Old 18-04-2009, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Huntress Returns

I picked up six rib steaks at Cub this morning; they are on sale for
$5.89/lb. I think they're usually about $9/lb. They are thicker than
I like (about 1-1/2" thick) and weigh between 1.33# and 1.6# each. I've
vacuum-sealed five of them in Ziploc vac bags and we'll have the other
one for dinner tonight.

My plan is to either grill them as they are or to rub them with
something first. I'm inclined to the former, boring cook that I am.

The question is this: Can I, or should I, be doing something with the
bone that's going to come off each one? I maybe should've trimmed the
bone before I froze them. Phooey! Then I'd have six bones to do
something with all at once. But I didn't. So, can I accumulate these
bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
with it?

Whaddaya think? I await your counsel.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Old 18-04-2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
fresh shrimp off the boat.
Old 18-04-2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
fresh shrimp off the boat.

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

Old 18-04-2009, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:40:45 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

So, can I accumulate these
bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
with it?

I always have a bag of bones accumulating in my freezer for stock.

oops, that didn't sound right.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 18-04-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:27:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

You can use cooked bones. I use roasted chicken carcasses all the
time. If you're worried that a little charred flavor will spoil the
broth, why not bone the steaks before grilling? You thought you
should have boned them before freezing anyway - same difference, IMO.

Old 18-04-2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
[...]

I do one of 3 things, accumulate them then roast the bones with some onion,
carrot and celery and whatever else strikes your fancy like a few tomatoes.
Then use the roasted stuff as the basis for stock. If you do that don't
forget to deglaze the roasting pan. :-)

The other thing I do is give the people the boned steak and then gnaw
grilled on the bones myself.

The final thing is to use the bones to make beef ribs. Very nice.

Use the following recipe just grill instead of bake.

:-)

Dimitri

Ginger-Orange BBQ Beef Back Ribs

6 lbs. beef back ribs
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated
1 Tbsp. garlic peeled and minced
2 tsp. lemon zest grated
1 tsp. salt
hot chili oil to taste

Trim excess fat from back ribs. Combine all other ingredients. Mix well and
pour over ribs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight but no longer
than 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 425F. Remove ribs from marinade. Reserve marinade in a
saucepan. Place ribs on a rack over a pan of hot water in oven. Roast 1
hour, turning once halfway through the cooking until browned and crisp.
Reduce marinade to a glaze-like consistency (about 1-1/2 cups). Reduce oven
heat to 375F. Brush ribs with glaze, roast 15 minutes, turn, brush with
glaze and roast 15 minutes more.

Old 18-04-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
fresh shrimp off the boat.

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

Depends on whether you marinate or put some flavor on the steak. I
don't, just a little pepper, on the grill, then onto the plate. Good
steaks don't need anything extra in my opinion. I have no problem with
grilled beef flavor. YMMV
Old 18-04-2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

Depends on whether you marinate or put some flavor on the steak. I
don't, just a little pepper, on the grill, then onto the plate. Good
steaks don't need anything extra in my opinion. I have no problem with
grilled beef flavor. YMMV

I'm thinking I'll not add anything other than pepper (if that). I'm
with you on the 'plain' flavor. (Sorry, D.)
Old 18-04-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

Beef rib bones here are often frozen and collected to make beef stock at
a later date. :-) I just used a bunch of BBQ'd/smoked rib bones to make
a beef stock that I used to make rice. (I never cook rice in water!).

Beef stock is also good for French Onion Soup or a number of other
applications.

But I know you knew that. g
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 18-04-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

Mm, Shrimp HEADS imho make the best shrimp stock of all...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Old 18-04-2009, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

If you're interested in making beef stock save them up and then do them
all at once. I have three bags in the freezer, beef, turkey, chicken.
There's also a container of shrimp stock but I do that anytime I buy
fresh shrimp off the boat.

OK, even after they've been cooked, Jorge? Won't the stock have a
"grilled beef" flavor?

That's the idea. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 18-04-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

So, can I accumulate these
bones over the summer and then "do something" with them when all the
meat eating's been done? Or should I just ditch the bone and be done
with it?

I always have a bag of bones accumulating in my freezer for stock.

oops, that didn't sound right.

Yes it did. g
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 18-04-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Just because you can't make jam out of them, you want to toss them out?
Think stock, lady.

Felice

Old 18-04-2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

I recently had guests for The Masters, and for a quick meal one night we
zipped over to Publix and had the butcher take a large rib roast and
slice it into steaks. $35 which was great bargin for that many thick rib
eyes. They were thicker than I've done in the past. I might get thick
ones like that more often now. I usually went for 1 inch before. Oh, and
he cut the bones off and packaged them in one piece in the bottom of the
bundle. I tossed 'em in the freezer for later consideration as you're
doing.
We used Adobo seasoning on the steaks. Grilled about 10 min per side or
so, they were med-rare to medium at most. They were delicious!
Old 18-04-2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

That's what my stock is made of, I don't freeze the heads when I package
the fresh shrimp for the freezer.

point of diminishing returns Joseph Coulter[_11_] Wine 5 28-11-2014 09:40 PM
An old vendor returns dogma_i Tea 5 03-03-2010 04:36 AM
The Huntress Returns [email protected] General Cooking 0 18-04-2009 09:03 PM
The virgin returns Ric Sourdough 4 03-02-2006 06:45 PM
Cocktail of the Week Returns ... David Berghouse General 4 20-05-2004 02:20 PM