Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food in late 60's, early 70's

Hi!

I was hoping somebody might help me?

We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
food...
The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

(do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)

Regards

Anja
Posted to rec.food.cooking

anja wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>
> Regards
>
> Anja

Is that food from any specific area of the world in the 60's and 70's?
American food?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:00:48 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>anja wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>>
>> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
>> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
>> food...
>> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>>
>> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Anja

>Is that food from any specific area of the world in the 60's and 70's?
>American food?

We did fondue about that time. Was novel, we were poor and it was
yummy and fun.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was a kid then, but, looking back, seems a bad time for fashion and
food.
Have you seen that Life on Mars cop show set then? Pretty good.
Drunk cops.

An odd idea for a party, but wish I could be there. Are you going to
be wearing Carnaby Street polka dots, bell bottems, medallions and
nehrue collars?

My folks were not great cooks. I remember overcooked meat and canned
veg. Casseroles.

The cookbook pictures from that time are great. Somehow hadn't got
the color photography right .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

anja wrote:

> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

Here's more than enough recipes:

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT), anja >
wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
>We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
>Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
>food...
>The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
>(do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)

You need fondue for sure. Appetizers with toothpicks in them. Cubes
of cheese will do. Oh and California dip which was a Lipton onion
soup packet mixed into a container of sour cream. Serve with potato
chips. Guacamole and salsa were just becoming popular back then and
Fritos were the only corn chip to be found. I used to make rumaki
too. I first ate spaghetti and clams - and ARTICHOKES around that
time. The memories are flooding back. A fun dessert would be squares
of that layered jello you pick up and eat with your fingers. I forget
what it's called.

This should get you started
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...70&btnG=Search

What part of the country are you in? Have the people who are hosting
interviewed their parents (or grandparents) to find out what they
served/ate at parties back then?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(anja) ASKED:
>Hi!
>I was hoping somebody might help me?
>We are throwing a party in may, themed over late
>60's -early 70's. Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this,
>and i'm responisibile for the food...
>The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot
>and cold food and some desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>(do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>Regards
>Anja

http://www.robinsweb.com/70s/70s_party_foods.html

http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 3:38*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> anja wrote:
>
> > We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> > Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> > food...
> > The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> > desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

> Here's more than enough recipes:
>
> http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Thank you, Mark. That website is one of the best I've ever seen. I'm
going to email the link to lots of friends.

--Bryan
The album, "School of the Americas" is now available online.
Go to: http://www.thebonobos.com/
Click on the album cover to purchase. This is a fold out case with a
lyrics booklet for only $9.99. That's right folks, only $9.99.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

anja wrote on Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT):

> I was hoping somebody might help me?

> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early
> 70's. Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm
> responisibile for the food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and
> some desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from
> Norway....)

Where are you located? There must be differences between Britain and
America and also continental Europe. My wife and I first tried both beef
and cheese fondue in the 60s on a trip to Europe and made both for
ourselves and guests quite often. Being brought up in Britain, I can
actually remember the first time I had spaghetti: in the early 50s.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> An odd idea for a party, but wish I could be there. Are you going to
> be wearing Carnaby Street polka dots, bell bottems, medallions and
> nehrue collars?

http://zippythepinhead.com/Merchant2..._Code=3-Apr-09

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> bulka wrote:
>> An odd idea for a party, but wish I could be there. Are you going to
>> be wearing Carnaby Street polka dots, bell bottems, medallions and
>> nehrue collars?

> http://zippythepinhead.com/Merchant2..._Code=3-Apr-09

Heh! My daughter had to dress in 65-style, and she wore an
outfit I had saved since then. One of the few advantages of
having a child at a relatively advanced age.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> anja wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I was hoping somebody might help me?
> >
> > We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> > Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> > food...
> > The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> > desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
> >
> > (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Anja

> Is that food from any specific area of the world in the 60's and 70's?
> American food?

Wouldn't the theme point to that gallery of unfortunate food?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Goomba wrote:
>>
>> anja wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I was hoping somebody might help me?
>> >
>> > We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
>> > Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
>> > food...
>> > The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>> > desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>> >
>> > (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Anja

>> Is that food from any specific area of the world in the 60's and 70's?
>> American food?

