Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
I'll be sure to take pics this year.

Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
string.

Hard boil.

Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

They really are quite lovely.
I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
babysitting schedule...

Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
> that taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper"
> onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
> my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.
>
> Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> string.
>
> Hard boil.
>
> Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
>
> They really are quite lovely.
> I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
> the babysitting schedule...
>
> Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.

Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
eggs.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
> I'll be sure to take pics this year.
>
> Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> string.
>
> Hard boil.
>
> Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
>
> They really are quite lovely.
> I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> babysitting schedule...
>
> Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

Hmmm. You may have convinced me to try this!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
> > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
> > that taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper"
> > onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
> > my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.

> > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > string.

> > Hard boil.

> > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

> > They really are quite lovely.
> > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
> > the babysitting schedule...

> > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
> imagination. *Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
> a red cabbage leaf. *The egg wound up with a lovely pale
> blue color with veining from the cabbage. *Gorgeous.
>
> Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
> eggs.
>
> nancy

That sounds very interesting! I will try it this year and share with
my "Green Wednesdays" friends! - Rae

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks!

On Mar 1, 9:22*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Mar 1, 7:59 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >> Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
> >> imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
> >> a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
> >> blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.

> >> Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
> >> eggs.

> > *That sounds very interesting! I will try it this year and share with
> > my "Green Wednesdays" friends!

> I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
> right away. *First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
> the red cabbage to make blue eggs. *A different website mentioned
> rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.
>
> If you do it, I hope it turns out well. *Of course, there are other
> natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
> > that taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper"
> > onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
> > my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> >
> > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > string.
> >
> > Hard boil.
> >
> > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> >
> > They really are quite lovely.
> > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
> > the babysitting schedule...
> >
> > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
> imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
> a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
> blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.
>
> Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
> eggs.
>
> nancy

I'll have to try that in addition, thanks! I quit doing easter eggs too
for awhile until my sister moved back from Arizona. Now with the boys, I
have incentive again. :-) They are three and six and they've been
letting me babysit a lot more on weekends lately. I love it.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> > taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> > that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
> > I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> >
> > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > string.
> >
> > Hard boil.
> >
> > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> >
> > They really are quite lovely.
> > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> > babysitting schedule...
> >
> > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> Hmmm. You may have convinced me to try this!

They come out marbled, sometimes with striations from the skin pattern
in yellow, orange and rust color.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
wrote:

> On Mar 1, 7:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> > > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
> > > that taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper"
> > > onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
> > > my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.

> > > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > > string.

> > > Hard boil.

> > > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

> > > They really are quite lovely.
> > > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
> > > the babysitting schedule...

> > > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> > Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
> > imagination. *Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
> > a red cabbage leaf. *The egg wound up with a lovely pale
> > blue color with veining from the cabbage. *Gorgeous.
> >
> > Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
> > eggs.
> >
> > nancy

> That sounds very interesting! I will try it this year and share with
> my "Green Wednesdays" friends! - Rae

If you want to try the onion skins, mom would get extra ones from the
grocery store. The onion bins always have plenty of extra "shed" paper
skins which are what you need.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't pickled eggs in a while, but when I did - beets and beet
juice. Eggs in the shell, but cracked. Pretty patterns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:06*am, Omelet > wrote:
> > If you do it, I hope it turns out well. *Of course, there are other
> > natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

Oh, what a great treat for my eldest grand daughter and her generation
to give to their Mom's already zealous Easter Day festivities. Each
year my daughter cooks big, and also plans the biggest easter egg hunt
(with prizes) ever, for not just her five twelve to twenty-three year
olds, but many of their friends as well. The three married "sets" of
grands are each having hard economic times, so this will be nice for
them to give back with. Thank you Om and Nancy, I've just "named" and
sent the following to the eldest gran, my Baker Babe, Tiara, and her
wannabe Chef husband....

We know what an Easter freak mom is, so here's something inexpensive
and you and Scott or your sisters can do for her. Surprise her the
day before Easter with setting a pretty bowl of these on her table.
Maybe even line the bowl with an entire bunch of fresh parsley....

Antique Easter Egg Dying

Start right now with saving the "paper" onion skins that it
takes to do this. Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with
cheese cloth and cotton string. Hard boil. Unwrap, let cool
and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

They really are quite pretty. They come out marbled, sometimes
with striations from the skin pattern in yellow, orange and
rust colors.

