Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sugar Cured Country Ham

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:58:26 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:11:01 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >Carol, who has spent quality time with Boli and knows that he has zero
>> >percent body fat

>> Same here. Zero butt too.

>Somebody ought to feed that poor guy! And get his glasses fixed so he
>doesn't have to keep pushing them up!
>
>(see the mugshots page to see what I mean!)

ROFL!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:55:56 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:00:07 -0400, "cybercat" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>Right. You completely missed the context of the original post.

> >Nope. You were pretty strident in your tirade.
> >
> >> I was simply
> >>distinguishing between salt-cured ham and non-salt-cured ham, which I think
> >>I called sweet ham or sugar-cured. Christine was splitting hairs to afford
> >>herself the opportunity to correct someone.

> >Yeah, and you were sticking your nose in to try to show off, but you
> >****ed up, now didn't you?
> >>
> >>Now **** off.

> >I wouldn't dream of it until you had your foolishness pointed out to
> >everyone in great detail, and even then, given the opportunity to
> >tweak you yet again would prove irresistible.
> >
> >You really don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

> Barb, you grab the lawn chairs. I'll do the kettle corn.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Kettle Corn
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson

(snipped)

Oooh, ooh, I heard my name! I got a new cover for my director's chair
(Two bucks when Cost Plus World Market folded here).

Chick fight!! We can put on YouTube or something and make a fortune!
Yeah, that's the ticket.

OB Cooking (I know, I know -- WTF is talk about food doing on a food
group?) : Spaghetti for supper tonight. Cub has ground chuck roast
on sale for $1.89 for the next couple weeks and it's good stuff! I'll
be buying some for the freezer in the next couple weeks.

I used a couple pounds in the vat of spaghetti sauce along with
processor-chopped onion, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Tomato
"stuff" is Hunt's crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes (buzzed in the fp
to make them into unidentfiable tomato stuff so as to not offend the
sensibilities of Himself) that I picked up in February for a buck a can
(these mamas are 28 ounce cans). Helluva deal. Lotsa basil, oregano,
fake parsley, black pepper. And a glass of Shiraz. "Hey! Who's
drinking my wine?" I'll neutralize some of the acid in the sauce when
I start cooking the pasta.

Back to the catfight: I'll bring some caramel corn:
Caramel Corn - Old Dutch Style

1 Bag of Old Dutch Puffcorn (syrup can support two bags)
1 Cup of Butter (Not Margarine)
1 1/4 Cups of Brown Sugar
2/3 Cup of Light Corn Syrup
1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda

* Preheat oven to 250?F.
* Combine butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup in a 2 quart
sauce pan.
* Cook on medium heat until mixture has melted.
* Once mixture has melted add the baking soda. (Note: This will
cause the mixture to foam)
* In a large roaster pan pour Old Dutch Puffcorn and pour caramel
mixture over the Old Dutch Puffcorn and stir until mixed.
* Place in oven for 45 minutes, stirring at least every 10-15
minutes.
* Remove from oven, pour on wax paper and break apart.
* Let cool and ENJOY!

Recipe Variations:

* For a scrumptious addition to this already delicious recipe
drizzle melted chocolate over the mixture after you remove it from the
oven!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb provided:

> Back to the catfight: I'll bring some caramel corn:
> Caramel Corn - Old Dutch Style
>
> 1 Bag of Old Dutch Puffcorn (syrup can support two bags)
> 1 Cup of Butter (Not Margarine)
> 1 1/4 Cups of Brown Sugar
> 2/3 Cup of Light Corn Syrup
> 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
>
> * Preheat oven to 250?F.
> * Combine butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup in a 2 quart
> sauce pan.
> * Cook on medium heat until mixture has melted.
> * Once mixture has melted add the baking soda. (Note: This will
> cause the mixture to foam)
> * In a large roaster pan pour Old Dutch Puffcorn and pour caramel
> mixture over the Old Dutch Puffcorn and stir until mixed.
> * Place in oven for 45 minutes, stirring at least every 10-15
> minutes.
> * Remove from oven, pour on wax paper and break apart.
> * Let cool and ENJOY!
>
> Recipe Variations:
>
> * For a scrumptious addition to this already delicious recipe
> drizzle melted chocolate over the mixture after you remove it from the
> oven!

I've been seriously considering making this stuff:

http://alineaathome.typepad.com/alin...liquefied.html

(or http://preview.tinyurl.com/deqwtr for tinyurl lovers)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline > wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > It's not as effective as those
> > other methods for longevity but it's better than just sitting
> > out in the wild raw.

> Says who? Lots of raw food exists out in the wild for years without
> going bad. Don't kill it 'til you can use it, and then use every bit of
> it. That's the secret!

Chortle! Raw beef without a fridge spoils in under a day
unless treated carefully. Cooked beef without a fridge
spoils in over a day unless treated carefully. Live beef
without a fridge does in fact last a *lot* longer. It just
gets tough and more flavorful. And potentially turns into
more cows if you're careful about stocking the fields
carefully ...

> > Canned meat? *In my desk is a can of Hormel beef marked
> > "Product of Argentina". *I keep it in case I need to work
> > through the evening. *I consider it a hard ration in the sense
> > that i'm not tempted to eat it under ordinary cirumstances
> > but I won't hestitate in an emergency ...

> I must live in an entirely different universe than yours. Where is
> working late an emergency?

If a conference call starts at 9AM and it's 2AM with no sign
the work will be completed before noon the next day and I
haven't had lunch yet not to mention dinner or any other
break but the bathroom, I'm hungry enough to eat canned
meat straight out of the can. For me such calls at work
happen about every 2 years. The jobs that pay overtime I
don't much mind them.

Note to self - This year's can doesn't have a key to open it.
Bring in a spare can opener. Canned beef lasts even longer
than beef on the hoof. Especially if I don't have a can
opener. Checking the tool pouch on my belt. Ah ha. It's
got one. At 2AM that one is plenty good enough. No need
to bring in a can opener.

Smithfield Picnic or "Piggy" country dry cured pork shoulder? Kent[_2_] General Cooking 11 16-10-2017 02:58 AM
Dry Cured Ham?? Kent Preserving 3 26-07-2006 08:57 PM
Brown Sugar and Orange Cured Salmon Kevin Recipes (moderated) 0 11-06-2004 12:09 PM
WHEAT,BEET SUGAR,CANE SUGAR,YELLOW CORN,MILK POWER,etc. krzysiek Marketplace 0 02-03-2004 10:33 PM