Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are there any of the oldtimers left?

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >

> >> I'm still around but I'm not sure what
> >> is considered an old timer.
> >>

> > I'm not sure either. I've been here since 1996. Used to post as "Katra".
> >

> Remembers the name Katra, but I was not reading the group when you
> changed monikers. I did not realize that was you.
>

> Becca

Kili knew. :-)

It's all good... <hugs>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 06 Apr 2009 12:36:35a, Omelet told us...

> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> I'm still around but I'm not sure what is considered an old timer.

> I'm not sure either. I've been here since 1996. Used to post as "Katra".

Neither am I, but I began posting here in 1997, however, under a different
name.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> HawaiianEye > news:49d76b20$0$13105$156eb02
> @unlimited.newshosting.com: in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I'm still here, but if I use my name it will draw all my cyber-stalkers.
>> Those that know me, know me from Japan and Thailand, and my delicious
>> Shrimp with Lobster Sauce recipe in the RFC cookbook!

Ahhhhh. Look who's here! I won't spill the beans....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>
>> I'm still around but I'm not sure what
>> is considered an old timer.

> I'm not sure either. I've been here since 1996. Used to post as "Katra".

Ah. That rings a vague bell.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm still around but I'm not sure what
> >> is considered an old timer.

> > I'm not sure either. I've been here since 1996. Used to post as "Katra".

> Ah. That rings a vague bell.

Been awhile since I used it. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I havent been here for years.
>
> On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.
>
> I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
> in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
> fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
> damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).
>
> So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
> tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?
>
> PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
> so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
> foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
> it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
> is beautiful btw).

I'm still here AND still in Davis (working, that is). Gosh was it 2004?
That means it's been 5 years since I broke my foot!

Time flies....

Ciao!
Tammy (no broken bones this time....)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>> HawaiianEye > news:49d76b20$0$13105$156eb02
>> @unlimited.newshosting.com: in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> I'm still here, but if I use my name it will draw all my
>>> cyber-stalkers. Those that know me, know me from Japan and
>>> Thailand, and my delicious Shrimp with Lobster Sauce recipe in the
>>> RFC cookbook!

> Ahhhhh. Look who's here! I won't spill the beans....

And great to hear from him it is!
Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 5, 5:27*pm, bulka > wrote:
> On Apr 3, 10:24 pm, Michael Nielsen > wrote:> Hi,
>
> > I havent been here for years.

> > On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

> Hmm. *How old do you have to be? *I was on in Chicago what, 15? years
> ago. *Cook-in at Kate's(?) condo on the lake. *Any of you I met there?
>
> Then I was absent for a few years and lost touch.
>
> CC wouln't post my pic the last time I sent it (Gazpachinator), but

You love gazpacho?

OK, to be lazy I wont reply to all posts saying " remember you " etc.
so I will post here
that you (bulka) is the only one of them I do not remember, LOL
But the rest who replied I do. The purpose of my ping was exactly to
spark my memory
to settle in completely and it worked (except for bulka).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You might try Seasons at 1st and F Streets. They have a new chef who
> seems competent.

Is that on that "square" with Borders?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 4, 2:31*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-04-04, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > His real name. *Michael Nielsen. LOL. *

> Thank you.

I also posted a little under sequoiagrove.
I was accused for adverticing when I told about how I loved my new
scanpan pans and damascus VG10 knives.

> > He is on the Mugshots page.....

> Yeppers. *I know THE history. *

OK, not that interesting to keep talking about that... You'd love my
new story, though.
But not telling it lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Nope. Just a couple of years. We celebrate our second anniversary next
> week. Still honeymooning! ;-)

Wow, normally that settles in after less than 6 months, you are quite
lucky, except how does that affect you abilities to do well at work

> Bouchon is in Yountville. It's part of that Napa area. The other two
> Thomas Keller Napa restaurants -- The French Laundry, and 'ad hoc' --
> are also in Yountville

Saturday I had 7 koreans visiting and I served them traditional danish
food (pork tenderloin prepared as game - I posted the recipe once upon
a time here).
So I went to drive randomly around sunday and ended up in Napa, where
I was cursing at myself for not remembering what you said and where it
was.
I just randomly chose a cozy street to drive on and almost stopped
somewhere else, but then I saw it and went "thats the one!"
I had a steak frites, with sauteed spinach instead of fries, and a
rochuefort quiche.
Went into the bakery next door and got a double espresso and a lemon
tart, fruit tart and a palladin bread (paladin is my favourite class
in world of warcraft lol).
I almost bought their French Laundry Cookbook, but is it worth the
price?
After that I found a nice Winery Sattui and got a madeira based on
zinfandel.
It was getting late so I followed the sun (west) to the shore and
drove down hwy 1.
Next weekend will be Lake Tahoe.

