Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need a quick sauce for pork chops

I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.

Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.

Mitch, throw some soy sauce, worstershire sauce, and a sweet thai chile
sauce such as mae ploy. Works well!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

I make a nice sauce with dijon mustard. Just deglaze the pan with white
wine, cook it down a bit, mount some butter then add a generous amount of
dijon mustard.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

This is *good* ... depending what you have on hand, you could
make something like this:

From America's Test Kitchen, Lemon and Thyme Sauce

1 TB vegetable oil
1 shallot, minced
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, rosemary or sage
1 TB fresh lemon juice
3 TB unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces and chilled

Add the oil to the pan, return to medium hight heat until
shimmering. Add the shallot and cook until softened.
Stir in the broth and the thyme, scraping up any browned
bits, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Turn
the heat to low and add the butter, one piece at at time.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over pork
chops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:13:55 -0500, wrote:

>I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
>some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
>Any suggestions?

Apricot preserves w/ a teaspoon Dijon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

Deglaze with white wine, and add several spoons of Dijon mustard & thicken
with a cornstarch slurry. If you was the sauce glossy when you remove from
the heat swirl in several tablespoons of butter.

As an option you can add some dried cranberries if you like.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

Deglaze the pan with a bit of stock (or wine), spice to taste and
thicken with corn starch.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr. Bill > wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:13:55 -0500, wrote:
>
> >I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> >some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
> >
> >Any suggestions?

> Apricot preserves w/ a teaspoon Dijon.

I'd use applesauce for pork in the above concoction, and skip the
mustard.

But that's just me.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:13:55 -0500:

> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the
> mood for some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.

> Any suggestions?

What's wrong with a little store bought-apple sauce? You can buy it
without added sweetener if you like.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
>>> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

>> I make a nice sauce with dijon mustard. Just deglaze the pan with white
>> wine, cook it down a bit, mount some butter then add a generous amount of
>> dijon mustard.
>>
>> Paul

> That sounds delicious. I've had trouble in the past choosing a white wine
> for cooking, because I don't drink wine...any recommendations?

Almost amy semi dry or dry wine works. I use a chardonnay usually. The
pork goes with sweet so the sauce wine does not have to be especially dry.
A sauvignon blank would work. I suppose a white dry vermouth might work and
the advantage is it would keep in the fridge over a long time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

There is a pork chops with sour-cream dill sauce on Epicurious that is
good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>
> Any suggestions?

Doctored duck sauce is delish... a bit of soy, garlic, tamerind, toasted
sesame oil, and white pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote
> wrote:

>> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
>> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.

> Doctored duck sauce is delish... a bit of soy, garlic, tamerind, toasted
> sesame oil, and white pepper.

I've done that and you are right. Wonderful stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> I make a nice sauce with dijon mustard. Just deglaze the pan with white
>>> wine, cook it down a bit, mount some butter then add a generous amount
>>> of dijon mustard.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> That sounds delicious. I've had trouble in the past choosing a white wine
>> for cooking, because I don't drink wine...any recommendations?
>>

> Almost amy semi dry or dry wine works. I use a chardonnay usually. The
> pork goes with sweet so the sauce wine does not have to be especially dry.
> A sauvignon blank would work. I suppose a white dry vermouth might work
> and the advantage is it would keep in the fridge over a long time.

I usually use chardonnay as well. I tried it with a dry Riesling last week
and was not very happy with the results. It didn't seem to meld with the
Dijon that well.

Another thing that has worked out well is to sauté chops sprinkled with 5
spice powder, then deglaze the pan with dry sherry and soy sauce.

I'll have to give the vermouth a try. That sounds very interesting.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm going to pan sear some chops for dinner, and I'm in the mood for
>> some kind of sauce/reduction to go with it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

>I make a nice sauce with dijon mustard. Just deglaze the pan with white
>wine, cook it down a bit, mount some butter then add a generous amount of
>dijon mustard.

If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those
small jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when
needed and splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to
complicate that as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those
> small jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when
> needed and splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to
> complicate that as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for
the pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I
don't have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual
servings in the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry
and they usually are the perfect amount for my needs.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:28:08 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Phred wrote:
>
>> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those
>> small jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when
>> needed and splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to
>> complicate that as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

>I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for
>the pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I
>don't have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual
>servings in the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry
>and they usually are the perfect amount for my needs.

