Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - RIP Paul Harvey

http://wabcradio.com/news.asp?c=5145...LATE%3DDEFAULT

http://www.paulharvey.com

"In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times
like these."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> http://wabcradio.com/news.asp?c=5145...LATE%3DDEFAULT
>
> http://www.paulharvey.com
>
> "In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times
> like these."
>
> The Ranger

And another one bites the dust....
Damn but, I'm beginning to feel old...

Bye Paul.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:

How do we get George Will on the list?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
news
> On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:
>
> How do we get George Will on the list?

I'm not familiar with his work; is he neo-conservative or screaming-pink?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> http://wabcradio.com/news.asp?c=5145...LATE%3DDEFAULT
>>
>> http://www.paulharvey.com
>>
>> "In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been
>> times like these."
>>

> And another one bites the dust....
> Damn but, I'm beginning to feel old...
>
> Bye Paul.

I used to listen to him on KXRX 1500 during the 70s and loved his afternoon
pieces. That. Deliver of. His. Was and always will be. HIS. Trademark. And
that was Paul Harvey.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:

> I'm not familiar with his work; is he neo-conservative or screaming-pink?

Neither. He's an archconservative pundit and baseball fanatic. Unlike
fellow moron pundits like Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, he actually has a
brain. Unfortunately, he rarely uses it, never smiles (some sort of
childhood trauma?), and reduces all his political views to useless
baseball-style stats. I think he's got something on ABC's mgt, as he's been
on ABCs This Week longer than at least two well known hosts, for no reason I
can tell.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:00*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with his work; is he neo-conservative or screaming-pink?

> Neither. *He's an archconservative pundit and baseball fanatic. *Unlike
> fellow moron pundits like Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, he actually has a
> brain. *Unfortunately, he rarely uses it, never smiles (some sort of
> childhood trauma?), and reduces all his political views to useless
> baseball-style stats. *I think he's got something on ABC's mgt, as he's been
> on ABCs This Week longer than at least two well known hosts, for no reason
> I can tell.

Remember that Ramones song?
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ramon...oseeyougo.html

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

[...]

Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
school...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> I used to listen to him on KXRX 1500 during the 70s and loved his afternoon
> pieces. That. Deliver of. His. Was and always will be. HIS. Trademark. And
> that was Paul Harvey.

One of my favorite Guindon cartoons was of two old ladies
and one is saying "And then he says 'This is Paul Harvey'
and there's this long pause while the tension builds and
builds until you think you're about to explode and he
says 'Good Day!". I'm limp."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" >
> m: in rec.food.cooking
>

> > The Ranger wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >

> > Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
> > dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
> > school...

> Well, If you can't say anything good about the dead... Paul Harvey is

dead.
> Good.

Darling, I believe that Bette Davis said that upon Joan Crawford's demise...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well some of us old farts liked him. Different strokes etc..

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
> dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
> school...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" >
> m: in rec.food.cooking
>

> > Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> >
> >> "Gregory Morrow" >
> >> m: in
> >> rec.food.cooking

> >> Well, If you can't say anything good about the dead... Paul Harvey is

> > dead.
> >> Good.

> > Darling, I believe that Bette Davis said that upon Joan Crawford's
> > demise...

> I *knew* it was a quote but I couldn't place where I'd heard it. Lovely
> for you to tell me. I'm sure I'll be using it again soon ;-)

Bette was The Woman Of A Million Maledictions...

;-)

Wonder who
> in the Harvey set will be next? Maybe Rush from a booze and pill
> overdose?

Rush was lookin' pretty porky when I saw him speaking at that GOP confab on
teevee yesterday

Oh... I'll put $5 on Ted Haggard... It'll be suicide or
> perhaps one of the bitter queens he screwed over will butcher him in his
> sleep.

Haggard doesn't need to croak, he is already living in a Hell - of his own
making...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> http://wabcradio.com/news.asp?c=5145...LATE%3DDEFAULT
>
> http://www.paulharvey.com
>
> "In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times
> like these."
>
> The Ranger

I enjoyed Paul Harvey stories, and the lilt of his voice. Then he started
hawking that overpriced quartz heater, and I knew he was just a paid
prostitute with good stories and a lilt in his voice.

He will be missed.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-02, SteveB > wrote:

>> The Ranger

> I enjoyed Paul Harvey stories, and the lilt of his voice. Then he started
> hawking that overpriced quartz heater, and I knew he was just a paid
> prostitute with good stories.....

What amazed me (I kinda liked him) was his penchant for picking the most
questionable products. Bose? I wouldn't pay eight cents for their junk.
Other products he hawked were just as bogus. Was he that stupid or did the
flim-flammers jes pay more?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:34*pm, "SteveB" > wrote:

> I enjoyed Paul Harvey stories, and the lilt of his voice. *Then he started
> hawking that overpriced quartz heater, and I knew he was just a paid
> prostitute with good stories and a lilt in his voice.

