Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Susan Boyle

This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Saw it. Really something. Charming.
Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
getting that first kiss... very distracting!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Amazing performance. It makes my heart sing.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed whacker
> to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of getting that
> first kiss... very distracting!

I imagine by the final shows they will have her all gussied up with a new
hair-do and make up. Great voice though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SO Glad She Surprised THE BOSS LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Why do they sneer so at the contestants? Is that a British thing?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

> Why do they sneer so at the contestants? Is that a British thing?
>
> Paul

They do that here also on the US version. Most of the contestants are
rather lackluster or even horrid. Remember the Gong Show? Sometimes you
find a real gem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote

>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> I imagine by the final shows they will have her all gussied up with a
> new hair-do and make up. Great voice though.

She seems like a card. Funny. Very likeable.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

She's fantastic. She's got an amazing voice. Unlike the American Idol
shows where they (usually) won't let anyone in over age 25, all glitzed and
glamourized, they're listening to pure talent. She has a lovely voice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
>>

> Saw it. Really something. Charming.
> Tracy

In a similar vein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DelJrP3P7tA
Beautiful voice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
>>

> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

My late mother in law would have referred to her as being unfortunate
looking. She does have a great voice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Goomba wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
>>>

>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> My late mother in law would have referred to her as being unfortunate
> looking. She does have a great voice.

She's not as unfortunate looking as those who won't put up their mugshots, I
bet... and unlike them she has talent plus a vivacious personality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 6:57*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > This is a "must see". * *She was on Nightly News.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
thing" remark?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 8:16*am, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Goomba wrote:

> >> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
> >> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
> >> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> > My late mother in law would have referred to her as being unfortunate
> > looking. She does have a great voice.

> She's not as unfortunate looking as those who won't put up their mugshots, I
> bet... and unlike them she has talent plus a vivacious personality.

Well said!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Apr 15, 6:57 pm, Goomba > wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
> thing" remark?

Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.
But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
attractive people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 7:19*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > This is a "must see". * *She was on Nightly News.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

> She's fantastic. *She's got an amazing voice. *Unlike the American Idol
> shows where they (usually) won't let anyone in over age 25, all glitzed and
> glamourized, they're listening to pure talent. *She has a lovely voice.
>
> Jill

It shouldn't be compared to American Idol - they are completely
different. The Brits have something called "Pop Star" or the like
that is like Idol. We have "America's Got Talent," just like the Brit
show. One has an age limit (in both countries); one doesn't. One is
purely singing (in both countries); one is a variety show (also in
both countries.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 9:15*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
> >> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
> >> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
> >> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> > And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
> > thing" remark?

> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.
> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
> attractive people.

Maybe she's happy with the way she is. And.... what's attractive to
one is ugly to another. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Jill wrote:

> She's fantastic. She's got an amazing voice. Unlike the American Idol
> shows where they (usually) won't let anyone in over age 25, all glitzed
> and glamourized, they're listening to pure talent. She has a lovely voice.

Susan does have a lovely voice.

On Idol the age limit is 28 for auditioning (originally it was 26). In
fact, Taylor Hicks was 29 when he won and Bo Bice was the same age when
he lost to Carrie Underwood. They've had their share of fuglies, but
those contestants typically don't get very far in the competition.

Have you caught "America's Got Talent"? They had a couple of wonderful
opera singers this last season. The group in Britain that had Susan
Boyle competing produces the American version. Piers Morgan judges in
the American version as well. Simon Cowell is the creator and a producer
for all the various versions of "_____ Got Talent." Simon also judges
for the British version.

"Idol" and "AGT" are a couple of my guilty pleasures. ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

>> My late mother in law would have referred to her as being unfortunate
>> looking. She does have a great voice.
>>

> She's not as unfortunate looking as those who won't put up their mugshots,
> I bet... and unlike them she has talent plus a vivacious personality.

Right on.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

>> And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
>> thing" remark?

> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.
> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
> attractive people.

That's not only untrue it's extremely shallow. It's all relative... beauty
is in the eye of the beholder... there's a stick for every broom. One man's
junk is another man's treasure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed>>>
>>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of>>>
>>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she >
> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..>
> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously) >
> attractive people.