> Wouldn't the theme point to that gallery of unfortunate food?

LileK's Gallery of Regrettable Food:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Hiliarious stuff! I believe a lot of it was earlier than the 60's and 70's,
though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 1:56*pm, anja > wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>
> Regards
>
> Anja

May I also suggest stopping by a Goodwill, Salvation Army or other
second hand store and picking up serving dishes in such classic early
1970's colors such as Harvest Gold, Avocado Green (Olive Green) and
reddish orange. There are some classic mixing bowls from that period.
Olive green with white flowers (and vice versa). There were those
black serving platters with inlay patterns, I think they were Danish
or Norwegian in origin. I have small one with a butterfly on it that
was my Mom's from that era. I believe we also had an Owl. As for
food, as others said, fondue for sure. I would go to Goodwill and get
a vintage "chafing dish" (or the cassserole dishes that came with the
little metal rack, with space for a tealight candle under the
casserole dish to keep it warm) and make Swedish Meatballs. I remember
those were very popular for cocktail parties back then. Serve Whisky
sours in tall straight sided glasses, garnished with an orange slice.
(My parents always served whisky sours back then when they had
company). I think the dishes the foods are served in/on will be just
as important to set the mood of the theme as the foods themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

anja > wrote in news:b80fe2ff-c8de-4377-ba89-40585b24f059
@y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

Lots of wholesome, nutricious red meat, sweets loaded with sugar, and make
sure everything is dripping in melted cheese. Since milk did a body good,
cheese must do a body better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> anja > wrote in news:b80fe2ff-c8de-4377-ba89-40585b24f059
> @y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:
>
>> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

> Lots of wholesome, nutricious red meat, sweets loaded with sugar, and make
> sure everything is dripping in melted cheese. Since milk did a body good,
> cheese must do a body better.

Don't forget the margarine! It's soooo much better for you than butter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 1:56*pm, anja > wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>
> Regards
>
> Anja

Fondue (cheese and chocolate) and casseroles. Wasn't crepes suzette
popular then? And lobster thermodor?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:47:12 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>Wasn't crepes suzette popular then?

Yes! I made them with OJ instead of Grand Marnier and ate them for
breakfast when I was in college. I also put home make Kahlua in the
morning coffee.

>And lobster thermodor?

I tried it once (I think it was a leftover from the '50s), but lobster
Thermadore wasn't my cup of tea.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> And lobster thermodor?

> I tried it once (I think it was a leftover from the '50s), but lobster
> Thermadore wasn't my cup of tea.

It's "Thermidor," and there's an interesting history of the dish at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_thermidor

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
anja > wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)

I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the 60's and
early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone mentioned fondu, but
that's still quite common. When my cousin made her daughter a bat mitzva
a year ago, they had chocolate fondu for dessert.

When I was a kid, I ate pretty much the same thing than that we I now.
Even a lot of the candy from candy stores is still fairly easy to find
in my area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the 60's and
> early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone mentioned fondu, but
> that's still quite common. When my cousin made her daughter a bat mitzva
> a year ago, they had chocolate fondu for dessert.
>
> When I was a kid, I ate pretty much the same thing than that we I now.
> Even a lot of the candy from candy stores is still fairly easy to find
> in my area.

In the 60's, I was also a kid. I remember fondue was popular and we ate
pizza rolls and shrimp cocktail. People have submitted some great
suggestions.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote in
:

> In article
>
> >,

> anja > wrote:
> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the
> 60's and early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone
> mentioned fondu, but that's still quite common. When my cousin
> made her daughter a bat mitzva a year ago, they had chocolate
> fondu for dessert.

fondue is making a comeback. it's "in" again.

crepes were fashionable in that time period, as well. i was a poor
starving college student, so my roomie & i made a lot of breads &
soup...
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "elaich" > wrote in message ...
>> anja > wrote in
>> @y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>>> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

>> Lots of wholesome, nutricious red meat, sweets loaded with sugar, and
>> make
>> sure everything is dripping in melted cheese. Since milk did a body good,
>> cheese must do a body better.

