Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

I wouldn't call it bogus, but I wouldn't call any of the items they
mention "revolutionary" either. I'd call them conveniences that we
could live without but most of us have succumbed to many of them.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

I think that the whole list if a crock. Non stick frying pans are handy
for some things, but I would suggest that the cast iron pan was probably
a more significant cooking item than non stick.

Air conditioning?? What the hell does that have to to with cooking?

I so use times. AAMOF, I bought my wife a quadruple timer from Lee
Valley because she had a habit of turning off the oven to reset the
timer for multiple dishes. Timers are handly but hardly a significant
factor.

The chimney starter is a handy gimmick, but it's not as if there was no
other way to light charcoal.

Plastic wrap is handy, but a vacuum sealer???? I use mine but I survived
just fine without one for years.

WTF does a dishwasher have to do with cooking? That's another appliance
I lived without for a long time and one that I don't often use myself,
finding it faster and easier to wash dishes by hand.

Microwave?????? I rarely use mine. It is handy for reheating leftovers
and for heating up frozen prepared foods, which in my mind, might almost
qualify it for a detriment to culinary development.

I might consider food processors to be an even better appliance than a
blender, since an FP can do a lot of jobs that a blender cannot.

Slow cooker? I don't have one and have never had anything cooked in one
that could not have been cooked on the stove top or in the oven.

The microplane is pretty handy, but there were lots of zesters and
grated around before someone adopted a body shop tool for the kitchen.

I am sure that Weber fans might disagree, but I have to wonder why they
mention the gas grill and the Weber grill. They are both basically BBQ
grills. While I use my gas grill as long as it is warm and well lit on
the patio, most BBQs tend to be relegated to putting the guy who can't
cook in charge of cooking the meat.

As for the silpat.... I haev to plead ignorance. I have heard of them
and seen them used on cooking shows. While one of my favourite celebrity
cooks seems to like it, she says you can use parchment paper.
Accordingly, parchment paper would be the one that changed cooking, not
the silpat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>of it seems bogus.

Not so much "bogus" as superficial IMO. Giving a gas and charcoal BBQ
separate listings is pretty silly as well. Whoever put the list
together doesn't appear to have given it much thought.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

Yeah, really. I rather think the knife was a big deal. And fire, hard to
cook without fire. Although that really isn't an invention I suppose.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 6:36*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > You can see it he

> >http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...ed-the-way-we-...

> > I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> > get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.

> > I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> > I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.

> > I'm not that keen on timers, either. *I used to use
> > a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> > TV set.

> > Chimney starter? *I use fluid, and before that I used
> > an electric starter. *Either works fine. *The chimney
> > starter doesn't provide any new capability.

> > I'm not going to finish looking at this list. *Too much
> > of it seems bogus.

> I wouldn't call it bogus, but I wouldn't call any of the items they
> mention "revolutionary" either. *I'd call them conveniences that we
> could live without but most of us have succumbed to many of them.
>
> gloria p

They definitely have an odd way of describing revolutionary. The
fridge for sure. Machines that chop and puree, easy on the cook.

Dish washer, plastic wrap, vacuum sealer, crockpot, mechanical timer,
television, microwave and the Internet, convenience.

Silpat, AC, overnight delivery, microplane, Tupperware (the brand),
grills and gas grills, chimney starter, non-stick cookwa I get
along nicely without thankyouverymuch

Summer if I'm going to bake or use the oven, I start early in the
morning, and use a fan to get rid of the excess heat after I'm done.
More usual, tho, is to simply plan menus that don't require the oven.
Simple enough.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>> of it seems bogus.

> Not so much "bogus" as superficial IMO. Giving a gas and charcoal BBQ
> separate listings is pretty silly as well. Whoever put the list
> together doesn't appear to have given it much thought.

Done by committee, do you suppose?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>You can see it he
>
>http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
>I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
>get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
>I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
>I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.

I haven't either, but I've visited other parts of the country/world
when I was grateful to have one.

>I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
>a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
>TV set.

Oh, I need a timer just to boil water. I tend to wander off, do
something else and forget I've got something boiling on the stove -
it's not an age thing either, it's something I've done all my life.

>I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>of it seems bogus.

Maybe it's one of those Manhattan conversation starters. That list is
stretching it for me too. I don't use a chimney, a vacuum sealer,
silpat, a microplane, a crockpot, and I don't use my microwave to
cook... but others on this ng do.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:56:53 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>bob wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>>> of it seems bogus.

