FoodBanter.com

-   -   How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1696-how-much-slice-pizza.html)

Margaret Suran 31-10-2003 10:04 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
breakfast.

I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
coming out of the oven.

I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
way it should be.

Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Jack Schidt® 31-10-2003 10:13 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> breakfast.
>
> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

A buck and a half at the local joint here in the toolies, Margaret, but that
gets you a mediocre pizza (crust like a towel, canned mushrooms, etc). In
new haven it's about 2 bucks and much better, although the premier places
like Sally's and Pepe's don't sell slices.

I'd say you did ok if you had crisp crust and 'the way it should be'.

Jack Pie

Lucas, Peter 31-10-2003 10:53 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Margaret Suran > wrote in :

> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> breakfast.
>
> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza

pies,
> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a

lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Not up on the current prices, but I can let you know that back in '94 on
Venice Beach I was paying $1.10 (inc tax) for a slice. So a $1.80
increase over nearly 10 years isn't too bad :-)

Melba's Jammin' 31-10-2003 10:56 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote:
(snip)
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking that's
at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Rona Yuthasastrakosol 31-10-2003 11:03 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

Hi Margaret!

Earlier this week I paid Cdn$2.99 plus tax for a slice--it's the same price
for all the varieties (regardless of the number of toppings) at that chain.
That's pretty much standard in Winnipeg, but there's one cheaper pizza chain
that only charges $1.99. The price is reflective of the flavour, though
:-o!

head butts to Tandoora!

rona

Dan Abel 31-10-2003 11:12 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, Margaret Suran > wrote:

> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

It's US$1.79 here on campus. I find it a good deal. In fact, I had a
slice for lunch yesterday. The guy put two slices on the plate, but
before I could say anything he pointed at them and said that they were too
small, so he was giving me two for the price of one.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Margaret Suran 31-10-2003 11:19 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Margaret Suran >
> wrote:
> (snip)
> > I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> > when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> > but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
> >
> > I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> > restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> > delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> > way it should be.
> >
> > Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

> We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking that's
> at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will bring
home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
there, but we can't get wine or beer of Manhattans. It's your call.

Curly Sue 31-10-2003 11:20 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:04:19 -0500, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

>Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
>around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
>shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
>rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
>breakfast.
>
>I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
>but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
>coming out of the oven.
>
>I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
>when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
>but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
>I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
>restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
>delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
>way it should be.
>
>Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

It depends on how much the beverage was and how big and how good the
pizza is :> Anything under $5 for lunch seems pretty reasonable.
Under $4 amazes me.

Sue(tm)

Dave Smith 31-10-2003 11:54 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Margaret Suran wrote:

> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.

Some of the Italian bakeries around here sell (square) slices of pizza for
$1.25 each. Pizza Pizza sells (double) slices (about 1/6 of a large pizza)
for $2.59-2.99 depending on the toppings.

Margaret Suran 31-10-2003 11:57 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:04:19 -0500, Margaret Suran >
> wrote:
>

> >Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> >around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> >shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> >rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> >breakfast.
> >
> >I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
> >but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> >coming out of the oven.
> >
> >I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> >when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> >but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
> >
> >I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> >restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> >delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> >way it should be.
> >
> >Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

> It depends on how much the beverage was and how big and how good the
> pizza is :> Anything under $5 for lunch seems pretty reasonable.
> Under $4 amazes me.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I didn't eat lunch there. I bought a slice for take-out, not to eat
there. It was delicious, but it seemed steep, nevertheless.

Melba's Jammin' 01-11-2003 12:30 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Margaret Suran
> > > wrote: (snip)
> > > I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was
> > > stunned when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it
> > > seems like a lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of
> > > the country/world?

> > > I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> > > restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice
> > > was delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust,
> > > everything the way it should be.

> > > Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

> > We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking
> > that's at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.

> It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will bring
> home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
> there, but we can't get wine or beer of Manhattans. It's your call.

(Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Lucas, Peter 01-11-2003 12:48 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> (Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

You want to run up a tab on your pizza slices??

