Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

FERRANTE, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
> sauce?
>
> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?
>
> Mark

Maranira is a tomato based sauce that can be put on pasta or can be
used in a number of different ways. It's just blanched, peeled, diced
tomatoes, sauteed onions in olive oil, salt, pepper (red or black or
both), and your basic Italian herbs (thyme, oregano, and basil).
Simmer it and maybe thicken it with some tomato paste. Parmesan cheese
is an excellent accompaniment. There is no meat in marinera sauce.

"Pasta sauce" is a generic term. It can be anything from butter or
olive oil to pesto or marinara or meat sauce.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>sauce?
>
>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Harry's Tomato Sauce

Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :2:15
Categories : Sauces/Gravies

1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)
28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced

1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
processor until emulsified.

2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash
them. Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be
quite thick & look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When
it starts to bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about
90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into
a sauce.

3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir
in the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings
and remove from heat.

4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

Cuisine:
"Italian"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; 6g Fat (64.7%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 29mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 1
Fat.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
> sauce?
>
> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?
>
> Mark

there is no definition for what you're calling "basic pasta sauce"
What is basic to you, might not be to someone else. It might not even
contain tomato, but a marinara sauce does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Harry's Tomato Sauce
>
> Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
> Categories : Sauces/Gravies

> 1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
> 1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
> 1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)
> 28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
> 1 cup dry red wine
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>
> 1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
> processor until emulsified.
>
> 2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash
> them. Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be
> quite thick & look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When
> it starts to bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about
> 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into
> a sauce.
>
> 3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir
> in the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings
> and remove from heat.
>
> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

Thanks for that one, Carol.

How are you and Crash doing?

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
> sauce?

Marinara sauce contains no meat... if used on a dish containing meat then it
is no longer marinara sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> FERRANTE wrote:
>> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>> sauce?
>>
>> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?
>>
>> Mark

> there is no definition for what you're calling "basic pasta sauce"
> What is basic to you, might not be to someone else. It might not even
> contain tomato, but a marinara sauce does.

Are you positive you're Italian?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-marinara-sauce.htm
"Marinara sauce originated with sailors in Naples in the 16th century, after
the Spaniards introduced the tomato to their neighboring countries. The word
marinara is derived from marinaro, which is Italian for "of the sea."
Because of this, many people mistakenly believe marinara sauce includes some
type of fish or seafood. However, marinara sauce loosely translates as "the
sauce of the sailors," because it was a meatless sauce extensively used on
sailing ships before modern refrigeration techniques were invented. The lack
of meat and the sheer simplicity of making tasty marinara sauce were
particularly appealing to the cooks on board sailing ships, because the high
acid content of the tomatoes and the absence of any type of meat fat
resulted in a sauce which would not easily spoil."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>sauce?
>>
>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Harry's Tomato Sauce
>
> Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
> Categories : Sauces/Gravies

> 1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
> 1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
> 1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)
> 28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
> 1 cup dry red wine
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>
> 1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
> processor until emulsified.
>
> 2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash
> them. Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be
> quite thick & look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When
> it starts to bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about
> 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into
> a sauce.
>
> 3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir
> in the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings
> and remove from heat.
>
> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

I mince the onions, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté that a bit until the
celery and onion are soft. That softens the onion taste, and the garlic is a
bit less harsh. Then I add any seasoning and proceed pretty much as above.
Also, if you want a sauce that's a bit more delicate, try white wine instead
of red wine. An inexpensive vermouth works great. That hint came from the
goddess of Italian cooking, Marcella Hazan.

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
>better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
>Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
>pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
>favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.

>I think I will try the Harry's Tomato Sauce recipe that was included
>in this thread.

You won't be sorry you did. It is wonderful stuff!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)

I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
Am I not remembering correctly?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:41:23 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:

>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
.. .
>> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>> sauce?
>>

>Marinara sauce contains no meat... if used on a dish containing meat then it
>is no longer marinara sauce.

While I love to add all kinds of things to jarred pasta sauce, every
once in a while I just want pasta and a basic tomato sauce and someone
suggested using marinara instead.

