FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/168718-cleaning-really-really-burned.html)

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 25-02-2009 03:21 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!

I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
being on for heat.

Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Steve Pope 25-02-2009 03:35 PM

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>with a copper bottom, if that helps.

My algorithm is as follows: using detergent, if I cannot clean it with
a dish sponge, I try cleaning it with a Tuffy (that being the name
brand for a scrubber made from a jumble of yellow and orange plastic
strands); if that does not work by itself, I use a nearly-dry
slurry of coarse salt, which usually works. Sometimes it takes
several go's at it with soaking in between.

I will do the above for either stainless steel or enameled cast iron.
However with stainless steel another option is steel wool.

I would never, ever use oven cleaner.

Just my opinion. :)

Steve

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 25-02-2009 03:45 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:35:31 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>>What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>>Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>>with a copper bottom, if that helps.

>My algorithm is as follows: using detergent, if I cannot clean it with
>a dish sponge, I try cleaning it with a Tuffy (that being the name
>brand for a scrubber made from a jumble of yellow and orange plastic
>strands); if that does not work by itself, I use a nearly-dry
>slurry of coarse salt, which usually works. Sometimes it takes
>several go's at it with soaking in between.
>
>I will do the above for either stainless steel or enameled cast iron.
>However with stainless steel another option is steel wool.
>
>I would never, ever use oven cleaner.
>
>Just my opinion. :)

Thank you much. We have all of the above, and I'll scratch the idea
of oven cleaner. We have a 21 year old male who lives with us and I'm
sure will LOVE scouring that pan out. LOL!

Thanks again,
Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Melba's Jammin' 25-02-2009 03:54 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
layer of baking soda. Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
Rinse it out and see what comes with it.
A friend just made a mess of an All-Clad pan with some elderberry syrup
gunk and she cleaned it by repeatedly boiling water in it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Giusi[_2_] 25-02-2009 03:56 PM

"Damsel in dis Dress" ha scritto nel messaggio >

> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the>
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Carol

Boil water in it and then leave it overnight. Scrub away what you can with
a metal scrubby. If it isn't enough, fill it with bleach water and boil it
again, then leave it. The bleach has always got the last bits for me.

Sky 25-02-2009 03:57 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Bummer that! Another trick might be to use a little bit of dishwasher
machine detergent (that powdered stuff) in the pan and fill with hot
water. Stir the detergent around to dissolve and let it soak for
awhile, then apply the elbow-grease. The enzymes in the dishwasher
detergent might help to breakup the burned char on the inside of the
pan.

Just a thought, but whenever I turn on the stove burner with a pan/pot
of anything in it, I always use the timer to remind me I have a pan on a
hot burner. There have been many times when this little precaution has
saved a pan or few, not to mention the kitchen and house! After all, it
is the "ultra ultimate kitchen rule" :D

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 25-02-2009 04:02 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:57:32 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>Just a thought, but whenever I turn on the stove burner with a pan/pot
>of anything in it, I always use the timer to remind me I have a pan on a
>hot burner. There have been many times when this little precaution has
>saved a pan or few, not to mention the kitchen and house! After all, it
>is the "ultra ultimate kitchen rule" :D

I thought I was heating a whistling tea kettle, so it never occured to
me to set the timer. The stove at this house has knobs in the
opposite positions from the one at the other place. This isn't the
first time this has happened, but this WAS the first fire. Hopefully,
the last.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Kajikit[_2_] 25-02-2009 04:16 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:21:44 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
>I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
>a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
>being on for heat.
>
>Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
>under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
>was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
>Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
>house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
>What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Put a whole bunch of baking soda in water into the pan and let it soak
for an hour... then empty it out and put in a half-inch of water and a
bunch more baking soda and start scrubbing. The baking soda softens
the gunk and acts as a mild abrasive. I'm glad that you just burned
the pot and not your whole kitchen! I turned the wrong burner on on
our stove a few times lately, but luckily I was standing right there
and realised before any damage was done.

Dan S. 25-02-2009 04:18 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

Damsel in dis Dress, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low
and reply with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

The nice thing about stainless steel, is that it's stainless. You only
need to get foodstuff off. Any "stains" you are looking at are not
embeded into the metal. You can scrub it with anything you want.
Cleaser is a good one after a brillo scrubbing. Copper is a different
story. Usually, a good scrub and polish is warranted a couple times a
year.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Nancy2 25-02-2009 04:22 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Feb 25, 9:21*am, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. *LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. *After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. *Shit! *I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. *Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. *Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? * We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

I have had some success submersing the entire pan in a bucket of water
with dishwasher soap in it and letting it soak. First, you'll have to
scrape off everything you can (without gouging the bottom of the
pan). I certainly won't hurt anything to try it.

