Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default World Water Day

Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/

On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252

"Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
need about five to ten times more."

See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html

"For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
beef=16000."
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/
>
> On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
> http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252
>
> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
> need about five to ten times more."
>
> See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>
> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
> beef=16000."
> --
>
> modom

FYI, this planet is something like 80% covered with water. We've long
had the technology to desalinate it as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:50:21 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:
>>
>> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/
>>
>> On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
>> http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252
>>
>> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
>> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
>> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
>> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
>> need about five to ten times more."
>>
>> See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>>
>> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
>> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
>> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
>> beef=16000."

>FYI, this planet is something like 80% covered with water. We've long
>had the technology to desalinate it as well.

FYI, Iowa is a might distant from any ocean, and it produces more corn
(maize) and pork than any other US state. That would be more than
730,000,000 cubic meters of water for the 112,281 metric tons Iowa
exported to South Korea alone in 2008. http://tinyurl.com/djzoj9 (NB,
I converted metric tons to US tons to get that number.)

Resource availability would seem germane to the discussion.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>light wrote:
>
>On Mar 23, 8:31 am, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
>wrote:
>> Today is World Water Day. Details hehttp://www.worldwaterday.org/
>>
>> On a related note: virtual water. From this

>site:http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...2%20onfocus%3D..
>.
>>
>> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
>> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
>> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
>> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
>> need about five to ten times more."
>>
>> See also:http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>>
>> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
>> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
>> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
>> beef=16000."
>> --
>>
>> modom

>It's time for us to do some measures to protect our earth .Water is
>really important for everyone .
>---------------
>
>GM replies:
>
>"World Water Day" is simply another one of those ridiculous liberal and
>politcally - correct "feel good" stunts to make the successful people of the
>world feel "guilty" about using "too much" water...
>
>It's a similar con to the "global warming" scam...
>
>Reminds me of a "crunchy" neighbor who used to put bricks in his toilet tank
>to "save" water. DUH - we lived two short blocks from Lake Michigan here in
>Chicawgo, what a nonsensical thing to do...

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Today is World Water Day. Details hehttp://www.worldwaterday.org/
>
> On a related note: virtual water. From this

site:http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...2%20onfocus%3D..
..

> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
> need about five to ten times more."
>
> See also:http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>
> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
> beef=16000."
> --
>
> modom

It's time for us to do some measures to protect our earth .Water is
really important for everyone .
---------------

GM replies:

"World Water Day" is simply another one of those ridiculous liberal and
politcally - correct "feel good" stunts to make the successful people of the
world feel "guilty" about using "too much" water...

It's a similar con to the "global warming" scam...

Reminds me of a "crunchy" neighbor who used to put bricks in his toilet tank
to "save" water. DUH - we lived two short blocks from Lake Michigan here in
Chicawgo, what a nonsensical thing to do...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:50:21 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> >"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:
> >>
> >> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/
> >>
> >> On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
> >> http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252
> >>
> >> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
> >> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
> >> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
> >> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
> >> need about five to ten times more."
> >>
> >> See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
> >>
> >> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
> >> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
> >> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
> >> beef=16000."

> >FYI, this planet is something like 80% covered with water. We've long
> >had the technology to desalinate it as well.

> FYI, Iowa is a might distant from any ocean, and it produces more corn
> (maize) and pork than any other US state. That would be more than
> 730,000,000 cubic meters of water for the 112,281 metric tons Iowa
> exported to South Korea alone in 2008. http://tinyurl.com/djzoj9 (NB,
> I converted metric tons to US tons to get that number.)
>
> Resource availability would seem germane to the discussion.

If we can pipeline gas and oil across entire countries, we can certainly
desalinate and pipeline water to where it is needed. It ain't magic nor
is it impossible, it just takes funds which will be readily available as
cheaper sources dry up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:

> >Reminds me of a "crunchy" neighbor who used to put bricks in his toilet tank
> >to "save" water. DUH - we lived two short blocks from Lake Michigan here in
> >Chicawgo, what a nonsensical thing to do...

> You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

It's almost funny, isn't it?

I think a lot of people don't realize that the water that comes to their
house has to be drinking quality, even though a very tiny percentage of
their water use is actually for drinking.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:

>> >Reminds me of a "crunchy" neighbor who used to put bricks in his toilet
>> >tank
>> >to "save" water. DUH - we lived two short blocks from Lake Michigan
>> >here in
>> >Chicawgo, what a nonsensical thing to do...