> Don't forget the margarine! It's soooo much better for you than butter

Oh yes. Maybe revolting skim milk too--and my mom used the dry
stuff. Yuck.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 12 Apr 2009 11:10:54p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> sf wrote:
>
>>> And lobster thermodor?

>> I tried it once (I think it was a leftover from the '50s), but lobster
>> Thermadore wasn't my cup of tea.

> It's "Thermidor," and there's an interesting history of the dish at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_thermidor
>
> Bob

I remember a group of us going to an upscale restaurant for our Senior
Prom. Several of us ordered Lobster Thermidor, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I wish it appeard on more menus these days.

--
Wayne Boatwright
A man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
> Stan Horwitz > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article
>>
>> >,

>> anja > wrote:
>> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the
>> 60's and early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone
>> mentioned fondu, but that's still quite common. When my cousin
>> made her daughter a bat mitzva a year ago, they had chocolate
>> fondu for dessert.

> fondue is making a comeback. it's "in" again.

It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
(franchises) called The Melting Pot which is pretty much a fondue
restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert fondues. Way
overpriced. Fondue is so easily done at home.

> crepes were fashionable in that time period, as well. i was a poor
> starving college student, so my roomie & i made a lot of breads &
> soup...
> lee

Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're rather like
french burritos

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:18:54 -0400:

> "enigma" > wrote in message
>> Stan Horwitz > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> In article
>>>
>>> s.com
>>> anja > wrote:
>>> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the
>>> 60's and early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone
>>> mentioned fondu, but that's still quite common. When my
>>> cousin made her daughter a bat mitzva a year ago, they had
>>> chocolate fondu for dessert.

>> fondue is making a comeback. it's "in" again.
>>

> It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of
> restaurants (franchises) called The Melting Pot which is
> pretty much a fondue restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and
> dessert fondues. Way overpriced. Fondue is so easily
> done at home.

>> crepes were fashionable in that time period, as well. i was a
>> poor starving college student, so my roomie & i made a lot of
>> breads & soup... lee
>>

> Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're
> rather like french burritos

>It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of
>restaurants (franchises) called The Melting Pot which is pretty much a
>fondue restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert fondues.
>Way overpriced. Fondue is so easily done at home.

However, beef fondue (Bourguignonne, I think) Is quite a lot of work to
do properly at home and I don't think is a very safe thing for a buffet
with unwatched hot oil. I'm not sure that I'd wan't to leave plates of
good steak out in the open either. In the 80s, we used to have it for
small family celebrations and my daughter reminded me of it just the
other day. The various dipping sauces were also some work to prepa
usually at least three including home-made tartare sauce and curry
mayonnaise.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
anja > wrote:

> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.

> Anja

Be sure you serve some TaB!! (A diet cola produced by the CocaCola
bottlers). It has endured.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:18:54 -0400:
>
>> "enigma" > wrote in message
>>> Stan Horwitz > wrote in
>>> :

>>> fondue is making a comeback. it's "in" again.
>>>

>> It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
>> (franchises) called The Melting Pot which is
>> pretty much a fondue restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert
>> fondues. Way overpriced. Fondue is so easily
>> done at home.

>>> crepes were fashionable in that time period, as well. i was a
>>> poor starving college student, so my roomie & i made a lot of
>>> breads & soup... lee
>>>

>> Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're
>> rather like french burritos

>>It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
>>(franchises) called The Melting Pot which is pretty much a fondue
>>restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert fondues. Way
>>overpriced. Fondue is so easily done at home.

> However, beef fondue (Bourguignonne, I think) Is quite a lot of work to do
> properly at home and I don't think is a very safe thing for a buffet with
> unwatched hot oil. I'm not sure that I'd wan't to leave plates of good
> steak out in the open either. In the 80s, we used to have it for small
> family celebrations and my daughter reminded me of it just the other day.
> The various dipping sauces were also some work to prepa usually at
> least three including home-made tartare sauce and curry mayonnaise.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Good points, all, James. So, to the OP, Ritz crackers and spray cans of
cheese come to mind

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
>Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
>food...
>The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>desserts and assorted snacs,,,,

I'm the right age, and Mom had a lot of parties. I'll see what I can
do to help you out.