I bought some fancy motorcycle chrome cleaner at the Harley place to
scour burned nylon (from a utensil) from the bottom of a stainless
steel All-Clad pan that my son cooked. It took lots of elbow grease
to get it off, but it was worth it. I can't remember the name of the
tube of stuff, but it was manufactured to take melted rubber off
chrome....like rubberized patches on motorcycle gear (or boot bottoms)
becoming melted onto the hot exhaust pipe.

N.

Nancy2 25-02-2009 04:23 PM

On Feb 25, 9:56*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" *ha scritto nel messaggio >
>
> > Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the>
> > house. *Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

> > What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> > Carol

> Boil water in it and then leave it overnight. *Scrub away what you can with
> a metal scrubby. *If it isn't enough, fill it with bleach water and boil it
> again, then leave it. *The bleach has always got the last bits for me.

Boiling water works best on sugary burns - rice isn't.

N.

notbob 25-02-2009 04:29 PM

On 2009-02-25, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

If the pan has been heated high enough and long enough, the burn stains may
be permenent. If it isn't too bad, use a stainless steel scrubby pad, soft
scrub, and some serious scullery maid elbow grease to get most of it out.
Fact is, high heat releases carbon from organic objects and drives it into
the metal. You may never see a shiny bottom on that pan, again. I have a
couple pans I've burned. All my mom's pans are like that.

Never start heating a pan on high heat and walk away!!

nb

brooklyn1 25-02-2009 04:44 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote>
> Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
> layer of baking soda. Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
> Rinse it out and see what comes with it.
> A friend just made a mess of an All-Clad pan with some elderberry syrup
> gunk and she cleaned it by repeatedly boiling water in it.
> --
> -Barb

Sugar removal is much easier than starch... how quick we forget my
internationally patented household ammonia method.

zxcvbob 25-02-2009 04:53 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Oven cleaner.

If you want to try something milder first, there are 2 things you can
try: (1) Pour in just enough full-strength household ammonia to cover
the bottom, put the lid on tight, and let it sit overnight. The crud
should scrape out pretty easily. (2) A heaping tablespoon of washing
soda and enough warm water to cover the bottom. Let that sit overnight.
(Washing soda is in a big yellow box near the detergent and borax.
It's not the same as baking soda)

Bob

Omelet[_7_] 25-02-2009 05:20 PM

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Carol, I deal with scorching by putting a layer of pure vinegar in the
pan and letting it soak for a day or two. Putting it out in hot sunlight
will help speed the process.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Omelet[_7_] 25-02-2009 05:21 PM

(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> >What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> >Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> >with a copper bottom, if that helps.

> My algorithm is as follows: using detergent, if I cannot clean it with
> a dish sponge, I try cleaning it with a Tuffy (that being the name
> brand for a scrubber made from a jumble of yellow and orange plastic
> strands); if that does not work by itself, I use a nearly-dry
> slurry of coarse salt, which usually works. Sometimes it takes
> several go's at it with soaking in between.
>
> I will do the above for either stainless steel or enameled cast iron.
> However with stainless steel another option is steel wool.
>
> I would never, ever use oven cleaner.
>
> Just my opinion. :)
>
> Steve

I will use oven cleaner on cast iron, but NEVER on stainless. Yes I
have to re-season my pan, but that's no big deal. <g>

Sqwertz[_27_] 25-02-2009 05:25 PM

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Sugar removal is much easier than starch... how quick we forget my
> internationally patented household ammonia method.

I think we all forgot is after the last two people reported back that it
didn't work worth a Sheldon.

-sw

Beartooth 25-02-2009 07:06 PM

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:20:37 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> Carol, I deal with scorching by putting a layer of pure vinegar in the
> pan and letting it soak for a day or two. Putting it out in hot sunlight
> will help speed the process.

Baking soda is surprisingly alkaline; washing soda is even more
so; ammonia is also alkaline, but I disremember how the strength compares
to the other two. Dishwashing liquid (for the sink) and dishwasher
chemical both also contain alkalis, strong ones in the stuff for the
dishwasher.

