Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default is sugar making a comeback?

fron the *new york times*:

Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point

By KIM SEVERSON
Published: March 20, 2009

Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
ingredient.

From the tomato sauce on a Pizza Hut pie called ´The Natural,ˇ to the
just-released soda Pepsi Natural, some of the biggest players in the
American food business have started, in the last few months, replacing
high-fructose corn syrup with old-fashioned sugar.

ConAgra uses only sugar or honey in its new Healthy Choice All Natural
frozen entrees. Kraft Foods recently removed the corn sweetener from its
salad dressings, and is working on its Lunchables line of portable meals
and snacks.

The turnaround comes after three decades during which high-fructose corn
syrup had been gaining on sugar in the American diet. Consumption of the
two finally drew even in 2003, according to the Department of Agriculture.
Recently, though, the trend has reversed. Per capita, American adults ate
about 44 pounds of sugar in 2007, compared with about 40 pounds of
high-fructose corn syrup.

´Sugar was the old devil, and high-fructose corn syrup is the new devil,ˇ
said Marcia Mogelonsky, a senior analyst at Mintel International, a
market-research company.

(more at:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss>
)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 28, 10:46*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
> reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
> ingredient. [snip]

HFCS tastes different than sugar, don't ya think? Some markets here
in SoCal are selling Coca Cola imported from Mexico and getting a
premium price for it because it's made with sugar and tastes better
("like it used to"). HFCS has served a useful purpose for me, in that
I look for it on the labels of things like pasta sauces and if it's
there I know I probably won't like the taste. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point

well, I certainly was excited to go into my local Publix for some Taylor
Pork Roll early one morning on the way home from work. No one there
shopping yet but the Coke delivery man was there. Holding my TPR, I
asked him if the Kosher Coke was available? He replied that it was
upfront in a huge display getting ready for the Passover shoppers.
I scarfed up a 2 liter bottle (look for the yellow cap) and some
wonderfully decadent dark chocolate covered Streit's Matzo.

I wondered if anyone considered the TPR along with the other items a bit
trashy?
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

> It does but I don't find it sufficiently different to make me want look
> for Mexican or kosher coke.

HFCS doesn't rinse well out of the mouth. Sugared sodas are much
more refreshing, crisper, and cleaner (even more so when it's 7-UP).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Did it go somewhere?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When did it go away?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:04:21 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>Did it go somewhere?

We will have to ask around...and see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> shopping yet but the Coke delivery man was there. Holding my TPR, I
> asked him if the Kosher Coke was available? He replied that it was
> upfront in a huge display getting ready for the Passover shoppers.
> I scarfed up a 2 liter bottle (look for the yellow cap) and some
> wonderfully decadent dark chocolate covered Streit's Matzo.

Whoa, thanks! I missed it last year.
Passover is coming right up, April 8 to 15.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
> reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
> ingredient.
>
> From the tomato sauce on a Pizza Hut pie called ´The Natural,ˇ to the
> just-released soda Pepsi Natural, some of the biggest players in the
> American food business have started, in the last few months, replacing
> high-fructose corn syrup with old-fashioned sugar.
>
> ConAgra uses only sugar or honey in its new Healthy Choice All Natural
> frozen entrees. Kraft Foods recently removed the corn sweetener from its
> salad dressings, and is working on its Lunchables line of portable meals
> and snacks.
>
> The turnaround comes after three decades during which high-fructose corn
> syrup had been gaining on sugar in the American diet. Consumption of the
> two finally drew even in 2003, according to the Department of Agriculture.
> Recently, though, the trend has reversed. Per capita, American adults ate
> about 44 pounds of sugar in 2007, compared with about 40 pounds of
> high-fructose corn syrup.
>
> ´Sugar was the old devil, and high-fructose corn syrup is the new devil,ˇ
> said Marcia Mogelonsky, a senior analyst at Mintel International, a
> market-research company.
>
> (more at:
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss>
> )
>
> your pal,
> blake

Well, this thrills me. I think HFCS makes things taste dull--not
the same as sugar at all.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>

> your pal,
> blake

The corn crops are being used up in the production of ethanol for the energy
subsidy. Therefore, plain old sugar is now a less expensive alternative.
And yes, good old beet or cane sugar is hard to replace in baked goods and
other sweet treats. The taste is what we grew up with.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:04:07 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> It does but I don't find it sufficiently different to make me want look
>> for Mexican or kosher coke.

> HFCS doesn't rinse well out of the mouth. Sugared sodas are much
> more refreshing, crisper, and cleaner (even more so when it's 7-UP).
>
> -sw

i switched from a store brand grapefruit tangerine juice that had HFCS to
ocean spray, which has cane or beet sugar. it doesn't seem to coat the
back of the tongue like the syrup stuff did.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:18:55 -0600, Puester wrote:

> When did it go away?
>
> gloria p

i know what you mean, but you do have to kinda look for it.

your pal,
blake