For nibblers, you'll need a bowl of butter mints and a bowl of salted
mixed nuts.

Put "Little Smokies" miniature sausages in a crock pot with barbecue
sauce - serve with toothpicks.

Mix canned Hormel chili without beans with Velveeta (no particular
measurements), heat, and serve with Fritos. (This might have come in
the mid-'70s ... that's when I first had it).

Raw veggies with dill dip (recipe below). You'll also want both
stuffed green olives and black olives.

Hope some of this helps!

This first recipe is as much an activity as it is a food:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pull Taffy

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candies Family Recipes

3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 pounds butter
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Boil first four ingredients together until mixture turns brittle when
dropped into cold water.
Add vanilla and soda.
Pour into buttered platter. Lift edges in toward center to cool.
When cooled enough to handle, pull until white and brittle.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Party Mix

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Snacks-Savory

1/2 cup melted butter -- (1 stick)
1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Corn Chex®
1 1/2 cups Rice Chex®
1 cup Wheat Chex®
2 cups Cheerios®
1 1/2 cups pretzel sticks
1 cup cashews

Melt butter. Add seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce.
Combine remaining ingredients in turkey roasting pan.
Drizzle butter mixture over cereal, and mix until all pieces are
coated.
Bake at 250F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheese Balls

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers/Dips Eggs/Cheese
Family Recipes

1 cup soft butter -- (2 sticks)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
10 ounces Kraft Olive-Pimiento cheese spread
5 ounces Kraft American cheese spread
5 ounces Kraft Bleu cheese spread
5 ounces Kraft Olde English cheese spread
6 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 dash Tabasco sauce
granulated garlic -- to taste

1. Blend all together and let set in refrigerator to harden so it
can be handled.

2. Divide into 3 or 4 portions (dust your hands lightly with flour)
and roll balls in ground pecans.

To store, wrap tightly with plastic wrap.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dill Dip

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers/Dips Family Recipes

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon dried onion
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon dill weed

Combine and allow to chill for several hours to blend seasonings.
Serve with raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Orange Charlotte

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Family Recipes

1 pint heavy cream -- whipped stiff
1 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 packet knox gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup water -- boiling
1 sponge or angel food cake

1. Mix juices and sugar.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water and mix. Add boiling water and
combine with fruit juices. Chill until set.
3. Fold into stiffly beaten cream.
4. Cut up cake, and place half of pieces in 9 x 13-inch pan. Cover
with half the gelatin mixture. Add the rest of the cake, and cover
with remaining gelatin mixture.
5. Cover with chopped nuts, if desired, and chill overnight.
6. Serve with sweetened whipped cream; garnish with cherry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is an excellent use for angel food cakes that don't turn
out right!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pauper's Paté

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers/Dips Family Recipes

2 packets green onion soup mix -- .56 oz.
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons water
1 pound braunschweiger
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1 dash Tabasco sauce -- to taste
1 fresh parsley -- chopped

In a small bowl, mix green onion dip mix, sugar and water until
moistened.

In a medium-sized bowl, mash braunschweiger with a fork until smooth.
Add onion mixture and continue mashing until thoroughly combined.
Mound on a serving platter.

With a small metal spatula or blade of a knife, mash garlic and salt
to form a smooth paste.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, milk, and tabasco sauce until
smooth; stir in garlic mixture. Spread cheese-garlic mixture evenly
over braunschweiger mixture.

Refrigerate several hours and sprinkle with parsley just before
serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Good served with plain crackers or Melba toast.

NOTES : Mom just called this Braunschweiger Spread. I decided to jazz
it up a bit.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry Coconut Bars

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/Bars

-----CRUST-----
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup soft butter -- (1 stick)
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
-----FILLING-----
2 large eggs -- slightly beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup nuts -- chopped
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup maraschino cherries -- quartered

Heat oven to 350F.

Mix crust ingredients with hands and spread thin with fingers in
ungreased 9x9x2-inch pan. Bake 25 minutes.

