.

> OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? *Won't the stock have a
> "grilled beef" flavor?

Dunno about grilled, but I like bones from roasted critters for stock
making. Adds to the flavor. Don't tell me your grilled critter
flavor includes starter fluid? I will not believe it of the kitchen
Ghoddess.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 5:14*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> >I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
> > $5.89/lb. *I think they're usually about $9/lb. * They are thicker than
> > I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. *I've
> > vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
> > one for dinner tonight.

> > My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
> > something first. *I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.

> > The question is this: *Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
> > bone that's going to come off each one? *I maybe should've trimmed the
> > bone before I froze them. * Phooey! *Then I'd have six bones to do
> > something with all at once. *But I didn't. *So, can I accumulate these
> > bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
> > meat eating's been done? *Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
> > with it?

> > Whaddaya think? *I await your counsel.

> Just because you can't make jam out of them, you want to toss them out?
> Think stock, lady.
>
> Felice

Isn't aspic a kind of jam....

innocently,
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine > wrote:

> Dunno about grilled, but I like bones from roasted critters for stock
> making. Adds to the flavor. Don't tell me your grilled critter
> flavor includes starter fluid? I will not believe it of the kitchen
> Ghoddess.
>
> maxine in ri

Maybe worse, Ida Know. Gas grill. It's got about 4 minutes before I
stick the thermometer in it. Mushrooms and fried potatoes await on the
stove. Pictures at 11:00. :-0)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Huntress Returns - Follow-Up

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

Feh! I overcooked the blinkin' steak! I'll get it on the next one!
Maybe in a couple months.

Three Buck Chuck shiraz was tasty, though, and I don't even like most
red wine.

Phooey!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:47:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

>Feh! I overcooked the blinkin' steak! I'll get it on the next one!
>Maybe in a couple months.

Nothing is worse than an over cooked steak. Sounds like you need an
instant read thermometer. They're about $6 at the grocery store.

>Three Buck Chuck shiraz was tasty, though, and I don't even like most
>red wine.

DD brought over a Roar Pinot Noir. It's smooth and velvety. Very
good drinking wine!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George Shirley > wrote:

> >> If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
> >> all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
> >> There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
> >> fresh shrimp off the boat.

> > Mm, Shrimp HEADS imho make the best shrimp stock of all...

> That's what my stock is made of, I don't freeze the heads when I package
> the fresh shrimp for the freezer.

I freeze the heads separately if I'm not going to make the stock right
away. Heads on Shrimp tho' are a bit rare around here (I can only get
them at the asian market or Fiesta mexican market) so I generally only
get them when I actually am ready to make stock and purchase them
deliberately.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

> Feh! I overcooked the blinkin' steak! I'll get it on the next one!
> Maybe in a couple months.

So what's overcooked to you?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> >> Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.

> > Feh! I overcooked the blinkin' steak! I'll get it on the next one!
> > Maybe in a couple months.
> >

> So what's overcooked to you?
>
> Dimitri

The thermometer read 136 and the meat was dry. Gr-r-r-r!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> Feh! I overcooked the blinkin' steak! I'll get it on the next one!
>>> Maybe in a couple months.
>>>

>> So what's overcooked to you?
>>
>> Dimitri

> The thermometer read 136 and the meat was dry. Gr-r-r-r!

I purchased a nice big sirloin steak from the used meat bin yesterday.
About an inch thick and half price too. Grilled it on the gas grill and
presented it to DW. We cut small pieces off for our dinner, added the
side dishes, BEET GREENS, FRESH BEETS (emphasis for Barb), and green
beans. I looked back and DW was nuking her piece of steak. Seems medium
is to rare for her, mine was perfect, juicy, tender, eminently chewable
and delicious. So were the BEET GREENS AND FRESH BEETS. Nyah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> I purchased a nice big sirloin steak from the used meat bin yesterday.
> About an inch thick and half price too. Grilled it on the gas grill and
> presented it to DW. We cut small pieces off for our dinner, added the side
> dishes, BEET GREENS, FRESH BEETS (emphasis for Barb), and green beans. I
> looked back and DW was nuking her piece of steak. Seems medium is to rare
> for her, mine was perfect, juicy, tender, eminently chewable and
> delicious. So were the BEET GREENS AND FRESH BEETS. Nyah!

I cooked some beets last night but they weren't done in time to have them
with dinner. Tonight's dinner will contain a salad with beets, pears,
pecans, and some kind of cheese, which will probably be dressed with a
raspberry vinaigrette.

I haven't given much thought to what else we'll be having; we've got
leftover ham, leftover turkey breast, and leftover roasted Cornish hens.
Hmmm... probably turkey panini with bacon, tomatoes, and arugula.

Bob

point of diminishing returns Joseph Coulter[_11_] Wine 5 28-11-2014 09:40 PM
An old vendor returns dogma_i Tea 5 03-03-2010 04:36 AM
The Huntress Returns [email protected] General Cooking 0 18-04-2009 09:03 PM
The virgin returns Ric Sourdough 4 03-02-2006 06:45 PM
Cocktail of the Week Returns ... David Berghouse General 4 20-05-2004 02:20 PM