I knew they did that in bars, didn't know about pizza places though!! ;-)

PENMART01 01-11-2003 01:47 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, "Lucas, Peter"
> writes:

>Margaret Suran > wrote in :
>

>> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
>> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
>> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
>> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
>> breakfast.
>>
>> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza

>pies,
>> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
>> coming out of the oven.
>>
>> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
>> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a

>lot,
>> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>>
>> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
>> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
>> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
>> way it should be.
>>
>> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

>Not up on the current prices, but I can let you know that back in '94 on
>Venice Beach I was paying $1.10 (inc tax) for a slice. So a $1.80
>increase over nearly 10 years isn't too bad :-)

Brooklyn, 1958:

Neopolitan-
large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.

Sicilian-
large pie cost $1.40... one slice (1/15 of a large pie) cost 5˘

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown 01-11-2003 02:59 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> breakfast.
>
> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza
> pies, but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which
> was just coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a
> lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Oh heavens, Margaret! I have no idea the cost of an individual slice of
pizza. (I'm sure *someone* will slam me for this reply). I can tell you,
the price seems exhorbitant to me, but then, things are much less costly
down here in Tennessee than they are in Manhattan. I would however, expect
to pay at least a dollar for a slice of pizza at a pizzaria simply because
they are mostly (down here) hoping to sell the entire pizza pie, not single
slices.

I hope at least it tasted good :)

Jill

Margaret Suran 01-11-2003 03:27 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

jmcquown wrote:

> > I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> > when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a
> > lot, but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

> Oh heavens, Margaret! I have no idea the cost of an individual slice of
> pizza. (I'm sure *someone* will slam me for this reply). I can tell you,
> the price seems exhorbitant to me, but then, things are much less costly
> down here in Tennessee than they are in Manhattan. I would however, expect
> to pay at least a dollar for a slice of pizza at a pizzaria simply because
> they are mostly (down here) hoping to sell the entire pizza pie, not single
> slices.
>
> I hope at least it tasted good :)
>
> Jill

I was really good, Jill. I ordered it as a take out. It was crisp,
with good cheeses and very good fresh mushrooms.

The kind of Pizzeria I went to, mostly sells pizzas by the slice. The
pies are huge and the next time I go there, I will count the slices inn
each. The slices are rather large. When the pies come out of the oven,
they are sliced into individual portions right away. There seems to be
more money in slices than in whole pies.

These pizzarias attract people who will buy a slice or two all through
the day. Some people go there for breakfast, not necessarily for pizza,
of course, but some do. Next comes the lunch crowd, especially the
children from neighboring schools. Whole pizzas are mostly delivery
orders, but after school and after work, there is a big crush for more
slices, to eat there or take out. From then on, the place is busy until
after the last movie in the neighborhood closes and everybody goes
home. Until a couple of years ago, the hookers on 86th Street kept some
of such places busy until much later, but I think the Giuliani cleaned
up the street. It's several years since I noticed any hookers accosting
men who passed by.

This is not the only pizza place there, but this is a very popular one.
Their thin crust pizzas are very good, but they are only sold as whole
pies, albeit in three sizes, small, medium and large. If I am too busy
to cook, Marcel will bring a small one home for dinner. That, with a
green salad, is enough for two people. I have never asked how much it
costs.

MS

Margaret Suran 01-11-2003 03:35 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article >, "Lucas, Peter"
> > writes:
> >>
> >> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> >> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a

> >lot,
> >> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
> >>
> >> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

> >Not up on the current prices, but I can let you know that back in '94 on
> >Venice Beach I was paying $1.10 (inc tax) for a slice. So a $1.80
> >increase over nearly 10 years isn't too bad :-)

> Brooklyn, 1958:
>
> Neopolitan-
> large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.
>
> Sicilian-
> large pie cost $1.40... one slice (1/15 of a large pie) cost 5˘
>
> Sheldon

I remember when I lived in Washington Heights, around 1963 and the local
pizza place raised the price of a slice to 25 cents. After seeing their
business diminish, they included a medium sized soda or coffee or tea in
the price. It took a long time for all the customers to return. MS

Paula Drennan 01-11-2003 04:34 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

come to think of it, there's a pizza shop on 6th street in Austin, and I
think a slice was almost $4. but it was a HUGE slice on a thick crust. I
think the thin crust was about $2-3 depending on toppings. But it's been
years since I went there, and I had been drinking so I could be quoting the
total price for both me and my friend...But other than mall pizzarias, it's
hard to find a by the slice place round here, I'm in new braunfels.