But doesn't it seem curious that attractiveness should have anything to do
with eyebrows?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> That's not only untrue it's extremely shallow. It's all relative... beauty
> is in the eye of the beholder... there's a stick for every broom. One man's
> junk is another man's treasure.

I just watched a televised interview with her and she hints that there
may be a make-over in the works.

She just might get that first kiss after all (though I don't think it's
her looks that have kept that from happening).

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> This is a "must see". She was on Nightly News.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
>>

> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

OMG, I almost choked on a mini marshmallow. lol

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

>> And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
>> thing" remark?

> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.
> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
> attractive people.

And that, although true, is a sad statement of human nature. The woman is
unemployed and put her life on hold to care for an ailing mother. She was
clean and neat, if not decked out to the nines. She used what she had. She
said that she had had some voice training in the past. It looks like the
song she sang "I Dreamed a Dream" was almost autobiographical. If her life
hadn't been waylaid by an ailing mother, she may have been well known by now
and wearing the expensive clothing and having expensive hair cuts and
makeup. Kudos to her for having the guts to step up and grab her chance now
despite knowing that people would be judging her unfairly.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>> Amazing untapped talent though the poor thing needs to take a weed
>>> whacker to those brows! They alone may have hindered her chances of
>>> getting that first kiss... very distracting!

>> And...I suppose you are a Richard Geer? And...what's with the "poor
>> thing" remark?

> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.
> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even
> subconsciously) attractive people.

You are highly more attractive than someone who is just "ordinary". I
did notice, the longer Susan Boyle talked, the more attractive she
became.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> Maybe she's happy with the way she is. And.... what's attractive to
> one is ugly to another. :-)

Well.. since she complained that she'd never been kissed, I imagine one
might ask what could be keeping the beaus at bay?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message

>> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
>> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
>> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
>> attractive people.

> That's not only untrue it's extremely shallow. It's all relative... beauty
> is in the eye of the beholder... there's a stick for every broom. One man's
> junk is another man's treasure.

It is entirely true, Sheldon. Sociologists and Anthropologists have long
and often studied our penchant towards the more attractive and the
particular features we seek when it comes to mating.
And as for Susan Boyle- it seems to be contributing to her "never been
kissed" 48 year old life. So perhaps someone would do her a favor by
taking her aside and helping her polish it up a bit. I saw an
attractive woman in a gorgeous dress (with lovely personality) with
horrible bushy eyebrows and a bad hair style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> But doesn't it seem curious that attractiveness should have anything to do
> with eyebrows?

Well.. it was hard to get passed the brows, IMO. She does herself a
disservice by maintaining such an unusual crop of hair on her face.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> That's not only untrue it's extremely shallow. It's all relative...
>> beauty is in the eye of the beholder... there's a stick for every
>> broom. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

> I just watched a televised interview with her and she hints that there
> may be a make-over in the works.
>
> She just might get that first kiss after all (though I don't think it's
> her looks that have kept that from happening).
>
> --Lin

She seemed charming enough on the show-lively and happy. What do you
think might have caused a dearth of boyfriends?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Goomba wrote:

> She seemed charming enough on the show-lively and happy. What do you
> think might have caused a dearth of boyfriends?

Indeed she did, though her body language said she was scared sh*tless. I
had a few things come to mind. Low self-esteem and never jumped that
ship; overprotective/overbearing parents -- seems she'd been their
designated caretaker; or maybe she likes women and for whatever reason
didn't pursue that option (religion?) When she said that she didn't want
to comment on the 'never been kissed' angle, it made me wonder.

And the lack of warmth from her sister in a congratulatory card made me
wonder if she is the black (and extremely woolly) sheep in the family

All speculation on my part. I do hope she continues doing well and can
get in on what life has to offer. Late bloomer, perhaps? ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.

Nonsense! You're a dish!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message

> > But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
> > polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
> > Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
> > attractive people.

> And that, although true, is a sad statement of human nature. The woman is
> unemployed and put her life on hold to care for an ailing mother. She was
> clean and neat, if not decked out to the nines.
> Debbie

I think she *was* decked out to the nines. Five plus four, or six and
three, or eight and one ‹ they all add to nine. "-0)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.

