Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder

I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
culture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

You can eat all the eggs you want. American say this. Look:
http://news.paginemediche.it/it/230/...sso.aspx?c1=25

--
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:02:57 -0800 (PST), amandaF
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
>concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
>suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
>say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
>culture.

By "western culture" I assume you mean "Anglo," because a typical
breakfast in non-English speaking "Western" countries includes foods
that you don't normally see served for breakfast in the US, Canada,
the UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.

For example, a typical breakfast in the Netherlands consists of a
choice of cheeses, sliced meats, bread, cereal and hard boiled eggs.
Leave out the eggs and you've still got your protein.

In Mexico & Central America (also considered parts of the Western
World) I used to eat a breakfast of rice & beans with either eggs or
fish. It's still one of my favourites.

Baked beans on toast is another protein breakfast option.

Also - Don't know if it's 100%, but I was told in a Weight Watchers
meeting that when cereals (carbs) are combined with milk they become a
protein.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Peanut butter on toasted bread makes for a tasty quick breakfast and peanuts
are very high in protein.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

I like toast with cold cuts and/or cheese.

Milk
Yoghurt
Cottage cheese

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Fish (fresh, smoked, pickled) at the morning meal is very typical of western
culture. The chicken egg is actually Asian/Indian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 2:02*pm, amandaF > wrote:
> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. *I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> * Any other item that would give me complete protein? *Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

I put "tofu breakfast burrito" into Google and got many interesting
looking results. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF > wrote:

> Any other item that would give me complete protein?

Scrambled tofu, colored yellow with turmeric, satisfies
somewhat the need to eat a traditional breakfast.
I usually sautee up some subset of onion, bell pepper,
and mushroom then add the tofu/turmeric mixture. And
I tend to use lots of black pepper and cayenne.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 4:02�pm, amandaF > wrote:
> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. �I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> � Any other item that would give me complete protein? �Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Try Peanut butter, most mornings I have an English muffin, toasted,
with Peanut butter and some sort of furit.

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Egg white is a very complete protein with almost
no cholesterol. The cholesterol is nearly all
in the yolk.

The yolk also contains considerable vitamin B-12.
If you're not taking a B-12 supplement, half a yolk
with two egg whites would give you the B-12 without
being too bad on the cholesterol. Natural B-12 is
readily destroyed by heat, so a runny half-yolk
would be best.

Cardiovascular disease is correlated with cholesterol
consumption, but it's more strongly associated with
saturated fat intake. If you cut the cholesterol
down to zero, your liver would make cholesterol
to cover any shortage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
bob > wrote:

> Also - Don't know if it's 100%, but I was told in a Weight Watchers
> meeting that when cereals (carbs) are combined with milk they become a
> protein.

Grains are high in protein. If you just eat one kind of grain, and no
other protein, you will develop a protein deficiency, since the protein
in one kind of grain is not complete. If you eat rice, beans and corn;
that is a complete protein. By adding milk to your cereal, that makes
the combination a complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal
is low in.

Note that adding milk doesn't change the cereal, so all the carbs are
still there. Also note that milk is high in carbs (sugar).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Buckwheat is a good non-animal source of complete protein, as well as quinoa
and spirulina. I'm sure you can google plenty of recipes for buckwheat
pancakes. When it comes to "typical breakfast items in western culture",
why limit yourself to what other people deem typical? If you like
something, eat it! Who cares if it's not a "breakfast" food? Fish is the
same nutritionally whether you eat it at 8am or 6pm.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 5:02*pm, amandaF > wrote:
> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. *I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> * Any other item that would give me complete protein? *Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Yogurt, cereal and milk, cheese grits, pancakes, waffles etc.

In New England, cod cakes and beans are a standard part of breakfast.

Hummus and pita make a nice start to the day, make it as mild or spicy
as you like.

You could also switch to the cholesterol-free egg products in the
dairy section of your grocery, sometimes found in the freezer
section. You'll be relegated to omelets or scrambled, no more over
easy or sunny side up, but you'll have your eggy goodness still.

Bagels, cream cheese and lox is considered a breakfast food.