>> Not so much "bogus" as superficial IMO. Giving a gas and charcoal BBQ
>> separate listings is pretty silly as well. Whoever put the list
>> together doesn't appear to have given it much thought.
>>

>Done by committee, do you suppose?

Sounds more like it was done by people who don't cook much and don't
have much experience *not* using those items. I gave Tupperware an ok
because it has spawned other products that we can buy on the grocery
store shelf now. Let's say it was an excellent idea back in the day
and the concept has evolved.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, mostly bogus and convenience, but you do have to admit that a
fridge is pretty useful. Hard to imagine what it would have been like
to keep a kitchen a hundred years ago without one.

And to the chimney haters - I don't do much grilling, but hate the
smell of lighter fluid, either applied by me or in those quick-start
briquettes. Made my chimney starter from a coffee can. Works great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
>themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run.

That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> And to the chimney haters - I don't do much grilling, but hate the
> smell of lighter fluid, either applied by me or in those quick-start
> briquettes. Made my chimney starter from a coffee can. Works great.

Quick-start briquettes do impart a horrible flavor,
but handled properly liquid starter gets completely
burnt off. As long as areas touched by the fluid
get really hot, it all gets baked off or burnt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking (long response)

On Sun 15 Mar 2009 04:02:08p, Mark Thorson told us...

> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...he-way-we-cook
> ?slide=1#showHeader

Personally, I would hardly call many, if any, of these choices
"revolutionary", but some certainly added convenience to the
kitchen/cooking environment.

1. Non-stick coating... In general, if you have decent cookware, non-
stick coatings don't provide a huge advantage except, perhaps, for cooking
eggs. While it's true that things don't stick to most of them, with good
cookware and proper cooking techniques, foods don't stick to many cooking
services. Where they can be a distinct advantage is in very thin cheap
cookware which is prone to burning and sticking food.

2. Air conditioning... Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never lived
in a home that didn't have air conditioning. Many people would agree that
it provides a comfortable and consistent living environment. Unless you
live in a climate where temperatures and/or humidity soar in the summer, I
don't see that it provides a huge advantage to cooking. Living in Arizona,
however, it's an essential that I could/would absolutely not live without,
cooking included.

3. Timers... I don't own, need, or want any external stand-alone timers,
but if my appliances (range, microwaves, toaster ovens, etc.), didn't have
their own timers I would consider them essential for many things,
especially baking, roasting, etc.

4. Chimney starter... Since I haven't used charcoal in 35 years, it
certainly isn't an essential to me. For those who do use charcoal, there
are numerous easy ways to start a charcoal fire. Perhaps those who use
these find thm easier, less messy, and more convenient than other methods.

5. Plastic wrap... Originally developed as an improvement over waxed
paper, it is an essential in my kitchen. It performs better for most uses,
although both waxed paper and parchment paper have unique uses where
plastic wrap cannot be substituted.

6. Television... Julia Child, in particular, started a cooking
revolutioin that brought good food and good cooking techniques to the
masses. Other television cooks have frequently made positive offerings as
well.

7. Vacuum sealers... I don't own one and probably wouldn't use it much if
I did. I can understand what many people feel the advantages may be, but
they're unimportant to me. A heavy weight plastic bag and soda straw
suffice for my needs.

8. Dishwashers... An absolute essential in my kitchen. I would most
likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. I grew up with
one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in the first
apartment I rented that didn't have one. I know dishwashers are
subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by hand.

9. Silpat... I bought a sheet once and threw it out after a couple of
uses. Just another damned thing to clean. Parchment is just as effective,
IMO, and I'd rather dispose of it rather than clean it.

10. Refrigerators (and/or freezers)... A total revolution to the kitchen
and cooking. Before refrigerators, most home cooks had to shop almost
daily to provide fresh food for the table. Refrigerators also spawned many
dishes that simply weren't possible with ice boxes or "nothing" to keep
food at low storage or frozen temperatures.

11. Overnight freight... An absolute and total waste of money, IMO. The
cost of overnight freight today almost always is greater than the item
being shipped. I can't think of anything I need that badly to warrant
such a cost.

12. The Internet... As much as I love owning cookbooks, the ease of
locating a huge assortment of recipes on the Internet has no comparison.
For those who cannot afford to build a substantial library of cookbooks,
searching the Internet for recipes and/or sharing them with others, saves
hours of laborious searching through libraries or enquiring about them from
others.

