Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:44:11 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it!

> >Ps, here is a closeup:
> >
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg

> Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...
>
> Mine all look pretty similar and I can't remember which is which w/o a
> label.
>
> oregano
> http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...kphoto_888982-
> oregano-close-up.jpg
> thyme
> http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Pur...907864_295.jpg
> marjoram
> http://z.about.com/d/herbgardens/1/G...IMG_1606-1.JPG

Nice pics. :-) The Oregano I used to have had much larger leaves, and
did not grow into a bush like this one does. I was not sorry to see it
die out as I did not really like it.

I just recently had a stone skirting put up around the outside of my
house to finally control, once and for freakin' all, the Norway rat
issue. It was worth the 6K I cashed in to do it.

But, I lost all my herbs except for the M. oregano and some Dittany of
crete that I'll re-plant. It got potted. They had to put in a footing
connected to my original foundation to support the weight. I'll
eventually have the entire house rocked faced with limestone.

I'll hit Gardenville nursery here shortly, but I'm also planning on
raising that herb bed now that I can do that with the rock facing.
It'll save me on water...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I found a very good ready-made sauce in Barillo Tomato and Basil. It
was judged best by America's Test Kitchen, and happened to be on special
the very next week at my neighborhood Publix.

Usually I make my own with a simple crushed tomato, garlic, evoo, basil,
white wine and a pat of butter at the end.

I don't care for oregano at all, so I enjoyed the jarred Barillo sauce.
Half a jar is fine for 2 old fogies!

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om suggested I try marjoram instead of oregano in marinara sauce.

Thanks Om. I bought some marjoram a year or two ago, and forgot why I
bought it. It smells good on its own, but I'm not sure I've used it in
a dish. I was thinking it was a substitute for something else.

I'll try it!

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:10:46 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:29:32 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:28:57 -0700, Theron wrote:
>>
>>> I mince the onions, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté that a bit until the
>>> celery and onion are soft. That softens the onion taste, and the garlic is a
>>> bit less harsh. Then I add any seasoning and proceed pretty much as above.
>>> Also, if you want a sauce that's a bit more delicate, try white wine instead
>>> of red wine. An inexpensive vermouth works great. That hint came from the
>>> goddess of Italian cooking, Marcella Hazan.
>>>
>>> Ed

>>thanks for the tips, ed, especially about the wine. martini & rossi i have
>>on hand, red wine would be a special purchase.

> I buy those four-packs of tiny (187 ml) bottles of red wine for
> cooking. I use vermouth instead of white wine.
>
> Carol

i keep a half and eye on those at the package store, but haven't yet taken
the plunge.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:07:02 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:21:05 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:45:04 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE

>>> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
>>> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Harry's Tomato Sauce

>> <snip recipe>
>>>
>>> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
>>> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.
>>>

>>so this will keep o.k. in the refrigerator? the commercial stuff says use
>>within a week after opening, i think.

> Dunno. That was just part of Harry's recipe. Not sure of the reason
> for 28 ounce jars, either.
>
> We scarf it down pretty fast. Any leftovers go in the freezer.
>
> Carol

i'm trying to use my freezer more (just a side-by-side on the
refrigerator), but it's getting pretty crowded in there.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with onions in
> the pan with olive oil until they begin to get clear, add pressed garlic
> and fresh or dried "italian" herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican
> oregano, black pepper and some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I
> may also brown some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as
> the base.
>
> I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
> less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
> garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
> and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
> all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.
>
> The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.

i've been wondering about the use of mexican oregano where 'regular' is
called for. right now, i have neither, but i make chili (where some
recipes call for it) more often than anything italian.

any comments?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:44:11 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> You probably have oregano, not sage. I need to look for it!

>>Ps, here is a closeup:
>>
>>http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg

> Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...

they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:10:46 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> > I buy those four-packs of tiny (187 ml) bottles of red wine for
> > cooking. I use vermouth instead of white wine.

> i keep a half and eye on those at the package store, but haven't yet taken
> the plunge.

My experience on the other coast of the US, is that the wine I've seen
is fairly expensive for what is cheap wine. If you really need red
wine, and neither you nor anybody else will drink it, then that's the
way to go.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with onions in
> > the pan with olive oil until they begin to get clear, add pressed garlic
> > and fresh or dried "italian" herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican
> > oregano, black pepper and some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I
> > may also brown some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as
> > the base.
> >
> > I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
> > less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
> > garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
> > and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
> > all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.
> >
> > The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.

> i've been wondering about the use of mexican oregano where 'regular' is
> called for. right now, i have neither, but i make chili (where some
> recipes call for it) more often than anything italian.
>
> any comments?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Well, it IS a bit milder.