If you like Asian foods, pho is a Vietnamese soup, usually with beef
broth, vegetables, and bits of various meats.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

[snipped]

> > Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> > say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> > culture.

???

Kippers, a fish preparation, is a common breakfast in Western cultu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper

> You can eat all the eggs you want. American say this. Look:
> http://news.paginemediche.it/it/230/...tail_103929_uo
> va-contrordine-si-possono-mangiare-spesso.aspx?c1=25

There is still debate about how many eggs people should eat, especially
those who are at risk. Eggs are very high in saturated fat, which some
have linked to high blood cholesterol.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> If you just eat one kind of grain, and no
> other protein, you will develop a protein deficiency, since the
> protein in one kind of grain is not complete.

Agreed. Your diet will be lysine-deficient.

> If you eat rice, beans and corn; that is a complete protein.
> By adding milk to your cereal, that makes the combination a
> complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal is low in.

True, but the ratio of milk required is pretty high. 100 grams
of whole-wheat cereal has 13.7 grams of protein, of which
..38 grams is lysine. 100 grams of milk has 3.4 grams of
protein of which .25 grams is lysine. For protein to be
lysine-complete there must be at least 58 milligrams of lysine
per gram of protein. Going through the math you need milk to cereal
in a ratio greater than nine. i.e. a 2-ounce serving of
cereal requires over a pint of milk to be lysine-complete.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
> [snipped]
>

>> > Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
>> > say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
>> > culture.

> ???
>
> Kippers, a fish preparation, is a common breakfast in Western cultu
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper
>

>> You can eat all the eggs you want. American say this. Look:
>> http://news.paginemediche.it/it/230/...tail_103929_uo
>> va-contrordine-si-possono-mangiare-spesso.aspx?c1=25

> There is still debate about how many eggs people should eat, especially
> those who are at risk. Eggs are very high in saturated fat, which some
> have linked to high blood cholesterol.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

According to the National Cholesterol Education Program, people who are of
"normal" health can eat up to one whole egg per day, more if they reduce
other animal products for vegetarian ones later in the day. Someone who is
considered "high risk" (current high cholesterol level and/or family history
of heart disease) it is recommended to only have two egg yolks per week, but
as many egg whites as they would like since the cholesterol is concentrated
in the yolk, not the white. Eggs contain 213mg of cholesterol and the
recommended daily limit is 300mg. An alternative to regular eggs might be
Omega 3 enhanced eggs, but I haven't ever checked to see how readily
available they are in the stores. They apparently contain 7 times more
omega 3 fatty acids than regular eggs.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx Minx" > wrote in message

> "amandaF" > wrote in message
>>I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
>> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
>> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>>
>> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
>> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
>> culture.
>>

> Buckwheat is a good non-animal source of complete protein, as well as
> quinoa and spirulina. I'm sure you can google plenty of recipes for
> buckwheat pancakes. When it comes to "typical breakfast items in western
> culture", why limit yourself to what other people deem typical? If you
> like something, eat it! Who cares if it's not a "breakfast" food? Fish
> is the same nutritionally whether you eat it at 8am or 6pm.

They're not complete proteins, they're close but not quite, they're missing
a couple of essential amino acids. No vegetables contain complete protein.
For a complete protein one must eat animal protein.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> If you just eat one kind of grain, and no
>> other protein, you will develop a protein deficiency, since the
>> protein in one kind of grain is not complete.

> Agreed. Your diet will be lysine-deficient.
>
>> If you eat rice, beans and corn; that is a complete protein.
>> By adding milk to your cereal, that makes the combination a
>> complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal is low in.

> True, but the ratio of milk required is pretty high. 100 grams
> of whole-wheat cereal has 13.7 grams of protein, of which
> .38 grams is lysine. 100 grams of milk has 3.4 grams of
> protein of which .25 grams is lysine. For protein to be
> lysine-complete there must be at least 58 milligrams of lysine
> per gram of protein. Going through the math you need milk to cereal
> in a ratio greater than nine. i.e. a 2-ounce serving of
> cereal requires over a pint of milk to be lysine-complete.
>
> Steve

Not true... no mix of plant protein can ever make a complete protein. For a
complete protein one must eat animal protein.
Vegetarians espouse all manner of weird rationalizations but they are all
incorrect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 > wrote:

>"Jinx Minx" > wrote in message

>> Buckwheat is a good non-animal source of complete protein, as well as
>> quinoa and spirulina.

