Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmon patty suggestions?

I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK > wrote:

> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother
> did - canned salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form
> patties and fry. Pretty good but I'm getting a bit tired of
> them. Can someone suggest an addition or ingredient change to
> brighten them up a little?

Finely diced green bell pepper (perhaps lightly pre-sauteed);
seasonings such as Bay Seasoning.

And here's a trick, the results of which you may or may not
like: put a capful of lemon extract into the mixture.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:05:55a, KenK told us...

> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

My mom always added a bit of fresh lemon juice and finely chopped scallions
to the salmon mix. The patties were always served with a white sauce that
contained finely diced cucumber and dill weed.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 9:05*am, KenK > wrote:
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

Melt a little butter, cook some minced shallots or minced red onion
for a couple of minutes, adding a bit of dill after the first minute.
Stir that in with the salmon, egg and crumbs. Add a few drops of a
good hot Louisiana red hot sauce. Chill patties in fridge for a while
to help them resist breaking apart. Fry the patties in the same pan
you cooked the shallots in. Serve with lemon wedges. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:05:55a, KenK told us...
>
>> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
>> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
>> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>>

> My mom always added a bit of fresh lemon juice and finely chopped
> scallions
> to the salmon mix. The patties were always served with a white sauce that
> contained finely diced cucumber and dill weed.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 10:44*am, "Donna Rzesiewicz" > wrote:
> do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
> 5.247...
>

> > On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:05:55a, KenK told us...

> >> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> >> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> >> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> >> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

> >> TIA

> >> Ken

> > My mom always added a bit of fresh lemon juice and finely chopped
> > scallions
> > to the salmon mix. *The patties were always served with a white sauce that
> > contained finely diced cucumber and dill weed.

> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright

> > "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> > * * * * * * - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.- Hide quoted text -

I always serve my salmon load/patties with this dill sauce.

TARTER SAUCE (DILL)

Ľ cup Mayo
Ľ Cup Yogurt (plain)
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 TBL lemon juice (optional)
1 dill pickle, chopped fine
1 TBL chopped dill

Mix together – refrigerate 1 hr to blend flavors
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

I use fresh raw salmon, stripped off the skin and rough chopped. I add
instant potato flakes, a bit of flour, chopped onion, Old Bay seasoning
and a bit of milk and process it in a food processor or with a stick
blender until it's suitably chopped and mixed, adding more milk or
potato flakes as needed to get a decent texture. I then form the
patties, coat them in bread crumbs and pan fry them. I typically make a
big batch and then vac bag and freeze the extras in pairs (cooked) for
quick reheating in the future. It's a bit different than most recipes,
but it works well and I like the results. I do use canned salmon for
"salmon pie" however.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> KenK wrote:
> >
> > I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> > salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> > good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> > or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
> >

> I use fresh raw salmon, stripped off the skin and rough chopped. I add
> instant potato flakes, a bit of flour, chopped onion, Old Bay seasoning
> and a bit of milk and process it in a food processor or with a stick
> blender until it's suitably chopped and mixed, adding more milk or
> potato flakes as needed to get a decent texture. I then form the
> patties, coat them in bread crumbs and pan fry them. I typically make a
> big batch and then vac bag and freeze the extras in pairs (cooked) for
> quick reheating in the future. It's a bit different than most recipes,
> but it works well and I like the results. I do use canned salmon for
> "salmon pie" however.

Duh, I forgot the egg in my list.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Zest from a lemon.

A spot of Malt vinegar.

Chives

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Try using some very dry mashed potatoes (no milk added) instead of
crackers, a soupŤon of nutmeg wont hurt. Chives, parsley, chervil are
often used. A bit of lemon juice add to the patties and then fried in
butter and garlic is nice.

Course if you want to make a major improvement use fresh fish and not
canned. Grind your own if you have to but fresh is best.

A combo of ground chicken and shrimp with garlic, butter and white wine
is excellent and can be poached or sautŽed.

Are you familiar with gefelte fish?

