Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carne Asada burritos-- in your town?

In article , "Nexis"
wrote:

"Nexis" wrote in message
'berto's...but for me, none of them tops the Alberto's that introduced me
to carne asada burritos. My sister recently called to tell me she was
craving one, but she hasn't been able to find any back east. So that got

(snippages)
She's in St. Paul, MN...and she's still looking

kimberly

Has she ventured to this side of the river? There are a couple holes in
the wall here (B'ville) * but I've no idea if they would satisify. One
place is affiliated with a grocery store a couple doors away and at the
grocery store they sell tamales from a big kettle on the weekends. It
doesn't look like a setup the health department would approve of, but,
damn, the tamales were good!

Have her look up Rick Nelson at the Star Tribune and ask him for a rec.
He gets around. Tell her to find out which church has a heavy hispanic
congregation make-up and ask the padre to point her to a parishioner or
see if he's got a recommendation. Or tell her to try the MSP area of
Yelp.com.

Has she been to Lake Street? Has she done any formal searching online?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article , "Nexis"
wrote:

"Nexis" wrote in message
[...]

See I knew you would know.....

La Especial Norte..

:-)

Dimitri

Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 8:44*am, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article , "Nexis"
wrote:

"Nexis" wrote in message
'berto's...but for me, none of them tops the Alberto's that introduced me
to carne asada burritos. My sister recently called to tell me she was
craving one, but she hasn't been able to find any back east. So that got

(snippages)

She's in St. Paul, MN...and she's still looking

kimberly

Has she ventured to this side of the river? *There are a couple holes in
the wall here (B'ville) * but I've no idea if they would satisify.

Aren't St. Paul folks afraid they'll get mugged if they cross the
river?
*
One place is affiliated with a grocery store a couple doors away and at the
grocery store they sell tamales from a big kettle on the weekends. *It
doesn't look like a setup the health department would approve of, but,
damn, the tamales were good!

That's exactly where the best fare comes from. Mercado y Taqueria.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009

--Bryan
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

One place is affiliated with a grocery store a couple doors away and at the
grocery store they sell tamales from a big kettle on the weekends. *It
doesn't look like a setup the health department would approve of, but,
damn, the tamales were good!

That's exactly where the best fare comes from. Mercado y Taqueria.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news
4-6-2009

--Bryan

I have three taquerias within 2 miles of my house. We need to visit one
of them soon.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

To be honest, we didn't get into the specifics of where she's
looked, just that she's been looking and misses Alberto's carne
asada burritos. Now, for anyone who doesn't remember or doesn't
know... the carne asada burritos we're referring to are large,
the tortillas are large and well stuffed with strips of flavorful
meat, pico de gallo and guacamole. That's it, no beans, no rice,
no lettuce. They were sublime.

I've been to Alberto's and could have sworn there was a
smear of refried beans in the carne asada or carnitas burrito.

Steve

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember back SO many years, when 'Old Mr.Plumlee' used to push his
old cart around town selling hot tamales. It's a wonder we all didn't
die but damn they were good! Send out the Roach Coaches!!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article
,