13. Food procesors... An absolute essential among my kitchen appliances.
I owned the first model offered in the US, the Robot-Coupe. I couldn't
believe how much time it saved in food prep. There are probably a number
of dishes I make that I wouldn't bother with if I didn't have a food
processor. My orignal Robot-Coupe was replaced after a decade with a
Cuisinart and a Hamilton Beach. The Robot-Coupe was replaced because of a
broken workbowl which, at the time, couldn't be replaced. The brand is of
such high quality, I would buy an imported Robot-Coupe if I could afford
today's prices.

14. Gas grills... My decided preference over charcoal. I prefer it's
almost instant heat, convenience, temperature accuracy, lack of mess, etc.
The model I own has a drawer to hold wood chips to add a smoke flavor.

15. Microplane graters... A true advance over ordinary grater,
particularly for certain food itemks. Yet, ordinary graters also have
advantages over microplanes. I wouldn't part with either.

16. Blenders... Blenders have been around a lot longer than most people
realize. Although entire cookbooks have been written for their use, IMO
there are a few basic uses that nothing else can duplicate, not even food
processors.

17. Slow cookers... Like the Robot Coupe, the original Crock-Pot was an
early addition to my kitchen. I later replaced it with a similar model
with a removable crock, then later added a larger oval-shaped model. I
have tried many recipes either designed for or adapted for the slow cooker.
In the vast majority of cases, I found the final product inferior to the
original cooking method. I can't believe that so many people use them
numerous times a week to put a dinner on the table.

18. Tupperware... Years ago I bought a rather large collection of
Tupperware pieces. I don't have many any longer, as I really prefer
storing in the old-style glass refrigerator containers. I do like the
cheap, disposable plastic containers for storing food in the freezer,
however. Tupperware, as a brand, seems terrifically overpriced.

19. Microwaves... Like the Robot Coupe and the Crock-Pot, a first
generation microwave was an early addtion to my kitchen. An Amana, it came
with a large hard-bound cookbook with some decent and some very contrived
recipes. Newer technology has made them a better cooking medium, although
I have to say that I almost never cook a "meal" in the microwave. It is
usually used to reheat, defrost, or an interim step in a recipe.

20. Weber Grill... Never owned one. Grew up with a huge wood-fired brick
and stone barbecue in the back yard. It produced great food, but I
wouldn't trade it for a gas grill. The main advantage of a Weber kettle or
similar grill is its portability.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
> >themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run.

> That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
> used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
> didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
ready.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> 2. Air conditioning... Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never lived
> in a home that didn't have air conditioning.
>
> 8. Dishwashers... An absolute essential in my kitchen. I would most
> likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. I grew up
> with one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in the
> first apartment I rented that didn't have one. I know dishwashers are
> subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by hand.

Geez Louise! You grew up like Richie Rich or
George W. Bush! Probably don't even know what
shit smells like because always had servants to
.. . . I'll let Sheldon finish that sentence.

Do you even know what a bread crust is? Or were
they all sliced off your sandwiches before you
ever saw them? Diary entry -- "Found seed in
orange juice, had cook flogged."

ENJOY WASHING DISHES ??? Seen it in paintings,
have you, Richie? Happy peasants washing dishes?
If I were a painter, I'd paint pictures of
happy peasants cleaning cat litter boxes.
And I'd sell them to the ruling class, who would
assume they reflected an underlying reality
that supported their imagination of the natural
order of things. I bet they'd sell pretty well,
too. Especially in Texas. And other places
where they use air conditioning and Mexicans.
Happy Mexicans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...he-way-we-cook
> ?slide=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

They forgot

Mandolines
George Forman Grill
Toasters

Refrigerators, from another poster, In England, they kept kegs of beer
underground as a method to keep it cool. I remember in Oxford, at a hotel I
had a rum 'n' coke but had to BEG for ice cubes. They were seriously
stingy. A breakfast thing??? <VBG>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> 2. Air conditioning... Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never
>> lived
>> in a home that didn't have air conditioning.
>>
>> 8. Dishwashers... An absolute essential in my kitchen. I would most
>> likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. I grew up
>> with one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in the
>> first apartment I rented that didn't have one. I know dishwashers are
>> subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by hand.

> Geez Louise! You grew up like Richie Rich or
> George W. Bush! Probably don't even know what
> shit smells like because always had servants to
> . . . I'll let Sheldon finish that sentence.

I'm about he same age as Wayne. Middle class family and AC all the way. I
think we were the first on our block. I did not have a dishwasher until I
bought my first house at 20. Have not been without one since.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
> > >themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run.

