Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Default Stocking a bomb shelter

With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear weapons, I
think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's ready
for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.

What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods have
to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family of four
for the duration.

--
Burt Morgan
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
> weapons, I
> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's
> ready
> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
> have
> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family
> of four
> for the duration.

SPAM
Prunes
Crystal Palace (medcinal purposes of course)
Multi Vitamins
Beer
Chocolate
TP and Wet Ones

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
> weapons, I
> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's
> ready
> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
> have
> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family
> of four
> for the duration.
>
> --
> Burt Morgan

"For the duration" after nukes is pretty damned long. Just figure enough
food for the rest of your life and you'll be all set.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:49:07 +0000, Burt Morgan
> wrote:

>With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear weapons, I
>think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's ready
>for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
>What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods have
>to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family of four
>for the duration.

You're still fighting the cold war? Turn on the Tube, do some
reading. North Korea and Pakistan are scarier.

Mae West
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:14:06 GMT, "brooklyn1" > wrote:

>"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
.. .
>> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
>> weapons, I
>> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's
>> ready
>> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>>
>> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
>> have
>> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family
>> of four
>> for the duration.
>>

>SPAM
>Prunes
>Crystal Palace (medcinal purposes of course)
>Multi Vitamins
>Beer
>Chocolate
>TP and Wet Ones

Crystal Palace??

--
Burt Morgan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
> weapons, I
> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's
> ready
> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
> have
> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family
> of four
> for the duration.
>
> --
> Burt Morgan

MREs and beer.

*******crossposting removed*******

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:22:31 +0000, Burt Morgan
> wrote:

>Crystal Palace??

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/di...mages/2471.jpg

Mae West
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Mar 21, 12:49*pm, Burt Morgan > wrote:
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear weapons, I
> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's ready
> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods have
> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family of four
> for the duration.
>
> --
> Burt Morgan

Russia, huh?

I guess you forgot that with a few well placed campaign contributions,
Clinton/Loral developed China's space and nuclear programs.

Sure, Russia and the Stans are still a threat, but we owe China a lot
of money and if we don't pay it back...

Anyway, ask for Observer's opinion on this one. He's a professional
stocker.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

I'm reading this from alt survival. Noticing that you
include two UK groups on your list. Does this suggest you
are in UK?

If you're planning to outlast a nuke strike, food is one of
many things that need to be considered. Just off the top of
my head, lets think of a few.
* Air
* Water
* Cooking food, and refrigeration
* Sanitation (toilet flushing, hand washing)
* Radiation. Both X-ray shielding, and blocking the ever
present radioactive iodine.
* Defense against criminals
* Medical conditions such as common cold, diarrhea, and
infections.
* Entertainment and boredom
* Rad measurement. How soon to come out, and for how long
per day.
* Decontamination. What if you're at the store when the nuke
hits?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new
nuclear weapons, I
think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter
so that it's ready
for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with
new food.

What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with?
Remember these goods have
to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition
for a family of four
for the duration.

--
Burt Morgan

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Mar 21, 3:55*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:55:15 -0700 (PDT),
>
> wrote:
> >Sure, Russia and the Stans are still a threat, but we owe China a lot
> >of money and if we don't pay it back...

> I think our dept to China is part of our national defense.

Actually, China is indebted to us for far more than a few cheap
campaign contributions.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> SPAM
> Prunes
> Crystal Palace (medcinal purposes of course)

Now I know for sure. Heh. Neighbor o'mine. Kinda.

Van

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

"Burt Morgan" > wrote in message
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
> weapons, I
> think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's
> ready
> for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
> have
> to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family
> of four
> for the duration.
> Burt Morgan

Well if you really want to survive? To start with you are in the wrong
place.

So where is the right place?
Q. Well where did they developed the dammed things in the first place?
A. The South Pacific, thousands of miles from so called civilisation.
Q. Where are they going to use them?
A. Not there

The rest ain't rocket science, first sign of real trouble book a flight to
the nearest airport to Bikini Atoll, and take a boat there.+- 1,000 Miles

Steve Terry

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Burt Morgan wrote:
> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
> weapons, I think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb
> shelter so that it's ready for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now
> restocking it with new food.
>
> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these
> goods have to have a real good shelf life and provide enough
> nutrition for a family of four for the duration.

