Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default substituting goat's milk in cooking

In addition to being lactose intolerant, my mother recently tested positive
for
an allergy to milk (along with oats, corn, soy, mushrooms, potatoes,
tomatoes, and--get this--lettuce!). The doctor has suggested using goat's
milk. I've done a google search but still can't determine if goat's milk
can be substituted for cow's milk in any recipe--both sweet and savoury.
Has anyone used goat's milk for cooking and baking in place of cow's milk?
If so, what were the results? Are there any noticable differences in
flavours or textures?

rona

Sylvia

Goat's milk is similar in makeup to cow's milk so should technically be
substitutable (is that a word?) The caveat that I've heard is that the
flavor is distinctive and not everyone likes it. You might try a few
recipes that only use a small amount of milk and see if your mom notices
and objects to the flavor; if not, gradually try recipes using more
milk. If she objects at any point, you know how much milk you can use
in recipes for her.

Or you could try using straight goat milk in something it would be
immediately noticeable, such as coffee or even a glass of milk, to see
whether she likes it or not.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Larry

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message >...
> In addition to being lactose intolerant, my mother recently tested positive
> for
> an allergy to milk (along with oats, corn, soy, mushrooms, potatoes,
> tomatoes, and--get this--lettuce!). The doctor has suggested using goat's
> milk. I've done a google search but still can't determine if goat's milk
> can be substituted for cow's milk in any recipe--both sweet and savoury.
> Has anyone used goat's milk for cooking and baking in place of cow's milk?
> If so, what were the results? Are there any noticable differences in
> flavours or textures?
>
> rona

I raise goats, some for meat and some for milk and have used goats
milk interchangably with cows and have noticed no diffrernce unless -
The goats have been with a buck or are downwind of a buck.
The goats have been eating medicated feed, some of which leaves a
nasty aftertaste. Wild onions in the pasture also leave a taste.
If the source of your milk is controlling for the above the milk
should work like cows milk but a bit higher in butterfat. Hope this
helps.
Larry
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Larry" > wrote in message
m...

> I raise goats, some for meat and some for milk and have used goats
> milk interchangably with cows and have noticed no diffrernce unless -
> The goats have been with a buck or are downwind of a buck.
> The goats have been eating medicated feed, some of which leaves a
> nasty aftertaste. Wild onions in the pasture also leave a taste.
> If the source of your milk is controlling for the above the milk
> should work like cows milk but a bit higher in butterfat. Hope this
> helps.
> Larry

Thanks. I don't know much about the goat's milk we buy since there is
typically only one brand available in my city. I would guess, though, that
medicated feed might be likely since this milk is found in large
supermarkets, and it isn't marked as organic or anything like that. It
tastes fine, though, and I haven't noticed any aftertaste. I thought goat's
milk would taste different, but I don't notice much of a difference. I
haven't tried cooking or baking with it, yet, but now that I know there
shouldn't be a difference, I'll definitely try it!

BTW, do you know if there's a goat's milk heavy cream (or any other kind of
cream) available? I haven't found any in my supermarket, but I haven't been
to some of the health food or organic food stores, yet. I would think they
would be more likely to carry something like that than a large chain
supermarket.

Thanks again for the info!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
> Goat's milk is similar in makeup to cow's milk so should technically be
> substitutable (is that a word?) The caveat that I've heard is that the
> flavor is distinctive and not everyone likes it. You might try a few
> recipes that only use a small amount of milk and see if your mom notices
> and objects to the flavor; if not, gradually try recipes using more
> milk. If she objects at any point, you know how much milk you can use
> in recipes for her.
>
> Or you could try using straight goat milk in something it would be
> immediately noticeable, such as coffee or even a glass of milk, to see
> whether she likes it or not.

We have no problems with the flavour of goat's milk, I was just wondering if
using goat's milk changed the flavour of dishes it's an ingredient in.
Sometimes cooking or baking something will change its flavour, and since
we've never cooked with goat's milk, we didn't know if its flavour or
texture would change. Larry says it should be fine, and since he raises
goats I trust him :-). I was actually more worried about texture, but I'm
not worried anymore!

rona

Carmen Dioxide

Sylvia > wrote You might try a few
> recipes that only use a small amount of milk

No you can't *follow a recipe* and use a small amount of a major
ingredient. Especially not in baking where the liquid measure (as
well as everything else) is essential to the success of the item.
Perhaps some SOY milk could be mixed with the goat's milk up to the
measure necessary. Soy milk is really very palatable. I made quiches
with it and you can't tell. Goat's milk would be unappealing to me.

Goat milk notbob General Cooking 4 07-09-2010 09:22 PM
Substituting 2% milk for whole milk. Handy Gandy General Cooking 20 25-03-2010 07:37 PM
substituting cooking oil for shortning notbob General Cooking 8 24-04-2009 12:33 AM
Chocolate Goat Milk Fudge MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 27-02-2006 11:46 AM
Goat Milk - Powdered Dee Randall General Cooking 0 24-01-2006 02:51 PM