I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

I think I will try the Harry's Tomato Sauce recipe that was included
in this thread.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>sauce?
>>
>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

>Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
>of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.

Thanks!

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:41:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)

>I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
>Am I not remembering correctly?

I adore fennel seeds. I always have both whole and ground fennel
seeds on hand. Must be someone else.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:41:29 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
> >
> >> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)

> >I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
> >Am I not remembering correctly?

> I adore fennel seeds. I always have both whole and ground fennel
> seeds on hand. Must be someone else.

I thought we used to have somebody on rfc who didn't like fennel, but we
all got together and drummed them out of here.

:-)

Just kidding, of course. My father used to keep a pepper grinder on the
table in the kitchen, loaded with fennel seeds. He'd add a couple of
grinds to all sorts of food.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:
>
>>I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
>>better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
>>Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
>>pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
>>favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

>I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
>spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
>canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.

Have you ever tried Classico? I haven't tried the pasta sauce, but I
use their tomato "pesto" as pizza sauce and it's very good.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote:

> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
> sauce?

None, as neither exists, in true culinary terms.

There is an endless variety of sauces, regional or seasonal, served with
pasta, many of them simple or basic enough.

As to the "marinara sauce," there is no such thing as "salsa marinara"
in Italy. It is a peculiarly American phenomenon derived directly from
the topping of pizza marinara, namely tomatoes, oregano and garlic
(needless to say, the topping is not a sauce). In Italy, there are
numerous unrelated "alla marinara" preparations - not always, or even
frequently - sauces, many of them involving some kind of fish, seafood,
or fish broth or stock, and often some tomato sauce and herbs. You will
have trouble finding any "salsa marinara" recipes in any cookbooks
written by Italians for Italians in Italian. If you do a Web search for
occurrences of "salsa marinara" in Italian language on ".it" or other
Italian Web sites, you will find preciously few, like maybe a dozen or
so, and some will mention fish stock in the context.

For example, Il Ricettario (The Recipe Book) compiled by the Accademia
Italiana della Cucina and containing 2,000 recipes lists three "alla
marinara" recipes: Risotta alla marinara (Sicilia) with assorted
seafood, tomato sauce and cheese among other ingredients; Tonno alla
marinara (Sicilia) with tunny fish and no pasta involved; and Guazzetto
alla marinara (Abruzzo) with assorted fish and no pasta involved. You
can look it up at
<http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/inglese/indricette.html>.

In Italy, concoctions which may resemble the American "marinara" are
called "al pomodoro" or "alla pomarola", or, in and around Naples, "alla
pummarola" or specifically "vermicielli co le pommadoro" in the local
dialect.

Here is a simple preparation popular in the Po Valley, with the sauce
prepared with butter, not oil. The recipe is adapted from _Aus Italiens
Küchen_ by Marianne Kaltenbach and Virginia Cerabolini (who is from
Pavia).

Pasta (for example penne or rigatoni) al pomodoro col burro
serves 4

100 g (3,5 oz) butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tin/can (800 g; 28 oz) peeled pelati (peeled Italian tomatoes)
salt
500 g (17.5 oz) pasta (rigatoni or penne)
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Melt half of the butter in a saucepan over heat. Remove from heat, add
the onions and the bay leaves and mix well. Add the tomatoes and reduce
a bit over high heat. Put the rest of the butter in a deep, pre-warmed
bowl and add the pasta, which have been meanwhile cooked al dente and
drained. Add half of the sauce and half of the cheese and mix well.
Put the rest of the sauce on top. Put the rest of the cheese and the
pepper mill on the table for people to serve themselves.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:
>>
>>>I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
>>>better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
>>>Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
>>>pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
>>>favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

>>I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
>>spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
>>canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.
>>

> Have you ever tried Classico? I haven't tried the pasta sauce, but I
> use their tomato "pesto" as pizza sauce and it's very good.

