FoodBanter.com

-   -   Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe") (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/168671-recipe-mamie-eisenhowers-million.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 24-02-2009 07:32 PM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to say
this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old :) The recipe was apparently
listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's tenure at the
White House and probably underwent many changes.

Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

4-1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbs. butter
1 tall can evaporated milk
Boil 6 minutes

Put in large bowl:
12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as baking
chocolate for German chocolate cake]
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 pint marshmallow cream
2 cups nutmeats

Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is all
melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store in tin
box.

Jill

zxcvbob 24-02-2009 08:04 PM

jmcquown wrote:
> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to
> say this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old :) The recipe was
> apparently listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's
> tenure at the White House and probably underwent many changes.
>
> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>
> 4-1/2 c. sugar
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1 tall can evaporated milk
> Boil 6 minutes
>
> Put in large bowl:
> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as
> baking chocolate for German chocolate cake]
> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
> 1 pint marshmallow cream
> 2 cups nutmeats
>
> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is
> all melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store
> in tin box.
>
> Jill

It does not look very good (IMHO), but I've seen worse. :-)

The sweet chocolate refers to a bar (2 bars?) of "Baker's German's Sweet
Chocolate." (notice the extra apostrophe, it is significant) It is a
very specific brand of sweet baking chocolate. I'll bet you could
substitute another 12 ounces of chocolate chips and it wouldn't hurt a
thing. HTH

Bob

Gregory Morrow[_184_] 24-02-2009 08:26 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to say
> this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old :) The recipe was apparently
> listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her husband's tenure at

the
> White House and probably underwent many changes.
>
> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>
> 4-1/2 c. sugar
> 2 Tbs. butter
> 1 tall can evaporated milk
> Boil 6 minutes
>
> Put in large bowl:
> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as

baking
> chocolate for German chocolate cake]
> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
> 1 pint marshmallow cream
> 2 cups nutmeats
>
> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is all
> melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting. Store in

tin
> box.

Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

--
Best
Greg

Gloria P 24-02-2009 10:00 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

So was Betty Ford, and Dubya, in his day. And Ike was unfaithful.
I think if I'd been married to the womanizing, War Hero Ike,
I might have tipped a few also.

What does that have to do with a fudge recipe?

gloria p

Mr. Bill[_2_] 24-02-2009 10:32 PM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

sf[_9_] 25-02-2009 05:18 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

I think it was a first lady requirement of the times.

Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
mayonnaise.

Mae West

sf[_9_] 25-02-2009 05:19 AM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:32:59 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

>I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

Is that all? I think there are a few here in rfc that can make her
look like a piker.

Mae West

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-02-2009 05:55 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
>>Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

> I think it was a first lady requirement of the times.
>
> Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
> good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
> mayonnaise.

That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually Mamie's
own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House as "hers". I
don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 25-02-2009 05:55 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:19:56p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:32:59 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:32:04 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge

>>I heard she drank a Million Dollars in Gin...

> Is that all? I think there are a few here in rfc that can make her
> look like a piker.

Truth be told.

blake murphy[_2_] 25-02-2009 04:37 PM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:00:38 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>

>> Mamie was a big drunk, donchyaknow...

> So was Betty Ford, and Dubya, in his day. And Ike was unfaithful.
> I think if I'd been married to the womanizing, War Hero Ike,
> I might have tipped a few also.
>
> What does that have to do with a fudge recipe?
>
> gloria p

the charge that mamie was a drunk is bogus anyway. she had some kind of
inner ear condition that sometimes made her unsteady on her feet:

<http://books.google.com/books?id=lbLi0krb7yUC&pg=PA271&lpg=PA271&dq=mamie+ eisenhower+drunk&source=bl&ots=7nko8PPtrk&sig=63hW Ch8GmN8StQyQTWpsXQYRiiQ&hl=en&ei=O3KlSbiZGY-ctwfS0KTZBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result >

your pal,
blake

Kathleen[_4_] 25-02-2009 09:25 PM

zxcvbob wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This is from a newspaper clipping found in that old recipe box. Since
>> Eisenhower (as well as Mamie) left office in 1961 it's a fair shake to
>> say this newspaper clipping is pretty darned old :) The recipe was
>> apparently listed in a number of "ladies" magazines during her
>> husband's tenure at the White House and probably underwent many changes.
>>
>> Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge
>>
>> 4-1/2 c. sugar
>> 2 Tbs. butter
>> 1 tall can evaporated milk
>> Boil 6 minutes
>>
>> Put in large bowl:
>> 12 ounces German Sweet Chocolate [I'm guessing that's what I know as
>> baking chocolate for German chocolate cake]
>> 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
>> 1 pint marshmallow cream
>> 2 cups nutmeats
>>
>> Boil boiling syrup over ingredients in bowl. Beat until chocolate is
>> all melted and pour in pan. Let stand a few hours until cutting.
>> Store in tin box.
>>
>> Jill

