FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pizza Dough No.3 (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/169829-pizza-dough-no-3-a.html)

Piedmont[_5_] 21-03-2009 12:44 AM

Pizza Dough No.3

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/46/28295

OK, It's Friday night and I'm stuffed with pizza, (sound of pants button
coming unbuttoned). I tried the pizza dough from the link above, followed it
exactly. I have to say i have learned alot. This dough was soft, loose and
sticky but it came out of the oven airy, light on the inside and a crunch on
the bottom. Not perfect but I was really impressed. I backed off the
temperature of the oven going with 450F. Plus had a cookie sheet between the
stone and the element. Rack was in the oven middle. Next time I will have
the stone as low as it will go and use a temp of 500F. Plus let the stone
heat soak for 20 minutes. My crust on the bottom was very lightly browned
and I think by doing the above it will focus the heat on the crust, As I had
to pulled the pie out before the cheese got too brown, the top cheese was
perfect. But I think by having the pie on the middle rack the top heated too
fast. Next Friday I'll do the new changes!
Regards,
Piedmont

Janet Bostwick[_2_] 21-03-2009 01:00 AM

Pizza Dough No.3

"Piedmont" > wrote in message
> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/46/28295
>
> OK, It's Friday night and I'm stuffed with pizza, (sound of pants button
> coming unbuttoned). I tried the pizza dough from the link above, followed
> it exactly. I have to say i have learned alot. This dough was soft, loose
> and sticky but it came out of the oven airy, light on the inside and a
> crunch on the bottom. Not perfect but I was really impressed. I backed off
> the temperature of the oven going with 450F. Plus had a cookie sheet
> between the stone and the element. Rack was in the oven middle. Next time
> I will have the stone as low as it will go and use a temp of 500F. Plus
> let the stone heat soak for 20 minutes. My crust on the bottom was very
> lightly browned and I think by doing the above it will focus the heat on
> the crust, As I had to pulled the pie out before the cheese got too brown,
> the top cheese was perfect. But I think by having the pie on the middle
> rack the top heated too fast. Next Friday I'll do the new changes!
> Regards,
> Piedmont

Great to hear of your progress! I think pizza is a challenge to get right.
Generally, it's recommended to heat the stone for 30-45 minutes. 20 minutes
really only preheats the oven interior but not the body of the oven or the
stone. I made two pizza the other night and didn't let my stone reheat
between pies and the crust really suffered for it. You are planning on
making 2 changes next time around that could really make a difference with
your crust -- maybe good and maybe bad. If your heat coils are on the
bottom of the oven, you are thinking correctly that you'll get more heat
underneath by lowering your rack. But you're also thinking of raising the
oven temp. Be careful, it may be too much of a good thing, you don't want
your crust to burn on the bottom. Can't wait to hear how it goes next week.
Janet

Piedmont[_5_] 21-03-2009 01:04 AM

Pizza Dough No.3

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...

> "Piedmont" > wrote in message
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/46/28295
>>
>> OK, It's Friday night and I'm stuffed with pizza, (sound of pants button
>> coming unbuttoned). I tried the pizza dough from the link above, followed

SNIP
>> rack the top heated too fast. Next Friday I'll do the new changes!
>> Regards,
>> Piedmont

> Great to hear of your progress! I think pizza is a challenge to get
> right. Generally, it's recommended to heat the stone for 30-45 minutes.
> 20 minutes really only preheats the oven interior but not the body of the
> oven or the stone. I made two pizza the other night and didn't let my
> stone reheat between pies and the crust really suffered for it. You are
> planning on making 2 changes next time around that could really make a
> difference with your crust -- maybe good and maybe bad. If your heat
> coils are on the bottom of the oven, you are thinking correctly that
> you'll get more heat underneath by lowering your rack. But you're also
> thinking of raising the oven temp. Be careful, it may be too much of a
> good thing, you don't want your crust to burn on the bottom. Can't wait
> to hear how it goes next week.
> Janet

Thanks for the oven/stone tip! I'll incorporate that next week and only make
one change of placing stone on lowest rack setting.
Regards, Piedmont