Old 31-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Margaret Suran

Default How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
breakfast.

I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
coming out of the oven.

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
way it should be.

Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Old 31-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message

[...]

A buck and a half at the local joint here in the toolies, Margaret, but that
gets you a mediocre pizza (crust like a towel, canned mushrooms, etc). In
new haven it's about 2 bucks and much better, although the premier places
like Sally's and Pepe's don't sell slices.

I'd say you did ok if you had crisp crust and 'the way it should be'.

Jack Pie

Old 31-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Lucas, Peter

Margaret Suran wrote in :

[...]

Not up on the current prices, but I can let you know that back in '94 on
Venice Beach I was paying $1.10 (inc tax) for a slice. So a $1.80
increase over nearly 10 years isn't too bad :-)

Old 31-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Margaret Suran
wrote:
(snip)
I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
way it should be.

Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking that's
at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

Hi Margaret!

Earlier this week I paid Cdn$2.99 plus tax for a slice--it's the same price
for all the varieties (regardless of the number of toppings) at that chain.
That's pretty much standard in Winnipeg, but there's one cheaper pizza chain
that only charges $1.99. The price is reflective of the flavour, though
:-o!

head butts to Tandoora!

rona

Old 01-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Dan Abel

In article , Margaret Suran wrote:

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

It's US$1.79 here on campus. I find it a good deal. In fact, I had a
slice for lunch yesterday. The guy put two slices on the plate, but
before I could say anything he pointed at them and said that they were too
small, so he was giving me two for the price of one.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Old 01-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , Margaret Suran
wrote:
(snip)
I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
way it should be.

Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking that's
at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will bring
home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
there, but we can't get wine or beer of Manhattans. It's your call.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Curly Sue

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:04:19 -0500, Margaret Suran
wrote:

[...]

It depends on how much the beverage was and how big and how good the
pizza is : Anything under $5 for lunch seems pretty reasonable.
Under $4 amazes me.

Sue(tm)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Dave Smith

Margaret Suran wrote:

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
way it should be.

Some of the Italian bakeries around here sell (square) slices of pizza for
$1.25 each. Pizza Pizza sells (double) slices (about 1/6 of a large pizza)
for $2.59-2.99 depending on the toppings.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Margaret Suran

wrote:

[...]

I didn't eat lunch there. I bought a slice for take-out, not to eat
there. It was delicious, but it seemed steep, nevertheless.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Margaret Suran
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , Margaret Suran
wrote: (snip)
I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was
stunned when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it
seems like a lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of
the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice
was delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust,
everything the way it should be.

Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking
that's at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.

It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will bring
home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
there, but we can't get wine or beer of Manhattans. It's your call.

(Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Old 01-11-2003, 02:47 AM
PENMART01

In article , "Lucas, Peter"
writes:

Margaret Suran wrote in :

[...]

Brooklyn, 1958:

Neopolitan-
large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.

Sicilian-
large pie cost $1.40... one slice (1/15 of a large pie) cost 5˘

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 01-11-2003, 03:59 AM
jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
[...]

Oh heavens, Margaret! I have no idea the cost of an individual slice of
pizza. (I'm sure *someone* will slam me for this reply). I can tell you,
the price seems exhorbitant to me, but then, things are much less costly
down here in Tennessee than they are in Manhattan. I would however, expect
to pay at least a dollar for a slice of pizza at a pizzaria simply because
they are mostly (down here) hoping to sell the entire pizza pie, not single
slices.

I hope at least it tasted good

Jill

Old 01-11-2003, 04:27 AM
Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a
lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

Oh heavens, Margaret! I have no idea the cost of an individual slice of
pizza. (I'm sure *someone* will slam me for this reply). I can tell you,
the price seems exhorbitant to me, but then, things are much less costly
down here in Tennessee than they are in Manhattan. I would however, expect
to pay at least a dollar for a slice of pizza at a pizzaria simply because
they are mostly (down here) hoping to sell the entire pizza pie, not single
slices.

I hope at least it tasted good

Jill

I was really good, Jill. I ordered it as a take out. It was crisp,
with good cheeses and very good fresh mushrooms.

The kind of Pizzeria I went to, mostly sells pizzas by the slice. The
pies are huge and the next time I go there, I will count the slices inn
each. The slices are rather large. When the pies come out of the oven,
they are sliced into individual portions right away. There seems to be
more money in slices than in whole pies.

These pizzarias attract people who will buy a slice or two all through
the day. Some people go there for breakfast, not necessarily for pizza,
of course, but some do. Next comes the lunch crowd, especially the
children from neighboring schools. Whole pizzas are mostly delivery
orders, but after school and after work, there is a big crush for more
slices, to eat there or take out. From then on, the place is busy until
after the last movie in the neighborhood closes and everybody goes
home. Until a couple of years ago, the hookers on 86th Street kept some
of such places busy until much later, but I think the Giuliani cleaned
up the street. It's several years since I noticed any hookers accosting
men who passed by.

This is not the only pizza place there, but this is a very popular one.
Their thin crust pizzas are very good, but they are only sold as whole
pies, albeit in three sizes, small, medium and large. If I am too busy
to cook, Marcel will bring a small one home for dinner. That, with a
green salad, is enough for two people. I have never asked how much it
costs.

MS

Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve... Buzinkum General Cooking 46 08-12-2005 05:12 AM
when to slice? santina Sourdough 2 13-11-2005 07:28 AM
fisherman's slice of pizza for kids Rob General Cooking 0 15-11-2003 05:12 PM