--
Paula Drennan
In Memory of, Tenzing the Kitty, May 4 - August 1, 2003
"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
: >

Sam D. 01-11-2003 05:18 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message ...

> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> breakfast.
>
> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

In L.A. One dollar at Little Caesars for a medium size slice with cheese & pepperoni which is all they offer and OK quality for a chain. Two dollars at the Costco snack bar for a much larger slice of much better pizza with either the works or with just cheese & pepperoni. Other places it the price can be all over the board.

Frogleg 01-11-2003 11:11 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

wrote:

>I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
>but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
>coming out of the oven.
>
>I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
>when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
>but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

Too many variables to include -- your location, the quality, the price
of an equivalent 'snack', etc. A slightly more relevent comparison
would be to quote the price of the *whole* same-size pie and the
number of slices extracted for individual sale. If an entire pizza ia
$6 and a 1/6th slice was almost $3, it's pretty pricey. If the whole
is priced at $15, $3 seems reasonable. That's only $3 "profit" over
whole pie, and the overhead of 6 separate transactions (*if* they can
sell all the slices) is probably more.

The price of pizza is a scandal, anyhow. :-)

Jack Schidt® 01-11-2003 12:24 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Brooklyn, 1958: (Amazing, where and when I was born)
>
> Neopolitan-
> large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.
>
> Sicilian-
> large pie cost $1.40... one slice (1/15 of a large pie) cost 5˘

And your paycheck was, what, $100/wk?

Jack Retro

[email protected] 01-11-2003 01:33 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In rec.food.cooking, "Jack Schidt?" > wrote:

> And your paycheck was, what, $100/wk?

If he was lucky. His neighbor, Ralph Cramden, made $50/wk around the same
time period.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

PENMART01 01-11-2003 02:24 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Frogleg > writes:

>The price of pizza is a scandal, anyhow. :-)

Actually considering the alternatives nutritionally and price wise pizza is the
best prepared food buy out there... and no one ever contracted a food borne
disease from eating freshly baked pizza.

PENMART01 01-11-2003 02:24 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Jack Schidt®" writes:

>"PENMART01" wrote:
>>
>> Brooklyn, 1958: (Amazing, where and when I was born)
>>
>> Neopolitan-
>> large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.
>>
>> Sicilian-
>> large pie cost $1.40... one slice (1/15 of a large pie) cost 5˘

>And your paycheck was, what, $100/wk?

Back then $100/wk would have been very good pay... minimum wage was $1/hr...
average wage was $1.84/hr - about $75/wk gross or about $50/wk net.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~rdavis2/minwage.html

Hmm, this could well be where you were conceived. LOL
A brand new '58 cost about $2K.
http://store3.yimg.com/I/classic32_1762_2960533

Melba's Jammin' 01-11-2003 03:06 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, "Lucas, Peter"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
> :

> > (Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

> You want to run up a tab on your pizza slices??
>
> I knew they did that in bars, didn't know about pizza places though!! ;-)

<grin> TaB is my beverage of choice -- the original diet cola, made by
the Coca Cola folks. :-) (It's on sale this week 3 cartons for $8.88.
I'll be stocking up.)

limey 01-11-2003 07:58 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message

(snipped)

> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Well, I stopped at a chain pizzeria in the local mall and bought a slice of
pepperoni (from a pizza which looked a little tired) plus a diet Coke and
paid about $4.25.

The pizza was as tired as it looked - in fact, it may have died already, but
I was hungry. The only helpers in that Italian eatery were Indian, Mexican
and Asian, which I thought was pretty funny.