Another lovely way to antique eggs is to wrap them in purple
cabbage leaves. No cheese cloth needed. String tie, or just
use rubber bands to fasten.

If you want to try the onion skins, get extra ones from the
grocery store. The onion bins always have plenty of extra
"shed" paper skins which are what you need.

Love you and of course I miss you BIG....Nana

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
> I'll be sure to take pics this year.
>
> Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> string.
>
> Hard boil.
>
> Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
>
> They really are quite lovely.
> I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> babysitting schedule...
>
> Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?
> --

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,
rather than the shells.

Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
>> right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
>> the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
>> rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.
>>
>> If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
>> natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

> That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
> make a good pink shell?

Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:

Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes. Follow
with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes. Follow
with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> > > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
> > > that taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper"
> > > onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
> > > my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> > >
> > > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > > string.
> > >
> > > Hard boil.
> > >
> > > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> > >
> > > They really are quite lovely.
> > > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
> > > the babysitting schedule...
> > >
> > > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> > Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
> > imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
> > a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
> > blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.
> >
> > Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
> > eggs.
> >
> > nancy

> I'll have to try that in addition, thanks! I quit doing easter eggs too
> for awhile until my sister moved back from Arizona. Now with the boys, I
> have incentive again. :-) They are three and six and they've been
> letting me babysit a lot more on weekends lately. I love it.

It has already been decided that the new nephew will spend summers here
in RI with Keyron and I. Thank goodness, growing up in the suburbs of NC
if one could call them that would be enough to make a poor soul crazy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> I haven't pickled eggs in a while, but when I did - beets and beet
> juice. Eggs in the shell, but cracked. Pretty patterns.

<laughs. That sounds like fun! I've made pickled eggs, but not in the
shell.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> > taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> > that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
> > I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> >
> > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > string.
> >
> > Hard boil.
> >
> > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> >
> > They really are quite lovely.
> > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> > babysitting schedule...
> >
> > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?
> > --

> Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
> simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,
> rather than the shells.

They tend to leak thru the shell anyway. <g> That kind of thing is fun
for party deviled eggs.

> Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

A bit. They don't come out as heavily colored.

> The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
> extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
> it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
> egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.

<laughs> The flavor of the onion skins DOES leak into the eggs. It's
rather pleasant. :-d
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
> >> right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
> >> the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
> >> rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.
> >>
> >> If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
> >> natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

> > That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
> > make a good pink shell?

> Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
>
> Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
> Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
> Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes. Follow
> with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes. Follow
> with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

And I have found that onion dying flavors the eggs slightly, in a
positive way.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
>>> right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
>>> the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
>>> rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.
>>>
>>> If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
>>> natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

>> That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
>> make a good pink shell?

> Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
>
> Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
> Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
> Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
> Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> Follow with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

Black tea can produce black eggs, and there's a Russian technique for
layering the tea stain with layers of various colored wax and then sort
of "etching" the eggs with various designs. A variation is to paint a
design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
shell. So all very delicate to produce.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:19:10 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
>I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

I've just used food coloring and vinegar. It works fine. Back to the
onion skins... I've never done it, but I vaguely remember someone
putting fern leaves against the egg shell before wrapping them. It
was very pretty.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
> >> make a good pink shell?

> > Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
> >
> > Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> > Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
> > Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
> > Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> > Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> > Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> >

> Black tea can produce black eggs, and there's a Russian technique for
> layering the tea stain with layers of various colored wax and then sort
> of "etching" the eggs with various designs.

That's called "Pysanki". I used to sell clean blown duck eggshells for
that on ebay. It's not generally done on raw or hard boiled eggs. <g>
Too time consuming.

> A variation is to paint a
> design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
> water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
> black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
> shell. So all very delicate to produce.
> --
> JL

See above.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:19:10 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
> >I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

> I've just used food coloring and vinegar. It works fine. Back to the
> onion skins... I've never done it, but I vaguely remember someone
> putting fern leaves against the egg shell before wrapping them. It
> was very pretty.

