Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Corned Beef Brisket was

Not too dry, unlike the corned bottom round I attempted in the post above. I
used the same recipe, repeated below with the following changes.

1. seasonings: I seasoned not according to the amounts in the recipe, but to
the amount of braising liquid required after the meat went into the pot.
Also I, as almost always, used clove, allspice, and black pepper ground
with a mortar and pestle; that is then heated in a small amount of H2O in
the microwave before adding it to the braising liquid.
2, meat: center cut brisket, 4lb; I trimmed as much fat as possible, browned
it in the cooking pot, poured off the fat, and added braising liquid
following.
3. braising liquid:; I used braising liquid from the previous corned beef,
after defatting in separator funnel and straining.
The brisket turned very well, with good taste and the appropriate fall
aparts. The flavor is different, not better or worse, just different. I
particularly like the flavor and sliceability of the bottom round and will
try it again.

4 lbs flat cut corned beef brisket
1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout, draught
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon[see above]
1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice[as above]
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper[as above]
1 head cabbage, cut into wedges, rinsed and drained
6 medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered
1-2 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces

Rinse corned beef under cold water, and pat dry. In a Dutch oven, or other
large pot with a cover, brown corned beef well on
all sides over high heat. Pour Guinness over the meat, and add enough water
to just cover the brisket.
Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper to
the pot. Bring pot to a boil and skim off any foam.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 3 hours. Add carrots, then
potatoes and then the cabbage wedges to the pot.
Cover pot, and continue cooking until meat and vegetables are tender (about
20-30 minutes).

Happy Saint Patrick's Eve*

Hugh

*The "Eve" of St. Pat's day lasts a whole ten days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:33:28 -0700, Hugh wrote:

> Happy Saint Patrick's Eve*
>
> Hugh
>
> *The "Eve" of St. Pat's day lasts a whole ten days.

....or, for some people, about as long as the hangover.

your pal,
blake