He lost his credibility with me years ago. And yes, he would hawk
_anything_ for a buck. It was always "this week-end I used/did/went
__________________ (fill in the blank)." I know he will be missed by
many and his family is crushed, but as far as a news commentator he
was not someone I would believe or care to listen to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:

> I enjoyed Paul Harvey stories, and the lilt of his voice. Then he started
> hawking that overpriced quartz heater, and I knew he was just a paid
> prostitute with good stories and a lilt in his voice.

It's awful and sad - somewhere along the line Paul Harvey was corrupted
and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason
for being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb
vacuum cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

> He will be missed.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> It's awful and sad - somewhere along the line Paul Harvey was corrupted
> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason for
> being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb vacuum
> cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

He was a huckster, but still interesting to listen to. Sort of like a
neighbor talking over the fence with the latest story from town. I trusted
him to a point, but still made up my own mind as to what I should buy, but
celebrities do sell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-02, dsi1 > wrote:

> It's awful and sad - somewhere along the line Paul Harvey was corrupted
> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason
> for being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb
> vacuum cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

Oh ....hah hah. You are joking with me by using sarcasm. Oh boy, the joke
is on me. You started out agreeing with me, then changed your mind. Ho!
Ha ha ha.... Wow. You are so clever. It is so funny.... ha ha...

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 9:22*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-03-02, SteveB > wrote:
>
> >> The Ranger

> > I enjoyed Paul Harvey stories, and the lilt of his voice. *Then he started
> > hawking that overpriced quartz heater, and I knew he was just a paid
> > prostitute with good stories.....

> What amazed me (I kinda liked him) was his penchant for picking the most
> questionable products. *Bose? *I wouldn't pay eight cents for their junk.
> Other products he hawked were just as bogus. *Was he that stupid or did the
> flim-flammers jes pay more?
>
> nb

I don't care what he hawks, since someone's got to pay the bills, but
the way he hawked it. His delivery never changed from newsbit, story,
or ad, and it irritated me that I'd be listening eagerly until he
would mention the product. His advertizers must have loved him for
that.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:26:12 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:
>
> How do we get George Will on the list?
>
> nb

i think he was replaced some time ago by a pod person or some kind of
cyborg. a shame, because thirty-some years ago he was actually funny from
time to time. now his primary mode of expression seems to be the sniff.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:55:40 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
> Wonder who
>> in the Harvey set will be next? Maybe Rush from a booze and pill
>> overdose?

> Rush was lookin' pretty porky when I saw him speaking at that GOP confab on
> teevee yesterday

no offense to the round people here, but rush is getting pretty goddamn
big. i don't think he even tries to wear a tie anymore.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01 Mar 2009 21:17:09 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" >
> m: in rec.food.cooking
>

>> The Ranger wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
>> dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
>> school...

> Well, If you can't say anything good about the dead... Paul Harvey is dead.
> Good.
>
> Michael

to harvey's credit, he did finally come out against the war in vietnam, but
that was after nixon had already re-screwed that particular pooch,

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:00:55 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-03-01, The Ranger > wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with his work; is he neo-conservative or screaming-pink?

> Neither. He's an archconservative pundit and baseball fanatic. Unlike
> fellow moron pundits like Rush Limbaugh and his ilk, he actually has a
> brain. Unfortunately, he rarely uses it, never smiles (some sort of
> childhood trauma?), and reduces all his political views to useless
> baseball-style stats. I think he's got something on ABC's mgt, as he's been
> on ABCs This Week longer than at least two well known hosts, for no reason I
> can tell.
>
> nb

i'd call him a neo-victorian or neo-tory, although most victorians who
claimed to be scholars didn't have butt-boys to look up quotes for them.

<http://books.google.com/books?id=zXu0MIeRoCYC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=george+f .+will+quote-boys&source=bl&ots=Jmczv0XZh3&sig=EGn9UvwoqXTFy2BX R2oFtTr6oiw&hl=en&ei=EiqsSaPxBuH8tgflpfX3Dw&sa=X&o i=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA34,M1>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-03-02, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> It's awful and sad - somewhere along the line Paul Harvey was corrupted
>> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason
>> for being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb
>> vacuum cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
>> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

> Oh ....hah hah. You are joking with me by using sarcasm. Oh boy, the joke
> is on me. You started out agreeing with me, then changed your mind. Ho!
> Ha ha ha.... Wow. You are so clever. It is so funny.... ha ha...