Combine filling ingredients and spread over top of baked pastry (no
need to cool). Bake about 25 minutes. Cool. Cut into bars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream Cheese Mints

Recipe By :Maid of Scandinavia
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candies

---Small Recipe---
3 ounces cream cheese -- at room temperature
food coloring -- as desired*
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon flavoring*
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
---Large Recipe---
8 ounces cream cheese -- at room temperature
1/2 to 1 teaspoon flavoring*
food coloring -- as desired*
6 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until soft. Add coloring and
flavoring, as desired. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, mixing and
kneading until consistency is like pie dough or putty. (If a firmer
texture is desired, add more confectioners' sugar.) Roll in balls the
size of a marble. Place one side in a small amount of sugar,
granulated or colored crystal sugar corresponding with flavoring and
coloring used. Place, sugar side down, into cavity of mold, pressing
from edge of mold to center. Unmold at once onto waxed paper. (Small
recipe makes about 23 roses and 23 leaves.)

* Use food coloring only if desired and flavor to correspond with
color.
For example, add a touch of green or pink coloring with wintergreen
flavor, add a touch of yellow food coloring with lemon flavoring or
add pink food coloring or leave plain with peppermint flavoring.

CHOCOLATE MINTS:
Add 1 tablespoon cocoa and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Source:
"http://www.sweetc.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Mints should stand out in the open to harden for at least 24
hours to become firm. Then place in freezer or refrigerator.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Blossoms

Recipe By :Freda Smith, 9th Bake-Off® Contest, 1957
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies/Bars

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
sugar
48 Hershey kisses -- unwrapped

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level
off. In large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking
soda, salt, shortening, peanut butter, milk, vanilla and egg; mix at
low speed until stiff dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll
in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
2. Bake at 375°F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Immediately top each cookie with 1 milk chocolate candy, pressing down
firmly so cookie cracks around edge; remove from cookie sheets.

Source:
"http://www.bakeoff.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Scotcharoos

Recipe By :Kellogg's, Nestle's, Skippy
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Snacks-Sweet

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups crispy rice cereal
6 ounces chocolate chips -- (1 cup)
5 1/2 ounces butterscotch chips -- (1 cup)

Heat sugar and corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan until mixture boils.
Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add cereal,
stirring until blended. Press mixture into buttered 13x9" pan. Melt
chocolate and butterscotch chips together over low heat. Remove from
heat and spread over cereal mixture. Cool until firm. Cut into
squares.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wild Rice Hotdish

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion -- chopped
1 package Uncle Ben's long grain & wild rice
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk

These are Nonie's words ... Brown hamburger and onion and "throw in
casserole." Meanwhile, cook rice per directions and "throw at the
meat."
Combine soup and milk; combine with meat and rice in casserole.

Bake in 375F oven approximately 20 minutes, uncovered.

Source:
"Nonie Mosvick (Carol's Neighbor)"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:02:51 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:18:54 -0400:

>>> It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
>>> (franchises) called The Melting Pot which is
>>> pretty much a fondue restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert
>>> fondues. Way overpriced. Fondue is so easily
>>> done at home.

>>> Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're
>>> rather like french burritos

>>>It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
>>>(franchises) called The Melting Pot which is pretty much a fondue
>>>restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert fondues. Way
>>>overpriced. Fondue is so easily done at home.

>> However, beef fondue (Bourguignonne, I think) Is quite a lot of work to do
>> properly at home and I don't think is a very safe thing for a buffet with
>> unwatched hot oil. I'm not sure that I'd wan't to leave plates of good
>> steak out in the open either. In the 80s, we used to have it for small
>> family celebrations and my daughter reminded me of it just the other day.
>> The various dipping sauces were also some work to prepa usually at
>> least three including home-made tartare sauce and curry mayonnaise.
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>Good points, all, James. So, to the OP, Ritz crackers and spray cans of
>cheese come to mind
>
>Jill

Cheese Fondue

2 1/4 cups milk
2 cups coarse day-old bread crumbs
2 2/3 cups grated process American cheese (2/3 lb)
1 teasp. salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1 tablesp. bottled thick meat sauce
2 tbsp. minced onions
1 teasp. dry mustard
4 eggs
Start heating oven to 325 degrees F. Scald milk in double boiler; then
cool. In large bowl combine rest of ingredients except eggs; add milk;
stir well. Separate eggs. Beat yolks until thick and lemon-colored;
slowly stir into bread mixture. Beat whites till stiff but not dry;
fold into bread mixture. Pour into greased 2-qt. casserole; set in pan
filled with warm water to 1" from top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, 1
1/2 hr., or until delicate brown and firm when touched in center.
Serve at once, as is or with Tomato Sauce...Makes 6 servings."