Vinegar contains acetic acid. Barkeeper's Friend, which will be
with other cleaners in the store, uses oxalic acid as its active
ingredient -- plus something that makes suds. It's sold especially for
cleaning metals, and of course glass.

If one of the alkalis helps but doesn't finish the job, rinse
well, and use one of the acids. Then alternate. (I wouldn't mix them; the
baking soda will froth prettily, but they basically neutralize one
another.)

Oven cleaner is jellied lye -- plain old sodium (a/o potassium)
hydroxide -- and about the strongest alkali you can get. I'd keep trying
the milder stuff for quite a few repetitions before I'd go to lye,
jellied or not. (Drain cleaner is lye, and some stores also sell plain
lye under its own name.)
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck, Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User

Zeppo[_1_] 25-02-2009 07:11 PM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Carol,
One thing that works really well on this type of burned on stuff is Hopps #9
gun cleaner. You should be able to pick it up at any place that sells
hunting and shooting supplies. Get most of the crud out as best you can and
use the hopps to get the burned-on carbon layer that's left.

I used to use it to get spent rocket fuel off the insides of engine casings
when I flew amateur rockets. Sometimes the stuff it took of would be pretty
amazing. Oh, yeah, it works real well on guns, too. Try to use it outside if
you can as the smell is pretty bad.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Omelet[_7_] 25-02-2009 07:16 PM

"Zeppo" > wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> >I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
> >
> > I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> > a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> > being on for heat.
> >
> > Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> > under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> > was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
> >
> > Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> > house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
> >
> > What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> > Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> > with a copper bottom, if that helps.
> >
> > Carol

> Carol,
> One thing that works really well on this type of burned on stuff is Hopps #9
> gun cleaner. You should be able to pick it up at any place that sells
> hunting and shooting supplies. Get most of the crud out as best you can and
> use the hopps to get the burned-on carbon layer that's left.
>
> I used to use it to get spent rocket fuel off the insides of engine casings
> when I flew amateur rockets. Sometimes the stuff it took of would be pretty
> amazing. Oh, yeah, it works real well on guns, too. Try to use it outside if
> you can as the smell is pretty bad.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jon

I love the smell of Hoppe's. Good childhood memories from when dad used
to clean guns after taking us target practicing on weekends. <g>

Never knew it was a good kitchen cleaner!

I've used Rem-oil in door locks... Works a treat.

Zeppo[_1_] 25-02-2009 08:31 PM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> >I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>> >
>> > I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
>> > a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
>> > being on for heat.
>> >
>> > Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
>> > under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
>> > was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>> >
>> > Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
>> > house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>> >
>> > What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>> > Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>> > with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> Carol,
>> One thing that works really well on this type of burned on stuff is Hopps
>> gun cleaner. You should be able to pick it up at any place that sells
>> hunting and shooting supplies. Get most of the crud out as best you can
>> and
>> use the hopps to get the burned-on carbon layer that's left.
>>
>> I used to use it to get spent rocket fuel off the insides of engine
>> casings
>> when I flew amateur rockets. Sometimes the stuff it took of would be
>> pretty
>> amazing. Oh, yeah, it works real well on guns, too. Try to use it outside
>> if
>> you can as the smell is pretty bad.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jon

> I love the smell of Hoppe's. Good childhood memories from when dad used
> to clean guns after taking us target practicing on weekends. <g>
>
> Never knew it was a good kitchen cleaner!
>
> I've used Rem-oil in door locks... Works a treat.
> --
> Peace! Om

Man, I wish my parent's were that cool when I was a kid.

Jon

Omelet[_7_] 25-02-2009 08:34 PM

"Zeppo" > wrote:

> Man, I wish my parent's were that cool when I was a kid.
>
> Jon

I had very cool parents, and still have dad. :-)

And yes, they were/are very cool. I have stories...

Paul M. Cook 25-02-2009 08:38 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

I'd soak it im ammonia and water for about 24-48 hours. I use 1/4 cup
ammonia and a gallon of cold water.

Paul

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 25-02-2009 08:51 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Feb 25, 10:54*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> > Oven cleaner, maybe? * We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> > with a copper bottom, if that helps.