Dora

Margaret Suran 01-11-2003 08:12 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

limey wrote:

> Well, I stopped at a chain pizzeria in the local mall and bought a slice of
> pepperoni (from a pizza which looked a little tired) plus a diet Coke and
> paid about $4.25.
>
> The pizza was as tired as it looked - in fact, it may have died already, but
> I was hungry. The only helpers in that Italian eatery were Indian, Mexican
> and Asian, which I thought was pretty funny.
>
> Dora

Very few pizzerias in New York City are run by Italians any more.
Mostly middle easterners own them now and I think that most of the ones
from where I have eaten pizzas, are doing a credible job. Some Italian
pizzerias are still around, but the help is from all over. My favorite
Italian restaurant has Italian owners, but the chefs, the waiters and
the busboys are from such places as Ecuador, Hungary, Slovakia, Russia
and the good old USA, but not with Italian roots.

I guess that the $2.90 was a fair price for the slice of pizza I had.
Since it was really good, I may even have gotten a bargain. :o)

Barbara said already that she wants to go to the same pizzeria and have
a slice there when she comes to New York next month. I hope that she
will like it, too.

Bob Pastorio 01-11-2003 08:33 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Frogleg wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:04:19 -0500, Margaret Suran >
> wrote:
>

>>I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
>>but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
>>coming out of the oven.
>>
>>I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
>>when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
>>but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?

> Too many variables to include -- your location, the quality, the price
> of an equivalent 'snack', etc. A slightly more relevent comparison
> would be to quote the price of the *whole* same-size pie and the
> number of slices extracted for individual sale. If an entire pizza ia
> $6 and a 1/6th slice was almost $3, it's pretty pricey. If the whole
> is priced at $15, $3 seems reasonable. That's only $3 "profit" over
> whole pie, and the overhead of 6 separate transactions (*if* they can
> sell all the slices) is probably more.
>
> The price of pizza is a scandal, anyhow. :-)

Pizza is the "sweetheart" of food service. Somehow the operators have
been able to convince the American public to pay up to 6 times the
cost of the raw materials for a pizza. Of all major food types, pizza
is far and away the most profitable. The majors manage to get finished
food costs in the low 20+% range even after all their promotions and
discounts. Selling it by the slice is really desirable (assuming you
sell almost all of it) because the unit profit is still higher.
Finished pizza is kept at room temperature and warmed upon order in
ovens that must be on anyway. Typically, a drink (very profitable)
goes with the pizza. Above a minimum threshold of volume, it's a very
good business for the owner.

Pastorio

PENMART01 01-11-2003 09:21 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >, Margaret Suran > writes:

>Very few pizzerias in New York City are run by Italians any more.
>Mostly middle easterners own them now

Manahattan is not all of NYC. There are still lots of pizzerias operated by
Italians in Brooklyn, Queens, and especially Staten Island. Of course American
style pizza has little resemblence to anything called pizza in Italy.

None better: http://www.spumonigardens.com/photos.asp

There's no such thing as "real Italian Pizza":
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0335/sietsema2.php

Nexis 01-11-2003 10:18 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
> around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
> shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
> rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
> breakfast.
>
> I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
> but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
> coming out of the oven.
>
> I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
> when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
> but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
> I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
> restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
> delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
> way it should be.
>
> Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

Not being a big fan of pizza, I don't spend alot of time at the pizza
shops....that being said, there is one shop here that I adore. They make
what is, to my eyes (and tummy) the quintessential, perfect pizza. There, I
only eat the pie when we order a whole one for dinner or whatnot. But I do
know for $5 you get 2 slices and a beverage. Not sure what it is for one
slice, though, and I've never seen anyone in there order just one!
The pizza, by the way, sounds like you'd like it (judging from your post!).
Crisp crust, fresh tomato sauce (made on premises), good fresh cheeses.

kimberly

Rhonda Anderson 01-11-2003 11:35 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >, "Lucas, Peter"
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>> news:barbschaller- :

>> > (Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

>> You want to run up a tab on your pizza slices??
>>
>> I knew they did that in bars, didn't know about pizza places though!!
>> ;-)

> <grin> TaB is my beverage of choice -- the original diet cola, made
> by the Coca Cola folks. :-) (It's on sale this week 3 cartons for
> $8.88. I'll be stocking up.)