> We were at Point Reyes just a few weeks ago, but for cheese from the
> Cowgirl Creamery and then on to Tomales Bay for fresh oysters.

I drove through tomales yesterday, but was still full from the Bouchon
steak. I had a light supper in Stinton beach Parkside Cafe.
Mussels in whitewine-parsley stuff.

> I don't
> think you'll be seeing any whales at Lake Tahoe! ;-) Ski bunnies maybe,
> but no whales.

Hmm, how would you phrase my sentence so that it is not interpretted
as a(b+c) but (ab+c)?
(yes, I know, I think in systems, Im an engineer... human empathy
replaced with technical empathy)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I do love good brussel sprouts. Your version sounds quite similar to
> Thomas Keller's "Bouchon".

Actually, the spinach I got there is like my own spinach too: sauteed
and with garlic.
But the steak has a funny oinonbased salsa like garnish. I havent done
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 11:07*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Mon 06 Apr 2009 12:36:35a, Omelet told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > *"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> >> I'm still around but I'm not sure what *is considered an old timer.

> > I'm not sure either. I've been here since 1996. *Used to post as "Katra".

> Neither am I, but I began posting here in 1997, however, under a different
> name.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> * * * * * * *- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Wayne, Have I known you since 1996?????? Back when Damsel was Damsel,
Melba was Melba, and Sheldon/Brooklyn was Penmart ? Lynn in Fargo.
PS I did NOT see that Gag Morrow had posted that "joke". Please
forgive me. I was under the influence of heavy drugs (tooth abscess).
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Ooh..I forgot that.
> I got a new scanpan grill pan, and I adore it!!!

We got a scanpan sauté skillet as a wedding gift. It gets a lot of use
around here.

Oh, and if I haven't told you lately, Christine ... I think you rock! :-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Oooh..don't tempt me. I already have a lot of All-Clad though.....so
> don't really need any more saute pans.

The only All-Clad we have (as far as I know) is our monster roasting
pan. I love that thing.

> I got this grill pan, cause my heavy Le Crueset one is a bit more
> trouble to use. I saw it mentioned on one of the blogs. It is the
> professional one.... I love it already.... So very easy to clean up,
> and so easy to use.

Yowsers! I went and looked at those pans on Amazon. Now I want one ....

Now, for something completely different ... Bob has been cooking some
incredible things from "Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges" .. EXCELLENT
cookbook, and yes we still have your pristine copy waiting for you. If
you would prefer I send it now, I would be more than happy to do so. You
are going to LOVE this book. I think it's one of my new favorites. There
are things in there that even I might try to cook! ;-)

--Lin (improvisational cook)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Is this the one you looked at? This is the review that seduced me..
> http://www.andreasreviews.com/2009/0...nal-grill-pan/

That would be the one! And seductive it is ... Lucky girl!

> Keep it up there. I will be packing enough cookbooks when I get ready
> to head up that way. That will be one less cookbook to pack, and give
> me more room to include one of my favorites.

Okie-dokie ... but it's really, really good! One more -- just one more
won't be too much. <using my best, sultry temptress voice>

--Lin (the books, like the Siren they call and sing to you!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Ooh..I forgot that. *
> I got a new scanpan grill pan, and I adore it!!! *

Their knives are even better than their pans

The scanpan damastahl knives are on amazon as well.

> Aahaa!!! *Now you have teased us..... *

Nah, I'll write a script for hollywood...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:04:11 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Michael Nielsen
> wrote:
>

>>I was accused for adverticing when I told about how I loved my new
>>scanpan pans and damascus VG10 knives.

>Ooh..I forgot that.
>I got a new scanpan grill pan, and I adore it!!!

Is that something you buy on the home shopping network?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I havent been here for years.

Well, it can't be that long because I remember you (and I've only been
around here for about 4 years) <g>

Welcome back, Michael. BTW, I still have your Mugshot, some signature
dishes and a link to a site of yours on the RFC site.

<Cathy waves to sf - good job I didn't delete Michael's Mugshot,
donchyathunk?>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:11:47 -0700, Lin >
> wrote:
>

>> We got a scanpan sauté skillet as a wedding gift. It gets a lot of use
>> around here.