I sometimes cheat and use lobster or crab to make it with.

http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes...ish/index.html
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 12:44*pm, "Donna Rzesiewicz" > wrote:
> do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
> 5.247...
>

> > On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:05:55a, KenK told us...

> >> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> >> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> >> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> >> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

> >> TIA

> >> Ken

> > My mom always added a bit of fresh lemon juice and finely chopped
> > scallions
> > to the salmon mix. *The patties were always served with a white sauce that
> > contained finely diced cucumber and dill weed.

> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright

> > "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> > * * * * * * - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.- Hide quoted text -

White sauce is white sauce. It can be made thin, medium or thick -
from BH & G - this looks to be medium.

Makes: 1-1/2 cups sauce
Start to Finish: 15 minutes

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash black pepper
1-1/2 cups milk
Directions
1. In a small saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
Stir in milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until
thickened and bubbly . Cook and stir 1 minute more. Makes 1-1/2 cups
sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 12:44*pm, "Donna Rzesiewicz" > wrote:
> do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
> 5.247...
>

> > On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:05:55a, KenK told us...

> >> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> >> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> >> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> >> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

> >> TIA

> >> Ken

> > My mom always added a bit of fresh lemon juice and finely chopped
> > scallions
> > to the salmon mix. *The patties were always served with a white sauce that
> > contained finely diced cucumber and dill weed.

> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright

> > "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> > * * * * * * - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.- Hide quoted text -

You can add different stuff to the White Sauce - I like hard-boiled
eggs in White Sauce over salmon - either croquettes or patties. Of
course, the basic use of White Sauce (other than saucing casseroles)
is dried-beef-on-toast.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 2:17*pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> KenK wrote:
> > I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> > salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> > good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> > or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

> > TIA

> > Ken

> Try using some very dry mashed potatoes (no milk added) instead of
> crackers, a soup on of nutmeg wont hurt. *Chives, parsley, chervil are
> often used. A bit of lemon juice add to the patties and then fried in
> butter and garlic is nice.
>
> Course if you want to make a major improvement use fresh fish and not
> canned. *Grind your own if you have to but fresh is best.
>
> A combo of ground chicken and shrimp with garlic, butter and white wine
> is excellent and can be poached or sautŽed.
>
> Are you familiar with gefelte fish?
>
> I sometimes cheat and use lobster or crab to make it with.
>
> http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes...ish/index.html
> --
> JL

I couldn't get into blended, beaten or pureed raw fish - ick. I like
recognizable salmon bits in my patties and "fish pie."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 12:05�pm, KenK > wrote:
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

Well, I love salmon patties, I have found if I use LO fresh salmon it
improves the whole thing.
However, no matter if I use canned or fresh I put these things in,
chopped red onion, fresh parsley, mayo,lemon juice, tobasco, an egg or
two,Fresh parsley makes a big difference Fresh grtound pepper too... I
think thats about it.

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2:17 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>
>>KenK wrote:
>>
>>>I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>>>salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
>>>good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
>>>or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

>>>TIA

>>>Ken

>>Try using some very dry mashed potatoes (no milk added) instead of
>>crackers, a soup on of nutmeg wont hurt. Chives, parsley, chervil are
>>often used. A bit of lemon juice add to the patties and then fried in
>>butter and garlic is nice.
>>
>>Course if you want to make a major improvement use fresh fish and not
>>canned. Grind your own if you have to but fresh is best.
>>
>>A combo of ground chicken and shrimp with garlic, butter and white wine
>>is excellent and can be poached or sautŽed.
>>
>>Are you familiar with gefelte fish?
>>
>>I sometimes cheat and use lobster or crab to make it with.
>>
>>http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes...ish/index.html
>>--
>>JL

> I couldn't get into blended, beaten or pureed raw fish - ick. I like
> recognizable salmon bits in my patties and "fish pie."
>
> N.

"Do what thou wilt" but you are missing a treat by not taking advantage
of the 'blended' flavors of fish & chicken.