I don't think we have TaB here anymore. I know we did when I was young -
maybe the 70s - because we used to have it in the fridge.Mum used to drink
that and a lemon flavoured one - Fresca, maybe or something like that.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia

sf 02-11-2003 01:27 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:12:44 -0500, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> My favorite
> Italian restaurant has Italian owners, but the chefs, the waiters and
> the busboys are from such places as Ecuador, Hungary, Slovakia, Russia
> and the good old USA, but not with Italian roots.

I remember eating in a favorite restaurant years ago on
Fisherman's Wharf - the waiters were Italian and I never
considered that the kitchen would be staffed by anyone other
than Italians. For some reason, I got a glimse of the
kitchen and everyone I saw was Chinese! Now that I think
about it, I shouldn't have been so surprised because
Chinatown is just a few blocks away.

Margaret Suran 02-11-2003 02:17 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:12:44 -0500, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>

> > My favorite
> > Italian restaurant has Italian owners, but the chefs, the waiters and
> > the busboys are from such places as Ecuador, Hungary, Slovakia, Russia
> > and the good old USA, but not with Italian roots.
> >

> I remember eating in a favorite restaurant years ago on
> Fisherman's Wharf - the waiters were Italian and I never
> considered that the kitchen would be staffed by anyone other
> than Italians. For some reason, I got a glimse of the
> kitchen and everyone I saw was Chinese! Now that I think
> about it, I shouldn't have been so surprised because
> Chinatown is just a few blocks away.

n the 1960's or 70's there was a wonderful French restaurant just North
of NYC, in Westchester County. My family and I went there for special
occasions. It was the French in-place at that time, at least for the
people who lived at the norhtern tip of the city.

We get to know the owner quite well. He as not French, he was German.
For a while we thought he might be from Alsace Lorraine or from the
Grench part of Switzerland, but he was a German who had come to the USA
long before WW II.

All his waiters were either Jewish or German and the busboys were
Chinese.

Nobody cared, we all "knew" that the establishment had a wonderful
French chef.

Then we went there to celebrate my cousin's birthday or anniversary.
The chef had outdone himself and my cousin wanted to meet him and thank
him for the wonderful meal he had prepared for us. The owner was happy
to introduce him to us. He went into the kitchen and within minutes he
came out with a broadly smiling.......Chinese man, attired in the
typical chef's white apron and sporting a chef's hat. :o)

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant.

limey 02-11-2003 03:39 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

>In the 1960's or 70's there was a wonderful French restaurant just North
> of NYC, in Westchester County. My family and I went there for special
> occasions. It was the French in-place at that time, at least for the
> people who lived at the norhtern tip of the city.
>
> We get to know the owner quite well. He as not French, he was German.
> For a while we thought he might be from Alsace Lorraine or from the
> Grench part of Switzerland, but he was a German who had come to the USA
> long before WW II.
>
> All his waiters were either Jewish or German and the busboys were
> Chinese.
>
> Nobody cared, we all "knew" that the establishment had a wonderful
> French chef.
>
> Then we went there to celebrate my cousin's birthday or anniversary.
> The chef had outdone himself and my cousin wanted to meet him and thank
> him for the wonderful meal he had prepared for us. The owner was happy
> to introduce him to us. He went into the kitchen and within minutes he
> came out with a broadly smiling.......Chinese man, attired in the
> typical chef's white apron and sporting a chef's hat. :o)
>
> I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant.

That's a lovely story, Margaret :-)

Dora

Harry Demidavicius 02-11-2003 04:29 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:30:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Margaret Suran >
>wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> >
>> > In article >, Margaret Suran

>> > We're going there when I come in 34 days, Margaret. I'm thinking
>> > that's at least a $3 ticket here -- and probably not as tasty.

>> It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will bring
>> home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
>> there, but we can't get wine or beer of Manhattans. It's your call.

>(Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

TaB - oh, right that's" melba-speak" for make it a double this time,
eh? ;0)

Why don't you make your own crust, Margaret?

Harry

Melba's Jammin' 02-11-2003 05:59 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

In article >,
wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:30:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >(Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

> TaB - oh, right that's" melba-speak" for make it a double this time,
> eh? ;0)

Dammit, Boss, when you gonna quit rattin' me out? Was I drinking at the
June 2000 Calgary Soiree? I don't remember that I was.