> > That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
> > used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> > It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> > a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> > before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
> > didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> > chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

> Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
> ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
> crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
> Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
> ready.

What a cool idea! How many holes? Just around the edges or what?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'm about he same age as Wayne. Middle class family and AC all the way. I
> think we were the first on our block. I did not have a dishwasher until I
> bought my first house at 20. Have not been without one since.

I think I'm 15-20 years younger than Wayne, but we always had
dishwashers and air conditioning growing up in Dallas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 16 Mar 2009 12:20:07a, Mark Thorson told us...

> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking (long
> response) From: Mark Thorson >
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> 2. Air conditioning... Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never
>> lived in a home that didn't have air conditioning.
>>
>> 8. Dishwashers... An absolute essential in my kitchen. I would most
>> likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. I grew up
>> with one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in
>> the first apartment I rented that didn't have one. I know dishwashers
>> are subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by
>> hand.

> Geez Louise! You grew up like Richie Rich or
> George W. Bush! Probably don't even know what
> shit smells like because always had servants to
> . . . I'll let Sheldon finish that sentence.

Give a guy a break, Mark. I grew up as the only child in an upper middle
class family. My parents weren't wealthy, but my dad made a very
comfortable living. Most homes in our neighborhood had dishwashers and
automatic clothes washers and dryers. Not everyone had central air
conditioning.

We didn't have "servants", but we did have a yard man and my mother did
have a cleaning lady. My mother did all the cooking and some of th
cleaning she preferred doing herself.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 3:20*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > 2. *Air conditioning... *Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never lived
> > in a home that didn't have air conditioning.

> > 8. *Dishwashers... *An absolute essential in my kitchen. *I would most
> > likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. *I grew up
> > with one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in the
> > first apartment I rented that didn't have one. *I know dishwashers are
> > subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by hand.

> Geez Louise! *You grew up like Richie Rich or
> George W. Bush! *Probably don't even know what
> shit smells like because always had servants to
> . . . I'll let Sheldon finish that sentence.
>
> Do you even know what a bread crust is? *Or were
> they all sliced off your sandwiches before you
> ever saw them? *Diary entry -- "Found seed in
> orange juice, had cook flogged."
>
> ENJOY WASHING DISHES ??? *Seen it in paintings,
> have you, Richie? *Happy peasants washing dishes?
> If I were a painter, I'd paint pictures of
> happy peasants cleaning cat litter boxes.
> And I'd sell them to the ruling class, who would
> assume they reflected an underlying reality
> that supported their imagination of the natural
> order of things. *I bet they'd sell pretty well,
> too. *Especially in Texas. *And other places
> where they use air conditioning and Mexicans.
> Happy Mexicans.

Sounding a little jealous, aren't you? I know there are folks in this
world who had it better than me, or had more than we did when growning
up, but as a kid, do you have a choice of living in the lap of luxury
(as you seem to think Wayne did) or in a cardboard shack? No. Grow
up.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

Gee. I use a fraction of these things, and some don't sound like
a good idea at all.

1. Nonstick coating--turns out not to be good for you, among
other things.

2. Air conditioning--depends on one's climate I suppose. I don't
like, say, using the oven or otherwise generating much heat when I
have the AC on. If I do have to cook something for an extended
period when it is hot, I prefer to do that in the early morning or
at night.

3. Timer--yes, I do use them--both for timing (duh) and to remind
myself that something is on or something needs to be done.

4. Chimney starter--not applicable to me (now).

5. Plastic wrap--depends on one's definition of cooking; it is
not good to COOK with it. Or to wrap fatty foods in it.

6. TV--well, mom used to watch Julia Child et al., so there was
probably a carryover effect on my cooking. I don't watch TV.

7. Vacuum sealers--I haven't ever used one. Come to think of it,
I do have one, given to me by someone else who didn't use it.

8. Dishwasher--useful, but mine has been broken for years.

9. Silpat--I don't own any. I wonder whether down the line,
research will show it is a bad idea, like nonstick coating.

10. Refrigerator--I'll go along with this one.

11. Overnight freight--yes and no. I think ideally we need to
buy local produce etc. and eat in season.

12. The Internet--obviously, being here, I agree with this as far
as access to recipes and information goes.

13. Food processor--I gave mine away to a former rfc poster years
ago and very rarely regret that.

14. Gas grill--if and when I get up the nerve to grill, it will
be with charcoal (at least I think so).

15. Microplane--I have never used one and have survived!

16. Blender (or Blendor--they should spell the Waring product
correctly)--useful. I think one might have to include stick
blenders here....