My quick "sauce" is gravy made from the fond. Splash in some dry
sherry to loosen, add sour cream (fat free works just fine) stir.
Voilà.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Phred wrote:
>
>> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those small
>> jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when needed and
>> splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to complicate that
>> as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

> I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for the
> pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I don't
> have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual servings in
> the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry and they
> usually are the perfect amount for my needs.

Apple Butter works much better... add some to caramelized sweet onions and
thin with sauterne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:28:08 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>>Phred wrote:
>>
>>> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those
>>> small jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when
>>> needed and splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to
>>> complicate that as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

>>I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for
>>the pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I
>>don't have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual
>>servings in the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry
>>and they usually are the perfect amount for my needs.

> My quick "sauce" is gravy made from the fond. Splash in some dry
> sherry to loosen, add sour cream (fat free works just fine) stir.
> Voilà.

Viola schmiola... sour cream on pork chops
is beyond disgusting... TTIAD (TerminalTIAD).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:34:28 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Phred wrote:
>>
>>> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those small
>>> jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when needed and
>>> splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to complicate that
>>> as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)

>> I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for the
>> pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I don't
>> have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual servings in
>> the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry and they
>> usually are the perfect amount for my needs.
>>

>Apple Butter works much better... add some to caramelized sweet onions and
>thin with sauterne.

=== MAPLE-DIJON MARINADE ===

1/4 c Cider vinegar
2 tb Honey
2/3 c Maple syrup
1/2 c Dijon mustard
1/4 c Harissa sauce

To make the Maple-Dijon Marinade: Place the vinegar, honey, maple
syrup, mustard, and harissa in a small bowl, and mix to combine.
Store, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks. (Makes
2 cups) In a large resealable plastic bag, combine marinade and pork
chops. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. Heat a
charcoal or gas grill. Remove pork chops from bag, and discard
marinade. Grill pork chops over high heat for 5 to 6 minutes per
side or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees on an
instant-read thermometer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:28:08 -0500, Janet Wilder
| > wrote:
|
| >Phred wrote:
| >
| >> If you want a *really* quick "apple sauce" just keep one of those
| >> small jars of baby food pure apple goo handy so you can warm it when
| >> needed and splash it on the chops! (Of course you're at liberty to
| >> complicate that as much as you wish to if you have the time. :-)
| >
| >I use small amounts of apple sauce in some recipes as sweetener or for
| >the pectin, like to hold ground meat together in stuffed cabbage so I
| >don't have to use rice or starch-based fillers. I buy the individual
| >servings in the little plastic cups. They last a long time in the pantry
| >and they usually are the perfect amount for my needs.
|
| My quick "sauce" is gravy made from the fond. Splash in some dry
| sherry to loosen, add sour cream (fat free works just fine) stir.
| Voilà.

I agree completely. Often I will add a dab of mustard or of whatever
herb is floating around. It is a tremendously versatile base. Works
well with cube steaks also.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:04:42 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message ...
>|
>| My quick "sauce" is gravy made from the fond. Splash in some dry
>| sherry to loosen, add sour cream (fat free works just fine) stir.
>| Voilà.
>
>I agree completely. Often I will add a dab of mustard or of whatever
>herb is floating around. It is a tremendously versatile base.

How true! Have you tried sauteing sliced mushrooms in the pan before
you deglaze?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:04:42 -0400, "pavane"
| > wrote:
|

| >"sf" > wrote in message ...
| >|
| >| My quick "sauce" is gravy made from the fond. Splash in some dry
| >| sherry to loosen, add sour cream (fat free works just fine) stir.
| >| Voilà.
| >
| >I agree completely. Often I will add a dab of mustard or of whatever
| >herb is floating around. It is a tremendously versatile base.
| >
| How true! Have you tried sauteing sliced mushrooms in the pan before
| you deglaze?

I have used diced shallots, but mushrooms would add a lot more,
some umami perhaps, ... definitely experiment time, thanks.

pavane