Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Flavorwave Oven

G'day, Group (yes I am an Australian)

So I saw the advertisment with Mr. T, went out and bought one and absolutely
love it. Have used it for all my cooking since, although I do not claim to
be any sort of chef. I just do simple meals, like steak and chips (french
fries for any Americans here....hey I did not want to wade through hundreds
of messages, so did a search to see if this device had been discussed before
and came up empty so it was mark all read and jump in) barbecues, roasts,
heat up frozen pizzas or pies, fish and chips, bacon and eggs (I did buy the
accessories kit..don't think that could fry an egg without the browning
tray). My own findings.. I don't know if it can cook from frozen. I've
always preferred to cook things like steak at a low heat and never been in a
hurry, so thaw it out first. Is it three times faster than a conventional
oven? No it's about twice as fast, but remember I prefer to use low
temperatures. Does it cook from the inside out? No, it does not. It would be
quite easy using high temperatures to have things like like steaks, roasts
etc. well done on the outside and raw in the centre. They also have to be
turned over during the cooking cycle, although things like chips, which only
take about ten minutes anyway come out quite O.K. using the high rack and
frying basket without being turned. No fat? Well, minimum. I've found that
it's always a good idea to spray the browning tray, grill tray etc. with
vegetable oil and if I am frying, spray the food as well. Self cleaning? Not
really. After cooking a roast for example, even if I use the self cleaning
feature straight away there is always some fat at the bottom of the bowl
which I have to clean manually but that is quite easy compared to an oven or
frypan. So there are some of my pros and cons and if anyone here wants to to
do the same or exchange their own experiences, recipes, cooking tips etc. it
might be more on topic than some of the messages I did read here.

Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Allan Pengelly" > wrote in message
news
> G'day, Group (yes I am an Australian)
>
> So I saw the advertisment with Mr. T, went out and bought one and
> absolutely
> love it. Have used it for all my cooking since, although I do not claim to
> be any sort of chef. I just do simple meals, like steak and chips (french
> fries for any Americans here....hey I did not want to wade through
> hundreds
> of messages, so did a search to see if this device had been discussed
> before
> and came up empty so it was mark all read and jump in) barbecues, roasts,
> heat up frozen pizzas or pies, fish and chips, bacon and eggs (I did buy
> the
> accessories kit..don't think that could fry an egg without the browning
> tray). My own findings.. I don't know if it can cook from frozen. I've
> always preferred to cook things like steak at a low heat and never been in
> hurry, so thaw it out first. Is it three times faster than a conventional
> oven? No it's about twice as fast, but remember I prefer to use low
> temperatures. Does it cook from the inside out? No, it does not. It would
> be
> quite easy using high temperatures to have things like like steaks, roasts
> etc. well done on the outside and raw in the centre. They also have to be
> turned over during the cooking cycle, although things like chips, which
> only
> take about ten minutes anyway come out quite O.K. using the high rack and
> frying basket without being turned. No fat? Well, minimum. I've found that
> it's always a good idea to spray the browning tray, grill tray etc. with
> vegetable oil and if I am frying, spray the food as well. Self cleaning?
> Not
> really. After cooking a roast for example, even if I use the self cleaning
> feature straight away there is always some fat at the bottom of the bowl
> which I have to clean manually but that is quite easy compared to an oven
> or
> frypan. So there are some of my pros and cons and if anyone here wants to
> do the same or exchange their own experiences, recipes, cooking tips etc.
> it
> might be more on topic than some of the messages I did read here.
>
> Allan

Hi, Allan....If you wish to discuss your new 'Flavorwave Oven'....It would
be a little more helpful for you to check into rec.food.equipment,
Mate...Give them a try..Maybe they will 'Stick' more on topic than we do
here on RFC .... Yes, we do go off topic quite a bit, so what?....Whilst the
cooking is in the oven, we catch up on a bit of gossip.. :-)

Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 6:29*pm, "Allan Pengelly" > wrote:
> G'day, Group (yes I am an Australian)
>
> So I saw the advertisment with Mr. T, went out and bought one and absolutely
> love it. Have used it for all my cooking since, although I do not claim to
> be any sort of chef. I just do simple meals, like steak and chips (french
> fries for any Americans here....hey I did not want to wade through hundreds
> of messages, so did a search to see if this device had been discussed before
> and came up empty so it was mark all read and jump in) barbecues, roasts,
> heat up frozen pizzas or pies, fish and chips, bacon and eggs (I did buy the
> accessories kit..don't think that could fry an egg without the browning
> tray). My own findings.. I don't know if it can cook from frozen. I've
> always preferred to cook things like steak at a low heat and never been in a
> hurry, so thaw it out first. Is it three times faster than a conventional
> oven? No it's about twice as fast, but remember I *prefer to use low
> temperatures. Does it cook from the inside out? No, it does not. It would be
> quite easy using high temperatures to have things like like steaks, roasts
> etc. well done on the outside and raw in the centre. They also have to be
> turned over during the cooking cycle, although things like chips, which only
> take about ten minutes anyway come out quite O.K. using the high rack and
> frying basket without being turned. No fat? Well, minimum. I've found that
> it's always a good idea to spray the browning tray, grill tray etc. with
> vegetable oil and if I am frying, spray the food as well. Self cleaning? Not
> really. After cooking a roast for example, even if I use the self cleaning
> feature straight away there is always some fat at the bottom of the bowl
> which I have to clean manually but that is quite easy compared to an oven or
> frypan. So there are some of my pros and cons and if anyone here wants to to
> do the same or exchange their own experiences, recipes, cooking tips etc. it
> might be more on topic than some of the messages I did read here.
>
> Allan

