Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RFC Cookbook (p. 2002?) - was "A modest proposal"

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Felice" > wrote
>>
>> A big help is doing a tough crossword on a regular basis. It really
>> challenges you to access a lot of words that you haven't used in years
>> but that you know are on your hard drive somewhere. If I can finish the
>> Globe's on Sunday (or the Times if I can scrounge one) I figure I'm OK
>> for the rest of the week.
>>

> How can you compare the x-word puzzle from the Globe to the x-word in the
> Sunday NYT... that's like Little Golden Books to Britannica.

How can you interpret mentioning them in the same sentence as comparing
them?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:35:47 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> They will be. Physically I'm not as agile, but the mental aspects of
>>> life
>>> are better than ever. So far, every decade has been the best yet.
>>> Amazing
>>> how knowledge turns to wisdom with experience.

>> at fifty-six, i'm finding i don't remember some things as quickly, like
>> seeing an actor in a bit part and thinking, 'now, where have i seen him
>> before?' or remembering exactly where some unattributed quote came from.
>> can usually remember, but it takes longer than when i was younger.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> A big help is doing a tough crossword on a regular basis. It really
> challenges you to access a lot of words that you haven't used in years but
> that you know are on your hard drive somewhere. If I can finish the Globe's
> on Sunday (or the Times if I can scrounge one) I figure I'm OK for the rest
> of the week.
>
> Felice

i do the daily one by the crossynergy syndicate, carried in the washington
*post*. i always finish - it's not too tough - but sometimes it's twisty.
a recent clue was 'one who soon will croak' and the answer turned out to be
'tadpole.'

did you see 'wordplay'?

<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492506/>

fun documentary. apparently bill clinton and jon stewart are big will
shortz and NYT puzzle fans.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:50:54 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Felice" > wrote
>>>
>>> A big help is doing a tough crossword on a regular basis. It really
>>> challenges you to access a lot of words that you haven't used in years
>>> but that you know are on your hard drive somewhere. If I can finish the
>>> Globe's on Sunday (or the Times if I can scrounge one) I figure I'm OK
>>> for the rest of the week.
>>>

>> How can you compare the x-word puzzle from the Globe to the x-word in the
>> Sunday NYT... that's like Little Golden Books to Britannica.

> How can you interpret mentioning them in the same sentence as comparing
> them?
>
> Felice

sometimes sheldon's super-brain works too fast for even him to handle.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
>>> The 50s have been great so far. I'm 53 and I don't think I've ever
>>> felt more connected to things. Hope your 50s are as fun ;-) Hopefully
>>> the 60s will be even better.

> It is bittersweet sometimes. The old "if I knew then..." schtick.
>
> Michael

Nah. The past is over, don't dwell on it. Just use your experience to
avoid repeating past mistakes.

The older I get, the more the motto "Don't worry, be happy" (which I
used to hate) makes sense. I used to worry a lot about what people
thought, but now it's more like "Screw 'em, I don't have enough time
left to worry about that".

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crosswords (was Cookbook)

Blake:
>>> at fifty-six, I'm finding I don't remember some things as quickly, like
>>> seeing an actor in a bit part and thinking, 'now, where have I seen him
>>> before?' or remembering exactly where some unattributed quote came from.
>>> can usually remember, but it takes longer than when i was younger.

Felice:
>> A big help is doing a tough crossword on a regular basis. It really
>> challenges you to access a lot of words that you haven't used in years
>> but
>> that you know are on your hard drive somewhere. If I can finish the
>> Globe's
>> on Sunday (or the Times if I can scrounge one) I figure I'm OK for the
>> rest
>> of the week.

Blake:
> i do the daily one by the crossynergy syndicate, carried in the washington
> *post*. i always finish - it's not too tough - but sometimes it's twisty.
> a recent clue was 'one who soon will croak' and the answer turned out to
> be
> 'tadpole.'
>
> did you see 'wordplay'?
> <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492506/>

Felice:
OK, my almost nemesis was (roughly) "something that lowers the pitch". I
kept ransacking my music memory but it turned out to be
"splitfingeredfastball".

Guess I'd better catch "Wordplay". Shortz Rules.

***

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

> apparently bill clinton and jon stewart are big will shortz and NYT puzzle
> fans.

I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine, and
a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him. He's been
doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I think the guy
ought to be a national treasure.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine,
> and a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him.
> He's been doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I
> think the guy ought to be a national treasure.
>
> Bob

Yes!!!! I also subscribed to "Games". I think it's great that
Will Shortz has made a nice career out of this!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:43:23 -0400, Felice wrote:

> Blake:

> Felice:
>>> A big help is doing a tough crossword on a regular basis. It really
>>> challenges you to access a lot of words that you haven't used in years
>>> but
>>> that you know are on your hard drive somewhere. If I can finish the
>>> Globe's
>>> on Sunday (or the Times if I can scrounge one) I figure I'm OK for the
>>> rest
>>> of the week.