> > Carol

> Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
> layer of baking soda. *Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
> Rinse it out and see what comes with it. *

That works, or if I'm in a hurry, I boil enough water to cover the
badness
along with a lot of baking soda. Smells bad, works great.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 25-02-2009 08:54 PM

On Feb 25, 2:11*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:

> *I used to use it to get spent rocket fuel off the insides of engine casings
> when I flew amateur rockets. Sometimes the stuff it took of would be pretty
> amazing. Oh, yeah, it works real well on guns, too. Try to use it outside if
> you can as the smell is pretty bad.

No it's not. It's my husband's favorite cologne. ;)

Cindy Hamilton

phil-c 25-02-2009 09:09 PM

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:54 am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>>
>>> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>>> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>>> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>>> Carol

>> Start by wetting the pot on the inside and dumping in a half-inch thick
>> layer of baking soda. Let it sit, undisturbed, overnight or for a day.
>> Rinse it out and see what comes with it.

> That works, or if I'm in a hurry, I boil enough water to cover the
> badness
> along with a lot of baking soda. Smells bad, works great.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Both suggestions above are sound and safe .

Do as above DO NOT be in a hurry
then warm to hot water and dump any lemon or citrus peelings in

NOT with the baking soda !! On their own leave for as long as you can

rinse out THEN GENTLY scrub using something like Ajax or Vim
Rinse well

Becca 25-02-2009 09:26 PM

Omelet wrote:

> I love the smell of Hoppe's. Good childhood memories from when dad used
> to clean guns after taking us target practicing on weekends. <g>
>
> Never knew it was a good kitchen cleaner!
>
> I've used Rem-oil in door locks... Works a treat.

My dad worked offshore, so when I smell creosote, I think of him. When
I smell Right Guard and Listerine, I think of my grandfather.

Becca

Zeppo[_1_] 25-02-2009 09:27 PM

"Omelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
>> Man, I wish my parent's were that cool when I was a kid.
>>
>> Jon

> I had very cool parents, and still have dad. :-)
>
> And yes, they were/are very cool. I have stories...
> --
> Peace! Om

Your very lucky. I really miss my parents. :-(

Luckily, my wonderful in-laws have 'adopted' me. We're going to see them for
dinner tonight at the assisted living facility.

Jon

Dave Smith[_1_] 25-02-2009 09:38 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

I have Paderno stainless and have had great luck with vinegar. Just pour
it in and let it sit overnight. The burned stuff can then be taken off
with a scrubbing brush or pad.

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 25-02-2009 11:49 PM

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:26:15 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>Omelet wrote:
>>
>> I love the smell of Hoppe's. Good childhood memories from when dad used
>> to clean guns after taking us target practicing on weekends. <g>

>My dad worked offshore, so when I smell creosote, I think of him. When
>I smell Right Guard and Listerine, I think of my grandfather.

When I smell Absorbine Junior or horehound drops, I think of Grampa.
When I smell lighter fluid, I think of Dad. When I smell Wrigley's
Spearmint gum and/or Avon lipstick, I think of Mom.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Omelet[_7_] 26-02-2009 02:47 AM

"Zeppo" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Zeppo" > wrote:
> >
> >> Man, I wish my parent's were that cool when I was a kid.
> >>
> >> Jon

> > I had very cool parents, and still have dad. :-)
> >
> > And yes, they were/are very cool. I have stories...
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Your very lucky. I really miss my parents. :-(

I understand. I really miss my mom.

> Luckily, my wonderful in-laws have 'adopted' me. We're going to see them for
> dinner tonight at the assisted living facility.
>
> Jon

Very cool. Enjoy!

And take pictures... That is the one regret I have about mom. Not enough
pics!

SteveB[_4_] 26-02-2009 03:53 AM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

I had to laugh. I harkened back to the night I discovered popcorn will burn
(as in large flames and clouds of smoke) in a microwave if you simply
superheat it for two minutes more than called for, then open the door to
provide the oxygen needed for combustion. Phew!

Burning a pan changes the metallic properties, and it will never be the
same. Toss it, or clean it up and display it with some calligrographic
explanation or comment.

STeve

notbob 26-02-2009 04:35 AM

On 2009-02-26, SteveB > wrote:

> same. Toss it, or clean it up and display it with some calligrographic
> explanation or comment.