Hi Allan,

I just got my Flavorwave 2 days ago.
So far I have tried bacon and eggs, steaks from frozen and also a
roast chicken.

The bacon and eggs: well, the bacon was fine, it cooked lightly using
the settings in the recipe book but that is okay as I hate over cooked
bacon. I don't like it crispy. The eggs, well, very disappointed. One
side of the egg gets cooked, the other side raw and certainly raw in
the centre.

The steaks from frozen, hubby liked them the way they turned out. But
so much for the cooking all around. You definitely have to turn them
during cooking.

The chicken was roasted from fresh. Using the guide, I set the temp
and time. I had to turn the chook over midway. The skin browns quickly
and you would have to be careful not to burn it, not that we eat the
skin anyway.
The book didn't say to use the expender ring, but I found I had to
otherwise the chicken was too close to the heater and fan. Still, had
to keep a careful eye on it as it would tend to burn the skin.

Did 30 mins one side of the chook and a further 30 mins the other
side. Looked good, smelt good, but close to the carcass, the meat was
still raw, so it certainly does not cook from the inside as stated.

Will be trying other things out within my 30 days (such as cooking a
cake, although have read on the choice website that their tests
indicate cakes and pastries don't cook very well) but feel I might be
sending it back, as so far, a little disappointed. My mum bought the
cheaper version from Deals Direct, being the Eurolab model for only
$80 so will be interesting to see how it compares to the Flavorwave.

Patty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 8, 10:03*pm, wrote:
> On Mar 23, 6:29*pm, "Allan Pengelly" > wrote:
>

> > G'day, Group (yes I am an Australian)

> > So I saw the advertisment with Mr. T, went out and bought one and absolutely
> > love it. Have used it for all my cooking since, although I do not claim to
> > be any sort of chef. I just do simple meals, like steak and chips (french
> > fries for any Americans here....hey I did not want to wade through hundreds
> > of messages, so did a search to see if this device had been discussed before
> > and came up empty so it was mark all read and jump in) barbecues, roasts,
> > heat up frozen pizzas or pies, fish and chips, bacon and eggs (I did buy the
> > accessories kit..don't think that could fry an egg without the browning
> > tray). My own findings.. I don't know if it can cook from frozen. I've
> > always preferred to cook things like steak at a low heat and never been in a
> > hurry, so thaw it out first. Is it three times faster than a conventional
> > oven? No it's about twice as fast, but remember I *prefer to use low
> > temperatures. Does it cook from the inside out? No, it does not. It would be
> > quite easy using high temperatures to have things like like steaks, roasts
> > etc. well done on the outside and raw in the centre. They also have to be
> > turned over during the cooking cycle, although things like chips, which only
> > take about ten minutes anyway come out quite O.K. using the high rack and
> > frying basket without being turned. No fat? Well, minimum. I've found that
> > it's always a good idea to spray the browning tray, grill tray etc. with
> > vegetable oil and if I am frying, spray the food as well. Self cleaning? Not
> > really. After cooking a roast for example, even if I use the self cleaning
> > feature straight away there is always some fat at the bottom of the bowl
> > which I have to clean manually but that is quite easy compared to an oven or
> > frypan. So there are some of my pros and cons and if anyone here wants to to
> > do the same or exchange their own experiences, recipes, cooking tips etc. it
> > might be more on topic than some of the messages I did read here.

> > Allan

> Hi Allan,
>
> I just got my Flavorwave 2 days ago.
> So far I have tried bacon and eggs, steaks from frozen and also a
> roast chicken.
>
> The bacon and eggs: well, the bacon was fine, it cooked lightly using
> the settings in the recipe book but that is okay as I hate over cooked
> bacon. I don't like it crispy. The eggs, well, very disappointed. One
> side of the egg gets cooked, the other side raw and certainly raw in
> the centre.

A company sells a new widget that is good for certain things, but they
can't resist claiming that it is good for other things that it is not
good for.

> The steaks from frozen, hubby liked them the way they turned out. But
> so much for the cooking all around. You definitely have to turn them
> during cooking.

If you want baked steaks. Nothing like steaks cooked over wood or
lump.

> The chicken was roasted from fresh. Using the guide, I set the temp
> and time. I had to turn the chook over midway.

Seems like the thing would work great for chicken.

>The skin browns quickly
> and you would have to be careful not to burn it, not that we eat the
> skin anyway.

Mmmm, chicken skin.

> Patty

--Bryan