Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to say
this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old The recipe was apparently
listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's tenure at the
White House and probably underwent many changes.

Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

4-1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbs. butter
1 tall can evaporated milk
Boil 6 minutes

Put in large bowl:
12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as baking
chocolate for German chocolate cake]
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 pint marshmallow cream
2 cups nutmeats

Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is all
melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store in tin
box.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to
> say this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old The recipe was
> apparently listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's
> tenure at the White House and probably underwent many changes.
>
> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>
> 4-1/2 c. sugar
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1 tall can evaporated milk
> Boil 6 minutes
>
> Put in large bowl:
> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as
> baking chocolate for German chocolate cake]
> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
> 1 pint marshmallow cream
> 2 cups nutmeats
>
> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is
> all melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store
> in tin box.
>
> Jill

It does not look very good (IMHO), but I've seen worse. :-)

The sweet chocolate refers to a bar (2 bars?) of "Baker's German's Sweet
Chocolate." (notice the extra apostrophe, it is significant) It is a
very specific brand of sweet baking chocolate. I'll bet you could
substitute another 12 ounces of chocolate chips and it wouldn't hurt a
thing. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to say
> this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old The recipe was apparently
> listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's tenure at

the
> White House and probably underwent many changes.
>
> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>
> 4-1/2 c. sugar
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1 tall can evaporated milk
> Boil 6 minutes
>
> Put in large bowl:
> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as

baking
> chocolate for German chocolate cake]
> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
> 1 pint marshmallow cream
> 2 cups nutmeats
>
> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is all
> melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store in

tin
> box.

Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

So was Betty Ford, and Dubya, in his day. And Ike was unfaithful.
I think if I'd been married to the womanizing, War Hero Ike,
I might have tipped a few also.

What does that have to do with a fudge recipe?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

I think it was a first lady requirement of the times.

Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
mayonnaise.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:32:59 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

>I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

Is that all? I think there are a few here in rfc that can make her
look like a piker.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>>Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

> I think it was a first lady requirement of the times.
>
> Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
> good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
> mayonnaise.

That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually Mamie's
own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House as "hers". I
don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:19:56p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:32:59 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

>>I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

> Is that all? I think there are a few here in rfc that can make her
> look like a piker.

Truth be told.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:00:38 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>

>> Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

> So was Betty Ford, and Dubya, in his day. And Ike was unfaithful.
> I think if I'd been married to the womanizing, War Hero Ike,
> I might have tipped a few also.
>
> What does that have to do with a fudge recipe?
>
> gloria p

the charge that mamie was a drunk is bogus anyway. she had some kind of
inner ear condition that sometimes made her unsteady on her feet:

<http://books.google.com/books?id=lbLi0krb7yUC&pg=PA271&lpg=PA271&dq=mamie+ eisenhower+drunk&source=bl&ots=7nko8PPtrk&sig=63hW Ch8GmN8StQyQTWpsXQYRiiQ&hl=en&ei=O3KlSbiZGY-ctwfS0KTZBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result >

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
>> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to
>> say this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old The recipe was
>> apparently listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her
>> husband's tenure at the White House and probably underwent many changes.
>>
>> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>>
>> 4-1/2 c. sugar
>> 2 Tbs. butter
>> 1 tall can evaporated milk
>> Boil 6 minutes
>>
>> Put in large bowl:
>> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as
>> baking chocolate for German chocolate cake]
>> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
>> 1 pint marshmallow cream
>> 2 cups nutmeats
>>
>> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is
>> all melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting.
>> Store in tin box.
>>
>> Jill

> It does not look very good (IMHO), but I've seen worse. :-)
>
> The sweet chocolate refers to a bar (2 bars?) of "Baker's German's Sweet
> Chocolate." (notice the extra apostrophe, it is significant) It is a
> very specific brand of sweet baking chocolate. I'll bet you could
> substitute another 12 ounces of chocolate chips and it wouldn't hurt a
> thing. HTH

Nothing that includes marshmallow fluff sounds good to me.

I learned to make old-school cooked fudge and never knew it was supposed
to be difficult until a teacher I made it for told me so.

In retrospect, there was the batch that ended up as ice cream topping
due to under-cooking (my thermometer got broken and I was foggy on the
whole "soft ball" concept), and the one that had to be chipped out of
the pan with a screwdriver because I got a phone call from a cute guy in
my English class at a critical juncture, but otherwise there's just no
excuse for marshmallow fluff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

> > Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
> > good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
> > mayonnaise.

> That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually Mamie's
> own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House as "hers". I
> don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post it.

Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
top.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

>> > Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty
>> > darned good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
>> > mayonnaise.

>> That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually
>> Mamie's own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House
>> as "hers". I don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post
>> it.

> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
> top.

I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
jelled mixture, not served on top.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:14:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>

>> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
>> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
>> top.

>I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
>jelled mixture, not served on top.

Here it is. The SIL that I learned the recipe from and I differ
about which type of cottage cheese is best. She likes large curd, I
prefer small curd. Neither of us have made it in years though, so
just posting the recipe is a walk down memory lane.

Eisenhower salad

1 (16 oz carton) cottage cheese
2 cups mayonnaise
1 medium can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 small package lemon jello
2 small packages lime jello
1 cup hot/boiling water
1 ½ cups cold water

Dissolve the Jello in hot water - stirring well. Add the cold water
and stir again. Add cottage cheese and mayonnaise. Mix well. Add
pineapple and walnuts, mix. Pour into a 9 x 13 rectangular pan.
Refrigerate. When partially set (half set), stir well to distribute
the pineapple and nuts evenly.

Chill until hard set. Cut into squares and serve.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 10:03:00p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:14:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>

>>> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
>>> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
>>> top.

>>I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
>>jelled mixture, not served on top.

> Here it is. The SIL that I learned the recipe from and I differ
> about which type of cottage cheese is best. She likes large curd, I
> prefer small curd. Neither of us have made it in years though, so
> just posting the recipe is a walk down memory lane.
>

> Eisenhower salad
>
> 1 (16 oz carton) cottage cheese
> 2 cups mayonnaise
> 1 medium can crushed pineapple (drained)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 small package lemon jello
> 2 small packages lime jello
> 1 cup hot/boiling water
> 1 ½ cups cold water
>
> Dissolve the Jello in hot water - stirring well. Add the cold water
> and stir again. Add cottage cheese and mayonnaise. Mix well. Add
> pineapple and walnuts, mix. Pour into a 9 x 13 rectangular pan.
> Refrigerate. When partially set (half set), stir well to distribute
> the pineapple and nuts evenly.
>
> Chill until hard set. Cut into squares and serve.

Yep, that's the one. Thanks, Barbara!