Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Savory bread pudding?

Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
stuffing.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.

Have you ever seen the show "Chopped" on Food Network? Recently a
contestant made a savory bread pudding with Brie and it looked very
good. The judges liked it too.

I just searched the website and the recipes are not included....sorry.

From what I remember he just cubed some bread, made some type of
custard - eggs and milk, added the Brie and baked it in a muffin tin.
They only have about 20 minutes to make something.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 06 Apr 2009 01:08:39p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...

> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.

I've made this one from Cooking Light a couple of times (I used full fat
milk and creamed cottage cheese). Also, if you do a search for "'savory
bread puding' cheese", you'll get a lot of interesting hits. To separate
it from a "stuffing" category, make sure it has a custard base of sorts.

Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese

This dish is best assembled the night before.

1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
Cooking spray
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
2 cups fat-free milk
1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in
a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread;
top with remaining 1/2 cup goat cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking
spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30
minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set and golden
brown. Sprinkle with onions.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:38:46 GMT:

>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've
>> tried to make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes
>> out like generic stuffing.

> I've made this one from Cooking Light a couple of times (I
> used full fat milk and creamed cottage cheese). Also, if you
> do a search for "'savory bread puding' cheese", you'll get a
> lot of interesting hits. To separate it from a "stuffing"
> category, make sure it has a custard base of sorts.

> Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese

> This dish is best assembled the night before.

> 1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
> (about 12 cups) Cooking spray
> 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
> 2 cups fat-free milk
> 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 3 large eggs
> 3 large egg whites
> 1/4 cup sliced green onions

> Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking
> spray.

> Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through
> egg whites) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour
> milk mixture over bread; top with remaining 1/2 cup goat
> cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate
> for 8 hours or overnight.

> Preheat oven to 350°.

> Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room
> temperature 30 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40
> minutes or until set and golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.

> Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)

Wouldn't bread stuffing, as for turkey, come close? I've enjoyed it
even when it was cooked separately from the bird.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 06 Apr 2009 02:16:22p, James Silverton told us...

> Wayne wrote on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:38:46 GMT:
>
>>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've
>>> tried to make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like
>>> generic stuffing.

>> I've made this one from Cooking Light a couple of times (I
>> used full fat milk and creamed cottage cheese). Also, if you
>> do a search for "'savory bread puding' cheese", you'll get a
>> lot of interesting hits. To separate it from a "stuffing" category,
>> make sure it has a custard base of sorts.

>> Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese

>> This dish is best assembled the night before.

>> 1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
>> (about 12 cups) Cooking spray
>> 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
>> 2 cups fat-free milk
>> 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
>> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 3 large eggs
>> 3 large egg whites 1/4 cup sliced green onions

>> Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

>> Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through
>> egg whites) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour
>> milk mixture over bread; top with remaining 1/2 cup goat
>> cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 8
>> hours or overnight.

>> Preheat oven to 350°.

>> Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room
>> temperature 30 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or
>> until set and golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.

>> Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)

> Wouldn't bread stuffing, as for turkey, come close? I've enjoyed it
> even when it was cooked separately from the bird.

As to the bread pudding, I always associate any type of bread pudding with
having a custard base of some time, usually eggs and milk or cream, with
the consistency after baking of being "custardy". AFAIK, I've never seen a
stuffing with a custardy consistency, although many stuffings do contain
egg.

Our family always made "dressing", IOW, stuffing baked separately in a
casserole or baking dish, and never stuffed inside the bird. I much prefer
it, no matter what kind it is.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:

> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding?

Here is an Escoffier recipe.

Victor

Pudding de fromage au pain
Bread pudding with cheese

Set some thin slices of stale, buttered and cheese-sprinkled bread in a
pie-plate. Having three-parts filled the dish with it, cover the slices
with a preparation consisting of the yolks of four eggs mixed with
one-quarter pint of broth - which quantities are suited to a pint dish.

Sprinkle copiously with grated cheese; bake in the oven, and _glaze_ at
the last moment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:38:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 06 Apr 2009 01:08:39p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...
>
>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
>> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
>> stuffing.

