Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey Christine!

I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-04-17, sf > wrote:

> I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

What a strange pot configuration. Looks like a great price deal, but a
bizarre item. What's with the decreased diameter base? It's like cooking in
a mixing bowl with annoying handles to get in the way. Not very practical,
IMO. I don't think I'd get one, even at that price. Let us know how it
works out.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 8:09*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-04-17, sf > wrote:
>

> > I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
> >http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

> What a strange pot configuration. *Looks like a great price deal, but a
> bizarre item. *What's with the decreased diameter base? *It's like cooking in
> a mixing bowl with annoying handles to get in the way. *Not very practical,
> IMO. *I don't think I'd get one, even at that price. *Let us know how it
> works out. *
>
> nb

I'm with you, NB - the handles at least should be more flat out at the
sides so they don't get in the way. It is odd - maybe a good pot for
chili or corn on the cob....it's shaped like an antique light-weight
Wear-Ever kettle I have - only mine holds about half again as much.
But it always wants to wobble on the burner....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

> What a strange pot configuration. Looks like a great price deal, but a
> bizarre item. What's with the decreased diameter base? It's like cooking
> in a mixing bowl with annoying handles to get in the way. Not very
> practical, IMO.

If you're reducing liquids, the decreasing diameter helps to protect the
liquid from scorching as the volume goes down. So if sf wants to make candy,
she got the right pot! I think it would also be good for making curry, where
you cook the small amount of aromatics first, then add the main ingredients.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2009 12:49:05 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>sf > : in
>rec.food.cooking
>

>> I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
>> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839
>>

>Ohhhh... love it. I'd have to go to the mall to get the sale price. I
>don't go to the mall. Might buy it online though. It looks terrifice. Are
>you going to be like Dabney in the kitchen? She has more pots and pans
>than anyone I know. Seriously, have you seen the pics? LOL... we all
>collect something. I collect daylilys, mums and cookbooks.

I have more than enough decent pots and pans, but I haven't bought
anything new in literally a decade so it was about time... besides,
that pot is crying out for chicken fricassee or bean soup. What would
you make in it?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:09:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-04-17, sf > wrote:
>>
>> I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
>> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

>What a strange pot configuration. Looks like a great price deal, but a
>bizarre item. What's with the decreased diameter base?

I like it for precisely that reason.

>It's like cooking in
>a mixing bowl with annoying handles to get in the way. Not very practical,
>IMO. I don't think I'd get one, even at that price.

To each his own.

>Let us know how it works out.

I will!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

sf wrote:

> I have more than enough decent pots and pans, but I haven't bought
> anything new in literally a decade so it was about time... besides,
> that pot is crying out for chicken fricassee or bean soup. What would
> you make in it?

Is your new stove installed yet? What is/will be your first meal
prepared on it?

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Apr 17, 8:09*am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2009-04-17, sf > wrote:
>>

>> > I got a new toy yesterday... Macy's sale price, only $19.95!
>> >http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12839

>> What a strange pot configuration. *Looks like a great price deal, but a
>> bizarre item. *What's with the decreased diameter base? *It's like cooking in
>> a mixing bowl with annoying handles to get in the way. *Not very practical,
>> IMO. *I don't think I'd get one, even at that price. *Let us know how it
>> works out. *
>>
>> nb

>I'm with you, NB - the handles at least should be more flat out at the
>sides so they don't get in the way. It is odd - maybe a good pot for
>chili or corn on the cob....it's shaped like an antique light-weight
>Wear-Ever kettle I have - only mine holds about half again as much.
>But it always wants to wobble on the burner....

I'm thinking it's probably better suited for an electric coil than a
gas grid with no stable base to sit on. It fits very well on a small
electric burner. I'll use the simmer plate to stabilize it after my
gas cooktop is installed.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> that pot is crying out for chicken fricassee or bean soup. What would
> you make in it?

Earlier I wrote that it would be good for making candy or curries. For its
first use, I'd make nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce), spoon off and save
all but about a tablespoon, then add grated ginger and some water right into
the remaining sauce. Cook briefly, stirring to wash the sauce off the sides
and bottom of the pan. Add chunks of fish (any white fish would do, even
catfish or tilapia), cook about a minute, then add chopped green onions.
Remove from the heat and cover (which wilts the onions and finishes cooking
the fish), then serve with steamed jasmine rice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:24:17 -0700, Lin >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> I have more than enough decent pots and pans, but I haven't bought
>> anything new in literally a decade so it was about time... besides,
>> that pot is crying out for chicken fricassee or bean soup. What would
>> you make in it?

>Is your new stove installed yet? What is/will be your first meal
>prepared on it?

Like all projects, this one is taking on a life of it's own. With a
new cooktop comes new counters... update add more plugs to bring the
kitchen into the 21st century, change out a big window.... etc, etc

So the short answer is "no". You're the second person who has
asked now about what I will cook. Hubby mentioned something to that
effect only yesterday too. I only know the grill will be in use
because that's the PRIME reason I switched over to gas! LOL

I have a feeling my son will be over on inaugural day, so he'll make
sure all six burners are in use too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2009 12:21:14 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>I'd for sure use it for soups and stews. I think what I like about it is
>it's capacity. 5.5 qt is big enough for a decent pot of stew. I'd have to
>see what it looks like but it might just do for Swiss steaks, salisbury
>steaks etc. Might be able to use it as a Dutch oven.

Yes, it seems like a really nice size for two people and you can feed
more if needed. Thanks.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> sf > :
> in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I have more than enough decent pots and pans, but I haven't bought
>> anything new in literally a decade so it was about time... besides,
>> that pot is crying out for chicken fricassee or bean soup. What would
>> you make in it?

> I'd for sure use it for soups and stews. I think what I like about it is
> it's capacity. 5.5 qt is big enough for a decent pot of stew. I'd have to
> see what it looks like but it might just do for Swiss steaks, salisbury
> steaks etc. Might be able to use it as a Dutch oven.

Its bottom is too small an area for browning/sauteing, and I detest glass
pot lids, hate em, won't have em. That pot is totally useless, and those
widdle handles are stupid.

Thanks Christine Becca General Cooking 0 27-11-2009 02:38 AM
From Christine Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 24 09-09-2009 01:19 AM
Well done Christine! Sarah[_1_] General Cooking 2 16-01-2009 02:39 AM
Well done Christine! Christine Dabney General Cooking 1 16-01-2009 12:57 AM
Christine was so mean to me.. The Joneses[_1_] General Cooking 5 06-09-2007 06:04 PM