I like the Paul Newman sauces. The tomato and basil sauce is very tasty.
And the proceeds go to charity.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>sauce?
>>
>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Harry's Tomato Sauce

<snip recipe>

> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

so this will keep o.k. in the refrigerator? the commercial stuff says use
within a week after opening, i think.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:28:57 -0700, Theron wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>>sauce?
>>>
>>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

>> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
>> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Harry's Tomato Sauce

<recipe snipped>

> I mince the onions, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté that a bit until the
> celery and onion are soft. That softens the onion taste, and the garlic is a
> bit less harsh. Then I add any seasoning and proceed pretty much as above.
> Also, if you want a sauce that's a bit more delicate, try white wine instead
> of red wine. An inexpensive vermouth works great. That hint came from the
> goddess of Italian cooking, Marcella Hazan.
>
> Ed

thanks for the tips, ed, especially about the wine. martini & rossi i have
on hand, red wine would be a special purchase.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:08:51 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:41:29 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)

>>I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
>>Am I not remembering correctly?

> I adore fennel seeds. I always have both whole and ground fennel
> seeds on hand. Must be someone else.
>
> Carol

sounds like a detective movie: 'we know this woman is an imposter because
fennel seeds always got in the *real* damsel's teeth! take her away,
boys!'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:15:48 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:41:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
>>>Am I not remembering correctly?

>> I adore fennel seeds. I always have both whole and ground fennel
>> seeds on hand. Must be someone else.

> I thought we used to have somebody on rfc who didn't like fennel, but we
> all got together and drummed them out of here.
>
> :-)
>
> Just kidding, of course.

TINFC.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>> sauce?
>>>
>>> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

>> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
>> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Harry's Tomato Sauce

> <snip recipe>
>> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
>> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.
>>

> so this will keep o.k. in the refrigerator? the commercial stuff says use
> within a week after opening, i think.

Blake,

I keep it longer than that. Just had some last night that has been in
the fridge for a couple of weeks. It was fine. Classico® tomato basil

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600:

> Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit
> of "herbing up" imho. My favorite stand alone marinara sauce
> tho' is Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and
> imho it really is quite good and needs no help.

> Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with
> onions in the pan with olive oil until they begin to get
> clear, add pressed garlic and fresh or dried "italian" herbs
> (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican oregano, black pepper and
> some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I may also brown
> some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as the
> base.

I think I may have mentioned that Contadina used to make a basic pizza
sauce in a squeeze bottle. Not great but useful in a hurry with
store-bought pizza bases but I have not seen it in months.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
>less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
>garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
>and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
>all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.
>
>The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.

Right now, I don't know what I plant... but oregano has never grown
into a real bush for me. If it did, I might even use more fresh. As
it is now, the stakes always seem to disappear on me and I forget
which low plant is which. Marjoram, thyme, oregano? Which one is it?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:39:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> wrote:
>>
>>>I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
>>>better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
>>>Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
>>>pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
>>>favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

>>I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
>>spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
>>canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.
>>

>Have you ever tried Classico? I haven't tried the pasta sauce, but I
>use their tomato "pesto" as pizza sauce and it's very good.

Yup, we've used Classico. As I recall, we enjoyed it.

What the heck is tomato pesto? I've never seen it, but I don't have a
half hour to spend looking at all 857 types of sauce that are
available these days.

Shopping was so much simpler in the '60s.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:21:05 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>>sauce?
>>>
>>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

>> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
>> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Harry's Tomato Sauce

> <snip recipe>
>>
>> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
>> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.
>>

>so this will keep o.k. in the refrigerator? the commercial stuff says use
>within a week after opening, i think.

Dunno. That was just part of Harry's recipe. Not sure of the reason
for 28 ounce jars, either.

We scarf it down pretty fast. Any leftovers go in the freezer.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:29:32 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:28:57 -0700, Theron wrote:
>
>> I mince the onions, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté that a bit until the
>> celery and onion are soft. That softens the onion taste, and the garlic is a
>> bit less harsh. Then I add any seasoning and proceed pretty much as above.
>> Also, if you want a sauce that's a bit more delicate, try white wine instead
>> of red wine. An inexpensive vermouth works great. That hint came from the
>> goddess of Italian cooking, Marcella Hazan.
>>
>> Ed

>thanks for the tips, ed, especially about the wine. martini & rossi i have
>on hand, red wine would be a special purchase.

