Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is your favorite dinner party theme/cuisine?

Christine replied to Lin:

>> You would be most welcome as a guest of the greatest distinction at our
>> table! We'd love to have you.
>>
>>--Lin (setting a place for Christine now)

> I don't want to be just a guest..LOL.
> I want to help cook Bob's birthday dinner.. He shouldn't have to
> do it all!!

HAVE to do it all?

The point of my making the dinner is that I *LIKE* to do it all!

Last year I started procuring ingredients a week ahead of time, and I
started cooking two days before my birthday. I do it all at a leisurely pace
so it's enjoyable rather than stressful or hectic. I make it a point for my
birthday dinners never to include anything I've made before -- it's all an
experiment! (How's THAT for a family tradition?)

For the menu I listed, I have a game plan formulated which starts with a
visit to the Auburn Farmers' Market four days before the dinner. There's
nothing demanding or onerous about it, and to tell the truth, I don't work
well with others in the kitchen when I'm cooking. On the other hand, if you
want to help with the dishes afterward, that would be hugely appreciated!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> Last year I started procuring ingredients a week ahead of time, and I
>> started cooking two days before my birthday. I do it all at a leisurely
>> pace so it's enjoyable rather than stressful or hectic. I make it a point
>> for my birthday dinners never to include anything I've made before --
>> it's all an experiment! (How's THAT for a family tradition?)

> Hey, I include new things all the time on my dinner menus. Sometimes
> they are ALL new things...but sometimes it is something tried and
> true....

Oh, my dinner menus are often a mixture of experiments alongside familiar
dishes. It's just my BIRTHDAY when I make a point of only cooking new
things. I have to say that one of last year's experiments was OUTSTANDING.
(It was the corn cake with a sheet of coriander-pepper bacon, pickled
chiles, maple foam, and crispy onions.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> Ya know, it might be fun to establish a series of dinners like that,
> when I get back up that way. Everything experimental...new dishes,
> etc. Might really stretch our boundaries a bit. Not necessarily
> Alinea type things, but just things that we haven't tried yet.
>
> I have quite a few new cookbooks, which have things that I would love
> try. I don't do it much here, cause I don't have that many folks
> that will eat the things I like...or are not that experimental.

I remember you mentioning that on the chat line some time ago. Count me in!

Just last night I read a recipe for "Black Sea Bass with Fragrant Coconut
Juice" which had me saying, "When can I make this?" (It's in _Asian Flavors
of Jean-Georges_.)

The main impediment to my participating in group activities is the fact that
most of my free time (and sleep time) doesn't align with the free time of
other people.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

>> (It's in _Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges_.)

> Don't have that book..but have a few other newer books...or
> new-to-me...

WHAT??? There's an English-language cookbook you don't have?

Well, don't buy it. I just happened to receive two of them for Christmas
last year.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:35:58 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:29:56 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:
>

>>Just last night I read a recipe for "Black Sea Bass with Fragrant Coconut
>>Juice" which had me saying, "When can I make this?" (It's in _Asian Flavors
>>of Jean-Georges_.)

>Don't have that book..but have a few other newer books...or
>new-to-me...

Is that recipe for sea bass anything like this one?
http://www.bigoven.com/85093-Fish-Sa...-C-recipe.html

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Just last night I read a recipe for "Black Sea Bass with Fragrant
>>> Coconut Juice" which had me saying, "When can I make this?" (It's in
>>> _Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges_.)

> Is that recipe for sea bass anything like this one?
> http://www.bigoven.com/85093-Fish-Sa...-C-recipe.html

No, the recipe I mentioned contains black sea bass on top of a parsnip purée
in a wide shallow bowl, with a dollop of mint-herb sauce off to the side,
and a spiced coconut-juice broth poured around. Coconut juice is the liquid
from inside a coconut; it's not the same as coconut milk.

Bob