Nonsense. A burned pan holds/heats food just as well as a non-burned pan.

nb

Melba's Jammin' 26-02-2009 01:34 PM

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Thank you much. We have all of the above, and I'll scratch the idea
> of oven cleaner. We have a 21 year old male who lives with us and I'm
> sure will LOVE scouring that pan out. LOL!
>
> Thanks again,
> Carol

What did you use and how well did it work?

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 26-02-2009 03:15 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:34:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Thank you much. We have all of the above, and I'll scratch the idea
>> of oven cleaner. We have a 21 year old male who lives with us and I'm
>> sure will LOVE scouring that pan out. LOL!

>What did you use and how well did it work?

I'm gonna have my slave read all the posts and make his own decision.
He was gone most of the day yesterday, but I'm gonna shackle him to
the kitchen radiator today. He'll probably like it. <rolling eyes>

Carol, who will report back.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

James Silverton[_2_] 26-02-2009 03:42 PM

Beartooth wrote on Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:06:03 -0600:

>> Carol, I deal with scorching by putting a layer of pure
>> vinegar in the pan and letting it soak for a day or two.
>> Putting it out in hot sunlight will help speed the process.

> Baking soda is surprisingly alkaline; washing soda is even
> more so; ammonia is also alkaline, but I disremember how the
> strength compares to the other two. Dishwashing liquid (for
> the sink) and dishwasher chemical both also contain alkalis,
> strong ones in the stuff for the dishwasher.

Last night, I burned some milk in a stainless steel pot. Scrubbing only
slowly affected it but bringing a solution of diswasher soap to a boil
and then leaving it overnight did the job.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Lou Decruss[_3_] 26-02-2009 11:53 PM

Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:15:40 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:34:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you much. We have all of the above, and I'll scratch the idea
>>> of oven cleaner. We have a 21 year old male who lives with us and I'm
>>> sure will LOVE scouring that pan out. LOL!

>>What did you use and how well did it work?

>I'm gonna have my slave read all the posts and make his own decision.
>He was gone most of the day yesterday, but I'm gonna shackle him to
>the kitchen radiator today. He'll probably like it. <rolling eyes>
>
>Carol, who will report back.

sheldumbs ammonia method does work but it sometimes does take longer.
I trashed a pan in the fall and put it in a sealed bag and tossed it
in the garage. It was in the dead of winter and I forgot about it
until spring. When I found it all the burnt stuff had tuned to flakes
and a light wiping with bar keepers friend make it look brand new.
Just a thought.

Lou

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 27-02-2009 01:28 AM

On Feb 25, 9:53*pm, "SteveB" > wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in messagenews:c4oaq4pbr6sce9ut0e7qfe3smo6884veu5@4ax .com...
>

> >I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. *LOL!

> > I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. *After
> > a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> > being on for heat.

> > Then the smell got very strong. *Shit! *I had turned the burner on
> > under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. *Thankfully, the lid
> > was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.

> > Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> > house. *Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!

> > What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> > Oven cleaner, maybe? * We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> > with a copper bottom, if that helps.

> > Carol

> > --
> > Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

> I had to laugh. *I harkened back to the night I discovered popcorn will burn
> (as in large flames and clouds of smoke) in a microwave if you simply
> superheat it for two minutes more than called for, then open the door to
> provide the oxygen needed for combustion. *Phew!
>
> Burning a pan changes the metallic properties, and it will never be the
> same. *Toss it, or clean it up and display it with some calligrographic
> explanation or comment.
>
> STeve

=============================
Hey Damsel!

I just "happen" to be a [really fine] calligrapher. Gimme the text
you want and I'll do it for you (free, of course, postage included) -
you can display the pan as an objet d'art or take a photo and mat the
picture and the calligraphy. You COULD take up an collection and
raise enough dough (heehee) to have the calligraphy silk screened onto
the stainless steel outside of the pan.
Lynn in Fargo

Miche[_3_] 27-02-2009 09:09 AM

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

Got access to a garden? Bury the pan up to its handle. When you pull
it out in a week, all the burned-up crap will be gone.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

phil-c 27-02-2009 09:16 AM

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>>
>> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
>> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
>> being on for heat.
>>
>> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
>> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
>> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>>
>> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
>> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>>
>> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

> Got access to a garden? Bury the pan up to its handle. When you pull
> it out in a week, all the burned-up crap will be gone.
>
> Miche

FORGOT about this old one but yes it works 80% of the time

Buggers up the implements when you forget to recover the buried treasure .