However, just to tempt you, dice up a boneless, skinless breast of
chicken, sauté it in butter & garlic with an equal amount of shrimp and
shallots or green onions, finish with some white wine, let reduce a bit
and serve over pasta or rice.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 2:36 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:

> >>Try using some very dry mashed potatoes (no milk added) instead of
> >>crackers, a soup on of nutmeg wont hurt. Chives, parsley, chervil are
> >>often used. A bit of lemon juice add to the patties and then fried in
> >>butter and garlic is nice.

> >>Course if you want to make a major improvement use fresh fish and not
> >>canned. Grind your own if you have to but fresh is best.

> >>A combo of ground chicken and shrimp with garlic, butter and white wine
> >>is excellent and can be poached or sautŽed.

> >>Are you familiar with gefelte fish?

> >>I sometimes cheat and use lobster or crab to make it with.

> >>http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes...ish/index.html
> >>--
> >>JL

> > I couldn't get into blended, beaten or pureed raw fish - ick. I like
> > recognizable salmon bits in my patties and "fish pie."

> > N.

> "Do what thou wilt" but you are missing a treat by not taking advantage
> of the 'blended' flavors of fish & chicken.
>
> However, just to tempt you, dice up a boneless, skinless breast of
> chicken, sauté it in butter & garlic with an equal amount of shrimp and
> shallots or green onions, finish with some white wine, let reduce a bit
> and serve over pasta or rice.
> --
> JL

Well, heck, your little recipe has recognizable chicken bits in it -
anyway, when are you going to be here to cook? LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Mar 2009 17:05:55 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
>good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
>or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
>TIA
>
>Ken

A dollop of dijon-style mustard adds a nice tang.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Mar 2009 17:05:55 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry.

There was a time that canned salmon was what was available in the
50's. Fresh seafood of all types are flown in daily to markets.
Search out fresh salmon, dice and try a crab cake recipe. This is
from Ina Garten although it is ten or more years old but still a
stellar recipe.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Crab Cakes-Garten

seafood

2 tb unsalted butter
2 tb olive oil
3/4 c red onion; diced
1 1/2 c celery; fine dice
1/2 c red bell pepper; fine dice
1/2 c yellow bell pepper; fine dice
1/4 c parsley; minced
1 tb capers; drained
1/4 ts Tabasco sauce
1/2 ts worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 ts Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/2 ts black pepper; fresh grind
1/2 lb lump crabmeat
1/2 c plain dry bread crumbs
1/2 c mayonnaise
2 ts dijon mustard
2 xl eggs; lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 c olive oil

Place the 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, red
and
yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire
sauce, crab boil seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large saute pan over
medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately
20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, break the lump crabmeat into small pieces and toss
with
the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. Add the cooked
mixture and
mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Shape
into
bite-sized crab cakes.

Heat the butter and olive oil for frying over medium heat in a large
saute
pan. Add the crab cakes and fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until
browned. Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree oven
and
serve hot.

Notes: Ina Garten 1999

Yield: 4 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 2:25*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:

> There was a time that canned salmon was what was available in the
> 50's. * * Fresh seafood of all types are flown in daily to markets.
> Search out fresh salmon, dice and try a crab cake recipe.

Crab and salmon differ greatly in taste. You can almost be certain
that seasonings that work well for one will not go well with the
other.

>*This is
> from Ina Garten although it is ten or more years old but still a
> stellar recipe. *
>
> * * @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Crab Cakes-Garten
>
> seafood
>
> 2 tb unsalted butter
> 2 tb olive oil
> 3/4 c red onion; diced
> 1 1/2 c celery; fine dice
> 1/2 c red bell pepper; fine dice
> 1/2 c yellow bell pepper; fine dice
> 1/4 c parsley; minced
> 1 tb capers; drained
> 1/4 ts Tabasco sauce
> 1/2 ts worcestershire sauce
> 1 1/2 ts Old Bay Seasoning
> 1/2 ts kosher salt
> 1/2 ts black pepper; fresh grind
> 1/2 lb lump crabmeat
> 1/2 c plain dry bread crumbs
> 1/2 c mayonnaise
> 2 ts dijon mustard
> 2 xl eggs; lightly beaten
> 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
> 1/4 c olive oil