Oh that might be fun! My fern died a couple of years ago tho' and I've
not replaced it.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> > Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
> >
> > Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30
> > minutes. Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30
> > minutes. Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30
> > minutes. Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30
> > minutes. Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution,
> > 30 minutes. Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution
> > overnight. Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30
> > minutes. Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> > Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30
> > minutes. Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> > Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

> As cool as this all sounds I have to ask myself if I would even bother.
> At this point I'll say nah. I just don't have any reason to go to all
> that trouble. I will say the royal blue and the salmon colors sound
> pretty nifty
>
> Michael

If you have no children to share this with, then I'd say no, no reason
to bother. I have nephews. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:

> Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:
>
> > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

> Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

<grins> Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-)
I've not tried making them yet.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:54*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *bulka > wrote:
> > On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:

> > > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

> > Dammit people! *We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> > Now I've got to make tea eggs. *Jeeze!

> <grins> Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-) *
> I've not tried making them yet.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

==================================
I made those once for a Passover seder. They had anise in the water
and vinegar other things. You broke the shells after they were hard
boiled in tea and stuff and soaked them in another "pickling" liquid.
Gorgeous - like Italian marble.
Lynn in Fargo
Used to get pale blue and green and beige chicken eggs from a farmer
friend. Wish I'd blown the shells.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:
>

>>Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

> Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

*chuckle* rough life
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>>A variation is to paint a
>>design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
>>water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
>>black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
>>shell. So all very delicate to produce.
>>--
>>JL

> See above.

With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
fancy.

From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
ribbons and little glass gems

Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
little hole you could look through to see the inside.

But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
(sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.

And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:33*am, Omelet > wrote:
> I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews. *
> I'll be sure to take pics this year.
>
> Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> string.
>
> Hard boil.
>
> Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
>
> They really are quite lovely.
> I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> babysitting schedule...
>
> Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

I use onion skins all the time to differentiate my boiled from raw
eggs (DH has a real problem telling the difference--and yes, he knows
about spinning). I just save up the skins for a week or so, put them
in the bottom of the pot, put the eggs on top and cover with water.
Bring to a boil, let sit, and then quick-chill. Lovely yellow eggs.

Tea bags will give the eggs a taupe color. Saffron does not give the
shells any color. (at least, not the amount I'm willing to toss in).
Beets will give you a lovely pale pink. Add some baking soda to the
water and they'll turn blue.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 4:34*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
>

> > > Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:

> > > Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > > Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > > Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > > Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30
> > > minutes. Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30
> > > minutes. Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30
> > > minutes. Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30
> > > minutes. Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution,
> > > 30 minutes. Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution
> > > overnight. Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30
> > > minutes. Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> > > Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30
> > > minutes. Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> > > Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > > Follow with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

> > As cool as this all sounds I have to ask myself if I would even bother.
> > At this point I'll say nah. *I just don't have any reason to go to all
> > that trouble. *I will say the royal blue and the salmon colors sound
> > pretty nifty

> > Michael

> If you have no children to share this with, then I'd say no, no reason
> to bother. *I have nephews. :-)

Oh heavens! It's fun. no reason to waste it all on the young<g>.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> On Mar 1, 3:54*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > *bulka > wrote:

> > > Dammit people! *We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> > > Now I've got to make tea eggs. *Jeeze!

> > <grins> Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-) *
> > I've not tried making them yet.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
> > judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

> ==================================
> I made those once for a Passover seder. They had anise in the water
> and vinegar other things. You broke the shells after they were hard
> boiled in tea and stuff and soaked them in another "pickling" liquid.
> Gorgeous - like Italian marble.
> Lynn in Fargo
> Used to get pale blue and green and beige chicken eggs from a farmer
> friend. Wish I'd blown the shells.

Aracauna eggs. Those were some of my favorite chickens back when I had
poultry. :-) The pale blue-green eggshells were also interesting when
onion skin dyed.

I'll have to try those tea eggs next time I'm assigned a potluck dish.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> >

> >>A variation is to paint a
> >>design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
> >>water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
> >>black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
> >>shell. So all very delicate to produce.
> >>--
> >>JL

> > See above.

> With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
> fancy.
>
> From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
> ribbons and little glass gems
>
> Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

There are lists dedicated to egg decorating. I still have a bunch of
(clean blown) emu shells stored in the shed. I used to sell them on
ebay. I'll probably eventually sell what is left on Craig's list, or
decorate a few myself. I have a few Ostrich shells stashed somewhere
too.