>> You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

> It's almost funny, isn't it?
>
> I think a lot of people don't realize that the water that comes to their
> house has to be drinking quality, even though a very tiny percentage of
> their water use is actually for drinking.

The only reason to place bricks in a toilet tank is when folks have a
problematic septic system and don't have a low volume flush terlit....
doesn't really make sense for people on a municiple sewer system.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 2:56*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > > wrote:
> > >Reminds me of a "crunchy" neighbor who used to put bricks in his toilet tank
> > >to "save" water. *DUH - we lived two short blocks from Lake Michigan here in
> > >Chicawgo, what a nonsensical thing to do...

> > You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

> It's almost funny, isn't it? *
>
> I think a lot of people don't realize that the water that comes to their
> house has to be drinking quality, even though a very tiny percentage of
> their water use is actually for drinking.

My municipal water authority claims that the treated effluent
discharged
to Lake Erie is cleaner than the untreated water that is drawn in
from
Lake Huron. I have no reason to doubt them.

Thus, the water that I "waste" goes to Toledo, then Cleveland,
then Buffalo, and so on. It's really difficult to think of water as
wasted when it leaves my house. Flush on, Greg!

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/

Have you tried the instant war yet?

Just add hot coffee.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"

toilet

> >> You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

> > It's almost funny, isn't it?
> >
> > I think a lot of people don't realize that the water that comes to their
> > house has to be drinking quality, even though a very tiny percentage of
> > their water use is actually for drinking.
> >

> The only reason to place bricks in a toilet tank is when folks have a
> problematic septic system and don't have a low volume flush terlit....
> doesn't really make sense for people on a municiple sewer system.

Thank you.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/
>
> On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
> http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252
>
> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
> need about five to ten times more."
>
> See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>
> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
> beef=16000."
> --
>
> modom

The high school kids in my congregation have done several projects to
increase awareness that not everyone has ready access to adequate water
for their needs. They did a fund raiser to purchase water hippos,
wheelable water jugs that increase the volume that a person can carry
from a well in a given trip. Two weeks ago they also had a "waterless
car wash". Unfortunately, it rained that day. (This is Seattle.)

To those who would argue that water awareness is just a liberal PC
concern, let's talk about those Republican farmers in California, Texas,
or Georgia who are in the midst of a long drought. They have to get
water to irrigate their crops from somewhere. Desalination requires
energy, then the water has to get pumped from the coast to the farms
using energy. Currently the farmers lobby their legislators to divert
water from rivers, reservoirs, and lakes for their needs. You may
remember the video footage of lakes in Georgia that were nearly sucked
dry due to droughts in the last two years.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:57:10 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:
>
>> Today is World Water Day. Details he http://www.worldwaterday.org/
>>
>> On a related note: virtual water. From this site:
>> http://www.worldwatercouncil.org/ind...onfocus%3D%252
>>
>> "Virtual water is the amount of water that is embedded in food or
>> other products needed for its production. For example, to produce one
>> kilogram of wheat we need about 1,000 litres of water, i.e. the
>> virtual water of this kilogram of wheat is 1,000 litres. For meat, we
>> need about five to ten times more."
>>
>> See also: http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/water-footprint.html
>>
>> "For example, the virtual water content (in m3/ton) for potatoes is
>> 160. Others examples - maize=450; milk=900; wheat=1200; soybean=2300;
>> rice=2700; poultry=2800; eggs=4700; cheese=5300; pork=5900; and
>> beef=16000."

>The high school kids in my congregation have done several projects to
>increase awareness that not everyone has ready access to adequate water
>for their needs. They did a fund raiser to purchase water hippos,
>wheelable water jugs that increase the volume that a person can carry
>from a well in a given trip. Two weeks ago they also had a "waterless
>car wash". Unfortunately, it rained that day. (This is Seattle.)
>
>To those who would argue that water awareness is just a liberal PC
>concern, let's talk about those Republican farmers in California, Texas,
>or Georgia who are in the midst of a long drought. They have to get
>water to irrigate their crops from somewhere. Desalination requires
>energy, then the water has to get pumped from the coast to the farms
>using energy. Currently the farmers lobby their legislators to divert
>water from rivers, reservoirs, and lakes for their needs. You may
>remember the video footage of lakes in Georgia that were nearly sucked
>dry due to droughts in the last two years.
>
>Cindy