[snip]
> Yield: 4 servings

This is a seriously malapportioned recipe. It has 4 cups worth of
vegetables and fillers and serious quantities of strongly flavored
seasonings and two eggs -- all for a measly half pound of crabmeat.
To serve 4. You might as well skip the crab entirely, no one will
ever taste it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Chile
Garlic
Parsley (or coriander/cilantro)
Onion or spring/green onion
Black pepper
Lemon or lime juice
Curry paste
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Chopped onion or scallion, chopped bell pepper, ground pepper, rosemary
and a splash of lemon juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:44:33a, Donna Rzesiewicz told us...

> do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?

Hi Donna,

Sorry for the delay. I've been having intermittent problems connecting tu
Usenet. Following is my mother's recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cucumber Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
(or half whole milk and half light cream)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder -- optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or less, to taste
3/4 cup cucumber -- peeled, seeded, and 1/4" diced
1 teaspoon dried dill weed -- or 2 teaspoons fresh

Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan. Stir in flour, increase
heat, and cook roux until bubbling but not brown.

Whisk in milk/cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook,
whisking constantly, untili sauce is smooth and thickened.

Stir in diced cucumber and dill weed, and continue to cook over low heat
until cucumber is heated.

Adjust seasonings to taste.

Yield:
"2 1/2 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 13g Fat (64.1%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 40mg
Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1/2
Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 12:05*pm, KenK > wrote:
> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an addition
> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?

I didn't read the whole thread, but did anyone suggest canned red
salmon instead of the pink salmon. Canned pink salmon is something I
used to eat when I was very poor, but now I think of as cat food. I
addition to the above standard ingredients, you could add a bit of
dijon mustard, dill weed, and/or very finely diced onion or celery.

> TIA
>
> Ken

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:44:33a, Donna Rzesiewicz told us...
>
> > do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?

> Hi Donna,
>
> Sorry for the delay. I've been having intermittent problems connecting tu
> Usenet. Following is my mother's recipe:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cucumber Sauce
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Sauces

> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
> 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> 2 cups whole milk
> (or half whole milk and half light cream)
> 1/2 teaspoon onion powder -- optional
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or less, to taste
> 3/4 cup cucumber -- peeled, seeded, and 1/4" diced
> 1 teaspoon dried dill weed -- or 2 teaspoons fresh
>
> Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan. Stir in flour, increase
> heat, and cook roux until bubbling but not brown.
>
> Whisk in milk/cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook,
> whisking constantly, untili sauce is smooth and thickened.
>
> Stir in diced cucumber and dill weed, and continue to cook over low heat
> until cucumber is heated.
>
> Adjust seasonings to taste.
>
> Yield:
> "2 1/2 cups"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 13g Fat (64.1%
> calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 40mg
> Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 1/2
> Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Interesting, a béchamel type sauce. I'd also consider a similar yogurt
based sauce (tatziki?).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK > wrote in
:

> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother
> did - canned salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form
> patties and fry. Pretty good but I'm getting a bit tired of
> them. Can someone suggest an addition or ingredient change to
> brighten them up a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Lemon juice & diced onion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am I the only person here who uses cornmeal in their salmon patties
instead crushed crackers?? Of course an egg is a must and several
healthy dashes of MSG-free lemon pepper to the mixture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill > wrote:

>There was a time that canned salmon was what was available in the
>50's. Fresh seafood of all types are flown in daily to markets.
>Search out fresh salmon, dice and try a crab cake recipe.

Hint: canned salmon is always wild salmon. Fresh salmon is
farmed salmon unless specified otherwise. Wild salmon is
in many ways better than farmed salmon.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2:36 pm, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
>>However, just to tempt you, dice up a boneless, skinless breast of
>>chicken, sauté it in butter & garlic with an equal amount of shrimp and
>>shallots or green onions, finish with some white wine, let reduce a bit
>>and serve over pasta or rice.
>>--
>>JL

> Well, heck, your little recipe has recognizable chicken bits in it -
> anyway, when are you going to be here to cook? LOL.
>
> N.