I buy those four-packs of tiny (187 ml) bottles of red wine for
cooking. I use vermouth instead of white wine.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:33:04 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:08:51 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:41:29 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>I thought you didn't like Italian sausage because of the fennel seeds.
>>>Am I not remembering correctly?

>> I adore fennel seeds. I always have both whole and ground fennel
>> seeds on hand. Must be someone else.
>>
>> Carol

>sounds like a detective movie: 'we know this woman is an imposter because
>fennel seeds always got in the *real* damsel's teeth! take her away,
>boys!'

Yeppers, they're lodged in there, along with the dill, anise, and
caraway seeds. I'm hoping they'll sprout if I go outside and smile,
so I can grow my own plants.

Carol, a really seedy character

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit of
>"herbing up" imho.

I add red wine and basil, sometimes Worcestershire sauce, and
sometimes fennel.

>My favorite stand alone marinara sauce tho' is
>Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and imho it really is
>quite good and needs no help.

I'll watch for it. There are so many days that we're hungry, but
neither of us has any energy for cooking from scratch.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:02:44 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>What the heck is tomato pesto? I've never seen it, but I don't have a
>half hour to spend looking at all 857 types of sauce that are
>available these days.

Here ya go!
http://www.classico.com/flavors/prod...ls.aspx?pid=35 I keep
both regular and tomato pesto on hand when I'm in a pizza making mood.

>Shopping was so much simpler in the '60s.

Sure was. Especially when my mother did most of the shopping and paid
for it too. LOL!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:19:55 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>The oregano that grew into a bush for me is an unusual plant. Mexican
>oregano:
>
>http://i24.tinypic.com/24feg44.jpg
>
>There seems to be a discrepancy when I did a search for Mexican Oregano.
>While it was sold to me as such, it might be Mexican sage.
>
>To me, the flavor and scent is similar to Marjoram and the leaves are so
>tiny, they don't need mincing.
>
>I do know it's delicious. :-d

You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it! Mexican
sage is salvia and the leaves are pretty big, so there's no question
it's salvia.
http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/gra...canSage1hr.jpg

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
> >I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
> >better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
> >Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
> >pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
> >favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

> I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
> spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
> canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.
>
> >I think I will try the Harry's Tomato Sauce recipe that was included
> >in this thread.

> You won't be sorry you did. It is wonderful stuff!
>
> Carol

Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit of
"herbing up" imho. My favorite stand alone marinara sauce tho' is
Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and imho it really is
quite good and needs no help.

Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with onions in
the pan with olive oil until they begin to get clear, add pressed garlic
and fresh or dried "italian" herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican
oregano, black pepper and some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I
may also brown some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as
the base.

I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.

The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Italy the only Marinara I know include this ingredients: tomatoes,
anchovies, capers, garlic and oregano. Nothing else, apart some hot chili
pepper if you desire.

--
Cheers
Pandora

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>sauce?
>>
>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Harry's Tomato Sauce
>
> Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
> Categories : Sauces/Gravies

> 1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
> 1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
> 1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)
> 28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
> 1 cup dry red wine
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>
> 1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
> processor until emulsified.
>
> 2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash
> them. Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be
> quite thick & look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When
> it starts to bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about
> 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into
> a sauce.
>
> 3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir
> in the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings
> and remove from heat.
>
> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.
>
> Cuisine:
> "Italian"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 90 Calories; 6g Fat (64.7%
> calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
> Cholesterol; 29mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 1
> Fat.
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600:
>

> > Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit
> > of "herbing up" imho. My favorite stand alone marinara sauce
> > tho' is Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and
> > imho it really is quite good and needs no help.

> > Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with
> > onions in the pan with olive oil until they begin to get
> > clear, add pressed garlic and fresh or dried "italian" herbs
> > (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican oregano, black pepper and
> > some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I may also brown
> > some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as the
> > base.