Here's a chart of reservoirs in the North Texas area:
http://www.town-mall.net/community/texas_lakes.html

We got almost 5 inches of rain a week and a half ago here in Cow Hill
and surrounding areas. We're in the Chapman Lake watershed (everybody
calls it Cooper Lake, though). Chapman Lake is 6 feet below normal
even after all that rain. Mostly this is because the DFW Metroplex
pumps between 3 and 5 million gallons of water out of it every day for
lawns and pools and car washes and assorted toilets. It's not
uncommon for the lake to be surounded by hundreds of feet of mudflats
at the end of summer.

Note that some lakes on that list are 8, 9, even 10 feet below optimum
pool elevation. And it's spring -- the wet season around here. Come
August, things are going to get ugly.

And now the thirsty cities to our west -- Dallas, Fort Worth,
Arlington, and the suburbs -- are working every angle in Austin and
D.C. to dam more streams and flood more farmland around where I live
so they can continue to waste water on golf courses. Their imperial
attitude towards stewardship of the land and water will royally ruin a
lot of this part of the world because they want more water.

This is not some feel-good kumbaya thing. I'm talking about people
who raise our food potentially losing out to a bunch of suburban lawns
in a raw political power struggle with well connected big shots.

Let them eat grass.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller said...

> To those who would argue that water awareness is just a liberal PC
> concern, let's talk about those Republican farmers in California, Texas,
> or Georgia who are in the midst of a long drought.

Let's not and say we did.

There are probably about a billion square miles of barren land on this
planet. Probably why the Middle East nations fight so much.

Think of the fish! With the melting of the polar ice caps, more fresh water
is "polluting" the ocean salt water. Salt water fish are dying out.

Funny thing is, every molecule of H2O (except what is rocketed and then
expelled into outer space) is still here! You might be drinking Julius
Caesar's ****, recycled 1,000,000x, right now.

Water can't be depleted.

Might be fun if it rained everywhere for 10 minutes a day, before or after
siesta!

Another stupid "Day"!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> [...]

> at the end of summer.
>
> Note that some lakes on that list are 8, 9, even 10 feet below optimum
> pool elevation. And it's spring -- the wet season around here. Come
> August, things are going to get ugly.
>
> And now the thirsty cities to our west -- Dallas, Fort Worth,
> Arlington, and the suburbs -- are working every angle in Austin and
> D.C. to dam more streams and flood more farmland around where I live
> so they can continue to waste water on golf courses. Their imperial
> attitude towards stewardship of the land and water will royally ruin a
> lot of this part of the world because they want more water.
>
> This is not some feel-good kumbaya thing. I'm talking about people
> who raise our food potentially losing out to a bunch of suburban lawns
> in a raw political power struggle with well connected big shots.

I agree. This is a very serious issue, in this country and around
the world. If there is a shortage of water in a region, the
priority should be sustaining life--and that includes
growing/otherwise producing food.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:57:10 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> > > wrote:

> >> The high school kids in my congregation have done several projects to
> >> increase awareness that not everyone has ready access to adequate water
> >> for their needs. They did a fund raiser to purchase water hippos,
> >> wheelable water jugs that increase the volume that a person can carry
> >>from a well in a given trip. Two weeks ago they also had a "waterless
> >> car wash". Unfortunately, it rained that day. (This is Seattle.)
> >>
> >> To those who would argue that water awareness is just a liberal PC
> >> concern, let's talk about those Republican farmers in California, Texas,
> >> or Georgia who are in the midst of a long drought. They have to get
> >> water to irrigate their crops from somewhere. Desalination requires
> >> energy, then the water has to get pumped from the coast to the farms
> >> using energy. Currently the farmers lobby their legislators to divert
> >> water from rivers, reservoirs, and lakes for their needs. You may
> >> remember the video footage of lakes in Georgia that were nearly sucked
> >> dry due to droughts in the last two years.
> >>
> >> Cindy