>I've made this one from Cooking Light a couple of times (I used full fat
>milk and creamed cottage cheese). Also, if you do a search for "'savory
>bread puding' cheese", you'll get a lot of interesting hits. To separate
>it from a "stuffing" category, make sure it has a custard base of sorts.
>
>Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese
>
>This dish is best assembled the night before.
>
>1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
>Cooking spray
>1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
>2 cups fat-free milk
>1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
>1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>3 large eggs
>3 large egg whites
>1/4 cup sliced green onions
>
>Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
>
>Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in
>a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread;
>top with remaining 1/2 cup goat cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking
>spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
>
>Preheat oven to 350°.
>
>Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30
>minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set and golden
>brown. Sprinkle with onions.
>
>Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)

Thanks, Wayne. What I did was follow the Joy of Cooking recipe for
sweet bread pudding, adjusting to shift it over to savory. It was
custardy to an extent, but I wasn't as careful with the proportions of
egg/milk to bread. D said it needed to be eggier.

My mistake was including herbs in the mix, I think. Green onion, on
the other hand, makes perfect sense.

Incidentally, I've had some success experimenting with a sweet bread
pudding spiked with chopped dried figs, fresh rosemary, black pepper
and honey. It's strangely delicious.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 06 Apr 2009 03:17:16p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...

> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:38:46 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 06 Apr 2009 01:08:39p, modom (palindrome guy) told us...
>>
>>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
>>> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
>>> stuffing.

>>I've made this one from Cooking Light a couple of times (I used full fat
>>milk and creamed cottage cheese). Also, if you do a search for "'savory
>>bread puding' cheese", you'll get a lot of interesting hits. To
>>separate it from a "stuffing" category, make sure it has a custard base
>>of sorts.
>>
>>Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese
>>
>>This dish is best assembled the night before.
>>
>>1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
>>Cooking spray
>>1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
>>2 cups fat-free milk
>>1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
>>1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>>3 large eggs
>>3 large egg whites
>>1/4 cup sliced green onions
>>
>>Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
>>
>>Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites)
>>in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over
>>bread; top with remaining 1/2 cup goat cheese. Cover with foil coated
>>with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
>>
>>Preheat oven to 350°.
>>
>>Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30
>>minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set and golden
>>brown. Sprinkle with onions.
>>
>>Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 [4-inch] square)

> Thanks, Wayne. What I did was follow the Joy of Cooking recipe for
> sweet bread pudding, adjusting to shift it over to savory. It was
> custardy to an extent, but I wasn't as careful with the proportions of
> egg/milk to bread. D said it needed to be eggier.

You're welcome, Michael. Yes, it's important in most custard-based dishes
that the ratio of eggs to milk or cream be fairly accurate. But now you
already know this. :-)

> My mistake was including herbs in the mix, I think. Green onion, on
> the other hand, makes perfect sense.

Actually, I could see how certain herbs might work. So much is trial and
error, and you're very good at extemporanious cooking. You'll work out a
combination you like.

> Incidentally, I've had some success experimenting with a sweet bread
> pudding spiked with chopped dried figs, fresh rosemary, black pepper
> and honey. It's strangely delicious.

Now that sounds like something I would really like, as I love both dried
figs, rosemary, and honey. Spiking it with a bit of black pepper would be
good. I have made a traditional pound cake that included finely chopped
fresh rosemary. It was very tasty. Lining the bottom of a loaf pan for
pound cake with rose geranium leaves is a nice taste, as well. If you look
at medieval and Elizabethan recipes, you'll find a fair number of sweet
dishes, including desserts, that contain a range of herbs.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:

> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.

I make savory bread puddings regularly. If it's coming out like stuffing,
you need more of the egg/milk mixture. Here's a fairly typical recipe:

Roasted Garlic Bread Pudding
(from _Recipes from America's Small Farms_)

24 garlic cloves, unpeeled
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 cups 1-inch cubes fresh Italian or French bread
5 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons bourbon or brandy (optional)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or rounded 1/4 tsp dried)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or rounded 1/4 tsp dried)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Snip off and discard the tip from each garlic
clove; toss the cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to
taste. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes,
until softened. Let cool, then gently peel.

Grease a 13x9-inch pan with olive oil. Arrange the bread evenly in the pan.

