Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article ,
says...

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Omelet wrote:

I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one
that taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper"
onion skins that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to
my nephews. I'll be sure to take pics this year.

Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
string.

Hard boil.

Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

They really are quite lovely.
I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on
the babysitting schedule...

Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.

Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
eggs.

nancy

I'll have to try that in addition, thanks! I quit doing easter eggs too
for awhile until my sister moved back from Arizona. Now with the boys, I
have incentive again. :-) They are three and six and they've been
letting me babysit a lot more on weekends lately. I love it.

It has already been decided that the new nephew will spend summers here
in RI with Keyron and I. Thank goodness, growing up in the suburbs of NC
if one could call them that would be enough to make a poor soul crazy.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
bulka wrote:

I haven't pickled eggs in a while, but when I did - beets and beet
juice. Eggs in the shell, but cracked. Pretty patterns.

laughs. That sounds like fun! I've made pickled eggs, but not in the
shell.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Arri London
wrote:

Omelet wrote:

I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
taught me that trick. :-) I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews.
I'll be sure to take pics this year.

Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
string.

Hard boil.

Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

They really are quite lovely.
I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
babysitting schedule...

Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?
--

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before
simmering in the tea/soy sauce/spices mix. The eggs come out marbled,

They tend to leak thru the shell anyway. g That kind of thing is fun
for party deviled eggs.

Ever try your method with red onion skins? Just curious.

A bit. They don't come out as heavily colored.

The colours of eggs dyed with red cabbage can be manipulated to some
extent. Vinegar (acid) will keep it redder, more neutral solutions keeps
it purple, baking soda (alkaline) will turn it greener. No idea what an
egg steeped in baking soda would taste like, however LOL.

laughs The flavor of the onion skins DOES leak into the eggs. It's
rather pleasant. :-d

Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Omelet wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote:

I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
right away. First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
the red cabbage to make blue eggs. A different website mentioned
rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.

If you do it, I hope it turns out well. Of course, there are other
natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
make a good pink shell?

Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:

Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes. Follow
with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes. Follow
with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.

Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

And I have found that onion dying flavors the eggs slightly, in a
positive way.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
Omelet wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote:

[...]

Black tea can produce black eggs, and there's a Russian technique for
layering the tea stain with layers of various colored wax and then sort
of "etching" the eggs with various designs. A variation is to paint a
design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
shell. So all very delicate to produce.
--
JL

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:19:10 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

I've just used food coloring and vinegar. It works fine. Back to the
onion skins... I've never done it, but I vaguely remember someone
putting fern leaves against the egg shell before wrapping them. It
was very pretty.

Mae West
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:
Omelet wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote:

[...]

That's called "Pysanki". I used to sell clean blown duck eggshells for
that on ebay. It's not generally done on raw or hard boiled eggs. g
Too time consuming.

A variation is to paint a
design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
shell. So all very delicate to produce.
--
JL

See above.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Thanks for this Nancy. I'm going to store this!
I've had miserable luck with "Paas" kits.

I've just used food coloring and vinegar. It works fine. Back to the
onion skins... I've never done it, but I vaguely remember someone
putting fern leaves against the egg shell before wrapping them. It
was very pretty.

Oh that might be fun! My fern died a couple of years ago tho' and I've
not replaced it.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

[...]

As cool as this all sounds I have to ask myself if I would even bother.
At this point I'll say nah. I just don't have any reason to go to all
that trouble. I will say the royal blue and the salmon colors sound
pretty nifty

Michael

If you have no children to share this with, then I'd say no, no reason
to bother. I have nephews. :-)

Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London wrote:

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
bulka wrote:

On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London wrote:

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

grins Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-)
I've not tried making them yet.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:54*pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

*bulka wrote:
On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London wrote:

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

Dammit people! *We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
Now I've got to make tea eggs. *Jeeze!

grins Pastorio used to serve those at some of his fancier buffets. :-) *
I've not tried making them yet.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

==================================
I made those once for a Passover seder. They had anise in the water
and vinegar other things. You broke the shells after they were hard
boiled in tea and stuff and soaked them in another "pickling" liquid.
Gorgeous - like Italian marble.
Lynn in Fargo
Used to get pale blue and green and beige chicken eggs from a farmer
friend. Wish I'd blown the shells.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
On Mar 1, 11:57 am, Arri London wrote:

Does making 'tea eggs' count? The shells need to be cracked before

Dammit people! We don't eat as much here as I want to cook as it is.
Now I've got to make tea eggs. Jeeze!

*chuckle* rough life
--
JL

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

A variation is to paint a
design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
shell. So all very delicate to produce.
--
JL

See above.

With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
fancy.

From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
ribbons and little glass gems

Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
little hole you could look through to see the inside.

But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
(sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.

And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
--
JL

Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:33*am, Omelet wrote:
I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews. *
I'll be sure to take pics this year.

Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
string.

Hard boil.

Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.

They really are quite lovely.
I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
babysitting schedule...

Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

I use onion skins all the time to differentiate my boiled from raw
eggs (DH has a real problem telling the difference--and yes, he knows
about spinning). I just save up the skins for a week or so, put them
in the bottom of the pot, put the eggs on top and cover with water.
Bring to a boil, let sit, and then quick-chill. Lovely yellow eggs.

Tea bags will give the eggs a taupe color. Saffron does not give the
shells any color. (at least, not the amount I'm willing to toss in).
Beets will give you a lovely pale pink. Add some baking soda to the
water and they'll turn blue.

maxine in ri

Easter Ham ImStillMags General Cooking 9 02-04-2013 05:20 AM
Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] General Cooking 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
natural-dyed Easter eggs serene General Cooking 23 19-04-2006 02:42 PM