> Why don't you make your own crust, Margaret?

Cuz she eats like a bird! That's my guess.

BillKirch 02-11-2003 06:48 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

>Brooklyn, 1958:
>
>Neopolitan-
>large pie cost 75˘... one slice (1/8 of a large pie) cost 10˘.

############
New York 1912
cheese slice 4cents
whole pie 15% cents. BG

John Misrahi 02-11-2003 07:23 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

I know some places around town where I can get a pretty good slice for
1.50-1.75 $CAN.
There are of course 0.99$ places but they are really bottom of the
barrel..Fortunately the 0.49$ place shut..I couldn't stand watching people
eat that stuff...Cardboard with a little tomato sauce and melted wax
(cheese? I think not) on top.

john

:

Margaret Suran 02-11-2003 11:12 AM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> >> It's the Piazza Pizza at 2nd Avenue and 86th Street. Marcel will > >> bring
> >> home a thin crust pizza for us. That's really special. Or we can go
> >> there, but we can't get wine or beer or Manhattans. It's your call.

> >(Sausage and mushroom would be nice.) Do they have TaB? "-)

> TaB - oh, right that's" melba-speak" for make it a double this time,
> eh? ;0)
>
> Why don't you make your own crust, Margaret?
>
> Harry

I have never tried it. I have the tiniest kitchen you can imagine, with
no work space at all and I could never make pizza that is as good as the
one I can get in several places near me. Have you seen the average
kitchen in the newer ( built in the past forty years) buildings in
Manhattan? Some apartments have no kitchen at all, just a small alcove
with a double burner and the kind of refrigerator you give your kid to
take along to college. That's why the take-out restaurants and food
shops are doing so well. Some of my neighbors NEVER cook.

Another consideration is, that Barbara and I will not cook anything
except for a pot of coffee every morning. Apart from that, we will go
out to eat or buy stuff to eat at home. We won't have time to do
anything, we have to go to too many restaurants and see too many
things. Cooking is no fun, when there is space for only one person in
the kitchen. :o(

Why don't you come down on December 6th, to see for yourself?

Margaret

Lucas, Peter 02-11-2003 12:18 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
. 1:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, "Lucas, Peter"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
>>> news:barbschaller- :

>>> You want to run up a tab on your pizza slices??
>>>
>>> I knew they did that in bars, didn't know about pizza places
>>> though!! ;-)

>> <grin> TaB is my beverage of choice -- the original diet cola, made
>> by the Coca Cola folks. :-) (It's on sale this week 3 cartons for
>> $8.88. I'll be stocking up.)

> I don't think we have TaB here anymore. I know we did when I was young
> - maybe the 70s - because we used to have it in the fridge.Mum used to
> drink that and a lemon flavoured one - Fresca, maybe or something like
> that.

Tresca? I seem to remember drinking that way back in the dark ages :-)

Deacon 02-11-2003 02:37 PM

How Much Is A Slice Of Pizza?

wrote:

>Today I had several early appointments and found myself on the street
>around two in the afternoon, hungry and not able to go into a coffee
>shop, because I wanted to be at home when the first trick and treaters
>rang my bell. I had not eaten anything except half a mango for
>breakfast.
>
>I went into a small Pizzeria from which I have ordered whole pizza pies,
>but never a slice. I asked for a slice with mushrooms, which was just
>coming out of the oven.
>
>I don't know what I expected, but I have to admit that I was stunned
>when I was told that the slice cost $2.90. To me, it seems like a lot,
>but is it? What do you pay in other parts of the country/world?
>
>I went to an independent Pizza place, not to a fast food chain
>restaurant, what we used to call a "Pizza Parlor". The slice was
>delicious, fresh mushrooms, good cheeses, crispy crust, everything the
>way it should be.
>
>Please, let me know. Thank you, Margaret

The cafeteria at work sells fresh made pizza by the slice (1/6 of a
pie)

$1.80 for cheese
$2.30 for cheese and pepperoni
$3.10 for "gourmet" (extra toppings based on the cooks whim

Around the corner, the local "pizza joint" sells by the slice for
$2.99