> Blake:
>> i do the daily one by the crossynergy syndicate, carried in the washington
>> *post*. i always finish - it's not too tough - but sometimes it's twisty.
>> a recent clue was 'one who soon will croak' and the answer turned out to
>> be
>> 'tadpole.'
>>
>> did you see 'wordplay'?
>> <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492506/>

> Felice:
> OK, my almost nemesis was (roughly) "something that lowers the pitch". I
> kept ransacking my music memory but it turned out to be
> "splitfingeredfastball".
>
> Guess I'd better catch "Wordplay". Shortz Rules.
>
> ***

'wordplay' is a lot of fun. it covers one of the championships.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:56:36 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> apparently bill clinton and jon stewart are big will shortz and NYT puzzle
>> fans.

> I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine, and
> a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him. He's been
> doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I think the guy
> ought to be a national treasure.
>
> Bob

i hear that recently he's become a sudoku maven as well:

Yet here¡¦s the weird thing: If you pump Shortz¡¦s name into Amazon these
days, you won¡¦t find his many crossword books at the top of the list.
You¡¦ll find something else¡Xhis books of Sudoku, the arriviste number puzzle
that became a smash hit last year. Sudoku is the complete antithesis of the
crossword: You fill in a nine-by-nine grid with the numbers one through
nine so that no digit repeats in any column or row¡Xnor can there be any
repeats in any of the nine three-by-three boxes that make up the whole
grid. It may sound complicated, but you can play it even if you¡¦re
completely illiterate¡Xhell, even if you¡¦re innumerate, since Sudoku doesn¡¦t
even require math. It is the ultimate puzzle for a postliterate world.

And it is making Will Shortz a mountain of cash. St. Martin¡¦s, his longtime
crossword publisher, began issuing his Sudoku books last year; it is now a
50-book series that has sold a mind-bending 5 million copies. Across the
board, Sudoku has sold so prodigiously that it has pushed nearly every
crossword book off the best-seller charts of Nielsen¡¦s BookScan. At the end
of May 2005, before the Sudoku storm arrived, a crossword volume was No. 1
on the charts for adult ¡§games¡¨ books, and six of the other 49 titles were
crosswords. One year later, Sudoku had wiped the slate clean: Forty of the
top 50¡Xincluding the top spot¡Xwere Sudoku books, and more than a third of
those were Shortz¡¦s.

<http://nymag.com/arts/all/features/17244/>

go figure.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:05:32 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine,
>> and a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him.
>> He's been doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I
>> think the guy ought to be a national treasure.
>>
>> Bob

>Yes!!!! I also subscribed to "Games". I think it's great that
>Will Shortz has made a nice career out of this!

Are we supposed to know who Will Shortz is?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine,
>>> and a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him.
>>> He's been doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I
>>> think the guy ought to be a national treasure.
>>>

>> Yes!!!! I also subscribed to "Games". I think it's great that
>> Will Shortz has made a nice career out of this!

> Are we supposed to know who Will Shortz is?

Only if you want this conversation to make sense.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Are we supposed to know who Will Shortz is?

Only if you've been following the thread.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:33:56 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

>> Are we supposed to know who Will Shortz is?

>Only if you've been following the thread.

The thread took a boring turn, so I hadn't read it in a while.
Figured out who he was subsequently. This is jog is even more boring,
so I'll KF this and stop looking so stupid.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:05:32 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> I'm also a fan of Will Shortz. I used to subscribe to "Games" magazine,
>>> and a significant number of the puzzles had been put together by him.
>>> He's been doing it for years and years, and he's still going strong. I
>>> think the guy ought to be a national treasure.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Yes!!!! I also subscribed to "Games". I think it's great that
>> Will Shortz has made a nice career out of this!

> Are we supposed to know who Will Shortz is?

You never did a New York Times crossword puzzle?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas

a modest proposal for Dale W., and others... Ronin Wine 1 22-01-2010 06:22 PM
Proposal. RW Vegan 0 18-12-2004 03:19 AM
A Modest Proposal was Chung's insanity redux WAS: How t Charlotte L. Blackmer General Cooking 0 20-11-2004 06:21 PM
A Modest Proposal Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 8 01-03-2004 10:20 PM
A Modest Proposal. [That has nothing to do with eating the Irish] Cameron Lewis Tea 8 23-02-2004 03:50 AM