This came out briefly in 1955 (Good Housekeeping) but never really
took off until the 1960's when Americas suburbia family's discovered
it once again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"anja" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I was hoping somebody might help me?
>
> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
> food...
> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>
> (do appologize the bad spelling, I'm originnaly from Norway....)
>
> Regards
>
> Anja

Green Goddess salad dressing

Porcupine appetizer (cubes of cheese & Salami & Ham on toothpicks put into
1/2 a cabbage)

Any hot creamed vegetable(s)

Giant untrimmed porterhouse steaks on a charcoal grill

Hot Dogs ( cut up) in tomato sauce

Spanish rice (hamburger, tomato sauce & rice)

Sour Cream & onion soup mix dip for potato chips.

A keg of beer

Do-it-your-self Pizza (go to a pizza parlor & buy the dough ready to
flatten) have all the fix'ns

Grilled Onions in foil (place an onion in foil with butter & a few shots of
Worchester sauce and place on charcoal)

Over cooked corn on the cob in foil

Jello Salad with Marshmallows.

Jello Shooters (Jello& vodka)

Home made sloppy-Joe

30% fat hamburgers

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:15:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I remember a group of us going to an upscale restaurant for our Senior
>Prom. Several of us ordered Lobster Thermidor, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
>I wish it appeard on more menus these days.

It was too rich for me then, I can only imagine my reaction now!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the 60's and
>> early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone mentioned fondu, but
>> that's still quite common. When my cousin made her daughter a bat mitzva
>> a year ago, they had chocolate fondu for dessert.
>> When I was a kid, I ate pretty much the same thing than that we I now.
>> Even a lot of the candy from candy stores is still fairly easy to find in
>> my area.
>>

> In the 60's, I was also a kid. I remember fondue was popular and we ate
> pizza rolls and shrimp cocktail. People have submitted some great
> suggestions.

During the mid '60s thru the mid '70s is when fast foods became all the
rage.. most anything served at fast food eateries qualifies for this thread.
Fondue was far more popular during the '50s. Penny candy was most popular
during the '40s thru the mid '50s. The years from 2000 to 2010 will be known
as the Junk Food Decade, predominently empty calorie prepared foods that can
be eaten at the keyboard. The PC Dinner has already eclipsed the TV Dinner.
The decade starting 2011 will be known for the demise of the drive-thru, at
the rate cars are shrinking they will be much too small to accomodate all
the wide asses. By 2030 the stupidmarket will no longer exist, folks will
grocery shop on line and everything will be delivered by USPS, Brown, FedEx,
etc... of course all food will arrive in a small carton, it'll all be in
tablet form or some slimey slop in a packet you squeeze down your throat,
naturally it'll all be by Rx under the newly instituted gubermint medical
plan.. By 2035 the kitchen will no longer exist except in the Smithsonian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:49:42 -0400:

>> Cheese Fondue
>>
>> 2 1/4 cups milk
>> 2 cups coarse day-old bread crumbs
>> 2 2/3 cups grated process American cheese (2/3 lb)
>> 1 teasp. salt
>> Dash cayenne pepper
>> 1 tablesp. bottled thick meat sauce
>> 2 tbsp. minced onions
>> 1 teasp. dry mustard
>> 4 eggs

> <clip>
>> This came out briefly in 1955 (Good Housekeeping) but never
>> really took off until the 1960's when Americas suburbia
>> family's discovered it once again.

>gads.. have you actually made this? What's wrong with a classic SIMPLE
>cheese fondue with half the ingredients and fuss as this one and uses
>good cheese?