> > Here's a chart of reservoirs in the North Texas area:
> > http://www.town-mall.net/community/texas_lakes.html
> >
> > We got almost 5 inches of rain a week and a half ago here in Cow Hill
> > and surrounding areas. We're in the Chapman Lake watershed (everybody
> > calls it Cooper Lake, though). Chapman Lake is 6 feet below normal
> > even after all that rain. Mostly this is because the DFW Metroplex
> > pumps between 3 and 5 million gallons of water out of it every day for
> > lawns and pools and car washes and assorted toilets. It's not
> > uncommon for the lake to be surounded by hundreds of feet of mudflats
> > at the end of summer.
> >
> > Note that some lakes on that list are 8, 9, even 10 feet below optimum
> > pool elevation. And it's spring -- the wet season around here. Come
> > August, things are going to get ugly.
> >
> > And now the thirsty cities to our west -- Dallas, Fort Worth,
> > Arlington, and the suburbs -- are working every angle in Austin and
> > D.C. to dam more streams and flood more farmland around where I live
> > so they can continue to waste water on golf courses. Their imperial
> > attitude towards stewardship of the land and water will royally ruin a
> > lot of this part of the world because they want more water.
> >
> > This is not some feel-good kumbaya thing. I'm talking about people
> > who raise our food potentially losing out to a bunch of suburban lawns
> > in a raw political power struggle with well connected big shots.
> >
> > Let them eat grass.

> I agree. This is a very serious issue, in this country and around
> the world. If there is a shortage of water in a region, the
> priority should be sustaining life--and that includes
> growing/otherwise producing food.

If there is a shortage water in a region then the priority should be on
developing the proper infrastructure to bring in more water, not whining
about having to make due with the existing outgrown infrastructure. This
is what governments are supposed to be for, building and managing common
infrastructure. Water pipelines are no different than highways and
sewers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:57:10 -0700, Cindy Fuller

>>> Here's a chart of reservoirs in the North Texas area:
>>> http://www.town-mall.net/community/texas_lakes.html
>>>
>>> We got almost 5 inches of rain a week and a half ago here in Cow Hill
>>> and surrounding areas. We're in the Chapman Lake watershed (everybody
>>> calls it Cooper Lake, though). Chapman Lake is 6 feet below normal
>>> even after all that rain. Mostly this is because the DFW Metroplex
>>> pumps between 3 and 5 million gallons of water out of it every day for
>>> lawns and pools and car washes and assorted toilets. It's not
>>> uncommon for the lake to be surounded by hundreds of feet of mudflats
>>> at the end of summer.
>>>
>>> Note that some lakes on that list are 8, 9, even 10 feet below optimum
>>> pool elevation. And it's spring -- the wet season around here. Come
>>> August, things are going to get ugly.
>>>
>>> And now the thirsty cities to our west -- Dallas, Fort Worth,
>>> Arlington, and the suburbs -- are working every angle in Austin and
>>> D.C. to dam more streams and flood more farmland around where I live
>>> so they can continue to waste water on golf courses. Their imperial
>>> attitude towards stewardship of the land and water will royally ruin a
>>> lot of this part of the world because they want more water.
>>>
>>> This is not some feel-good kumbaya thing. I'm talking about people
>>> who raise our food potentially losing out to a bunch of suburban lawns
>>> in a raw political power struggle with well connected big shots.
>>>
>>> Let them eat grass.

>> I agree. This is a very serious issue, in this country and around
>> the world. If there is a shortage of water in a region, the
>> priority should be sustaining life--and that includes
>> growing/otherwise producing food.
>>

> If there is a shortage water in a region then the priority should be on
> developing the proper infrastructure to bring in more water, not whining
> about having to make due with the existing outgrown infrastructure. This
> is what governments are supposed to be for, building and managing common
> infrastructure. Water pipelines are no different than highways and
> sewers.

Water is a finite resource. When you bring in more water, you
obviously deplete it from elsewhere.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:

> >> I agree. This is a very serious issue, in this country and around
> >> the world. If there is a shortage of water in a region, the
> >> priority should be sustaining life--and that includes
> >> growing/otherwise producing food.
> >>

> > If there is a shortage water in a region then the priority should be on
> > developing the proper infrastructure to bring in more water, not whining
> > about having to make due with the existing outgrown infrastructure. This
> > is what governments are supposed to be for, building and managing common
> > infrastructure. Water pipelines are no different than highways and
> > sewers.

> Water is a finite resource. When you bring in more water, you
> obviously deplete it from elsewhere.

Technically finite, in practicality infinite since the planet is 80%
covered in water. Water is also recyclable, and indeed they do this on
the space station.