>They're not complete proteins, they're close but not quite, they're missing
>a couple of essential amino acids. No vegetables contain complete protein.
>For a complete protein one must eat animal protein.

As these things are usually defined, quinoa is complete protein.
I do not think buckwheat is, and do not know about spirulina.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>>"Jinx Minx" > wrote in message

>>> Buckwheat is a good non-animal source of complete protein, as well as
>>> quinoa and spirulina.

>>They're not complete proteins, they're close but not quite, they're
>>missing
>>a couple of essential amino acids. No vegetables contain complete
>>protein.
>>For a complete protein one must eat animal protein.

> As these things are usually defined, quinoa is complete protein.
> I do not think buckwheat is, and do not know about spirulina.

No plant contains a complete protein. Buckwheat actually comes closer than
quinoa and any other plant.

Read carefully: http://www.thebirkettmills.com/nutrition_2005.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 > wrote:

>No plant contains a complete protein. Buckwheat actually comes closer than
>quinoa and any other plant.
>
>Read carefully: http://www.thebirkettmills.com/nutrition_2005.htm

Interesting assertion.

Per the USDA database, neither buckwheat nor quinoa is
lysine-complete, but quinoa is closer at 54 mg lysine per
gram of protein, vs. 51 for buckwheat. Soy is lysine-complete
with with 60 mg lysine per gram of protein.

What buckwheat does have is a large amount of total protein --
18% of calories, vs. 14% for quinoa. You would get enough lysine
with a buckwheat-only diet. Your body would not be able to utilize
all the protein, due to it being slightly imbalanced, but you
would not suffer a deficiency.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
amandaF > wrote:

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Soy.

So what is wrong with meat and eggs?
Eating Cholesterol does not raise serum Cholesterol. It's a no brainer.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

>>> By adding milk to your cereal, that makes the combination a
>>> complete protein, as the milk supplies what the cereal is low in.

>> True, but the ratio of milk required is pretty high. 100 grams
>> of whole-wheat cereal has 13.7 grams of protein, of which
>> .38 grams is lysine. 100 grams of milk has 3.4 grams of
>> protein of which .25 grams is lysine. For protein to be
>> lysine-complete there must be at least 58 milligrams of lysine
>> per gram of protein. Going through the math you need milk to cereal
>> in a ratio greater than nine. i.e. a 2-ounce serving of
>> cereal requires over a pint of milk to be lysine-complete.
>>

> Not true... no mix of plant protein can ever make a complete protein. For
> a complete protein one must eat animal protein.
> Vegetarians espouse all manner of weird rationalizations but they are all
> incorrect.

Since when is milk a plant protein, you doddering dunce?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

>Soy.

>So what is wrong with meat and eggs?
>Eating Cholesterol does not raise serum Cholesterol. It's a no brainer.

It does raise it, but not by a huge amount -- usually 20 points
or less.

I have shifted back to eating more eggs as part of an anti-gout
diet, and I did not notice any difference on my last serum
cholesterol reading. Probably eating 4 to 6 eggs a week now.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:02:57 -0800, amandaF wrote:

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast suasage,
> etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western culture.

In reality you get enough protein already, it's difficult not to.
And the cholesterol 'problem' is grossly exaggerated, don't worry about
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:35:27 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> amandaF wrote:
>>
>> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
>> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
>> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>>
>> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
>> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western culture.

> Egg white is a very complete protein with almost no cholesterol. The
> cholesterol is nearly all in the yolk.
>
> The yolk also contains considerable vitamin B-12. If you're not taking a
> B-12 supplement, half a yolk with two egg whites would give you the B-12
> without being too bad on the cholesterol. Natural B-12 is readily
> destroyed by heat, so a runny half-yolk would be best.
>
> Cardiovascular disease is correlated with cholesterol consumption, but
> it's more strongly associated with saturated fat intake.