Right on, rub the pot with garlic, bring the white wine to just a
simmer, slowly add real Emmenthaler or Gruyere, grated and dusted with
flour, stir until it is homogeneous, add a little Kirsch and so there!
Anything much else is a travesty, IMHO (not sure about H).
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "enigma" > wrote in message
>> Stan Horwitz > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> In article

>>> anja > wrote:
>>> I honestly can't think of any foods that were popular in the
>>> 60's and early 70's, which is when I was a kid. Someone
>>> mentioned fondu, but that's still quite common. When my cousin
>>> made her daughter a bat mitzva a year ago, they had chocolate
>>> fondu for dessert.

>> fondue is making a comeback. it's "in" again.
>>

> It's been "in" again for quite some time. There's a chain of restaurants
> (franchises) called The Melting Pot which is pretty much a fondue
> restaurant. Cheese, meats cooked in oil and dessert fondues. Way
> overpriced. Fondue is so easily done at home.
>
>> crepes were fashionable in that time period, as well. i was a poor
>> starving college student, so my roomie & i made a lot of breads &
>> soup...
>> lee
>>

> Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're rather like
> french burritos
>
> Jill

Or freedon blinis, freedom blintzes...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...

>>> I tried it once (I think it was a leftover from the '50s), but lobster
>>> Thermadore wasn't my cup of tea.

>> It's "Thermidor," and there's an interesting history of the dish at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster_thermidor
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I remember a group of us going to an upscale restaurant for our Senior
> Prom. Several of us ordered Lobster Thermidor, which I thoroughly
> enjoyed.
> I wish it appeard on more menus these days.

Leave it to the TIADers... shellfish with cheese. blech

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> anja > wrote:
>>
>> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.

>> Anja

> Be sure you serve some TaB!! (A diet cola produced by the CocaCola
> bottlers). It has endured.

Anything "shoestring" was popular; shoestring ties, shoestring potatos,
shoestring pickled beets...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:18:54 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"enigma" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Stan Horwitz > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> In article

>Ah yes, crepes! I love crepes, the savoury sort. They're rather like
>french burritos
>
>Jill

We have a well loved family recipe, probably invented in the 50s or
60s. Fine thin crepes, with a tablespoon mixture of shredded carrots,
a small amount of hamburger & onion. Then rolled up, put in a
casserole dish, and covered with mushroom gravy:?), with sprinkles of
cheddar cheese on top. I learned to make good crepes at an early age.
We called this in our family "Rolled Meat Pancakes"<g> and it is still
a family favorite!

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT), anja >
> wrote:
>

>> We are throwing a party in may, themed over late 60's -early 70's.
>> Unfortunatly I'm born to late for this, and i'm responisibile for the
>> food...
>> The plan is to have a buffet, with both hot and cold food and some
>> desserts and assorted snacs,,,,
>>

> I'm the right age, and Mom had a lot of parties. I'll see what I can
> do to help you out.
>
> For nibblers, you'll need a bowl of butter mints and a bowl of salted
> mixed nuts.
>
> Put "Little Smokies" miniature sausages in a crock pot with barbecue
> sauce - serve with toothpicks.
>
> Mix canned Hormel chili without beans with Velveeta (no particular
> measurements), heat, and serve with Fritos. (This might have come in
> the mid-'70s ... that's when I first had it).
>
> Raw veggies with dill dip (recipe below). You'll also want both
> stuffed green olives and black olives.
>
> Hope some of this helps!
>

> This first recipe is as much an activity as it is a food:
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Pull Taffy
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Candies Family Recipes

> 3 cups granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup white vinegar
> 2 pounds butter
> 1/2 cup water
> 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>
> Boil first four ingredients together until mixture turns brittle when
> dropped into cold water.
> Add vanilla and soda.
> Pour into buttered platter. Lift edges in toward center to cool.
> When cooled enough to handle, pull until white and brittle.

You offered some great suggestions and you included some recipes I would
like to try. Since I have never made Pull Taffy, I went to YouTube to
see how they were making it (when cooled enough to handle, pull until
white and brittle). She explains the Feast of St. Catherine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJR12CTgMWw

Becca