FoodBanter.com

-   -   pizza baking strategy (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/169524-pizza-baking-strategy.html)

[email protected] 14-03-2009 12:16 AM

pizza baking strategy

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? Any other suggestions for avoiding a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

Melba's Jammin' 14-03-2009 12:28 AM

pizza baking strategy

In article
,
wrote:

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? Any other suggestions for avoiding a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

This isn't what you want to hear and it doesn't answer your t&t
question, but I'd bake two smaller pizzas rather than one big one. You
can make a couple different kinds and be eating one while the other
bakes. Cut smaller pieces if you have to in order to make a piece
available to everyone on the first pass. JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

..PL.. 14-03-2009 12:56 AM

pizza baking strategy

wrote in news:[email protected]
41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? Any other suggestions for avoiding a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

Drill holes in the pan.

I have two pizza trays. One 'normal' one with holes. I have to take the pizza
off the 'normal' one to finish cooking the bottom, the one with holes does it
in one shot.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

theron 14-03-2009 01:52 AM

pizza baking strategy

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I agree. If you're used to a stone, a pan will change everything. As Barb
says, make two.

Ed.

[email protected] 14-03-2009 02:00 PM

pizza baking strategy

wrote:

[...]

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.

sf[_9_] 14-03-2009 03:39 PM

pizza baking strategy

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:00:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.

Why don't you get a larger "stone" or line your oven shelf with
unglazed quarry tiles? I prefer tiles myself. They even take on a
glossy black "nonstick" quality after enough uses, provided you don't
break them first.

Mae West

[email protected] 14-03-2009 06:35 PM

pizza baking strategy

wrote:

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. *I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. *I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. *I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. *I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.

Why don't you get a larger "stone" or line your oven shelf with
unglazed quarry tiles? *I prefer tiles myself. *They even take on a
glossy black "nonstick" quality after enough uses, provided you don't
break them first.

Thanks, but not worth the trouble for the few times I'm inclined to
throw pizza parties.