Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar Cured Country Ham

I figured it out. It's a ruse to attract people who hate the salty crap
(even properly prepared and "sliced paper thin to release the full country
flavor") and make them buy it anyway.

I'm betting that enough of them miss the fact that is is cured with 8 cups
of salt and 2 cups of sugar that it works, too.

Refrigeration. It's a good thing.

Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?

Do you think they LIKED all that salt?

IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:07:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I figured it out. It's a ruse to attract people who hate the salty crap
>(even properly prepared and "sliced paper thin to release the full country
>flavor") and make them buy it anyway.
>
>I'm betting that enough of them miss the fact that is is cured with 8 cups
>of salt and 2 cups of sugar that it works, too.
>
>Refrigeration. It's a good thing.
>
>Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?
>
>Do you think they LIKED all that salt?
>
>IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

I sense a little reticence. Let it out, hon. We're here for you!

Carol, who doesn't like salty food, but finds Smithfield ham strangely
and strongly addictive (Maybe it's the way Boli slices it)

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:07:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>I figured it out. It's a ruse to attract people who hate the salty crap
>>(even properly prepared and "sliced paper thin to release the full country
>>flavor") and make them buy it anyway.
>>
>>I'm betting that enough of them miss the fact that is is cured with 8 cups
>>of salt and 2 cups of sugar that it works, too.
>>
>>Refrigeration. It's a good thing.
>>
>>Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?
>>
>>Do you think they LIKED all that salt?
>>
>>IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

> I sense a little reticence. Let it out, hon. We're here for you!
>
> Carol, who doesn't like salty food, but finds Smithfield ham strangely
> and strongly addictive (Maybe it's the way Boli slices it)

I gotta be me. But I would defend your right to love country ham, Smithfield
or otherwise, to the death. Just don't believe there is such a thing as
"sugar cured" country ham, e.g., country ham that is not cured primarily
with SALT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:52:02 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:07:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I figured it out. It's a ruse to attract people who hate the salty crap
>>>(even properly prepared and "sliced paper thin to release the full country
>>>flavor") and make them buy it anyway.
>>>
>>>I'm betting that enough of them miss the fact that is is cured with 8 cups
>>>of salt and 2 cups of sugar that it works, too.
>>>
>>>Refrigeration. It's a good thing.
>>>
>>>Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?
>>>
>>>Do you think they LIKED all that salt?
>>>
>>>IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

>> I sense a little reticence. Let it out, hon. We're here for you!
>>
>> Carol, who doesn't like salty food, but finds Smithfield ham strangely
>> and strongly addictive (Maybe it's the way Boli slices it)
>>

>I gotta be me. But I would defend your right to love country ham, Smithfield
>or otherwise, to the death. Just don't believe there is such a thing as
>"sugar cured" country ham, e.g., country ham that is not cured primarily
>with SALT.

You just don't understand the terminology or it has been used
incorrectly to give you the wrong impression. A sugar cured country
ham does, indeed, have lots of salt in the cure mixture, but also
includes sugar. These hams can be cured with salt and NO sugar or with
a combo...when it's a combo, it's referred to as "sugar cured."

All sorts of country ham cure instructions he

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-223/458-223.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:07:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I figured it out. It's a ruse to attract people who hate the salty crap
>>>(even properly prepared and "sliced paper thin to release the full country
>>>flavor") and make them buy it anyway.
>>>
>>>I'm betting that enough of them miss the fact that is is cured with 8 cups
>>>of salt and 2 cups of sugar that it works, too.
>>>
>>>Refrigeration. It's a good thing.
>>>
>>>Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?
>>>
>>>Do you think they LIKED all that salt?
>>>
>>>IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

>> I sense a little reticence. Let it out, hon. We're here for you!
>>
>> Carol, who doesn't like salty food, but finds Smithfield ham strangely
>> and strongly addictive (Maybe it's the way Boli slices it)
>>>

>I gotta be me. But I would defend your right to love country ham, Smithfield
>or otherwise, to the death. Just don't believe there is such a thing as
>"sugar cured" country ham, e.g., country ham that is not cured primarily
>with SALT.

Naw, I hear ya. I wouldn't pay those prices for a salt lick, myself.
But it's been a nice treat the two times I've had it. I could never
go through a whole one at home, though.

Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote:

> You just don't understand the terminology or it has been used
> incorrectly to give you the wrong impression. A sugar cured country
> ham does, indeed, have lots of salt in the cure mixture, but also
> includes sugar. These hams can be cured with salt and NO sugar or with
> a combo...when it's a combo, it's referred to as "sugar cured."

Sigh. I KNOW that. It's an empty, stupid term for a ****ing country ham that
is still salty as hell. As in, salt cured. Jesus Weeping Christ.

> All sorts of country ham cure instructions he
>
> http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-223/458-223.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>

>> Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!

Are they as cheap, though?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:58:54 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote:
>>>

>> You just don't understand the terminology or it has been used
>> incorrectly to give you the wrong impression. A sugar cured country
>> ham does, indeed, have lots of salt in the cure mixture, but also
>> includes sugar. These hams can be cured with salt and NO sugar or with
>> a combo...when it's a combo, it's referred to as "sugar cured."

>Sigh. I KNOW that. It's an empty, stupid term for a ****ing country ham that
>is still salty as hell. As in, salt cured. Jesus Weeping Christ.

It's a descriptive term to let a preparer or purchaser know what is
used in the cure. Pretty simple.

That you do not like salty ham has nothing whatsoever to do with the
descriptors generally *used* for country ham cures. This is the
common terminology. Just as you would need to be familiar with such
terminology to understand what you were making or purchasing for other
specialized foods, it is what it is. You learn the terms or look like
an idiot when talking about the specialized food item. Your
preferences are irrelevant to the topic itself.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:35:56 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

>> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!

>Are they as cheap, though?

Yup. No club card needed and they are always in stock.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:12:13 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

>Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!

ROFL!!!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:58:54 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote:
>>>>

>>> You just don't understand the terminology or it has been used
>>> incorrectly to give you the wrong impression. A sugar cured country
>>> ham does, indeed, have lots of salt in the cure mixture, but also
>>> includes sugar. These hams can be cured with salt and NO sugar or with
>>> a combo...when it's a combo, it's referred to as "sugar cured."

>>Sigh. I KNOW that. It's an empty, stupid term for a ****ing country ham
>>that
>>is still salty as hell. As in, salt cured. Jesus Weeping Christ.

> It's a descriptive term to let a preparer or purchaser know what is
> used in the cure. Pretty simple.

Right. You completely missed the context of the original post. I was simply
distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I think
I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to afford
herself the opportunity to correct someone.

Now **** off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>

>> Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt
>>

> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!
>
> Boron

Hey, I didn't know you could see through the monitor! <blushing>

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:55:19 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt
>>>

>> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!
>>
>> Boron
>>

>Hey, I didn't know you could see through the monitor! <blushing>
>

>Becca

Ya gotta wear clothes when you surf the net!

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote:

> Why return to the hams of your technologically impoverished forbears?

Because sometimes traditional equals good. Consider wine.

> Do you think they LIKED all that salt?

Humans have a metabolic need for salt. Avoid it thoroughly
enough, cravings for it grow. Keep avoiding it and you get
ill. It's part of why so much modern food is over salted. So
yes I do think they liked salt. I also think they soaked hams
to reduce the salt level so to some degree I see your
aversion to salt as out of the average but not extremely rare.

> IT WAS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAD TO PRESERVE MEAT.

A Thai restaurant near me offers pork jerky. I bought some
and tried it. Good but too much sugar for my tastes. Dried
so completely it could be powdered for pemmican. Almost
all commercial brands of jerky made from other critters have
too much sugar to me so this stuff at almost candied was
way past what I expect from jerky.

Drying, salting, sugaring, immersing in fat (usually comfee'
style duck or goose rendered fat) that has to be melted off
before eating. Luktefisk is fermented. Soaked in brandy.
Pickled in vinegar. Among those I hadn't had luktefisk and
I thought brandied chicken was nasty.

The oldest preservation method there is is also a way to
improve the flavor. It's a trick that's been in use for about
two million years - cooking. It's not as effective as those
other methods for longevity but it's better than just sitting
out in the wild raw.

Canned meat? In my desk is a can of Hormel beef marked
"Product of Argentina". I keep it in case I need to work
through the evening. I consider it a hard ration in the sense
that i'm not tempted to eat it under ordinary cirumstances
but I won't hestitate in an emergency. At times I've had a
can of Spam in my desk as a hard ration but I discovered I
would rather wait until the work was over and seek out a
24/7 place on the way home rather than eat it - No hot plate
at the office and I really only eat Spam hot off the griddle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:58:54 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> Sigh. I KNOW that. It's an empty, stupid term for a ****ing country ham
>>> that
>>> is still salty as hell. As in, salt cured. Jesus Weeping Christ.

