Posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

Default Sink Poll - are you a double or single bowler? What is your Dream sink? :-)

Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.

How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
sink/faucet be?

One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jj" > wrote in message
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

I have a large single sink back at my apartment in TN. Sometimes I miss it
because it's large enough to take a 13X9" glass baking dish or to soak my
broiler pan without a problem. OTOH, it's nice to have a second sink to be
able to rinse things off in and in which to set a dish drainer. Ideally,
I'd have all three. Unfortunately I'll never have the "ideal"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jj wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

I like the double bowl. I leave the dish rack in one side and have one
bowl for washing and whatever. If I need the other side I can take out
the drying rack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jj wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

I have a porcelain sink now and I hate it.I would prefer a single large,
deep sink.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sink Poll - are you a double or single bowler? What is your Dream sink? :-) (LONG REPSONSE)

"jj" > wrote in message
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

One of the dumbest mistakes I made was installing a double sink in the new
kitchen we built last year. I thought it was a really cool idea and had 2
friends that had one in their kitchens. They swore by it (though they
disavow any knowledge of doing that now). I chose one that had a large bowl
and a small bowl to the left that contains the disposal. It's a really nice
sink but I can't put large baking sheets or roasting pans flat in the large
bowl to clean them, a huge disadvantage.

I thought It would be great to have the garbage disposal in a separate bowl
so I could scrape dishes and stack them in the large bowl and not worry
about blocking the disposal chute, but the cost in sink space is too great.
Every time I make a large dinner I'm juggling having to do all the small
stuff first so I have room to do the roasting pans at an angle, which takes
the whole sink. If I want to soak them is soapy water it has to be on the
counter. A real PITA.

We've actually been discussing pulling the sink and putting in a single bow,
which would be expensive as the granite would have to be re-cut to fit the
new sink. But it bugs me enough that well probably do that this summer.

BTW, if our space for a sink was bigger it wouldn't be an issue. Our sink
had to fit into a 36" cabinet. If we had a 48" base this would have given us
room for a BIG double sink would have worked much better.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jj" > wrote in message
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?

I like my sink. Enamel, double, kind of plain, shines up nice. The most
important part of the kitchen is the window over the sink, as long as
everything works fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:54:21 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I like my sink. Enamel, double, kind of plain, shines up nice. The most
>important part of the kitchen is the window over the sink, as long as
>everything works fine.

Mine is finally ss. I used the porcelain sink that came with the
house and hated it every minute. I like my sink window too. It's
huge and comes all the way down to the back splash.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

> I've always had a single deep sink with a sprayer/hose on the side.
> Double bowls are too small for my purposes. I don't like the faucets
> where the head turns into a sprayer hose. Doesn't feel right to me.

I think I know what you mean... those tend to slide from your grip because
they don't have that big head.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 10:09*am, (jj) wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? *Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? *<snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? *Worst? * What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. *<long sentence hunh)

I prefer single. I don't wash dishes by hand, so a double bowl just
means "half the size", which isn't very useful.

My dream sink isn't terribly deep (because bending over is hard on
the back), but is big enough to accommodate
a half sheet pan and/or the grates from my stove. (Thanks for
the reminder; I'm googling in another tab to see if they're dishwasher
safe.) I'd also like to try a farmhouse-style sink, with the "apron"
in the front.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:09:30 GMT,
(jj) wrote:

>Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
>bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
>How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
>What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
>sink/faucet be?
>
>One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
>release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
>I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
>bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
>out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

We have always had a double-bowl sink and that's what we like, for
washing & rinsing dishes among other things. In the past it was
stainless steel, as deep as possible. The current sink is one of
those composite jobs that looks sort of like black granite. Doesn't
chip like porcelain, but it does appear to have stained (rust)
somewhat over the last five or six years. Still, it's nice and solid
and deep. We've no desire to change.

