FoodBanter.com

-   -   is sugar making a comeback? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/170148-sugar-making-comeback.html)

blake murphy[_2_] 28-03-2009 07:46 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

fron the *new york times*:

Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point

By KIM SEVERSON
Published: March 20, 2009

Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
ingredient.

From the tomato sauce on a Pizza Hut pie called ´The Natural,ˇ to the
just-released soda Pepsi Natural, some of the biggest players in the
American food business have started, in the last few months, replacing
high-fructose corn syrup with old-fashioned sugar.

ConAgra uses only sugar or honey in its new Healthy Choice All Natural
frozen entrees. Kraft Foods recently removed the corn sweetener from its
salad dressings, and is working on its Lunchables line of portable meals
and snacks.

The turnaround comes after three decades during which high-fructose corn
syrup had been gaining on sugar in the American diet. Consumption of the
two finally drew even in 2003, according to the Department of Agriculture.
Recently, though, the trend has reversed. Per capita, American adults ate
about 44 pounds of sugar in 2007, compared with about 40 pounds of
high-fructose corn syrup.

´Sugar was the old devil, and high-fructose corn syrup is the new devil,ˇ
said Marcia Mogelonsky, a senior analyst at Mintel International, a
market-research company.

(more at:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss>
)

your pal,
blake

[email protected] 28-03-2009 08:03 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

On Mar 28, 10:46*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
> reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
> ingredient. [snip]

HFCS tastes different than sugar, don't ya think? Some markets here
in SoCal are selling Coca Cola imported from Mexico and getting a
premium price for it because it's made with sugar and tastes better
("like it used to"). HFCS has served a useful purpose for me, in that
I look for it on the labels of things like pasta sauces and if it's
there I know I probably won't like the taste. -aem

James Silverton[_2_] 28-03-2009 08:26 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

wrote on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:03:24 -0700 (PDT):

> On Mar 28, 10:46 am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> fron the *new york times*:
>>
>> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>>
>> By KIM SEVERSON
>> Published: March 20, 2009
>>
>> Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians
>> have long reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a
>> natural, healthful ingredient. [snip]

>HFCS tastes different than sugar, don't ya think?

It does but I don't find it sufficiently different to make me want look
for Mexican or kosher coke.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

enigma[_2_] 28-03-2009 08:31 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

wrote in
.
com:

> HFCS tastes different than sugar, don't ya think? Some markets
> here in SoCal are selling Coca Cola imported from Mexico and
> getting a premium price for it because it's made with sugar and
> tastes better ("like it used to"). HFCS has served a useful
> purpose for me, in that I look for it on the labels of things
> like pasta sauces and if it's there I know I probably won't like
> the taste. -aem

yes! it's too sweet. but then, i'm one of those people who think,
besides the evil nauseating aftertaste, that all artificial
sweeteners are too sweet. yes, even the "just like real sugar"
artificial sweeteners have a horrid aftertaste. blech.
lee

Goomba[_2_] 28-03-2009 08:50 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

blake murphy wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point

well, I certainly was excited to go into my local Publix for some Taylor
Pork Roll early one morning on the way home from work. No one there
shopping yet but the Coke delivery man was there. Holding my TPR, I
asked him if the Kosher Coke was available? He replied that it was
upfront in a huge display getting ready for the Passover shoppers.
I scarfed up a 2 liter bottle (look for the yellow cap) and some
wonderfully decadent dark chocolate covered Streit's Matzo.

I wondered if anyone considered the TPR along with the other items a bit
trashy?
Goomba

Sqwertz 28-03-2009 09:04 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

James Silverton > wrote:

> It does but I don't find it sufficiently different to make me want look
> for Mexican or kosher coke.

HFCS doesn't rinse well out of the mouth. Sugared sodas are much
more refreshing, crisper, and cleaner (even more so when it's 7-UP).

-sw

Felice 28-03-2009 09:04 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

Did it go somewhere?

Felice

Puester[_2_] 28-03-2009 09:18 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

When did it go away?

gloria p

Mr. Bill[_2_] 28-03-2009 09:58 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:04:21 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>Did it go somewhere?

We will have to ask around...and see.