> Oooh..don't tempt me. I already have a lot of All-Clad though.....so
> don't really need any more saute pans.
>
> I got this grill pan, cause my heavy Le Crueset one is a bit more
> trouble to use. I saw it mentioned on one of the blogs. It is the
> professional one.... I love it already.... So very easy to clean up,
> and so easy to use.
>> Oh, and if I haven't told you lately, Christine ... I think you rock! :-)

> Why thank you so very much!!
>
> Christine, blushing

I have been thinking about Scanpans for a while but haven't seen
them locally. How heavy are they? I find the larger All-Clad
pieces to be too heavy for comfortable use.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:43:18 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:41:14 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>>Is that something you buy on the home shopping network?

>Nope.
>I bought it through Amazon. It's a little less expensive there....
>I posted a link for a review of it.

If you posted it in this thread, I missed it. I've only sampled the
posts here and deleted all yesterday.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:09:20 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:56:32 -0700, Lin >
>wrote:
>
>>Yowsers! I went and looked at those pans on Amazon. Now I want one ....

>Is this the one you looked at? This is the review that seduced me..
>http://www.andreasreviews.com/2009/0...nal-grill-pan/

Aha! Found it. You posted it *after* I deleted and shut down.

In any case, I haven't mentioned it here yet... but I'm crossing over
to the other side. Not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't
find a 48" electric cooktop with a built in grill to replace my old
one. In fact, it's hard enough just finding a 48" electric cooktop.
Cutting to the chase - the plumber put in a gas line yesterday and my
new cooktop has been ordered. I should be cooking with gas in two
more weeks. It has 6 burners and a built in grill. Yahoo!
http://www.us-appliance.com/kg6bugrpocoa.html

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:50:40 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Michael Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I havent been here for years.

>Well, it can't be that long because I remember you (and I've only been
>around here for about 4 years) <g>
>
>Welcome back, Michael. BTW, I still have your Mugshot, some signature
>dishes and a link to a site of yours on the RFC site.
>
><Cathy waves to sf - good job I didn't delete Michael's Mugshot,
>donchyathunk?>

I *still* say if they don't post for a year, they can ask to have
their mugshot restored or send a new one. I, personally, don't like
looking at all the mugshots of posters who haven't shown up in eons.
As far as infrequent posters and lurkers go. I can't imagine *why*
they'd want to have their mug up on the page.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message

> Ooh..I forgot that.
> I got a new scanpan grill pan, and I adore it!!!

>> Their knives are even better than their pans

>> The scanpan damastahl knives are on amazon as well.

> Aahaa!!! Now you have teased us.....
>

>> Nah, I'll write a script for hollywood...

And from what you've told me, it'll rival Stephen King =:-o

TammyM, in the know but not sayin' a woid :-)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Good morning sf, you wrote:

> In any case, I haven't mentioned it here yet... but I'm crossing over
> to the other side. Not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't
> find a 48" electric cooktop with a built in grill to replace my old
> one. In fact, it's hard enough just finding a 48" electric cooktop.
> Cutting to the chase - the plumber put in a gas line yesterday and my
> new cooktop has been ordered. I should be cooking with gas in two
> more weeks. It has 6 burners and a built in grill. Yahoo!
> http://www.us-appliance.com/kg6bugrpocoa.html

Oooooh! That's indeed a drool-worthy cooktop. Color me envious! ;-)

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not a real frequent participant, but I started here in 1990 on an IBM
mainframe system. Yikes, almost 20 years ago.

MK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:05:50 -0700, Lin >
wrote:

>Good morning sf, you wrote:
>
>> In any case, I haven't mentioned it here yet... but I'm crossing over
>> to the other side. Not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't
>> find a 48" electric cooktop with a built in grill to replace my old
>> one. In fact, it's hard enough just finding a 48" electric cooktop.
>> Cutting to the chase - the plumber put in a gas line yesterday and my
>> new cooktop has been ordered. I should be cooking with gas in two
>> more weeks. It has 6 burners and a built in grill. Yahoo!
>> http://www.us-appliance.com/kg6bugrpocoa.html

>Oooooh! That's indeed a drool-worthy cooktop. Color me envious! ;-)

Thanks, Lin! I'll let you know how it works out. This was the only
one that seemed to be made for old fashioned 26 inch counters and
didn't protrude 2 inches in front.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 6:24*pm, Michael Nielsen > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I havent been here for years.
>
> On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.
>
> I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
> in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
> fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
> damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).
>
> So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
> tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

Michael,

I wouldn't bet any money on it, but I believe you and I exchanged a
few posts about five or six years ago. I post every once in a while,
but mostly just lurk at this point. If I think there's something I
can add, I toss it out there. But otherwise, it's lurk mode.