> I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
> easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
> little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
> little hole you could look through to see the inside.

So cool. :-)

> But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
> (sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
> mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
> when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.
>
> And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
> give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
> --
> JL

I saw some of those many, many years ago, but not for awhile.

I've seen some amazing egg art from Ostrich, emu, Rhea, goose and duck
shells!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine > wrote:

> On Mar 1, 3:33*am, Omelet > wrote:
> > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> > taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> > that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews. *
> > I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> >
> > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > string.
> >
> > Hard boil.
> >
> > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> >
> > They really are quite lovely.
> > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> > babysitting schedule...
> >
> > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

> I use onion skins all the time to differentiate my boiled from raw
> eggs (DH has a real problem telling the difference--and yes, he knows
> about spinning). I just save up the skins for a week or so, put them
> in the bottom of the pot, put the eggs on top and cover with water.
> Bring to a boil, let sit, and then quick-chill. Lovely yellow eggs.

But that won't "pattern" them like wrapping them will. :-)

> Tea bags will give the eggs a taupe color. Saffron does not give the
> shells any color. (at least, not the amount I'm willing to toss in).
> Beets will give you a lovely pale pink. Add some baking soda to the
> water and they'll turn blue.
>
> maxine in ri

Blue with beet juice? I'll have to try that. How much baking soda to
how much water please?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine > wrote:

> > If you have no children to share this with, then I'd say no, no reason
> > to bother. *I have nephews. :-)

> Oh heavens! It's fun. no reason to waste it all on the young<g>.
>
> maxine in ri

If you enjoy doing it for yourself, go for it. <g>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> > >
> > > I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> > > taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> > > that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
> > > I'll be sure to take pics this year.
> > >
> > > Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> > > string.
> > >
> > > Hard boil.
> > >
> > > Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
> > >
> > > They really are quite lovely.
> > > I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> > > babysitting schedule...
> > >
> > > Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?
> > > --

> > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
> > simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,
> > rather than the shells.

> They tend to leak thru the shell anyway. <g> That kind of thing is fun
> for party deviled eggs.
>

> > Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

> A bit. They don't come out as heavily colored.

Interesting.

> > The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
> > extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
> > it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
> > egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.

> <laughs> The flavor of the onion skins DOES leak into the eggs. It's
> rather pleasant. :-d
> --

Then maybe skip the baking soda one, yes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:
>
> > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

> Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

LOL sorry. They are one of my favourite snacks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> On Mar 1, 3:54 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > bulka > wrote:

> > > Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> > > Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

> > <grins> Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-)
> > I've not tried making them yet.
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

> ==================================
> I made those once for a Passover seder. They had anise in the water
> and vinegar other things. You broke the shells after they were hard
> boiled in tea and stuff and soaked them in another "pickling" liquid.
> Gorgeous - like Italian marble.
> Lynn in Fargo
> Used to get pale blue and green and beige chicken eggs from a farmer
> friend. Wish I'd blown the shells.

Now that's a different sort of tea egg. Have never made them with
vinegar and never pickled them after.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
> > > simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,
> > > rather than the shells.

> > They tend to leak thru the shell anyway. <g> That kind of thing is fun
> > for party deviled eggs.
> >

> > > Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

> > A bit. They don't come out as heavily colored.

> Interesting.
>

> > > The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
> > > extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
> > > it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
> > > egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.

> > <laughs> The flavor of the onion skins DOES leak into the eggs. It's
> > rather pleasant. :-d
> > --

> Then maybe skip the baking soda one, yes?

I've not tried that so I cannot say. :-)

Someone posted that beet juice will make blue eggs if I add soda.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 10:32 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> bulka wrote:
>
> > On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London > wrote:

> > > Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

> > Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> > Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

> LOL sorry. They are one of my favourite snacks.

There are just a few soaking. I think I did this once a hundred years
ago. Family members don't get it , but I'm looking forward to a snack
Monday.

Thanks for the reminder, Arri.

Easter Ham ImStillMags General Cooking 9 02-04-2013 05:20 AM
Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] General Cooking 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
natural-dyed Easter eggs serene General Cooking 23 19-04-2006 02:42 PM