Mark Thorson 28-03-2009 10:28 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

Goomba wrote:

> shopping yet but the Coke delivery man was there. Holding my TPR, I
> asked him if the Kosher Coke was available? He replied that it was
> upfront in a huge display getting ready for the Passover shoppers.
> I scarfed up a 2 liter bottle (look for the yellow cap) and some
> wonderfully decadent dark chocolate covered Streit's Matzo.

Whoa, thanks! I missed it last year.
Passover is coming right up, April 8 to 15.

Jean B.[_1_] 28-03-2009 10:41 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

blake murphy wrote:
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> Sugar, the nutritional pariah that dentists and dietitians have long
> reviled, is enjoying a second act, dressed up as a natural, healthful
> ingredient.
>
> From the tomato sauce on a Pizza Hut pie called ´The Natural,ˇ to the
> just-released soda Pepsi Natural, some of the biggest players in the
> American food business have started, in the last few months, replacing
> high-fructose corn syrup with old-fashioned sugar.
>
> ConAgra uses only sugar or honey in its new Healthy Choice All Natural
> frozen entrees. Kraft Foods recently removed the corn sweetener from its
> salad dressings, and is working on its Lunchables line of portable meals
> and snacks.
>
> The turnaround comes after three decades during which high-fructose corn
> syrup had been gaining on sugar in the American diet. Consumption of the
> two finally drew even in 2003, according to the Department of Agriculture.
> Recently, though, the trend has reversed. Per capita, American adults ate
> about 44 pounds of sugar in 2007, compared with about 40 pounds of
> high-fructose corn syrup.
>
> ´Sugar was the old devil, and high-fructose corn syrup is the new devil,ˇ
> said Marcia Mogelonsky, a senior analyst at Mintel International, a
> market-research company.
>
> (more at:
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dining/21sugar.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss>
> )
>
> your pal,
> blake

Well, this thrills me. I think HFCS makes things taste dull--not
the same as sugar at all.

--
Jean B.

Dan Abel 29-03-2009 12:12 AM

is sugar making a comeback?

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> wrote in
> .
> com:
>
> > HFCS tastes different than sugar, don't ya think? Some markets
> > here in SoCal are selling Coca Cola imported from Mexico and
> > getting a premium price for it because it's made with sugar and
> > tastes better ("like it used to"). HFCS has served a useful
> > purpose for me, in that I look for it on the labels of things
> > like pasta sauces and if it's there I know I probably won't like
> > the taste. -aem

> yes! it's too sweet. but then, i'm one of those people who think,
> besides the evil nauseating aftertaste, that all artificial
> sweeteners are too sweet. yes, even the "just like real sugar"
> artificial sweeteners have a horrid aftertaste. blech.

HFCS is no more an "artificial" sugar than those white crystals you buy
in a sack or box. HFCS is composed of fructose and glucose. Apples are
very high in fructose and glucose. Do you find that apples "have a
horrid aftertaste"?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Dale P 29-03-2009 06:06 AM

is sugar making a comeback?

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> fron the *new york times*:
>
> Sugar Is Back on Food Labels, This Time as a Selling Point
>
> By KIM SEVERSON
> Published: March 20, 2009
>

> your pal,
> blake

The corn crops are being used up in the production of ethanol for the energy
subsidy. Therefore, plain old sugar is now a less expensive alternative.
And yes, good old beet or cane sugar is hard to replace in baked goods and
other sweet treats. The taste is what we grew up with.

Dale P

blake murphy[_2_] 29-03-2009 03:33 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:04:07 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> It does but I don't find it sufficiently different to make me want look
>> for Mexican or kosher coke.

> HFCS doesn't rinse well out of the mouth. Sugared sodas are much
> more refreshing, crisper, and cleaner (even more so when it's 7-UP).
>
> -sw

i switched from a store brand grapefruit tangerine juice that had HFCS to
ocean spray, which has cane or beet sugar. it doesn't seem to coat the
back of the tongue like the syrup stuff did.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy[_2_] 29-03-2009 03:35 PM

is sugar making a comeback?

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:18:55 -0600, Puester wrote:

> When did it go away?
>
> gloria p

i know what you mean, but you do have to kinda look for it.

your pal,
blake