>> It's a descriptive term to let a preparer or purchaser know what is
>> used in the cure. Pretty simple.
>>

> Right. You completely missed the context of the original post. I was simply
> distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I think
> I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to afford
> herself the opportunity to correct someone.
>
> Now **** off.

I don;t think there is such a thing as a non salt cured ham.
For more info...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Ham/index.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote
> The oldest preservation method there is is also a way to
> improve the flavor. It's a trick that's been in use for about
> two million years - cooking. It's not as effective as those
> other methods for longevity but it's better than just sitting
> out in the wild raw.

I thought you were going to say "spices." I read a while back that spices
were used in Middle Eastern cooking to either preserve or mask off flavors.

> Canned meat? In my desk is a can of Hormel beef marked
> "Product of Argentina". I keep it in case I need to work
> through the evening.

When I backpacked across Europe I partook of a can of beanee weenee on
occasion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:00:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:58:54 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>Sigh. I KNOW that. It's an empty, stupid term for a ****ing country ham
>>>that
>>>is still salty as hell. As in, salt cured. Jesus Weeping Christ.

>> It's a descriptive term to let a preparer or purchaser know what is
>> used in the cure. Pretty simple.
>>

>Right. You completely missed the context of the original post.

Nope. You were pretty strident in your tirade.

> I was simply
>distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I think
>I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to afford
>herself the opportunity to correct someone.

Yeah, and you were sticking your nose in to try to show off, but you
****ed up, now didn't you?

>Now **** off.

I wouldn't dream of it until you had your foolishness pointed out to
everyone in great detail, and even then, given the opportunity to
tweak you yet again would prove irresistible.

You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:55:56 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:00:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> It's a descriptive term to let a preparer or purchaser know what is
>>> used in the cure. Pretty simple.

>>Right. You completely missed the context of the original post.

>Nope. You were pretty strident in your tirade.
>
>> I was simply
>>distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I think
>>I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to afford
>>herself the opportunity to correct someone.

>Yeah, and you were sticking your nose in to try to show off, but you
>****ed up, now didn't you?
>>
>>Now **** off.

>I wouldn't dream of it until you had your foolishness pointed out to
>everyone in great detail, and even then, given the opportunity to
>tweak you yet again would prove irresistible.
>
>You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kettle Corn

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Signature Dishes Snacks-Sweet

vegetable oil
popcorn
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
salt -- for sprinkling

In a three-quart saucepan (or "kettle") with a tight-fitting lid, pour
enough oil to cover to a depth of about one-half the size of a popcorn
kernel. Add two "test" kernels of popcorn, and turn heat to medium
high. When the test kernels pop, the oil is hot enough to continue.

Quickly pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the saucepan in
an even layer. Sprinkle the sugar over the unpopped kernels, and
place the lid on the pan. As the corn pops, shake the pan
occasionally to assure that unpopped kernels reach the bottom of the
pan. When the lid starts to lift off the pan and the popping slows or
stops, remove pan from heat.

Pour popped corn into a large bowl or several smaller ones. Dust
lightly with salt.

Yield:
"12 cups"

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Kettle Corn
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Signature Dishes Snacks-Sweet

> vegetable oil
> popcorn
> 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
> salt -- for sprinkling
>
> In a three-quart saucepan (or "kettle") with a tight-fitting lid, pour
> enough oil to cover to a depth of about one-half the size of a popcorn
> kernel. Add two "test" kernels of popcorn, and turn heat to medium
> high. When the test kernels pop, the oil is hot enough to continue.
>
> Quickly pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the saucepan in
> an even layer. Sprinkle the sugar over the unpopped kernels, and
> place the lid on the pan. As the corn pops, shake the pan
> occasionally to assure that unpopped kernels reach the bottom of the
> pan. When the lid starts to lift off the pan and the popping slows or
> stops, remove pan from heat.
>
> Pour popped corn into a large bowl or several smaller ones. Dust
> lightly with salt.
>
> Yield:
> "12 cups"

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:12:40 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Kettle Corn
>>

>Thanks!

You betcha! Enjoy!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:55:56 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:00:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
>>wrote:

>>>Right. You completely missed the context of the original post.