> It does not look very good (IMHO), but I've seen worse. :-)
>
> The sweet chocolate refers to a bar (2 bars?) of "Baker's German's Sweet
> Chocolate." (notice the extra apostrophe, it is significant) It is a
> very specific brand of sweet baking chocolate. I'll bet you could
> substitute another 12 ounces of chocolate chips and it wouldn't hurt a
> thing. HTH

Nothing that includes marshmallow fluff sounds good to me.

I learned to make old-school cooked fudge and never knew it was supposed
to be difficult until a teacher I made it for told me so.

In retrospect, there was the batch that ended up as ice cream topping
due to under-cooking (my thermometer got broken and I was foggy on the
whole "soft ball" concept), and the one that had to be chipped out of
the pan with a screwdriver because I got a phone call from a cute guy in
my English class at a critical juncture, but otherwise there's just no
excuse for marshmallow fluff.

Melba's Jammin' 26-02-2009 02:03 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

> > Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty darned
> > good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
> > mayonnaise.

> That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually Mamie's
> own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House as "hers". I
> don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post it.

Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
top.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 26-02-2009 02:14 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 24 Feb 2009 10:18:46p, sf told us...

>> > Maybe I should post a recipe for Eisenhower salad. It's pretty
>> > darned good if you can wrap your mind around jello salad made with
>> > mayonnaise.

>> That is pretty good, as is the fudge. I doubt either were actually
>> Mamie's own homemade recipes, but they did eminate from the White House
>> as "hers". I don't think I still have the salad recipe, so please post
>> it.

> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
> top.

I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
jelled mixture, not served on top.

sf[_9_] 26-02-2009 05:03 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:14:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>

>> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
>> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
>> top.

>I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
>jelled mixture, not served on top.

Here it is. The SIL that I learned the recipe from and I differ
about which type of cottage cheese is best. She likes large curd, I
prefer small curd. ;) Neither of us have made it in years though, so
just posting the recipe is a walk down memory lane.

Eisenhower salad

1 (16 oz carton) cottage cheese
2 cups mayonnaise
1 medium can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 small package lemon jello
2 small packages lime jello
1 cup hot/boiling water
1 ½ cups cold water

Dissolve the Jello in hot water - stirring well. Add the cold water
and stir again. Add cottage cheese and mayonnaise. Mix well. Add
pineapple and walnuts, mix. Pour into a 9 x 13 rectangular pan.
Refrigerate. When partially set (half set), stir well to distribute
the pineapple and nuts evenly.

Chill until hard set. Cut into squares and serve.

Mae West

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 26-02-2009 06:01 AM

Recipe: Mamie Eisenhowers Million Dollar Fudge (Another "heirloom recipe")

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 10:03:00p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 02:14:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 25 Feb 2009 07:03:58p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>

>>> Anything like the orange jell-o salad on my website? That has shredded
>>> carrots and chopped celery and a little green onion in it, with mayo on
>>> top.

>>I can't remember what all was in it, Barb, but the mayo was part of the
>>jelled mixture, not served on top.

> Here it is. The SIL that I learned the recipe from and I differ
> about which type of cottage cheese is best. She likes large curd, I
> prefer small curd. ;) Neither of us have made it in years though, so
> just posting the recipe is a walk down memory lane.
>

> Eisenhower salad
>
> 1 (16 oz carton) cottage cheese
> 2 cups mayonnaise
> 1 medium can crushed pineapple (drained)
> 1 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 small package lemon jello
> 2 small packages lime jello
> 1 cup hot/boiling water
> 1 ½ cups cold water
>
> Dissolve the Jello in hot water - stirring well. Add the cold water
> and stir again. Add cottage cheese and mayonnaise. Mix well. Add
> pineapple and walnuts, mix. Pour into a 9 x 13 rectangular pan.
> Refrigerate. When partially set (half set), stir well to distribute
> the pineapple and nuts evenly.
>
> Chill until hard set. Cut into squares and serve.

Yep, that's the one. Thanks, Barbara!