17. Slow cooker--I can see this, especially for folks who can't
be home cooking for hours before dinner.

18. Tupperware--I prefer containers made of glass/Pyrex.

19. Microwave oven--yes, especially when it comes to reheating.

20. Weber Grill--???

This is an odd list. How about a beater (even the hand-cranked
ones were a big improvement on having to beat things for hours,
and the electric ones were obviously an improvement over that).

Or a coffee grinder (home or store) for those of us who like coffee?

Or a stove/range/oven (as vs. using the fireplace?

Or indoor plumbing/easy access to water?

Or electricity, if you want to get down to basics?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean wrote on Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:39:39 -0400:

> [...]

> correctly)--useful. I think one might have to include stick blenders
> here....

> 17. Slow cooker--I can see this, especially for folks who
> can't be home cooking for hours before dinner.

> 18. Tupperware--I prefer containers made of glass/Pyrex.

> 19. Microwave oven--yes, especially when it comes to
> reheating.

> 20. Weber Grill--???

> This is an odd list. How about a beater (even the
> hand-cranked ones were a big improvement on having to beat
> things for hours, and the electric ones were obviously an
> improvement over that).

> Or a coffee grinder (home or store) for those of us who like
> coffee?

> Or a stove/range/oven (as vs. using the fireplace?

> Or indoor plumbing/easy access to water?

> Or electricity, if you want to get down to basics?

Also, too many phobias and misstatementsd to counter in one post!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> You can see it he
>>
>> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>>

>> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
>> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>>
>> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
>> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>>
>> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
>> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
>> TV set.
>>
>> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
>> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
>> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>>
>> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>> of it seems bogus.

> I wouldn't call it bogus, but I wouldn't call any of the items they
> mention "revolutionary" either. I'd call them conveniences that we
> could live without but most of us have succumbed to many of them.
>
> gloria p

About the only one that I see there is I would call a true step in the
evolution of cooking is the refrigerator...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>You can see it he
>>
>>http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>>
>>I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
>>get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>>
>>I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
>>I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>>

> I haven't either, but I've visited other parts of the country/world
> when I was grateful to have one.

Try living in Bangkok for a couple of years. You'll learn to appreciate an
air conditioner.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
>> >themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run.

>> That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
>> used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
>> It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
>> a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
>> before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
>> didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
>> chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

> Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
> ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
> crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
> Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
> ready.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Too bad coffee and juice doesn't come in cans anymore. Plastic is all I can
find. Those cans certainly did the trick for charcoal briquettes, didn't
they

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.
>
> I wouldn't put air conditioning on the list, but
> I've never lived in a place with an air conditioner.
>
> I'm not that keen on timers, either. I used to use
> a clock, and now I use the clock in my computer or
> TV set.
>
> Chimney starter? I use fluid, and before that I used
> an electric starter. Either works fine. The chimney
> starter doesn't provide any new capability.
>
> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
> of it seems bogus.

Number 12. I never thought a computer is necessary in the kitchen. I'm old
school: cookbook or recipe card

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:04:42 +1300, bob wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>>I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>>of it seems bogus.

> Not so much "bogus" as superficial IMO. Giving a gas and charcoal BBQ
> separate listings is pretty silly as well. Whoever put the list
> together doesn't appear to have given it much thought.

take it for what it is, not some work of philosophy. like any 'top twenty'
(or what have you) list, it's mostly fluff and for fun if you have a good
time arguing about such things.

that said, i do get a lot of use from my kitchen time (a lux, actually),
and am surprised it was not invented until 1936 (a time, it should be
noted, before every appliance with the possible exception of a toaster had
a clock in it). i only wish this one had the single 'ding,' instead of
'brriiing,' which makes me jump every time.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:04:32 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
>>themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run.

> That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
> used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
> didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

i seem to recall using a jerry-rigged version in the boy scouts, which
would have been around the mid-sixties.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:04:42 +1300, bob wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:02:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>> I'm not going to finish looking at this list. Too much
>>> of it seems bogus.

>> Not so much "bogus" as superficial IMO. Giving a gas and charcoal BBQ
>> separate listings is pretty silly as well. Whoever put the list
>> together doesn't appear to have given it much thought.