Mash the garlic cloves with a fork in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and beat
until slightly fluffy. Beat in the milk, cream, cheese, liquor (if using),
thyme, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture
evenly over the bread.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, and serve hot.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.
> --
>
> modom

Dimitri

SAVORY BREAD PUDDING

6 links breakfast sausage (6 oz.)
1/4 lb. Swiss cheese (about 1 c.,
grated)
1 sm. loaf French bread (about 1 lb.)
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. milk
3 eggs
Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a deep 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Put
sausage and 2 tablespoons water in a frying pan; cover and cook over low
heat until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and
cut into 1/2 slices. Grate cheese. Cut bread into approximately 1 inch
chunks. Put half of them in baking dish. Cover with sausages, half the
cheese and remaining bread. Melt butter and brush the top layer of bread
cubes with it. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Combine milk, eggs, 1
teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and pour over ingredients in dish.
Set baking dish in pan and add warm water to come halfway up the side of
dish. Bake until set, about 50 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.

Wouldn't a strata basically be a savory bread pudding?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" ha scritto nel messaggio
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to> make
>> it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic>
>> stuffing.

> Wouldn't a strata basically be a savory bread pudding?

Yes. I just could not remember that name!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> modom wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have a recipe for savory bread pudding? I've tried to
>> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
>> stuffing.

> I make savory bread puddings regularly. If it's coming out like stuffing,
> you need more of the egg/milk mixture. Here's a fairly typical recipe:
>
> Roasted Garlic Bread Pudding
> (from _Recipes from America's Small Farms_)
>
> 24 garlic cloves, unpeeled
> Olive oil
> Salt and freshly ground pepper
> 8 cups 1-inch cubes fresh Italian or French bread
> 5 large eggs
> 2 cups milk
> 2 cups heavy cream
> 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
> 2 tablespoons bourbon or brandy (optional)
> 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or rounded 1/4 tsp dried)
> 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or rounded 1/4 tsp dried)
>
> Preheat the oven to 425°F. Snip off and discard the tip from each garlic
> clove; toss the cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to
> taste. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes,
> until softened. Let cool, then gently peel.
>
> Grease a 13x9-inch pan with olive oil. Arrange the bread evenly in the
> pan.
>
> Mash the garlic cloves with a fork in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and
> beat
> until slightly fluffy. Beat in the milk, cream, cheese, liquor (if
> using),
> thyme, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture
> evenly over the bread.
>
> Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, and serve hot.
>

> Bob

Whoa, I think this might work out for a savory Matzo Kuegle.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 4:08*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> Does anybody have a recipe forsavorybreadpudding? *I've tried to
> make it a couple of times lately, but it just comes out like generic
> stuffing.

Am I too late? Here's one I used to make until I took up with a
trifling
fella who won't eat mushrooms.

Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding

Requires advance preparation

4 eggs
0.5 cup rich, double-strength mushroom or turkey stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1.25 teaspoons salt
papper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1.5 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 cups stemmed and sliced wild mushrooms
OR
[4 ounces dried wild mushrooms, rehydrated (use soaking liquid
for stock,
above)
1 lb sliced button mushrooms]
1 small loaf of good white bread, sliced

1. Beat eggs and 0.75 teaspoon salt. Whisk in stock, cream, and
milk.
Set aside.

2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion,
garlic
and thyme; saute until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the sliced
mushrooms and cook until wilted, about5 10 minutes. Season with
the
remaining 0.5 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.

3. Spray an 8.5" x 4.5" x 2.5" loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the
bottom
with a layer of bread slices. Top with half the mushroom mixture.
Repeat the layers and top with a third layer of bread. Pour in
the
egg mixture. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.

4. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Unwrap the dish and press the bread
down
into the liquid. replace the foil and place in a roasing pan.
Pour
enough boiling water intot he roasting pan to come halfway up the
sides
of the loaf pan. Bake until the pudding is set and the top is
puffed
and browned, about 2 hours. The pudding can be made ahead and
reheated.
Cut into slices and serve warm.

I've only ever made this with the dried mushrooms; I've always used
the
kind of generic European ones that I find in a small plastic tub near
the canned mushrooms.

I've never bothered with the bain marie, and it's worked out fine,
although
probably not as originally intended.