mgeost

Default cleaning crystal

Folks, way off topic, I know.

Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
diswasher whilst cleaning up.)

My thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers and I'll go 4 no-trump.
Dave Smith

mgeost wrote:

> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)

My mother in law used to clean her Waterford crystal glasses in er
dishwasher. They ended up very cruddy looking, full of very fine pits. My
mother always washed hers by hand. She used to keep her orange juice in a
Waterford crystal pitcher. One day she was doing some dishes by hand,
polished off the bit of juice that was left in it and immersed it in hot
soapy water. The pitcher broke half.

Puester

mgeost wrote:

> Folks, way off topic, I know.
>
> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)

I have heard that denture cleaner tablets do a nice job
on glassware.

If she has washed it in the dishwasher there's a very good
posibility that the detergent has etched the haze on
permanently. Sorry!

gloria p
Puester

Dave Smith wrote:

> mgeost wrote:
>

> > Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> > hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> > think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> > diswasher whilst cleaning up.)
> >

> My mother in law used to clean her Waterford crystal glasses in er
> dishwasher. They ended up very cruddy looking, full of very fine pits. My
> mother always washed hers by hand. She used to keep her orange juice in a
> Waterford crystal pitcher. One day she was doing some dishes by hand,
> polished off the bit of juice that was left in it and immersed it in hot
> soapy water. The pitcher broke half.

I had the exact same thing happen with my MIL's antique
cut crystal punch bowl--right in half. Luckily she took
it well.

gloria p
Dimitri

"mgeost" > wrote in message
om...
> Folks, way off topic, I know.
>
> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)
>
> My thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Cheers and I'll go 4 no-trump.

Here is what waterford says.

The 3rd from the last sentance says to try a denture cleaning tablet.

What have you got to lose?

Dimitri

Crystal
Because fine crystal and glassware require the gentlest of care to maintain
their brilliance and integrity for years to come, we strongly recommend the
following:

Wash your fine crystal and glassware by hand in moderately hot water with a
mild lemon detergent and 1/4 cup ammonia (to prevent spotting). Rinse in
clean water and air dry on a rack. Cleaning the crystal in an automatic
dishwasher may cause the crystal to lose brilliance; we recommend you avoid
this. However, if the fine crystal and glassware must be machine washed,
please follow these precautions:

Do not machine wash metal-accented crystal.
Use your dishwasher's "fine crystal and china" setting
Because even the mildest brands of automatic dishwashing detergent are
abrasive, use only half the recommended amount.
Lower the top dishwasher rack, if possible, to accommodate the height of
your crystal, paying special attention to your stemware.
Make certain to space your crystal stemware on the rack so the pieces do not
touch one another, since vibration during the washing and rinsing cycles can
chip or crack the crystal.
For dishwashers without a "fine crystal and china" setting, turn on the
"air-dry only" cycle and open the door to allow your crystal to air dry.
Remember that fine crystal and glassware can crack or break when subjected
to extremes of hot and cold. Before putting very warm food or liquid into a
crystal container, we recommend you preheat the crystal with moderately hot
tap water. Do not pour cold beverages into a pitcher or bowl that's just
been washed with hot water. Likewise, do not wash a crystal piece that's
just come out of the refrigerator; allow it to warm to room temperature
first.

Clean vases and decanters by filling them half-full with moderately hot
water, a small amount of mild detergent, two tablespoons of white vinegar or
ammonia and ½ cup uncooked rice. Swirl the rice around for a few minutes to
remove residue. Rinse well with moderately hot water and air dry, upside
down, on a rack.

Remove more stubborn stains by filling the container with warm water and
dropping in a denture-cleaning tablet; let it sit until the stain
disappears.

Do not clean your fine crystal and glassware with scouring pads or abrasive
cleaners.

Always store your stemware upright to help prevent chipping.

Arri London

mgeost wrote:

> Folks, way off topic, I know.
>
> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)
>
> My thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Cheers and I'll go 4 no-trump.

Someone put Waterford crystal into a dishwasher? Not heard that that
sort of damage can be repaired other than by repolishing.
Edwin Pawlowski

"mgeost" > wrote in message
> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)

If you are lucky, it is just a build up from hard water and detergent. It
may have ruined the crystal completely by reacting with the lead though.

First thing I'd try is cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and a clean soft
cloth. That is how I've bee taught to clean crystal. Wash with plain
water, spray with alcohol and polish it dry.

There are polishes for glass and crystal, but I've never used them so I
don't know if there is a special technique for it so as not to damage
further.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

limey

"mgeost" > wrote in message
om...
> Folks, way off topic, I know.
>
> Some of my mother's old crystal (waterford) has taken on an obnoxious
> hase. Does anyone have a trick to take the haze off crystal? (I
> think in her recent Bridge Club days, she's taken to putting it in the
> diswasher whilst cleaning up.)
>
> My thanks in advance for your help.

I took this off the Waterford site. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do
to restore the clarity.

Dora

Caring for your Crystal

Rinse with clean warm water and dry and polish with a non-fluffy
and lint-free cloth to keep your Waterford Crystal at its sparkling best.
The finely made rims are the most fragile part of a glass. Never place
upside down on a draining board, or when storing. The careless knocking
of the rims together can cause cracks. When washing or drying, do not
wipe the bowl while twisting the stem in the opposite direction. This
could cause damage to the stem.

It is not recommended that fine crystal, particularly gold or platinum
accented crystal, be washed in a dishwasher, as the combination
of strong detergents and excessive heat could permanently etch the
surface of the crystal, leaving a grey film.

(taken from the Waterford-Wedgwood website,
http://www.waterfordwedgwood.com).