Chateau Margaux '59 obviously. Not as good as the '29 I grant you but
that is pretty close to its sell by date and as we might be in for a
long haul here, you want something you can lay down for a few decades.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:49:07 +0000, Burt Morgan
> > wrote:
>
> >With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear weapons, I
> >think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's ready
> >for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
> >
> >What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods have
> >to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family of four
> >for the duration.

> You're still fighting the cold war? Turn on the Tube, do some
> reading. North Korea and Pakistan are scarier.

Forget "cold war", North Korea or Pakistan. Think "collapse of global
civilization" from whatever cause, be it war, disease, etc.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

"sf" > wrote in message

> They aren't going to kill the goose that lays the
> golden egg. We keep buying their products and they won't bomb us.

Very true. They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
money they owe us." In very short time, our retail stores would be 3/4
empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. We'd have economic
chaos.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> They aren't going to kill the goose that lays the
>> golden egg. We keep buying their products and they won't bomb us.
>>

> Very true. They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
> boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
> money they owe us." In very short time, our retail stores would be 3/4
> empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
> prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. We'd have economic
> chaos.

We have economic chaos now. And if bad come to worse we would enough of
what we need. Food, shelter, and warmth. What we wouldn't have is a
lot of cheap inexpensive imported things. I'd suggest we need to check
out our value systems and think about what we think is important and
what is not.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Burt Morgan > wrote:

> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods
> have to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a
> family of four for the duration.

Well you'll need lots of dog milk, it's the best emergency milk there
is.

We have a cupboard like that in the house. "The nuclear winter
cupboard". At present it's mostly full of conny onny, coconut milk, a
couple of bricks of chinese tea, Lyles golden syrup and multiple packets
of dried soup.

TBH having watched "When the Wind Blows", I'd suggest getting hold of a
revolver as well.
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc,alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc

I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that Burt Morgan
> reported Elvis on Sat, 21 Mar 2009
16:49:07 +0000 in misc.survivalism:
>With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear weapons, I
>think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb shelter so that it's ready
>for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now restocking it with new food.
>
>What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these goods have
>to have a real good shelf life and provide enough nutrition for a family of four
>for the duration.

What you use currently. I mean, no sense stocking a five year
supply of lentils, peanut butter and vegemite, and nobody in your
family likes any of those. You're not saving any money if you don't
eat it.
Make sure you have a second can opener, not to mention beer tap
(if you're going the keg route).

There a lot of sources for stuff with a "five years" shelf life,
variations on the MR. Some of it is quite good.
Best advice is to use the shelter as part of the pantry, and as
you use stuff up, get more. That way, when the balloon goes up,
you'll have something "fresh" on hand. Plus you get to find out how
well stuff holds up over time. Bottled water, for the same sort of
reason. As I said last winter when the pipe froze "No power I can
handle. Same goes for no phone (ISP dial up). But no water is
serious. I mean, we're talking no coffee! This is a crisis!." [I
survived; went out for a hot coffee, got bottled water, and the pipe
unthawed w/o damage.]
And figure on getting more than you think you will need. One
method is to take the Official Government Estimate, double it, and
move to the next unit of time. Umm, but be reasonable. I mean, if the
Gov says "plan for a year", laying in supplies for two decades might
be a bit much. Might.
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you fnally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you learn it's a Government Project building more tunnel.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

In misc.survivalism Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Very true. They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
> boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
> money they owe us." In very short time,

.... their level of poverty would increase substatially.

our retail stores would be 3/4
> empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
> prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. We'd have economic
> chaos.

As would they. That's why it is a very unlikely scenario,

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Mar 21, 6:36*pm, Fat Moe > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> >> They aren't going to kill the goose that lays the
> >> golden egg. *We keep buying their products and they won't bomb us.

> > Very true. *They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
> > boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
> > money they owe us." * In very short time, *our retail stores would be 3/4
> > empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
> > prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. * *We'd have economic
> > chaos.

> We have economic chaos now. *

No we don't. If you think this is economic chaos, then you're going
to be terrified if you ever do see it.

> And if bad come to worse we would enough of
> what we need. *Food, shelter, and warmth. *What we wouldn't have is a
> lot of cheap inexpensive imported things. *I'd suggest we need to check
> out our value systems and think about what we think is important and
> what is not.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Fat Moe wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> They aren't going to kill the goose that lays the
>>> golden egg.

As an aside, wife is going to try a goose egg for breakfast in the morning.

At £1-25 it is an expensive egg butty.

Dave
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

In article >,
says...

> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with?

Beans, artichokes, and lots of chili powder.

