Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Default Canned Garbanzo Beans

After all the talk of stock, yesterday I put on a pot of pork stock
using two very large chops that I had grilled the night before. It took
a while to get the consistency and flavored that I wanted, but it's good
to go now. SPICY and the meat is very tender!

I'm doing a very loose interpretation a Shed Pork and Green Chile Stew.
Potatoes are the typical starch but I have a can of garbanzo beans that
I thought might work (I'm in the mood for a white bean). My question is:
If I simmer them for a long time, will they soften up? I like garbanzo
beans/chickpeas well enough -- but preferably in a salad. I don't think
I want them as chewy in a stew.

I probably will stick with cubed potatoes, but I'd be interested in what
I could expect from the garbanzos for other stove-top applications.

TIA!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:30:09 -0800:

> I'm doing a very loose interpretation a Shed Pork and Green
> Chile Stew. Potatoes are the typical starch but I have a can
> of garbanzo beans that I thought might work (I'm in the mood
> for a white bean). My question is: If I simmer them for a long
> time, will they soften up? I like garbanzo beans/chickpeas
> well enough -- but preferably in a salad. I don't think I want
> them as chewy in a stew.

> I probably will stick with cubed potatoes, but I'd be
> interested in what I could expect from the garbanzos for other
> stove-top applications.

I have a chickpea ginger curry and the garbanzos are put in 25 minutes
from the end so that they don't disintegrate. My recipe includes chicken
but can be made without it.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 3:30*pm, Lin > wrote:
> After all the talk of stock, yesterday I put on a pot of pork stock
> using two very large chops that I had grilled the night before. It took
> a while to get the consistency and flavored that I wanted, but it's good
> to go now. SPICY and the meat is very tender!
>
> I'm doing a very loose interpretation a Shed Pork and Green Chile Stew.
> Potatoes are the typical starch but I have a can of garbanzo beans that
> I thought might work (I'm in the mood for a white bean). My question is:
> If I simmer them for a long time, will they soften up? I like garbanzo
> beans/chickpeas well enough -- but preferably in a salad. I don't think
> I want them as chewy in a stew.
>
> I probably will stick with cubed potatoes, but I'd be interested in what
> I could expect from the garbanzos for other stove-top applications.
>
> TIA!
>
> --Lin

I would think they would soften up. Give them some time to simmer
though, as I think they're more form than a cannelini or navy bean.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

James Silverton wrote:

> I have a chickpea ginger curry and the garbanzos are put in 25 minutes
> from the end so that they don't disintegrate. My recipe includes chicken
> but can be made without it.

Excellent! Thank you for the time line.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Kris wrote:

> I would think they would soften up. Give them some time to simmer
> though, as I think they're more form than a cannelini or navy bean.

White, navy or great northern was what I had in mind for this dish so I
guess the garbanzo would work fine. I especially like white beans in my
white chicken chili.

Thanks!

--Lin (not so askeered to try the garbanzos)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On Feb 27, 3:30 pm, Lin > wrote:
>> After all the talk of stock, yesterday I put on a pot of pork stock
>> using two very large chops that I had grilled the night before. It took
>> a while to get the consistency and flavored that I wanted, but it's good
>> to go now. SPICY and the meat is very tender!
>>
>> I'm doing a very loose interpretation a Shed Pork and Green Chile Stew.
>> Potatoes are the typical starch but I have a can of garbanzo beans that
>> I thought might work (I'm in the mood for a white bean). My question is:
>> If I simmer them for a long time, will they soften up? I like garbanzo
>> beans/chickpeas well enough -- but preferably in a salad. I don't think
>> I want them as chewy in a stew.
>>
>> I probably will stick with cubed potatoes, but I'd be interested in what
>> I could expect from the garbanzos for other stove-top applications.
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> --Lin

> I would think they would soften up. Give them some time to simmer
> though, as I think they're more form than a cannelini or navy bean.
>
> Kris

Sometimes it depends upon the brand of canned chickpeas. Some brands are
firmer than others.