Only problem with this outdated theory is it doesnt explain traditional
cultures who historically have good health, with no diabetes, cancer or
heart disease. South sea islanders and coconut oil (high in those
'horrible' saturated fats) come to mind, for example.

> If you cut the
> cholesterol down to zero, your liver would make cholesterol to cover any
> shortage.

True, in a normal, healthy body.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 5:35*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
>
> > I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> > concern about the cholesterol. *I am not going to eat breakfast
> > suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

> > * Any other item that would give me complete protein? *Please don't
> > say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> > culture.

> Egg white is a very complete protein with almost
> no cholesterol. *The cholesterol is nearly all
> in the yolk.
>
> The yolk also contains considerable vitamin B-12.
> If you're not taking a B-12 supplement, half a yolk
> with two egg whites would give you the B-12 without
> being too bad on the cholesterol. *Natural B-12 is
> readily destroyed by heat, so a runny half-yolk
> would be best.

That 2/1 white/yolk ratio would take 100% of the joy out of the meal.

> Cardiovascular disease is correlated with cholesterol
> consumption, but it's more strongly associated with
> saturated fat intake. *If you cut the cholesterol
> down to zero, your liver would make cholesterol
> to cover any shortage.

Very true, but far more associated with trans fats. That crap should
be outlawed, and folks who advocate eating it should be ridiculed.
The heads of companies who still put it in foods should be publicly
lynched.

Eat your eggs. I prefer mine jumbo size, and lightly basted in either
bacon grease or peanut oil. The goal is 100% solid white, 100% runny
yolk.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF said...

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol. I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.
>
> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

amandaF,

Are you talking about a complete day's worth of protein or a complete
protein with an even balance of protein micro-nutrients?

The former is never a good idea since you'll probably end up getting too
much protein over the rest of the day.

The latter requires a lot of investigation through USDA databases and the
like, and your knowledge of what is a complete balanced protein. I've done
this in combination with my diet software's nutrient tracking and IT DROVE
ME UP THE WALL!!!

That said, sometime try a bowl of your favorite dry cereal with fat-free
evaporated milk. It's sweeter than milk since they evaporate out water but
not the sugar. It also might be good adding some to your morning coffee or
tea, if you like cream and sugar in it.

Nutritional info: http://tinyurl.com/d5ay23

Good luck,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Very true, but far more associated with trans fats. That crap should
> be outlawed, and folks who advocate eating it should be ridiculed.
> The heads of companies who still put it in foods should be publicly
> lynched.

They are starting to outlaw it in some states.

> Eat your eggs. I prefer mine jumbo size, and lightly basted in either
> bacon grease or peanut oil. The goal is 100% solid white, 100% runny
> yolk.
>
> --Bryan

Lately I've been using coconut oil more often than olive oil. :-) It's
very good for eggs and is supposed to have LOTS of heart healthy
benefits.

I also have switched to coconut oil for shrimp. I used to use a combo
of butter and olive oil for it. It is REALLY good.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Omelet > wrote:
>In article
>,
> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
>> Very true, but far more associated with trans fats. That crap should
>> be outlawed, and folks who advocate eating it should be ridiculed.
>> The heads of companies who still put it in foods should be publicly
>> lynched.

>They are starting to outlaw it in some states.
>
>> Eat your eggs. I prefer mine jumbo size, and lightly basted in either
>> bacon grease or peanut oil. The goal is 100% solid white, 100% runny
>> yolk.

>Lately I've been using coconut oil more often than olive oil. :-) It's
>very good for eggs and is supposed to have LOTS of heart healthy
>benefits.

Probably because of its composition:
<quoting>
Coconut oil is a fat consisting of about 90% saturated fat. The oil
contains predominantly medium chain triglycerides, with roughly 92%
saturated fatty acids, 6% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 2%
polyunsaturated fatty acids. Of the saturated fatty acids, coconut oil
is primarily 44.6% lauric acid, 16.8% myristic acid , 8.2% palmitic
acid and 8% caprylic acid. Although it contains seven different
saturated fatty acids in total, its only monounsaturated fatty acid is
oleic acid while its only polyunsaturated fatty acid is linoleic
acid.

