Old 14-03-2009, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rosemary uses?

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Old 14-03-2009, 02:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 6:22*am, "cshenk" wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. *What uses to you
all have for rosemary? *Some new ones would be handy!

Years ago, a friend made a rosemary sorbet. Sounds weird, but it was
fantstic. Sorry, I don't have the recipe, but I remember it started
with a syrup made from the rosemary, then that was added to whatever
to make the sorbet. So no, there weren't any rosemary leaves in your
teeth. I'm sure Google would once again be your friend.

Have fun and if you try it, please report how it turned-out.

HTH,

Ken
Old 14-03-2009, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:22:42 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

The combination of rosemary and garlic works well on many foods, e.g.
roast lamb leg, pork tenderloin, potato wedges, to name a few.

Ross.
Old 14-03-2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in :

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to
you all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Dry it?

I've got a jar of dried next to the stove. It looks like it'll last forever.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Old 14-03-2009, 03:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

POPOVERS!!!

Old 14-03-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:22:42 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Tuck twigs of it in the cavity of a roasting chicken, along with some
lemon wedges.

Always lay rosemary in the pan when you roast lamb. Along with garlic,
onion, celery, and carrots.

Make potato and rosemary bread. This one is really good:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...semary%20bread

Jo Anne

Old 14-03-2009, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

My favourite uses include grilling a porto mushroom with olive oil
bastings, cutting into strips while hot (I use a kitchen shears) and
tossing the hot strips into limejuice, minced shallot and minced fresh
RM. Let cool in this mix and eat warm or cold over salad greens.

Mixing minced into dough for focaccia, etc.

Soaking the RM branches in water and then putting them onto the coals
just before shutting down your grilling and letting whatever you have in
there linger and smoke for a bit.

Here is part of an old post with a very tasty use a la focaccia:

This foccacia is fun to make. It is a most sleek dough. The recipe is
from
Secrets of a Jewish Baker by George Greenstein
2 C warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 C olive oil
5-6 C bread or all purp flour (I do 1/2 and 1/2)
2 teas salt

Basically mix it all together, add flour as (k)needed and knead until
silky...about 8 minutes. Transfer to oiled bowl, let double (this goes
quick in a warm place...all that yeast). Punch down.
Divide into two balls. Let rest 15 minutes (I can never wait) and then
roll out, place on a greased baking pan and indent with fingers. Use
topping of choice. (Olive oil, salt, onions, garlic, herbs like sage and
rosemary, tomato paste)
Bake at 375 about 25 minutes.

What I do is to take enough ricotta
to /thinly/ cover half of the bread, mix into it one part sage, one part
parsley or basil, three parts rosemary so that its rather strongly
flavoured with herb, and smear this on one half of the (oiled) dough. I
then fold it over and pinch the edges toether, roll out a little bit (I
start with a very thin dough), make the classic dents, oil the top,
sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and whole fresh rosemary on the top and
then bake.
This is a take-off the "hippy rolls" (from some Americanization of an
Italian treat sold in NYC...I've forgotten the word) I used to eat back
east.
blacksalt
Old 14-03-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:22:42 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Pound it, put it in small envelopes and call it sachet?

Mae West
Old 14-03-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

If you have some thick branches, remove the leaves (you can dry them or
use in other recipes). Soak the stems for a couple of hours then use
them as skewers for grilling meats, chicken or even shrimp.

I had such a bush but Hurricane Dolly killed it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Old 14-03-2009, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 8:22*am, "cshenk" wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. *What uses to you
all have for rosemary? *Some new ones would be handy!

=====================================

Lucky you! I rarely buy fresh rosemaary as it always costs nearly $3
for about an ounce - and I can't buy less!

Use sturdy (washed) rosemary branches for kebab sticks for grilling -
meat, fish etc

Rosemary and roasted new potatoes - toss baby new potatoes (unpeeled)
with evoo and chopped fresh rosemary. Roast.

Rosemary for beef roast [high heat method] . Mix evoo, finely chopped
fresh rosemary and a little coarse ground mustard and salt. Paint meat
and allow to rest 15 min at room temp before roasting.

Lynn in Fargo

Old 14-03-2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Rosemary is good with chicken, pork, or lamb.
You can use long branches of it as skewers for shish-kebab.
Branches laid on the coals makes nice smoke for grilling.

I have a small wreath in my kitchen made from rosemary branches from my
daughter's huge plant when she lived in San Diego. It grows like hedges
there, and is beautiful when it blooms--tiny bright blue flowers all
over the branches.

gloria p
Old 14-03-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:

Make potato and rosemary bread. This one is really good:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...semary%20bread

Jo Anne

I love rosemary but whenever I have had it in bread, it makes the bread
taste moldy to me.

gloria p
Old 14-03-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 9:22 am, "cshenk" wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Mix equal amounts of crushed rosemary leaves, minced garlic, salt,
pepper and olive oil together. Slather the mixture all over a
roasting chicken, inside and out, then roast it. Heavenly.

(It will make your kitchen smell good too!)

--
Silvar Beitel
(very occasional poster)
Old 14-03-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote in message
cshenk wrote:
I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to
you all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Rosemary is good with chicken, pork, or lamb.
You can use long branches of it as skewers for shish-kebab.
Branches laid on the coals makes nice smoke for grilling.

I have a small wreath in my kitchen made from rosemary branches from my
daughter's huge plant when she lived in San Diego. It grows like hedges
there, and is beautiful when it blooms--tiny bright blue flowers all over
the branches.

gloria p

Lamb, lamb and more lamb. Leg of Lamb. Remove all of the fell,
or connective covering. Make slits 1cm deep all over. Insert slivers of
garlic and rosemary into slits. salt all over. Spray gently with PAM. Grill
@ 325F
indirectly over charcoal with a chunk of wood. Turn every fifteen minutes.
You can
start higher and brown before you start, though that's not necessary.
It's one of the great dishes of the world. US lamb is best. The New Zealand
lamb is OK.
With lamb hunger, and the best,

Hugh

Old 14-03-2009, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jo Anne Slaven" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to
you
all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

Tuck twigs of it in the cavity of a roasting chicken, along with some
lemon wedges.

Might do that tonight. Have to defrost something for dinner still.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...semary%20bread

Now that link has some fine ideas! Thanks!

Rosemary Steve B[_7_] General Cooking 47 10-03-2010 02:14 AM
Why is rosemary ............. Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 27 29-12-2009 01:25 AM
rosemary Gill Smith General Cooking 42 12-02-2009 06:14 PM
Rosemary Rice Beth Layman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2005 09:50 PM
Dried rosemary biig General Cooking 17 17-04-2005 11:47 PM