Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

bulka wrote:

> Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

Fortunately, they're pretty easy to make. Reading over this thread, I'm
wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> bulka wrote:
>
> > Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

> Fortunately, they're pretty easy to make. Reading over this thread, I'm
> wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?
>
> Bob

Y'know, that is a seriously awesome idea. :-) And makes me more glad
than ever that I started this thread for different views...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> On Mar 1, 10:32 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> > bulka wrote:

> > > Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
> > > Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

> > LOL sorry. They are one of my favourite snacks.

> There are just a few soaking. I think I did this once a hundred years
> ago. Family members don't get it , but I'm looking forward to a snack
> Monday.
>
> Thanks for the reminder, Arri.

YVW. Always glad to help out another aficionado
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> > bulka wrote:
> >
> > > Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

> > Fortunately, they're pretty easy to make. Reading over this thread, I'm
> > wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> > application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?
> >
> > Bob

> Y'know, that is a seriously awesome idea. :-) And makes me more glad
> than ever that I started this thread for different views...
> --

The eggs would likely end up tasting like mulled wine. Could work. Would
look nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 7:13 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > > Fortunately, they're pretty easy to make. Reading over this thread, I'm
> > > wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> > > application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?

> > > Bob

> > Y'know, that is a seriously awesome idea. :-) And makes me more glad
> > than ever that I started this thread for different views...
> > --

> The eggs would likely end up tasting like mulled wine. Could work. Would
> look nice.

My first attempt at tea eggs was - interesting. Very mottled, some
cracks.

More subltle flavor and less penetration than I had imagined. Good,
though. Between boiling them enough to crack the shell, and thinking
I needed a hot marinade, may have been a little overcooked.

Working on the mulled wine eggs now. Gonna try to craze the shells at
the earliest possible moment. Just heat the wine and spices and let
it steep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?
>
> Bob

Yummy! Mulled Eggs!! "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 4:26 pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> > wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> > application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?

> > Bob

> Yummy! Mulled Eggs!! "-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

They are OK. Pretty. My whites were purple, against the birght
yellow yolks. Still subtle - tasted more of the spices than wine, and
mostly like egg.

There could be an exact timing issue - when the white is firm enough
that the shell could be cracked, but still un-set enough to get the
most from the marinade. Maybe a longer colder soak so the eggs don't
get rubbery. Maybe a stronger bath. Or maybe I could learn to
appreciate subtlety.

Could be poached in wine or tea or broth or juice, but that would lose
the wierd easter egg appeal.

I see it as a novelty dish. Fun to bring to a potluck picknik. Or
just pickle 'em w/ beets - that's pretty, too. Could be a great
platter of boiled eggs - brown tea, two shades of purple, maybe some
light onion and brighter tumeric. Lots of green choices. How would
you feel about mint or cilantro eggs? Some kind of hot sauce red?

Would some sort of injection be cheating? Flavors within flavors.
Would the pin-hole compromise in the shell make that wierd blobular
extrusion that sometimes happens when the shell cracks? Would that
be bad, or interesting in context?

Ok. I'm ready to set up the lab. Just need to be invited to the
right Easter picknik and raid the henhouse.

Thanks y'all. I'd never heard of tea eggs before this thread. Now I
seem to be insane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> Ok. I'm ready to set up the lab. Just need to be invited to the
> right Easter picknik and raid the henhouse.
>
> Thanks y'all. I'd never heard of tea eggs before this thread. Now I
> seem to be insane.

So many eggs, so little time. <lol>

Easter Ham ImStillMags General Cooking 9 02-04-2013 05:20 AM
Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] General Cooking 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
natural-dyed Easter eggs serene General Cooking 23 19-04-2006 02:42 PM