Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Really, really fine-grind peppermill?

Dear foodites (foodies? foodalls? whatever...)

My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. I abhor
chunks of pepper. Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.
Probably harks back to my childhood, when we got that cheap salami
that had whole peppercorns in it. Biting into one of those chunks was
UnGood Eats.

Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
if possible. As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. I don't
know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
does...

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
news
> Dear foodites (foodies? foodalls? whatever...)

I like "foodballs." Kind of like odd balls, only foody. And really odd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 12:50*pm, Terry > wrote:
> Dear foodites (foodies? *foodalls? *whatever...)
>
> My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. *I abhor
> chunks of pepper. *Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.
> Probably harks back to my childhood, when we got that cheap salami
> that had whole peppercorns in it. *Biting into one of those chunks was
> UnGood Eats.
>
> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
> if possible. *As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. *I don't
> know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
> does...
>
> Best -- Terry

I had an abundance of peppercorns and put some in my electric coffee
grinder which I reserve for spices. ( I have two coffee grinders -
one was a gift) I was surprised at the nice, fine grind. No more
ready ground pepper for THIS kid. I understand ya git more than jus'
pepper in the bougt'n pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sam Sam is offline

On 2009-04-01 12:50:08 -0400, Terry > said:

> Dear foodites (foodies? foodalls? whatever...)
>
> My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. I abhor
> chunks of pepper. Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.
> Probably harks back to my childhood, when we got that cheap salami
> that had whole peppercorns in it. Biting into one of those chunks was
> UnGood Eats.
>
> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
> if possible. As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. I don't
> know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
> does...
>
> Best -- Terry

Try a Unicorn grinder.
So far, the best grinder I've ever purchased, and it's adjustable.

HTH-
sam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sam" > wrote in message
> On 2009-04-01 12:50:08 -0400, Terry > said:
>
>> Dear foodites (foodies? foodalls? whatever...)
>>
>> My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. I abhor
>> chunks of pepper. Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.
>> Probably harks back to my childhood, when we got that cheap salami
>> that had whole peppercorns in it. Biting into one of those chunks was
>> UnGood Eats.
>>
>> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
>> if possible. As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. I don't
>> know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
>> does...
>>
>> Best -- Terry

> Try a Unicorn grinder.
> So far, the best grinder I've ever purchased, and it's adjustable.

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of buying a 9" Magnum Plus Unicorn seems a
bit weird. A peppermill Ron Jeremy would love.

http://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum...8611649&sr=8-2

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry > wrote:

> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
> if possible.

I find that peppermills with a Peugeot mechanism can be adjusted to
produce a very fine grind. Do not know if I'd describe it as dust, but
individual grains would surely not be detectable by taste.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Terry > wrote:
>
>> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
>> if possible.

> I find that peppermills with a Peugeot mechanism can be adjusted to
> produce a very fine grind. Do not know if I'd describe it as dust, but
> individual grains would surely not be detectable by taste.

And it's arguably the best-made mechanism that's widely available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 9:50*am, Terry > wrote:
> Dear foodites (foodies? *foodalls? *whatever...)
>
> My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. *I abhor
> chunks of pepper. *Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.
> Probably harks back to my childhood, when we got that cheap salami
> that had whole peppercorns in it. *Biting into one of those chunks was
> UnGood Eats.
>
> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
> if possible. *As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. *I don't
> know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
> does...
>
> Best -- Terry

I use a coffee grinder reserved for spices only. It'll turn pepper to
dust quite easily...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:50:08 -0500, Terry >
wrote:

>My taste in black pepper runs to an extremely fine grind. I abhor
>chunks of pepper. Sorry.... that's my taste and I'm sticking to it.

Just buy a can of finely ground pepper, you'll be happy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:59:20 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> Terry > wrote:
>
>> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust, if
>> possible.

> I find that peppermills with a Peugeot mechanism can be adjusted to
> produce a very fine grind. Do not know if I'd describe it as dust, but
> individual grains would surely not be detectable by taste.
>
> Victor

I have a Peugeot imitation, 20" high, make 'Olde Thompson' in USA, crap. A
Coles Mason, 4", translucent plastic, made in England, absolutely useless.
And, 2 Peugeots, one 40 years old, the wood is split, and it is still
working fine, 20". And to replace that old wreck, a new one, same brand,
same type, crap too.. That may be an accident.. And then I had an antique
box-style one, Peugeot too... A miniature coffeegrinder. Sold that thing..
My Peugeot diesel car just reached 285.000 km. Stil going fine.. But does
not mill pepper. ;-)

--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:44:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:15:40 -0700, "Jebediah Kornworthy"
> wrote:
>

>>"Terry" > wrote in message

>>> Anyway... I'd like to get a peppermill that produces a uniform dust,
>>> if possible. As fine as popcorn salt would be acceptable. I don't
>>> know what I'm looking for...but one or more of you good folk probably
>>> does...

>> You might want to tread this article. I found it very
>>interesting and you might also
>>
>>http://www.chow.com/stories/10482
>>

>>Good luck in finding what you want,

>I'm having trouble understanding why anyone wants pepper to taste like
>dust. BTDT in UK... where's the pepper mill?

Thank you VERY much Jeb! Excellent article. From that and others'
comments I just ordered the Unicorn Keytop.

That article also answers sf's question: "...in his subtle dishes,
ground pepper should add flavor without being seen or felt." I agree
with the chef.

Best -- Terry