>>Nope. You were pretty strident in your tirade.
>>
>>> I was simply
>>>distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I
>>>think
>>>I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to
>>>afford
>>>herself the opportunity to correct someone.

>>Yeah, and you were sticking your nose in to try to show off, but you
>>****ed up, now didn't you?
>>>
>>>Now **** off.

>>I wouldn't dream of it until you had your foolishness pointed out to
>>everyone in great detail, and even then, given the opportunity to
>>tweak you yet again would prove irresistible.
>>
>>You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

> Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.

I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a little
different.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.

>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a little
>different.

Smart-ass! <insert Boli here, protesting and acting all
innocent-like>

(Sounds good)

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron wrote to cyber****:

> You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

It *would* be difficult to tell the difference if the hole were six inches
in diameter and surrounded by open sores.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:55:56 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

m...

>>>Nope. You were pretty strident in your tirade.

>>>Yeah, and you were sticking your nose in to try to show off, but you
>>>****ed up, now didn't you?

>>>I wouldn't dream of it until you had your foolishness pointed out to
>>>everyone in great detail, and even then, given the opportunity to
>>>tweak you yet again would prove irresistible.
>>>
>>>You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

>> Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.
>>

>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a little
>different.
>
>Boli

I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!

http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:55:56 -0400, Boron Elgar

om...

>>> Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.
>>>

>>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a
>>little
>>different.
>>
>>Boli
>>

> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>
> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112

I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:55:37 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>>>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a
>>>little different.

>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>
>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112

>I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

OMG ... you know the phrase, "busted a gut, laughing?" I think Crash
just did! I don't think it'll require hospitalization.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:56:28 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:55:37 -0400, "cybercat" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>>
>>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112

>>I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

>OMG ... you know the phrase, "busted a gut, laughing?" I think Crash
>just did! I don't think it'll require hospitalization.
>
>Carol

I love salt and am one those folks completely unaffected by it.

Laughing, on the other hand, risks gut busting with me, too.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Drying, salting, sugaring, immersing in fat (usually comfee'
> style duck or goose rendered fat)...

You mean confit?

Traditional confit making also involved salting the meat to be preserved
before immersing it in its own rendered fat.

> The oldest preservation method there is is also a way to
> improve the flavor. It's a trick that's been in use for about
> two million years - cooking.

I really doubt that cooking food was intended as a means of preserving
it, since it doesn't. Palatability improves with cooking, but it doesn't
really last longer - in fact spoilage is often hastened because of handling.

> It's not as effective as those
> other methods for longevity but it's better than just sitting
> out in the wild raw.

Says who? Lots of raw food exists out in the wild for years without
going bad. Don't kill it 'til you can use it, and then use every bit of
it. That's the secret!

> Canned meat? In my desk is a can of Hormel beef marked
> "Product of Argentina". I keep it in case I need to work
> through the evening. I consider it a hard ration in the sense
> that i'm not tempted to eat it under ordinary cirumstances
> but I won't hestitate in an emergency. At times I've had a
> can of Spam in my desk as a hard ration but I discovered I
> would rather wait until the work was over and seek out a
> 24/7 place on the way home rather than eat it - No hot plate
> at the office and I really only eat Spam hot off the griddle.

I must live in an entirely different universe than yours. Where is
working late an emergency?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
> wrote:
>

>>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a
>>little
>>different.
>>
>>Boli
>>

> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>
> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112
>
> Boron

Bring it on, Boron. That'll be a good chance to compare the difference in
flavors of a regular country ham and a Gen. Smithfield Ham. The GSH is
defined by state law, from the diet of the pig all the way through the cure
used and the length of time curing. It really does taste different from
other country hams. I've been to Edwards' store in Surry a few times and
sampled their different hams (and other of their products - I just *love*
sampling, hehehe).

This is gonna be good party from the way it's stacking up so far. lol

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:12:13 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>>Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!
>
> Boron

they're family-sized, too!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> news

>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
>> wrote:

>>>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>>>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a
>>>little
>>>different.
>>>
>>>Boli
>>>

>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>
>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112
>>

> I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

I can't speak for Boron, but I'm already fat as a mantee. Great big butt
(but comfortable on long rides like this will entail). Big belly that hangs
just far enough over my belt to keep me from having to see my ugly feet. I
forget how many chins I see now when I look in the mirror. (I try not to do
that very often, not a pretty sight). Flabby arms.

But all that is worth it to be able to enjoy good country hams and Gen.
Smithfields.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bolivar" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> news

m...