Unrefined coconut oil melts at 24-25°C (76°F) and smokes at 177°C
(350°F), while refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point of 232°C
(450°F).

Among the most stable of all oils, coconut oil is slow to oxidize and
thus resistant to rancidity, lasting up to two years due to its high
saturated fat content. In order to extend shelf life, it is best
stored in solid form (i.e. below 24.5°C [76°F]).
</quoting>
Ref: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil>

>I also have switched to coconut oil for shrimp. I used to use a combo
>of butter and olive oil for it. It is REALLY good.

I often use that sort of mixture. A bit of butter in the grease makes
for better browning.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Lately I've been using coconut oil more often than olive oil. :-) It's
> very good for eggs and is supposed to have LOTS of heart healthy
> benefits.

There are quack "diet" experts who claim coconut oil
is healthful, but the scientific evidence is against
them. They peddle this line because that's how you
get notoriety in the diet field. You don't famous
by agreeing with mainstream medicine and peer-reviewed
literature. You get famous by saying the conventional
wisdom is wrong. Unfortunately, a lot of people are
getting suckered into believing these crackpot theories.

This study blames the MUCH higher rate of
cardiovascular mortality in Singapore as compared
to Hong Kong on consumption of saturated fats
including coconut oil.

Eur J Epidemiol. 2001;17(5):469-77.
Differences in all-cause, cardiovascular and
cancer mortality between Hong Kong and Singapo
role of nutrition.
Zhang J, Kesteloot H.
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public
Health, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.

BACKGROUND: The majority of inhabitants in Hong Kong
and Singapore are ethnic Chinese, but all-cause and
cardiovascular mortality rates in these two regions
are markedly different. This study describes
differences in the magnitude and trends in mortality
and attempts to explain these differences.

METHODS: Data of mortality rates in 1963-1965 and
1993-1995 in the age class of 45-74 years, dietary
habits and other factors were compared between
Hong Kong and Singapore using Japan, Spain and the USA
as reference countries. Mortality and food consumption
data were obtained from WHO and FAO, respectively.

RESULTS: Large differences in all-cause and cardiovascular
mortality exist between Hong Kong and Singapore. The
difference in total cancer mortality was less consistent
and smaller. The most pronounced finding was that ischemic
heart disease mortality in 1993-1995 was 2.98 and 3.14 times
higher in Singapore than in Hong Kong in men and women,
respectively. Of the five countries considered, Singapore
has the highest all-cause mortality in both sexes in the
period of 1960-1995. The ratio of animal to vegetal fat
was higher in Singapore (2.24) than in Hong Kong (1.08).
Singapore had higher serum concentrations of total
cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol
than Hong Kong, but the opposite result was observed
for high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.

CONCLUSIONS: There are striking differences in all-cause
and cardiovascular mortality between Hong Kong and
Singapore. These differences can be most reasonably and
plausibly explained by their differences in dietary
habits, for example, a higher consumption of coconut and
palm oil, mainly containing saturated fat, in Singapore.

Coconut oil raises bad cholesterol more than
beef fat!

Am J Clin Nutr. 1985 Aug;42(2):190-7.
Plasma lipid and lipoprotein response of humans
to beef fat, coconut oil and safflower oil.
Reiser R, Probstfield JL, Silvers A, Scott LW,
Shorney ML, Wood RD, O'Brien BC, Gotto AM Jr,
Insull W Jr.

This study's purpose was to evaluate the fasting
human plasma lipid and lipoprotein responses to
dietary beef fat (BF) by comparison with coconut
oil (CO) and safflower oil (SO), fats customarily
classified as saturated and polyunsaturated.
Nineteen free-living normolipidemic men aged
25.6 +/- 3.5 yr consumed centrally-prepared
lunches and dinners of common foods having 35%
fat calories, 60% of which was the test fat.
The test fats were isocalorically substituted,
and each fed for five weeks in random sequences
with intervening five weeks of habitual diets.
Plasma total cholesterol (TC), high-density
lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), and low-density
lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) concentrations
among individuals follows the same relative rank
regardless of diet. Triglycerides (TG)
concentrations among individuals also maintain
their relative rank regardless of diet but in
a different order from that of the cholesterols.
Plasma TC, HDL-C, and LDL-C responses to BF were
significantly lower and TG higher than to CO.
As compared to SO, BF produced equivalent levels
of TG, HDL-C, and LDL-C and marginally higher TC.
Thus, the customary consideration of BF as
"saturated" and grouping it with CO appears
unwarranted.