Ours has, and I personally prefer, separate hot and cold handles
rather than the single lift handle. And the faucet itself is a tall
gooseneck so that we can put almost anything underneath it; a tall
bucket, a big stockpot, whatever.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jj" > wrote in message
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

I love having the double sink.It's easier to wash dishes, wash in one side
and rinse in the other side. Plus, if there's dishes in the sink, I can
still use the other side for washing food and rinsing things as I'm cooking.

> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?

I like that my sinks are deep and the faucet is high enough to get things
under. I am very satisfied with my sink. I really don't have complaints
about the actual sink. My countertop isn't level though so any water that
splashes back behind the faucet rolls all the way to the end of the counter
and onto the floor if I don't catch it in time.
Marie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jj wrote:

> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

Bi-bowlular.

> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?

It's SS, easy to keep clean, both bowls are nice and deep. Faucet suits
me too.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> jj wrote:
>

>> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

> Bi-bowlular.
>

>> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
>> sink/faucet be?
>>

> It's SS, easy to keep clean, both bowls are nice and deep.
>
> Faucet suits me too.

Figures you'd be a faucet maven... guess it's suitable for nice and deep...
mine has a big spray head, and by pressing my rubbery tip you can choose a
stream or a powerful spray: http://i39.tinypic.com/34plt7t.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> jj wrote:
>
> > How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>

Seems like I've always had stainless doubles. Liked 'em.

Now, I've got an old enamel single. Onepiece with the aprons on each
side. Kinda retro-cool, but not much as a sink.

And, now that you mention it, I hate this short, single-handle faucet
and never have had much use for a sprayer . Simple enough to replace
it with a tall pot-filler, if I weren't so cheap and lazy.

Don't believe in disposals, either. It's not garbage, it's compost.

To complement a cook, clean your plate.
To thank a cook, hit the sink - clean all the plates.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:09*am, (jj) wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? *Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? *<snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? *Worst? * What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. *<long sentence hunh)

I "grew up" on double stainless steel sinks. Now (in my teeny weeny
"accessible" kitchen) i have a single stainless sink but it's big
enough to hold a medium sized cookie sheet and my smaller cutting
boards.
The best sink I ever had was an old double chipped white porcelain job
with an at least 18" deep "canning sink" on the left side. I loved
that sink! It was positively the BEST place to bathe a baby (once she
could sit up :-)
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Double SS sink, with one bowl bigger than the other, and a faucet with
a pull-out sprayer. Just what I wanted - and when we redid the kitchen
4.5 years ago I got it :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jj wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

That depends. If I had a lot of space for a sink, and thus could
have a normal-sized sink as part of a twosome, that wouldn't be
bad. But I wouldn't want two small sinks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 10:09*am, (jj) wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? *Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? *<snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? *Worst? * What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. *<long sentence hunh)

I like my double stainless - it's deep enough for my use and of
dimensions to accommodate a 13 inch pan - but what the heck - I am not
adverse to letting a pan soak on the counter overnight.

I had to live for years with a shallow, double porcelain job which
would barely hold a dishpan. No rinse hose either.

Say, what are those shallow little side sinks for anyway? I have seen
those coupled with one large deep bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 10:09*am, (jj) wrote:
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? *Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? *<snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? *Worst? * What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. *<long sentence hunh)

My current house came with a double sink where the bowls are as big as
a normal single kitchen sink. I love it since it'll hold a half-sheet
pan flat, as well as the roasting pan for soaking.

I might want something deeper, or one with one of those fancy taps
with the sprayer attachment attached to the main spout. I can get all
my stock pots under the tap I have now, but wouldn't mind having one
that I could was the cat in.....

maxine in ri

Double Bowl Offset Kitchen Sink Aamira Cooking Equipment 4 20-12-2013 07:53 AM
The kitchen sink Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 4 09-11-2012 04:16 AM
Kitchen sink Dimitri General Cooking 181 05-02-2012 03:45 PM
Everything but the kitchen sink? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 39 03-09-2008 10:34 PM
Oak Chips Sink? J F Winemaking 4 17-12-2004 05:32 PM