> I think I may have mentioned that Contadina used to make a basic pizza
> sauce in a squeeze bottle. Not great but useful in a hurry with
> store-bought pizza bases but I have not seen it in months.

<laughs> Sounds like fun, but I'd have to taste it to see first!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
> >less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
> >garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
> >and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
> >all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.
> >
> >The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.

> Right now, I don't know what I plant... but oregano has never grown
> into a real bush for me. If it did, I might even use more fresh. As
> it is now, the stakes always seem to disappear on me and I forget
> which low plant is which. Marjoram, thyme, oregano? Which one is it?

Thyme and oregano are both low growing "ground cover" type plants. I've
not grown marjoram, just used dried, so I'm not sure about that one.

The oregano that grew into a bush for me is an unusual plant. Mexican
oregano:

http://i24.tinypic.com/24feg44.jpg

There seems to be a discrepancy when I did a search for Mexican Oregano.
While it was sold to me as such, it might be Mexican sage.

To me, the flavor and scent is similar to Marjoram and the leaves are so
tiny, they don't need mincing.

I do know it's delicious. :-d
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:44:11 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it!

>Ps, here is a closeup:
>
>http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg

Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...

Mine all look pretty similar and I can't remember which is which w/o a
label.

oregano
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...o-close-up.jpg
thyme
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Pur...907864_295.jpg
marjoram
http://z.about.com/d/herbgardens/1/G...IMG_1606-1.JPG

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit of
> >"herbing up" imho.

> I add red wine and basil, sometimes Worcestershire sauce, and
> sometimes fennel.

Sounds good! I generally add McCormicks Italian herbs and a little extra
garlic. The Italian sausage I often use has plenty of fennel. :-d

> >My favorite stand alone marinara sauce tho' is
> >Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and imho it really is
> >quite good and needs no help.

> I'll watch for it. There are so many days that we're hungry, but
> neither of us has any energy for cooking from scratch.
>
> Carol

Mm, I promise you won't be disappointed! If you are, I'll pay for it. :-)
IMHO it has a "come hither" flavor...

I know the feeling of not wanting to cook sometimes. That's when Omelets
come in handy. They are so fast with little cleanup!

And great for using up leftovers, plus I can nearly always get dad to
eat anything mixed with eggs. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:19:55 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >The oregano that grew into a bush for me is an unusual plant. Mexican
> >oregano:
> >
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/24feg44.jpg
> >
> >There seems to be a discrepancy when I did a search for Mexican Oregano.
> >While it was sold to me as such, it might be Mexican sage.
> >
> >To me, the flavor and scent is similar to Marjoram and the leaves are so
> >tiny, they don't need mincing.
> >
> >I do know it's delicious. :-d

> You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it! Mexican
> sage is salvia and the leaves are pretty big, so there's no question
> it's salvia.
> http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/gra...canSage1hr.jpg

Yeah, my leaves don't look like that at all! That's why I posted a pic.

The low growing oregano I've grown in the past tho' has a LOT larger
leaves than this plant, and it's flat to the ground. As you can see,
this plant is a bush and the leaves are delightfully tiny. I can strip
a twig and use them as is.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it!

Ps, here is a closeup:

http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE > wrote in
:

> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

Marinara is not so much a sauce as it is a concept. I make this very simple
one, and it is delicious.

1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste

Use a blunt object to crush the tomato cubes. Combine in a saucepan and
simmer until most of the liquid is cooked out. Use it liberally on your
favorite pasta, topped with Parmesan cheese.

As it's name implies, marinara is based on the simple sauce Roman fishermen
used on their pasta after a hard day pulling up the nets. Very quick and
easy, it can be cooked nearly as fast as the pasta. We can assume they
added some of the day's catch, so any kind of meat you want to add is fine.
I like some canned tuna in mine. Some might find that odd, but it's
delicious.

Many of us who are older know of the horrible heartburn and acid reflux
that long simmered tomato based sauces can induce. I am happy to say that
marinara has no such result. It is the long cooking of the tomato that
converts it into a powerful acid. Tomatoes are not acidic by nature.