>>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>>
>>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112
>>>

>> I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

> I can't speak for Boron, but I'm already fat as a mantee. Great big butt
> (but comfortable on long rides like this will entail). Big belly that
> hangs just far enough over my belt to keep me from having to see my ugly
> feet. I forget how many chins I see now when I look in the mirror. (I try
> not to do that very often, not a pretty sight). Flabby arms.
>
> But all that is worth it to be able to enjoy good country hams and Gen.
> Smithfields.

Well, good then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:22:54 -0400, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>news >
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:42:40 -0400, "bolivar" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I'll bring the Genuine Smithfield Ham and the cheese biscuits and pear
>>>slices. And maybe some garlic jelly for when we want something a
>>>little
>>>different.
>>>
>>>Boli
>>>

>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>
>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112
>>
>> Boron

>Bring it on, Boron. That'll be a good chance to compare the difference in
>flavors of a regular country ham and a Gen. Smithfield Ham. The GSH is
>defined by state law, from the diet of the pig all the way through the cure
>used and the length of time curing. It really does taste different from
>other country hams. I've been to Edwards' store in Surry a few times and
>sampled their different hams (and other of their products - I just *love*
>sampling, hehehe).
>
>This is gonna be good party from the way it's stacking up so far. lol
>
>Boli

This is my first ham from Edwards, although I have ordered other
things from them, in particular, their pepper bacon is magnificent.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:24:04 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:12:13 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Carol, working the leftovers of a cheap-o Cook's butt

>> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!
>>
>> Boron

>they're family-sized, too!
>
>your pal,
>blake

Commodious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:31:03 -0400, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> news

m...

>>> I have one of these hams in the pantry right now and am going to make
>>> it this weekend...I'll be happy to serve it up!
>>>
>>> http://virginiatraditions.com/produc...cd2=1239884112
>>>

>> I hope you both retain so much fluid you look like manatees.

>I can't speak for Boron, but I'm already fat as a mantee. Great big butt
>(but comfortable on long rides like this will entail). Big belly that hangs
>just far enough over my belt to keep me from having to see my ugly feet. I
>forget how many chins I see now when I look in the mirror. (I try not to do
>that very often, not a pretty sight). Flabby arms.
>
>But all that is worth it to be able to enjoy good country hams and Gen.
>Smithfields.
>
>Boli

Well, I used to be pretty porky, but these days I am a size 4. Flabby
arms are there to amuse young children. Think of them as just another
way to wave hello.

I still like a nice chunk of salty ham, though.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I can't speak for Boron, but I'm already fat as a mantee. Great big butt
>(but comfortable on long rides like this will entail). Big belly that hangs
>just far enough over my belt to keep me from having to see my ugly feet. I
>forget how many chins I see now when I look in the mirror. (I try not to do
>that very often, not a pretty sight). Flabby arms.
>
>But all that is worth it to be able to enjoy good country hams and Gen.
>Smithfields.

What have you been smoking, dude???

Carol, who has spent quality time with Boli and knows that he has zero
percent body fat

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:24:04 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:12:13 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:43:45 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress

>>> Gotta laugh. We have a lot of cooks' butts in this group!
>>>
>>> Boron

>>they're family-sized, too!
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> Commodious.

Abondanza!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Carol, who has spent quality time with Boli and knows that he has zero
> percent body fat

Yeah, that one had me scratchin' my head too.. If he's got any fat on
him he's hiding it under the beard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:11:01 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>

> >Carol, who has spent quality time with Boli and knows that he has zero
> >percent body fat

> Same here. Zero butt too.

Somebody ought to feed that poor guy! And get his glasses fixed so he
doesn't have to keep pushing them up!

(see the mugshots page to see what I mean!)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"Dan Abel = Duplicitous NetKKKop [WAS: DK StinKin' MOTHER****ER]"
(subject of post on rec.food.cooking dated April 15, 2009}

Smithfield Picnic or "Piggy" country dry cured pork shoulder? Kent[_2_] General Cooking 11 16-10-2017 02:58 AM
Dry Cured Ham?? Kent Preserving 3 26-07-2006 08:57 PM
Brown Sugar and Orange Cured Salmon Kevin Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2004 12:09 PM
WHEAT,BEET SUGAR,CANE SUGAR,YELLOW CORN,MILK POWER,etc. krzysiek Marketplace 0 02-03-2004 09:33 PM