Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Allergy Warnings

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >

> >> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> >> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

> > I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
> >
> > http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
> >
> > FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.
> >

> They've been "back" for ages. I enjoy using them on patients for the
> "fun" the little beasties provide the staff...I feel a bit badly for
> them as they're gonna get sacrificed after that last feast, but, not too
> badly. LOL

Why do you kill them?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote:

> The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
> contrast agents can contain iodine.
> Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
> CT agent by the third go-round.

Some people are genuinely allergic to iodine, but it's unrelated to
seafood allergies.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Obviously one can't know about the reaction until it happens. Not being
> allergic to seafood at all, the reaction to the CT agent surprised me.
> The nursing staff treated the swelling of my arm as an allergic reaction
> after phoning downstairs to find out what the heck the radiologist used
> Still don't know what was used; it isn't in my medical records. Took
> three days for all the swelling to go away.

Sounds like an infiltrate to me. An infiltrate occurs when the injected
fluid seep out into the surrounding tissues instead of remaining in the
circulation system. When some drugs infiltrate the soft tissue,
depending on what the drug is, it might require more aggressive
intervention in dealing with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>
> > The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
> > contrast agents can contain iodine.
> > Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
> > CT agent by the third go-round.

> Sometimes the value of the test has to be weighed against the risk of
> contrast. We can load 'em up with IV Benadryl and other things to lessen
> the allergic response.

Obviously one can't know about the reaction until it happens. Not being
allergic to seafood at all, the reaction to the CT agent surprised me.
The nursing staff treated the swelling of my arm as an allergic reaction
after phoning downstairs to find out what the heck the radiologist used
Still don't know what was used; it isn't in my medical records. Took
three days for all the swelling to go away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>
> > The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
> > contrast agents can contain iodine.
> > Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
> > CT agent by the third go-round.

> Some people are genuinely allergic to iodine, but it's unrelated to
> seafood allergies.
>
> -sw

Not always.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:19:18 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Clearly.

>> you sly dog.

> Close enough.

i would never call you a 'bitch,' honey. that would be *so* unrefined.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:26:32 -0400, Goomba wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>>> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

>> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
>>
>> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.
>>

> They've been "back" for ages. I enjoy using them on patients for the
> "fun" the little beasties provide the staff...I feel a bit badly for
> them as they're gonna get sacrificed after that last feast, but, not too
> badly. LOL

maybe they could make a nice soup or something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:26:32 -0400, Goomba wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:

> >> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
> >>
> >> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
> >>
> >> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.
> >>

> > They've been "back" for ages. I enjoy using them on patients for the
> > "fun" the little beasties provide the staff...I feel a bit badly for
> > them as they're gonna get sacrificed after that last feast, but, not too
> > badly. LOL

> maybe they could make a nice soup or something.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Leech soup...

Bloated with human blood.

Now there is a concept. <eg>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i would never call you a 'bitch,' honey. that would be *so*
> unrefined.

<laugh>

I like the way you think.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
>
> > Obviously one can't know about the reaction until it happens. Not being
> > allergic to seafood at all, the reaction to the CT agent surprised me.
> > The nursing staff treated the swelling of my arm as an allergic reaction
> > after phoning downstairs to find out what the heck the radiologist used
> > Still don't know what was used; it isn't in my medical records. Took
> > three days for all the swelling to go away.

> Sounds like an infiltrate to me. An infiltrate occurs when the injected
> fluid seep out into the surrounding tissues instead of remaining in the
> circulation system. When some drugs infiltrate the soft tissue,
> depending on what the drug is, it might require more aggressive
> intervention in dealing with it.

Could be but it the redness and itching aren't usually characteristic of
an infiltrate. The nurses felt it was an allergic reaction; presumably
they'd know the difference. The injection was very small in volume and
the swelling took time to develop.