Welcome back to The States.

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking
AQ AQ is offline

I haven't been around for years and don't really monitor the group any
more, but I do get google updates and happened to catch mention of
this thread. I remember going to a meet up in San Diego many years
ago. Good times.

Arturo

Here is one of the many yummy recipes from that day... as saved on my
computer.

Originally my MIL's recipe, it has changed very little. The original
called
for coconut milk, my husband has omitted the coconut milk because his
lovely
wife <modest wave> can't eat it.
Typically, we use bone-in chicken breast and my mother's hot peppers
instead
of ground red pepper. This curry is also good with beef, goat, lamb or
duck.
(Pork & fish would need less cooking time.)

Chapman Chicken Curry

Recipe By: Cynthia Chapman (Trinidad, West Indies)

Serves: 4

4 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves, peeled

3 inches ginger root slice

2 tablespoons curry powder, yellow

1 tablespoon garam masala

1 tablespoon saffron threads

1 teaspoon cumin

1 large onion

2 teaspoons ground red pepper, or to taste

Salt and pepper, to taste

3 whole cloves

2 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 pounds chicken

1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 recipe Chapman Mango Chutney

Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add garlic, onions, and
saffron. Let garlic & onion cook until garlic turns dark brown. Remove
garlic.

Lower heat to medium. Add curry powder, garam masala, red pepper, salt
and
pepper, ginger slices to oil. Mix well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes,
stirring
occasionally.

Add chicken, water and potatoes. Stir well. Cover and let cook over
medium
heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat to low, allow to cook for 1 1/2
hours
or until chicken is fork tender.

Turn off heat. Let sit, covered, for 20 minutes.

Serve with rice and mango chutney.

Chapman Mango Chutney

Recipe By: Cynthia Chapman (Trinidad, West Indies)

Serves: 4

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves - peeled and smashed

1 1/2 inches ginger root slice

2 tablespoons yellow curry powder

1/2 tablespoon garam masala

1 tablespoon saffron threads

1 teaspoon cumin

2 teaspoons ground red pepper, or to taste

1/2 large onion, sliced

2 large mangoes, seed removed, unpeeled and sliced

Salt and pepper, to taste

3 whole cloves

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup sugar

Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add garlic, onions, and
saffron. Let garlic & onion cook until garlic turns dark brown. Remove
garlic.

Lower heat to medium. Add curry powder, garam masala, salt and pepper,
ginger slices to oil. Mix well. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring
occasionally.

Add mangoes and water. Stir well. Cover and let cook over medium heat
until
mixture boils. Reduce heat to low and add sugar. Cook for 1 hour.

Turn off heat. Let sit, covered, for 30 minutes.

--
readah

Before responding, take out the trash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 19:00:06 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Terry Pulliam
Burd wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:24:20 -0700 (PDT), Michael Nielsen
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I havent been here for years.
>>
>>On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.

><snip>
>
>There are a lot of us around, but many of us aren't posting as much as
>we used to. I've been posting here since about '94, but have done so
>less and less as work piles up, the years pile on and my attention
>span shortens :-)

Like me, I don't post much here anymore.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
here since 1993?

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I havent been here for years.
>
> On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.
>
> I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
> in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
> fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
> damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).
>
> So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
> tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?
>
> PS: I am atm cooking brussel spouts (boiled slightly, fried in butter
> so the shell is caramelized), home-made guacamole (without
> foodprocessor or blender), and a nice steak from The Co-op. And having
> it with a napa valley Rom Bauer Cab "stags leap district" (the winery
> is beautiful btw).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon wrote:
> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
> here since 1993?

Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would
recognize you if you did!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Sharon" > wrote:
>If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>here since 1993?

A boring old fart!

And I should know, I first came here in 1990-91. (IIRC at my age. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Sharon wrote:
>> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>> here since 1993?

> Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would recognize
> you if you did!!!!
>
> --
> Jean B.

I don't post often, but I have been around since 1993. The user name I post
under has changed over the years as my news server and internet access have
changed. I originally posted from a Unix account until I no longer had a
need for a workstation at work, then every couple of years I've migrated to
new PC hardware that has to be set up for news access from scratch every
time, plus add to that my company has taken the liberty of changing my email
address format, our news server domain address and such, all of which make
it look like I'm new here each time.

Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Sharon wrote:
>>> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>>> here since 1993?

>> Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would recognize
>> you if you did!!!!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I don't post often, but I have been around since 1993. The user name I post
> under has changed over the years as my news server and internet access have
> changed. I originally posted from a Unix account until I no longer had a
> need for a workstation at work, then every couple of years I've migrated to
> new PC hardware that has to be set up for news access from scratch every
> time, plus add to that my company has taken the liberty of changing my email
> address format, our news server domain address and such, all of which make
> it look like I'm new here each time.
>
> Sharon

Oh, I believe you. Nice to see you here, Sharon.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 06:55:59 -0700, Sharon wrote:

> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
> here since 1993?

one foot in the grave.

your pal,
blake

> "Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I havent been here for years.
>>
>> On the front page I dont see any of the oldtimers I knew.
>>
>> I am back in Davis, CA and its like a trip on memory lane. I remmber
>> in 2004 there was almost a cookin in sacramento, but then the host
>> fell on her bike. I remember a berkeley trip with chrisd and I visited
>> damsel in dis dress in minnesota and saw the SPAM museum (lol).
>>
>> So I wonder - is silvia, damsel in dis dress, gregory, blake, chrisd,
>> tammy, sheldon the rude, jill the scot, et. al. still around?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:47:04 -0700, "Sharon" >
wrote:

>"Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Sharon wrote:
>>> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>>> here since 1993?

>> Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would recognize
>> you if you did!!!!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

>I don't post often, but I have been around since 1993. The user name I post
>under has changed over the years as my news server and internet access have
>changed. I originally posted from a Unix account until I no longer had a
>need for a workstation at work, then every couple of years I've migrated to
>new PC hardware that has to be set up for news access from scratch every
>time, plus add to that my company has taken the liberty of changing my email
>address format, our news server domain address and such, all of which make
>it look like I'm new here each time.
>
>Sharon

That's strange I was thinking about oldtimers here myself. We've been
in usenet since 1992, on BBS's and listserves since 1988. We put up
our first recipe website in 1995, was on Prodigys recipe site, Chilis,
Gemini, Cyberealm, Mealmasters and others, don't really see anyone I
used to know anymore. Perhaps they've moved on, I feel old
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred said...

> In article >, "Sharon"
> > wrote:
>>If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>>here since 1993?

> A boring old fart!
>
> And I should know, I first came here in 1990-91. (IIRC at my age. :-)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Hi Phred!

I remember the internet when it printed out "screens" on paper on an APL360
computer terminal in 6th grade.

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon" > wrote in message

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Sharon wrote:
>>> If being here in 2004 makes one an old-timer, what is someone who's been
>>> here since 1993?

>> Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would
>> recognize you if you did!!!!
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I don't post often, but I have been around since 1993. The user name I
> post under has changed over the years as my news server and internet
> access have changed. I originally posted from a Unix account until I no
> longer had a need for a workstation at work, then every couple of years
> I've migrated to new PC hardware that has to be set up for news access
> from scratch every time, plus add to that my company has taken the liberty
> of changing my email address format, our news server domain address and
> such, all of which make it look like I'm new here each time.

I went and looked in the google archives. I've been posting under my first
remembered email since 2001 on RFC by the looks of it. I was using a
different feed through a BBS to access usenet beginning in the early '90s.
Not sure just when I started lurking on RFC or whether I posted or not from
the BBS.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

> "Sharon" > wrote in message

>>> Sharon! You sure don't post frequently, because I think I would
>>> recognize you if you did!!!!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> I don't post often, but I have been around since 1993. The user name
>> I post under has changed over the years as my news server and internet
>> access have changed. I originally posted from a Unix account until I
>> no longer had a need for a workstation at work, then every couple of
>> years I've migrated to new PC hardware that has to be set up for news
>> access from scratch every time, plus add to that my company has taken
>> the liberty of changing my email address format, our news server
>> domain address and such, all of which make it look like I'm new here
>> each time.
>>

> I went and looked in the google archives. I've been posting under my
> first remembered email since 2001 on RFC by the looks of it. I was
> using a different feed through a BBS to access usenet beginning in the
> early '90s. Not sure just when I started lurking on RFC or whether I
> posted or not from the BBS.
>
> Debbie

The archives don't necessarily tell the whole story, because I
gather some early messages disappeared when deja news bit the dust.

--
Jean B.

Oldtimers hotair[_2_] Barbecue 7 07-01-2016 06:33 AM
OT PING: Oldtimers - Rainbw bridge time. Chemiker General Cooking 8 03-08-2011 12:19 AM
New uses for a couple of oldtimers Kalmia General Cooking 26 28-02-2011 10:08 PM
HOW MUCH IS LEFT ? Dave Bugg Barbecue 4 16-02-2005 12:21 PM