Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Pork Roast with Onion Gravy

This is amazing!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Roast with Onion Gravy

Recipe By :June Meyer
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pork Sauces/Gravies

6 1/2 pounds pork loin, lean, boneless -- up to 7 pounds
6 large onions -- peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper
---Gravy---
2 cups water
2 tablespoons flour
salt

Roast:
Sear all sides of roast in a hot roasting pan over high heat. Do not
add any fat. (May set off smoke detectors). Season meat with salt and
pepper to taste.
Sprinkle sugar over chopped onions. Put all the chopped onions into
roasting pan with meat and cover.
Place in a medium heat 325°F oven and slowly roast for about 1 1/2 to
2 hours.
Check the roast periodically to turn it over and push the onions
around. The onions should be taking on a rich brown color.
When the Pork Roast is finished, remove the roast to a board and carve
it into slices.

Onion Gravy:
To the onions in the roasting pan add 2 cups of water into which 2
Tbs. of flour have been stirred. While stirring the gravy use a
spatula to "wash down" the caramelized meat and onion juices which
have colored the sides of the roaster. This contains a lot of flavor
and color for your Onion Gravy. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt.

Serve dumplings (or gnocchi) on the meat platter with a few spoonfuls
of gravy poured over. Caraway Sauerkraut is served in a side dish and
the Onion Gravy is served in a gravy boat.

Beer is the preferred drink. This is a feast fit for a Hungarian or
Bohemian King.

If you have left overs (which I doubt) this reheats nicely. If you
have cooked too many dumplings, they can be frozen and used in soup or
Gulyas.

Cuisine:
"Bohemian"
S(Website:
"http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

NOTES : Regarding "June Meyer's Authentic Hungarian Pork Roast with
Onion Gravy, Caraway Sauerkraut and Dumplings"

It took me 61 years to find out that this most loved and often made
dish was not Hungarian but Bohemian. It was a legacy of my Godmother,
Violet Zellner who was Bohemian and who's name I bore as June Violet.
Aunt Vi had three sons and she loved to have me come for a visit to
their home on the far south side of Chicago, miles from our home on
the near north side. I would take the old red Halsted Street cars to
the end of the line and then have to walk a block or two. She used to
call me "Dolly" or "Sweetie Pie"". She was the first person I knew who
had an electric stove. I remember her serving this dish with a
dumpling as huge as a loaf of bread.

Regards, June Meyer.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.