Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are there any of the oldtimers left?

Hi,

I havent been here for years.

On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
is beautiful btw).

Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Michael Nielsen wrote:

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

Hi Michael! Dams, Gregory, Blake, Chris D, Tammy, Jill and yes, Sheldon
- posting under the nym of Brooklyn1. You'll recognize his 'style' right
off.

I'm a relative newcomer to the group, recent acquisition, er wife, to
Bob Terwilliger.

PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
is beautiful btw).

I do love good brussel sprouts. Your version sounds quite similar to
Thomas Keller's "Bouchon". Love their sprouts -- and the restaurant! And
that is a fine wine you are having with it. Bob and I are in NorCal so
we get out that way (and your way) quite often.

Chris D is in New Mexico, but we hope to have her back "home" in the Bay
area soon.

Welcome back!

--Lin
Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" wrote in message
Hi,

I havent been here for years.

On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
is beautiful btw).

Hi Archon,

Yeah some of us from years ago are still around. Silvia, if you mean the
one from Spain, doesn't post anymore, but Chris, Jill, Sheldon, Victor,
Melba (Barb), and a bunch of other old timers still do.

Glad to see you again. What are you doing in this country? Working here
now, or school?

Boli

Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Archon,

Yeah some of us from years ago are still around. *Silvia, if you mean the
one from Spain, doesn't post anymore, but Chris, Jill, Sheldon, Victor,
Melba (Barb), and a bunch of other old timers still do.

Yeah, after going further int oteh list of posts I see some posts.
(using google.com)

Glad to see you again. *What are you doing in this country? *Working here
now, or school?

I was here in 2004 as the obligatory 6 months abroad during my phd
scholarship.
Now Im back to do some more research while Im employed as an assistant
professor at Aalborg University.
It is only for 2 months with the option to going back for more
experiments next year.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Heya Michael!!

Yes, several of us are still around. *

I am currently living in Albuquerque, NM, but trying to move back to
the SFBA in the next few months.

You were going somewhere else last time werent you?

How did you happen to be able to come back to California? *

(replied in another post)

Good to see you!!! *Stick around for a bit, will ya??!!

If you mean geographically, then no, Im going back to DK in the end of
this month.
The group? no problem.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Michael! Dams, Gregory, Blake, Chris D, Tammy, Jill and yes, Sheldon
- posting under the nym of Brooklyn1. You'll recognize his 'style' right
off.

lol

I'm a relative newcomer to the group, recent acquisition, er wife, to
Bob Terwilliger.

That rings a bell... by "new" you mean a few years, dont you?

I do love good brussel sprouts. Your version sounds quite similar to
Thomas Keller's "Bouchon".

Where is that? Where is a good restaurant to get a good steak? (none
in Davis)

Love their sprouts -- and the restaurant! And
that is a fine wine you are having with it. Bob and I are in NorCal so
we get out that way (and your way) quite often.

Going to see whales at Point Reyes much? I went the last two weekends,
without much luck.
Might go again this weekend, or go to lake tahoo.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Michael Nielsen wrote:

That rings a bell... by "new" you mean a few years, dont you?

Nope. Just a couple of years. We celebrate our second anniversary next
week. Still honeymooning! ;-)

I do love good brussel sprouts. Your version sounds quite similar to
Thomas Keller's "Bouchon".

Where is that? Where is a good restaurant to get a good steak? (none
in Davis)

Bouchon is in Yountville. It's part of that Napa area. The other two
Thomas Keller Napa restaurants -- The French Laundry, and 'ad hoc' --
are also in Yountville and within walking distance of each other. Bob
said his steak and frites at Bouchon were some of the best he's ever
had. I had lamb that night. We had a really lovely hanger steak at 'ad
hoc' but they have a fixed price menu that changes daily. It was only by
chance that we had that served to us since we didn't know what it was
going to be when we made our reservations. You'd have to check with them
before a menu is posted to see when they serve that again.

Going to see whales at Point Reyes much? I went the last two weekends,
without much luck.
Might go again this weekend, or go to lake tahoo.

We were at Point Reyes just a few weeks ago, but for cheese from the
Cowgirl Creamery and then on to Tomales Bay for fresh oysters. I don't
think you'll be seeing any whales at Lake Tahoe! ;-) Ski bunnies maybe,
but no whales.

--Lin
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

You can have the menu emailed to you.

Yup. Bob's on their list. We hope to take you there when you get back.
Manresa's, too. After seeing Kinch beat Flay on Iron Chef America, I'm
ready for a trip to Los Gatos.

--Lin
Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Michael Nielsen wrote:

Hi,

I havent been here for years.

On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

Do I count?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

Do I count?

Yep

Old 04-04-2009, 01:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Nielsen wrote:
Hi,

I havent been here for years.

On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
is beautiful btw).

I remember you. I went through a fairly long period of not
posting or posting very little but am posting regularly again at
this point.

--
Jean B.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" wrote in message
So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

I'm still here, Michael.

Jill

Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:24:20 -0700 (PDT), Michael Nielsen wrote:

Hi,

I havent been here for years.

On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).

So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

i am flattered you remember me, micheal (i hope they're fond memories). i
am indisputably here, as are some others, who i am sure will speak up.

some folks say the dump has changed of late, but i think it is more the
same than not. hope you sitck around.

your pal,
blake

Oldtimers hotair[_2_] Barbecue 7 07-01-2016 07:33 AM
OT PING: Oldtimers - Rainbw bridge time. Chemiker General Cooking 8 03-08-2011 12:19 AM
New uses for a couple of oldtimers Kalmia General Cooking 26 28-02-2011 11:08 PM
HOW MUCH IS LEFT ? Dave Bugg Barbecue 4 16-02-2005 01:21 PM