This study in a rat model for myocardial
infarction (induced with a synthetic hormone)
found omega-3 fatty acids to be protective
against lipid peroxidation and cardiovascular
death, while coconut oil raised indicators of
damage to the heart muscle.

J Nutr Biochem. 1999 Jun;10(6):338-44.
Effect of saturated, omega-3 and omega-6
polyunsaturated fatty acids on myocardial
infarction.
Nageswari K, Banerjee R, Menon VP.
School of Biomedical Engineering, Indian
Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.

Dietary fatty acids have cholesterol lowering,
antiatherogenic, and antiarrhythmic properties
that decrease the risk of myocardial infarction (MI).
This study was designed to study the effects of
various oils rich in either polyunsaturated
(omega-3 or omega-6) fatty acids (PUFA) or
saturated fatty acids (SFA) on the severity of
experimentally induced MI. Male albino Sprague-Dawley
rats (100-150 g; n = 20) were fed diets enriched with
fish oil (omega-3 PUFA), peanut oil (omega-6 PUFA),
or coconut oil (SFA) for 60 days. Experimental MI was
induced with isoproterenol. Mortality rates; serum
enzymes aspartate amino transferase; alanine amino
transferase; creatine phosphokinase (CPK); lipid
profiles in serum, myocardium, and aorta; peroxide
levels in heart and aorta; activities of catalase and
superoxide dismutase; and levels of glutathione were
measured. The results demonstrated that mortality rate,
CPK levels, myocardial lipid peroxides, and glutathione
levels were decreased in the omega-3 PUFA treated group.
Maximum increase in parameters indicative of myocardial
damage was seen in the coconut oil group. These findings
suggest that dietary omega-3 PUFA offers maximum
protection in experimentally induced MI in comparison
to omega-6 PUFA and SFA enriched diets. SFA was found
to have the least protective effect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>There are quack "diet" experts who claim coconut oil
>is healthful, but the scientific evidence is against
>them.

There are some probably bogus claims that it is healthful;
but the main claim is that it is a non-trans-fat product
with some of the cooking attributes of partially hydrogenated
oils. This one is a true claim.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Lately I've been using coconut oil more often than olive oil. :-) It's
> > very good for eggs and is supposed to have LOTS of heart healthy
> > benefits.

> There are quack "diet" experts who claim coconut oil
> is healthful, but the scientific evidence is against
> them.

I did a LOT of cross-referencing before buying into this one. I'm
convinced it's ok, and it happens to be very, very delicious.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
amandaF > wrote:

> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
> concern about the cholesterol.

There's no need. Eggs have little to no effect on blood cholesterol
levels.

> I am not going to eat breakfast
> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

Cheese on toast.

> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
> culture.

Plenty of people in Western cultures eat fish for breakfast.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

> amandaF > wrote:

>> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
>> concern about the cholesterol.

>There's no need. Eggs have little to no effect on blood cholesterol
>levels.

I trust the evidence-based medicine project at Oxford, who say
it may make a significant (but small) difference for people
who need to watch their cholesterol. In that context, 2 eggs
per day is above threshold:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandoli.../eggschol.html

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> amandaF > wrote:
>
>> I have been eatign 2 eggs per breakfast usign Egg'sLand best but I am
>> concern about the cholesterol.

> There's no need. Eggs have little to no effect on blood cholesterol
> levels.
>
>> I am not going to eat breakfast
>> suasage, etc. nor protein powder.

> Cheese on toast.
>
>> Any other item that would give me complete protein? Please don't
>> say fis. I am talking about typical breakfast item in western
>> culture.

> Plenty of people in Western cultures eat fish for breakfast.
>
> Miche

Amanda hates to eat. But she likes to think about it.