--
eric
Live fast, die only if strictly necessary.

Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc,uk.food+drink.misc

I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that "Lou Ravi"
> reported Elvis on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:00:40
+0100 in misc.survivalism:
>Burt Morgan wrote:
>> With Russia spending many -billions- on rearmament and new nuclear
>> weapons, I think it's time to clean out and make good the bomb
>> shelter so that it's ready for the inevitable nuclear war. I'm now
>> restocking it with new food.
>>
>> What would you guys suggest I stock my shelter with? Remember these
>> goods have to have a real good shelf life and provide enough
>> nutrition for a family of four for the duration.

>Chateau Margaux '59 obviously. Not as good as the '29 I grant you but
>that is pretty close to its sell by date and as we might be in for a
>long haul here, you want something you can lay down for a few decades.

Good point. And the wine cellar makes an excellent shelter as
well.

-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you fnally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you learn it's a Government Project building more tunnel.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:11:05 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Very true. They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
>boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
>money they owe us." In very short time, our retail stores would be 3/4
>empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
>prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. We'd have economic
>chaos.

They aren't that stupid. They'd be in economic chaos too.

Mae West
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:36:07 -0500, Fat Moe >
wrote:

>I'd suggest we need to check
>out our value systems and think about what we think is important and
>what is not.

OK, let's take notes on our needs and who supplies them. Let's start
with shoes. We *need* shoes. Where's our shoe industry? Gone to
China. We need steel for building skyscrapers and cars, Where is
that? Gone to China. Who mills American grown lumber grown on the
West Coast and sold in the US? China. It's less expensive to ship
our logs over there and ship the milled lumber back here to sell in
the US.

Mae West
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Steve Firth wrote:

> Well you'll need lots of dog milk, it's the best emergency milk there
> is.

Could you translate that into US English? I have this unpleasant image of
trying to milk a cocker spaniel.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:53:15 -0700, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>I was also afraid for what would happen, should China "pull the plug" on
> shipping cheap crap to the US. Looks like our economic crunch had hit
>them first!

From what I've read and heard, China's cheap crap producers are
usually subsidiaries of US companies and much of what is considered
foreign design is actually done by American design companies (cars,
for instance).

Mae West

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:53:15 -0700, Dave Bell
> > wrote:
>
>> I was also afraid for what would happen, should China "pull the plug" on
>> shipping cheap crap to the US. Looks like our economic crunch had hit
>> them first!

> From what I've read and heard, China's cheap crap producers are
> usually subsidiaries of US companies and much of what is considered
> foreign design is actually done by American design companies (cars,
> for instance).

No argument there! Whether it's intentional or knock-off, a lot of the
designs come from here. But it's the manufacturing that's headed for the
toilet, due to reduced demand.
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:16:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Mar 21, 6:36*pm, Fat Moe > wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Very true. *They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the China
>> > boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all the
>> > money they owe us." * In very short time, *our retail stores would be 3/4
>> > empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
>> > prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. * *We'd have economic
>> > chaos.

>> We have economic chaos now. *

>No we don't. If you think this is economic chaos, then you're going
>to be terrified if you ever do see it.

Indeed.

Ive been fasinated by the numbers of business's that are still
operational and seem hardly touched by the "crisis".

Only 1 in 5 has been negatively harmed by the economy. That means so
far...everyone else is actually doing ok.

Times may indeed get rough. Or not. Shrug. Im planning on them getting
rough and am digging in a smidge deeper. But then..I live in the
country...and only work at this job in the city.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc,alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:42:57 -0700, pyotr filipivich
> wrote:

>unthawed w/o damage.]
> And figure on getting more than you think you will need. One
>method is to take the Official Government Estimate, double it, and
>move to the next unit of time. Umm, but be reasonable. I mean, if the
>Gov says "plan for a year", laying in supplies for two decades might
>be a bit much. Might.

Or might not be enough.

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:26:38 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:36:07 -0500, Fat Moe >
>wrote:
>
>>I'd suggest we need to check
>>out our value systems and think about what we think is important and
>>what is not.

>OK, let's take notes on our needs and who supplies them. Let's start
>with shoes. We *need* shoes. Where's our shoe industry? Gone to
>China.

Only for cheap low end shoes, and shoes of "art". One can still get US
made boots and shoes that will last a decade.

> We need steel for building skyscrapers and cars, Where is
>that? Gone to China.

Some does indeed. However.....There are lots and lots of US made
steel readily available at junk yards, salvage yards and so forth.
Much of it never having been touched before.