Personally, I prefer it...
It has less of a "soapy" fragrance and flavor.
It's a bit sweeter imho.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:44:11 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> >>Ps, here is a closeup:
> >>
> >>http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg

> > Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...
> >

> they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm glad you liked the pic. <g> I can generally do better than that,
depending on the time of day. The best time (for me) to take flower pics
is dawn and that one was taken later in the morning.

Here is a good example of one I took of honeysuckle. I sometimes post
to one of the gardening binaries list and this one went there. IMHO it's
a bit more dramatic. :-)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2v2iko3.jpg
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:58:15 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:44:11 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>>>Ps, here is a closeup:
>>>
>>>http://i23.tinypic.com/nytw8h.jpg

>> Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...
>>

>they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.

They remind me of orchids - tiny orchids.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:09:49 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0700, sf wrote:

>> > Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...
>> >

>> they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I'm glad you liked the pic. <g> I can generally do better than that,
>depending on the time of day. The best time (for me) to take flower pics
>is dawn and that one was taken later in the morning.
>
>Here is a good example of one I took of honeysuckle. I sometimes post
>to one of the gardening binaries list and this one went there. IMHO it's
>a bit more dramatic. :-)
>
>http://i42.tinypic.com/2v2iko3.jpg

White honeysuckle? I've only seen yellow!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:58:15 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0700, sf wrote:

> >> Pretty flowers and the leaves are long & skinny...
> >>

> >they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.
> >

> They remind me of orchids - tiny orchids.

Thanks Barb. :-) It really is a pretty landscaping plant and provides a
LOT of yummy leaves for cooking.

I also love the fact that it pretty much blooms most of the year. It's
fixin' to bloom here shortly and I'll have blooms on and off thru the
early fall.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:09:49 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> they are, and i'm not usually moved to comment about flowers.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> >I'm glad you liked the pic. <g> I can generally do better than that,
> >depending on the time of day. The best time (for me) to take flower pics
> >is dawn and that one was taken later in the morning.
> >
> >Here is a good example of one I took of honeysuckle. I sometimes post
> >to one of the gardening binaries list and this one went there. IMHO it's
> >a bit more dramatic. :-)
> >
> >http://i42.tinypic.com/2v2iko3.jpg

> White honeysuckle? I've only seen yellow!

They start out pure white, then turn orange as they age.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:16:39 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:10:46 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> I buy those four-packs of tiny (187 ml) bottles of red wine for
>>> cooking. I use vermouth instead of white wine.

>> i keep a half and eye on those at the package store, but haven't yet taken
>> the plunge.

> My experience on the other coast of the US, is that the wine I've seen
> is fairly expensive for what is cheap wine. If you really need red
> wine, and neither you nor anybody else will drink it, then that's the
> way to go.

it will have to be for some dish i *really* want to make, and i have some
others that don't require red wine in that queue already.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:35:15 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
>canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.

Funny you mention Hunts. Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and
bought two cans of Hunt's Spicy and Zesty Spaghetti sauce ($1.10) and
it was FABULOUS!!!!! Very spicy and good heat, not enough to burn your
mouth, but it leaves a "spicy heat" in your mouth. This has become a
definite favorite of mine now.

Btw, to the Hunt's Z&S, I added mushrooms, hamburger, additional
squirts of EV olive oil, and some chopped green olives and pimento.
After I plated it, I added some Flur de Sel (finishing) salt I got
from Pensky's. The dinner was so good and I am having more tonight.
Also, I put some Flur de Sel atop some warm buttered French Bread. The
salt on the buttered bread was really good.

Lastly, I try to share all my food with friends when they are over,
but when eating, I keep the Flur de Sel near me and they have to use
the Morton Light Salt. At almost $9 for a half cup, I am not to
anxious to share it, especially to those who are not a salt nut as I
am.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I like the Paul Newman sauces. The tomato and basil sauce is very tasty.
>And the proceeds go to charity.
>
>Jill

I also love PN sauces. I like his "Sockaroni" sauce.

Another sauce I like, from different companies, is Vodka Sauce. Funny,
many of my buddies don't care for it. I love it. Sometimes, I will mix
it with another tomato based sauce and that usually turns out great.

With Vodka sauce, I like Ziti, Penne, or Rigatoni. You?

Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

>Marinara is not so much a sauce as it is a concept. I make this very simple
>one, and it is delicious.
>
>1 can diced tomatoes
>1 tablespoon olive oil
>3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
>Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste
>
>Use a blunt object to crush the tomato cubes. Combine in a saucepan and
>simmer until most of the liquid is cooked out. Use it liberally on your
>favorite pasta, topped with Parmesan cheese.

Thanks for the recipe and the history of the sauce. I am going to try
the recipe out!

Btw, people, check out Bertolli's new website. Whether or not you
believe in store bought or homemade, there are some interesting
recipes and check out the new selection of products, either in jars,
frozen, or refrigerated sections of your grocery store. You will be
hungry after visiting the site:

http://www.bertolli.us/

Mark