*Chuckle* where's "here" nancy? i intend to move to the American
southwest, with in a year so so.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said canned salmon is always wild caught salmon, not farm
raised.

I'm curious about this and hope it is true.
There is a big difference between pink and red salmon in price (and
taste to me).
I've been buying the small cans of red to make patties, but I'd be happy
to try the pink larger cans if I thought it wasn't farm raised. It just
never occured to me - maybe it tells you on the label.

I guess it may be like white or light tuna.....I've come to prefer the
light, in oil.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay wrote:

> Steve Pope said canned salmon is always wild caught salmon, not farm
> raised.
>
> I'm curious about this and hope it is true.
> There is a big difference between pink and red salmon in price (and
> taste to me).
> I've been buying the small cans of red to make patties, but I'd be
> happy to try the pink larger cans if I thought it wasn't farm raised.
> It just never occured to me - maybe it tells you on the label.

The color comes from the variety of fish. You can read about it here
(usual wikipedia caveats):

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_salmon>

That states that pink salmon are not commonly farmed.

> I guess it may be like white or light tuna.....I've come to prefer the
> light, in oil.

It has a milder flavor than Sockeye (red). It's not that close to tuna,
but I have made salmon salad from it in the past with reasonable
success.

Brian

--
Day 44 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fred/Libby Barclay > wrote:

>Steve Pope said canned salmon is always wild caught salmon, not farm
>raised.

>I'm curious about this and hope it is true.
>There is a big difference between pink and red salmon in price (and
>taste to me).
>I've been buying the small cans of red to make patties, but I'd be happy
>to try the pink larger cans if I thought it wasn't farm raised.

You can be almost certain of it.

If you like, you can just buy only the cans that say "wild"
on them.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you Steve and Brian for your answers on the canned salmon. I
guess I should have gone to Wikopedia, but I do appreciate your
kindness.

I'll be trying the pink canned salmon for my next patties. By the way,
I like them with an egg, bread crumbs, and old bay seasoning. I usually
serve them with a chipolte mayo sauce and lemon.

Thanks again,

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 1:56*pm, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> Thank you Steve and Brian for your answers on the canned salmon. *I
> guess I should have gone to Wikopedia, but I do appreciate your
> kindness.
>
> I'll be trying the pink canned salmon for my next patties. *By the way,
> I like them with an egg, bread crumbs, and old bay seasoning. *I usually
> serve them with a chipolte mayo sauce and lemon.

You're probably going to experiment once with the pink (chum) and then
revert to the red (sockeye). That's what usually happens, as most
people (see previous threads here in rfc) clearly prefer the taste of
the red. I don't know if all canned salmon is wild caught -- I
certainly hope so -- but if the can says "wild" or "Alaska" you'll be
good. There aren't any fish farms in Alaska. Shellfish have been
tried, but not fish. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 18 Mar 2009 11:40:27a, Pete C. told us...

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
>> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an

addition
>> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>>

> I use fresh raw salmon, stripped off the skin and rough chopped. I add
> instant potato flakes, a bit of flour, chopped onion, Old Bay seasoning
> and a bit of milk and process it in a food processor or with a stick
> blender until it's suitably chopped and mixed, adding more milk or
> potato flakes as needed to get a decent texture. I then form the
> patties, coat them in bread crumbs and pan fry them. I typically make a
> big batch and then vac bag and freeze the extras in pairs (cooked) for
> quick reheating in the future. It's a bit different than most recipes,
> but it works well and I like the results. I do use canned salmon for
> "salmon pie" however.

Though it sounds very good (and with some extra effort), I doubt this was
the type of suggestion the OP was looking for. Everyone I've ever know has
used canned salmon for salmon patties.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 18 Mar 2009 06:09:58p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Wed 18 Mar 2009 10:44:33a, Donna Rzesiewicz told us...
>>
>> > do you have the recipe for the white sauce she put on the patties?