> Who mills American grown lumber grown on the
>West Coast and sold in the US? China. It's less expensive to ship
>our logs over there and ship the milled lumber back here to sell in
>the US.

True indeed.

However..one can set up ones own mill in ones back yard or rented
property and turn out just as much as you wish.

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product*
A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced
before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone
before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected
they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual
and moral principles."
—Sun Tzu
*
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

> wrote in message
> In misc.survivalism Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

>> Very true. They may not kill it, but they can control it. What if the
>> China
>> boss wakes up one day and says "stop all exports to the USA and get all
>> the
>> money they owe us." In very short time,

> ... their level of poverty would increase substatially.
>

> our retail stores would be 3/4
>> empty, much of our manufacturing that relies on imported parts will stop,
>> prices will skyrocket for the things that are left. We'd have economic
>> chaos.

> As would they. That's why it is a very unlikely scenario,

The dictator of China would not care about a temporary poverty situation.
Once he cuts off Wal Mart and takes over the company he can start exporting
again, but at higher prices. He can stop or start any portion as he wishes.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

"sf" > wrote in message

> They aren't that stupid. They'd be in economic chaos too.

Temporarily, but they still have the manufacturing capabilities that we gave
up. They could start with just Wal Mart if they wanted. Our recovery would
be much more difficult here.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Mar 21, 5:11*pm, Winston_Smith > wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> >On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:05:17 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:

> >>Actually, China is indebted to us for far more than a few cheap
> >>campaign contributions.

> >Whatever dood. *They aren't going to kill the goose that lays the
> >golden egg. *We keep buying their products and they won't bomb us. *Is
> >that simple enough for you to understand?

> Their internal market is hugely bigger than the US market and they are
> making impressive inroads into Africa and South America as they
> develop. *It may be the US is past egg producing age and the golden
> goose is ready for the stew pot.

You may be more right than any of us want to admit.

Business goes to where the money will be..not where it was.

TMT
Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

I should see if I can find a company in China to start
making "Buy American! The job you save may be your own"
bumper stickers for me, really cheap.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

The dictator of China would not care about a temporary
poverty situation.
Once he cuts off Wal Mart and takes over the company he can
start exporting
again, but at higher prices. He can stop or start any
portion as he wishes.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

Bohemian Douchebag wrote:

> So you got 3-5 days in the bunker. What are you going to do with human
> waste? This is probably the biggest hindrance to staying in your shelter
> for longer than just a day or two. Food is pretty simple. Hell, you
> could just buy a few cases of MREs.

The last time fallout shelter thinking was in high gear, the five gallon
cans of potable water had instructions stenciled on them on how to convert
them to a latrine. Just pick up any of the civil defense literature from
the '50s and it is all spelled out.

Posted to alt.survival,uk.food+drink.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.food.cooking,uk.misc

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:16:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:26:38 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:36:07 -0500, Fat Moe >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'd suggest we need to check
>>>out our value systems and think about what we think is important and
>>>what is not.

>>OK, let's take notes on our needs and who supplies them. Let's start
>>with shoes. We *need* shoes. Where's our shoe industry? Gone to
>>China.

>Only for cheap low end shoes, and shoes of "art". One can still get US
>made boots and shoes that will last a decade.

But there is NO US Shoe Industry left. Only a limited amount of high
end specialty shoes are made here in the US. End of story, you lose.

>> We need steel for building skyscrapers and cars, Where is
>>that? Gone to China.

>Some does indeed. However.....There are lots and lots of US made
>steel readily available at junk yards, salvage yards and so forth.
>Much of it never having been touched before.

Again, you lose. The real steel industry is gone for good.

>> Who mills American grown lumber grown on the
>>West Coast and sold in the US? China. It's less expensive to ship
>>our logs over there and ship the milled lumber back here to sell in
>>the US.

>True indeed.
>
>However..one can set up ones own mill in ones back yard or rented
>property and turn out just as much as you wish.

Once again, it's a specialty industry... mass production is gone, you
lose.

Three times, you're out.

Mae West

Stocking up. Dimitri General Cooking 9 04-08-2014 07:23 PM
Please Donate and Help Provide Food, Clothing, Shelter, Books and Reginald Alston General Cooking 0 16-07-2012 02:37 AM
In the toe of the stocking Felice General Cooking 68 03-01-2010 09:10 PM
Stocking Stuffers? Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 30 23-11-2008 11:29 AM