> take it for what it is, not some work of philosophy. like any 'top twenty'
> (or what have you) list, it's mostly fluff and for fun if you have a good
> time arguing about such things.
>
> that said, i do get a lot of use from my kitchen time (a lux, actually),
> and am surprised it was not invented until 1936 (a time, it should be
> noted, before every appliance with the possible exception of a toaster had
> a clock in it). i only wish this one had the single 'ding,' instead of
> 'brriiing,' which makes me jump every time.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes!!!!! I want an old wind-up timer, that just has one ding. I
agree re jumping. It scares me every time.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:14:21 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>> Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
>> ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
>> crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
>> Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
>> ready.

>What a cool idea! How many holes? Just around the edges or what?

Just put them along the perimeter at the bottom. You can't make them
too close or else you won't have individual holes.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 10:36*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:04:32 -0700, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > > wrote:

> >>I don't see it that some of those things were a total revolution in
> >>themselves, but what fruit they bore in the long run. *

> > That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. *My grandfather
> > used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> > It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> > a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> > before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. *Grandpa
> > didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> > chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

> i seem to recall using a jerry-rigged version in the boy scouts, which
> would have been around the mid-sixties.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Girl scouts still use them at times. We taught our troop how to make
one and use it. Good for windy places where you need to get a fire
started<g>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:14:21 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> >,
> > Dan Abel > wrote:
> >
> >> In article >,

> >> Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
> >> ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
> >> crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
> >> Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
> >> ready.

> >What a cool idea! How many holes? Just around the edges or what?

> Just put them along the perimeter at the bottom. You can't make them
> too close or else you won't have individual holes.

Thanks.

Dad does get canned juices from time to time, so I have them available
periodically.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

jmcquown wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney

> >> That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
> >> used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> >> It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> >> a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> >> before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
> >> didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> >> chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

> > Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
> > ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
> > crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
> > Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
> > ready.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Abel
> > Petaluma, California USA
> >

> Too bad coffee and juice doesn't come in cans anymore. Plastic is all I can
> find. Those cans certainly did the trick for charcoal briquettes, didn't
> they
>
> Jill

I recently purchased ground coffee in a 48 oz. aluminum can. The empty
cans come in handy for many things besides a charcoal chimney. V8 juice
is also available in small individual cans as are other sorts of juices
and teas.

Sky

P.S. I'm not a coffee connoisseur so nearly any brand works well to
make mocha

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> You can see it he
>
> http://www.gourmet.com/food/2009/02/...y-we-cook?slid
> e=1#showHeader
>
> I get an error when I click on item 2, but I can
> get to item 2 by replacing 1 with 2 in the URL.

I got it by clicking "Next, " Mark. :-) I had no 1 to replace with 2
in the URL.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 9:39*am, "Jean B." > wrote:

> 11. *Overnight freight--yes and no. *I think ideally we need to
> buy local produce etc. and eat in season.

No. No. No.

I don't want to spend half the year eating nothing but parsnips.
The ground is frozen solid for three of those months.

How do you suggest we feed the millions of people who live
in the northern tier of states?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Jill,
Kirkland Brand Coffee sold a costco still sell in a cans.
Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> "Ed Pawlowski" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I'm about he same age as Wayne. Middle class family and AC all the
>> way. I think we were the first on our block. I did not have a
>> dishwasher until I bought my first house at 20. Have not been without
>> one since.

> You're about 10 years older than I am. Remember your first microwave?
> Actually I could live without a microwave but they sure come in handy
> sometimes.
>
> Michael

We didn't get a microwave until about 1985. Now that we have it, we use it
frequently. Serves a purpose, but some things are better cooked
conventionally. The one we have now is also a convection oven and we use it
as a second oven. Handy for big meals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
>> "Ed Pawlowski" >
>> : in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> I'm about he same age as Wayne. Middle class family and AC all the
>>> way. I think we were the first on our block. I did not have a
>>> dishwasher until I bought my first house at 20. Have not been without
>>> one since.

>> You're about 10 years older than I am. Remember your first microwave?
>> Actually I could live without a microwave but they sure come in handy
>> sometimes.
>>
>> Michael

> We didn't get a microwave until about 1985. Now that we have it, we use
> it frequently. Serves a purpose, but some things are better cooked
> conventionally. The one we have now is also a convection oven and we
> use it as a second oven. Handy for big meals.

The small tabletop convection toaster oven does a great job of cooking
small roasts (browning included) in next to no time. Does a superb job
roasting chateaubriand (2 lbs.) in 25 minutes, flipping once.

Not to mention reheating leftover pizza. The microwave would turn it into
some form of cardboard.

Hats off to convection oven cooking!

Andy