Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's a substitute for Pernod?

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> One hot summer I decided to try it as a drink. It went down well. I had
> another and another, and maybe a few more. I should have known that
> anything that could be used for a flambe would be potent. It snuck up on
> me with a powerful kick.

A one ounce shot turns my gullet into a big hot licorice tube for about
ten seconds. Hmm... Maybe I'll take out a loan and buy some. I haven't
had a shot in a generation.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:56:24 PM UTC-5, Kris wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>
> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Kris

I am also in a Pernod fix. Can't justify buying a $70 bottle of alcohol for 1 Tablespoon required for a recipe - another Ina Garten recipe I should add, from her recipe book: How Easy is That? The recipe is Roasted Shrimp with Feta. I have some pure Anise extract and a good airline sized bottle of Vodka from Estonia. On the side of teh Anise extract it says 1/2 tsp. extract = 1 tbsp anise liqueur. Maybe I don't need to Vodka after all...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Nov 2018, Ed Pawlowski wrote
(in article >):

> On 11/25/2018 6:38 PM, wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:56:24 PM UTC-5, Kris wrote:
> > > Good evening all,
> > >
> > > I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
> > >
> > > I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
> > > What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help,
> > >
> > > Kris

> > I am also in a Pernod fix. Can't justify buying a $70 bottle of alcohol for
> > 1 Tablespoon required for a recipe - another Ina Garten recipe I should
> > add, from her recipe book: How Easy is That? The recipe is Roasted Shrimp
> > with Feta. I have some pure Anise extract and a good airline sized bottle
> > of Vodka from Estonia. On the side of teh Anise extract it says 1/2 tsp.
> > extract = 1 tbsp anise liqueur. Maybe I don't need to Vodka after all...

> Most anything with anise should do.
> Pernod belongs to the family of spirits whose flavor is dominated by the
> aroma of anise. Other members of the family include anisette, Greek
> ouzo, Turkish raki, and pastis, which is flavored with licorice as well
> as anise. Anise spirits differ widely in their alcoholic strength and
> sweetness.

Have you thought of blitzing up some fennel to a pulp, and adding that?

Saves having to buy expensive alcohol and should give an aniseed background
to a dish.