Sorry pal, I was not joking with you. Please check my post. OTOH, if you
have no idea about what broadcasting is all about, I guess it is!
Haha... haha... :-)

> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote > It's awful and sad - somewhere along the
line Paul Harvey was corrupted
> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason for
> being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb vacuum
> cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

I have no problem with people selling product. But when he swears by
something in a tone that he is an avid user of the product, that just
doesn't work for me. Particularly when he's selling overpriced little
heaters to people on fixed income sometimes just because it WAS him who
swore that it was a good product. There's quite a reach from "Buy this
product" to "I personally use this product, and I think it is the best."

Reminds me of "I like my Flex-O-Lite ping pong paddle." - Forrest Gump -
But then, even old Forrest was a sucker for the $25 grand. Now, why do I
think less of Paul than Forrest? That is contrasting values.

Now you've done it. I'm all conflicted! Ah Say! Conflicted!

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote > It's awful and sad - somewhere along the
> line Paul Harvey was corrupted
>> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason for
>> being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb vacuum
>> cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
>> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

> I have no problem with people selling product. But when he swears by
> something in a tone that he is an avid user of the product, that just
> doesn't work for me. Particularly when he's selling overpriced little
> heaters to people on fixed income sometimes just because it WAS him who
> swore that it was a good product. There's quite a reach from "Buy this
> product" to "I personally use this product, and I think it is the best."

I understand your point but saying that there's something wrong with a
guy selling product on commercial radio is like saying the only thing
wrong with ketchup is that there's tomatoes in it.

Your main objection seems to be that folks trusted Paul Harvey too much
and he used this to unfair advantage, perhaps you're right but I'm not
sure that we should feel sorry for folks that bought heaters and vacuums
and such. What if they're happy as hell with the products? Frankly, a
heater or a vacuum machine is a better use of money than sending dough
to a TV preacher or buying a pocket fisherman - but that's just me.

Perhaps we should require folks with fixed incomes to clear any purchase
with a panel of expert consumer advocates. This would put a stop to
those folks with limited means making unwise choices. :-)

> Reminds me of "I like my Flex-O-Lite ping pong paddle." - Forrest Gump -
> But then, even old Forrest was a sucker for the $25 grand. Now, why do I
> think less of Paul than Forrest? That is contrasting values.
>
> Now you've done it. I'm all conflicted! Ah Say! Conflicted!

Your problem is that you feel too much. I'm like this too, sometimes my
compassion is so great that my head emits shafts of light. That's the
breaks... :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-03, dsi1 > wrote:

> and such. What if they're happy as hell with the products?

Yes, and some ppl believe in astrology.

> to a TV preacher or buying a pocket fisherman - but that's just me.

What's wrong with a pocket fisherman? At least it actually works.

> Your problem is that you feel too much. I'm like this too, sometimes my
> compassion is so great that my head emits shafts of light.

......and you haven't marketed them, yet?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:14:51 -0700, SteveB wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote > It's awful and sad - somewhere along the
> line Paul Harvey was corrupted
>> and lost his way. He forgot that commercial broadcastings main reason for
>> being is not to be selling products such as quartz heaters and 8 lb vacuum
>> cleaners. Oh wait, selling advertising time is the whole point of
>> commercial broadcasting - nevermind. :-)

> I have no problem with people selling product. But when he swears by
> something in a tone that he is an avid user of the product, that just
> doesn't work for me. Particularly when he's selling overpriced little
> heaters to people on fixed income sometimes just because it WAS him who
> swore that it was a good product. There's quite a reach from "Buy this
> product" to "I personally use this product, and I think it is the best."

my understanding was that harvey actually *was* square enough that he
wouldn't endorse products that he didn't actually use. i mean, 'slick'
isn't a word i would associate with him.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 9:23*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:

> I used to listen to him on KXRX 1500 during the 70s and loved his afternoon
> pieces. That. Deliver of. His. Was and always will be. HIS. Trademark. And
> that was Paul Harvey.

Well... he didn't sound quite THAT retarded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:36:38 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>The Ranger wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
>dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
>school...

Speaking of corny, What did you think of Wally Phillips?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

> my understanding was that harvey actually *was* square enough that he
> wouldn't endorse products that he didn't actually use. i mean, 'slick'
> isn't a word i would associate with him.
>
> your pal,
> blake

That was my understanding also and he stated such, but in later years, a few
products were a bit questionable as to value. He may have relied on others
as the years went by and they were more interested in $$ that the actual
products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 14:46:12 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:36:38 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >The Ranger wrote:
>> >
>> >[...]
>> >

>> >Good riddance, I could never abide his corny schtick. My dislike of him
>> >dates from having to listen to him on the bus when I was in elementary
>> >school...

>> Speaking of corny, What did you think of Wally Phillips?
>>

>That was a bit before my time in Chicago IIRC...in fact I've really only
>listened to radio since the mid - 90's or so.

He was so optimistic it was nauseating. But he and Harvey did pave
the way for many others.

Lou