> Nonsense! You're a dish!!

Hoggit or haggis?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Debbie" > wrote:
>
>> "Goomba" > wrote in message

>>> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
>>> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
>>> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
>>> attractive people.

>> And that, although true, is a sad statement of human nature. The woman is
>> unemployed and put her life on hold to care for an ailing mother. She was
>> clean and neat, if not decked out to the nines.
>> Debbie

> I think she *was* decked out to the nines. Five plus four, or six and
> three, or eight and one ‹ they all add to nine. "-0)

I know a couple of small towns in Louisiana and Texas where she would be
Queen of the Prom. She has all her teeth, she's not cross-eyed nor
knock-kneed plus she's a good singer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> I know a couple of small towns in Louisiana and Texas where she would be
> Queen of the Prom. She has all her teeth, she's not cross-eyed nor
> knock-kneed plus she's a good singer.

ohmygosh... everytime I *go* to LA I'm always stunned by the state of
dental health there. I have marveled that teeth seem to have such a
short lifespan there?? One is born toothless, has them on loan until
they're 20, then zip! They're toothless again!
I'll be back in LA for a week in May, so I'll have to research it again.
LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Goomba > wrote:
>>
>>> Feh, no, I'm no Richard Gere. I'm sort of ordinary looking.

>> Nonsense! You're a dish!!

> Hoggit or haggis?

<deadpan look> ravioli, I hope!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Goomba" wrote:

>>> But it doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that perhaps if she
>>> polished up the package a bit, she'd have more opportunity to play..
>>> Human nature being what it is, we do tend to favor (even subconsciously)
>>> attractive people.

>> That's not only untrue it's extremely shallow. It's all relative...
>> beauty is in the eye of the beholder... there's a stick for every broom.
>> One man's junk is another man's treasure.
>>

> It is entirely true, Sheldon. Sociologists and Anthropologists have long
> and often studied our penchant towards the more attractive and the
> particular features we seek when it comes to mating.

That's only true in so far as how one defines *their* attractiveness.
Antropologists and socialogists have proven that men look for the
physicality of females that can bear children. And females look for males
who can feed, clothe and support them and their children. Superficial
physical charicteristics play no part whatsoever... in fact they look for
someone who is not so pretty of face so that there will be fewer who will
try to steal them away.

Those who think exterior attractiveness is at the top of the mating list are
those who have an overinflated image of their own appearance... hardly
anyone ever looks at the face of their partner during sexual encounters and
in fact most fantacise about someone else, typically someone more physically
attractive but who is less likely to want and/or able to have children
and/or is less able to support the family. Hollywood is filled with so
called attractive types, that are throw aways... and most only look
attractive in their professionally applied make up and expensive clothing,
but don't look at them first thing in the morning. The planet just doesn't
contain all that many physcally attractive people, the majority are very
ordinary, not even very memorable looking. But put Susan Boyle's image on
the big screen for a month and no one will ever forget her... she's for real
in every way possible and that's as attractive as attractive gets...
superficial beauty fades, dumb is forever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

>> It is entirely true, Sheldon. Sociologists and Anthropologists have long
>> and often studied our penchant towards the more attractive and the
>> particular features we seek when it comes to mating.

> That's only true in so far as how one defines *their* attractiveness.
> Antropologists and socialogists have proven that men look for the
> physicality of females that can bear children. And females look for males
> who can feed, clothe and support them and their children. Superficial
> physical charicteristics play no part whatsoever... in fact they look for
> someone who is not so pretty of face so that there will be fewer who will
> try to steal them away.

Like the old song says:

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So from my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

But that is just a song. People tend to be attracted to good looking
people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Nonsense! You're a dish!!

>> Hoggit or haggis?

> <deadpan look> ravioli, I hope!

Big round ravioli, I hope!

OT Hello, Susan? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 22 23-08-2014 04:51 AM
Ping Susan W. Baker Diabetic 13 01-12-2012 02:54 AM
Watch The Susan Boyle Story here! Mariotus Stangbetzner General Cooking 3 19-12-2009 02:00 AM
Who in the heck is Susan Boyle? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 37 23-04-2009 02:53 AM
Susan! [email protected] Preserving 0 15-12-2008 04:21 AM