>> Hi Donna,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay. I've been having intermittent problems connecting
>> tu Usenet. Following is my mother's recipe:
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Cucumber Sauce
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Sauces
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
>> 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>> 2 cups whole milk
>> (or half whole milk and half light cream)
>> 1/2 teaspoon onion powder -- optional
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or less, to taste
>> 3/4 cup cucumber -- peeled, seeded, and 1/4" diced
>> 1 teaspoon dried dill weed -- or 2 teaspoons fresh
>>
>> Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan. Stir in flour, increase
>> heat, and cook roux until bubbling but not brown.
>>
>> Whisk in milk/cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook,
>> whisking constantly, untili sauce is smooth and thickened.
>>
>> Stir in diced cucumber and dill weed, and continue to cook over low
>> heat until cucumber is heated.
>>
>> Adjust seasonings to taste.
>>
>> Yield:
>> "2 1/2 cups"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> -
>>
>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 13g Fat (64.1%
>> calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
>> 40mg Cholesterol; 329mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
>> Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> "One man's meat is another man's poison" - Oswald Dykes, English
>> writer, 1709.

> Interesting, a béchamel type sauce. I'd also consider a similar yogurt
> based sauce (tatziki?).

Yes, I think that would be quite good, too. The tartness of the yogurt
would add an interesting touch.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 18 Mar 2009 11:40:27a, Pete C. told us...
>
>> KenK wrote:
>>> I've been making salmon patties for years the way my mother did - canned
>>> salmon, egg and crumbled up saltines, mix, form patties and fry. Pretty
>>> good but I'm getting a bit tired of them. Can someone suggest an

> addition
>>> or ingredient change to brighten them up a little?
>>>

>> I use fresh raw salmon, stripped off the skin and rough chopped. I add
>> instant potato flakes, a bit of flour, chopped onion, Old Bay seasoning
>> and a bit of milk and process it in a food processor or with a stick
>> blender until it's suitably chopped and mixed, adding more milk or
>> potato flakes as needed to get a decent texture. I then form the
>> patties, coat them in bread crumbs and pan fry them. I typically make a
>> big batch and then vac bag and freeze the extras in pairs (cooked) for
>> quick reheating in the future. It's a bit different than most recipes,
>> but it works well and I like the results. I do use canned salmon for
>> "salmon pie" however.

> Though it sounds very good (and with some extra effort), I doubt this was
> the type of suggestion the OP was looking for. Everyone I've ever know has
> used canned salmon for salmon patties.

Wayne, I thought all salmon came in cans until I was nearly fifty yo.
That was when I ate fresh salmon for the very first time. Up until then
all salmon came from the grocery store in a can and we made salmon
patties with it.

I caught my first salmon, a silver, in the Columbia River, near
Kennewick, WA in July of 1986. We grilled it over charcoal, skin side
down with a little lemon juice and I haven't eaten canned salmon since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:56 pm, (Fred/Libby Barclay) wrote:
> Thank you Steve and Brian for your answers on the canned salmon. I
> guess I should have gone to Wikopedia, but I do appreciate your
> kindness.
>
> I'll be trying the pink canned salmon for my next patties. By the way,
> I like them with an egg, bread crumbs, and old bay seasoning. I usually
> serve them with a chipolte mayo sauce and lemon.

You're probably going to experiment once with the pink (chum) and then
revert to the red (sockeye). That's what usually happens, as most
people (see previous threads here in rfc) clearly prefer the taste of
the red.

That's because most are afflicted with TIAD and have more dollars than brain
cells. The red is too good for blending with all those ingredients, formed
into patties, and fried... like using top shelf scotch for sours. The pink
is used blended into recipes and cooked. The red is eaten au jus (never
cooked), or used to top a composed salad, not even dressing of any kind
'cept the liquid from the salmon, with just a spritz of fresh lemon.