FoodBanter.com

-   -   Slicer, But For What ??? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/168629-slicer-but-what.html)

Mark Thorson 23-02-2009 09:46 PM

Slicer, But For What ???

It's a slicer for something, and certainly old,
but for what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691

If it's for pasta, the pasta would already have
to be cut into wide strips before using this to
cut it into narrow strips. What would be the
point of that? If you already have the knife
in your hand, why not keep cutting and forget
about using this machine?

It could be for cutting some other material
into strips, a material that occurs naturally
in wide strips. Like maybe slitting bark or
something for weaving into baskets.

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 23-02-2009 10:06 PM

Slicer, But For What ???

On Feb 23, 3:46*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> It's a slicer for something, and certainly old,
> but for what?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691
>
> If it's for pasta, the pasta would already have
> to be cut into wide strips before using this to
> cut it into narrow strips. *What would be the
> point of that? *If you already have the knife
> in your hand, why not keep cutting and forget
> about using this machine?
>
> It could be for cutting some other material
> into strips, a material that occurs naturally
> in wide strips. *Like maybe slitting bark or
> something for weaving into baskets.

Leather - to make laces/strips for sewing punched leather?
How about splitting fabric for hooking rugs (NOT "latch" hook)
Lynn in Fargo

Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] 24-02-2009 03:34 AM

Slicer, But For What ???

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:46:33 -0800, Mark Thorson >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>It's a slicer for something, and certainly old,
>but for what?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691

I'm about 99% sure it's an old meat grinder. My mother actually had an
old cast aluminum one that clamped to the kitchen counter/table and it
looked *somewhat* similar.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

sf[_9_] 24-02-2009 05:24 AM

Slicer, But For What ???

wrote:

>It's a slicer for something, and certainly old,
>but for what?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691
>
>If it's for pasta, the pasta would already have
>to be cut into wide strips before using this to
>cut it into narrow strips. What would be the
>point of that? If you already have the knife
>in your hand, why not keep cutting and forget
>about using this machine?
>
>It could be for cutting some other material
>into strips, a material that occurs naturally
>in wide strips. Like maybe slitting bark or
>something for weaving into baskets.

Are you sure it's a slicer and not an extruder?

Mae West

Giusi[_2_] 24-02-2009 08:03 AM

Slicer, But For What ???

"Mark Thorson" ha scritto nel messaggio > It's a slicer for something, and
certainly old,
> but for what?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691
>
> If it's for pasta, the pasta would already have> to be cut into wide
> strips before using this to> cut it into narrow strips.

The feed area precludes that kind of answer. If you were feeding in
something already rolled and flat the feed would be flat like a pasta roller
is today. This takes a rounded thing that is malleable and turns it into
long, flattened narrow things. Linguine, perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Without seeing just how big the resulatant strip would be it's impossible to
reckon, but sf is right, it is more an extruder than a roller/cutter.
Unfortunately, the last blow up looks like the strips could be 1" thick!

brooklyn1 24-02-2009 01:58 PM

Slicer, But For What ???

> "Mark Thorson" ha scritto nel messaggio > It's a slicer for something,
> and
> certainly old,
> but for what?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691
>
> If it's for pasta, the pasta would already have> to be cut into wide
> strips before using this to> cut it into narrow strips.

It appears that major portions of the device are missing; the entire cowl
and exit part... to me it looks like some sort of grain mill, perhaps a home
verion of a mill that slices steel cut oats, or separates the hull from
grain, or cracks corn, maybe removes shells from sunflower seeds.... but I
seriously doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with pasta.

modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] 24-02-2009 05:35 PM

Slicer, But For What ???

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:34:49 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:46:33 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>It's a slicer for something, and certainly old,
>>but for what?
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400032413691

>I'm about 99% sure it's an old meat grinder. My mother actually had an
>old cast aluminum one that clamped to the kitchen counter/table and it
>looked *somewhat* similar.
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Mine had a horizontal screw that pushed the meat into a cutting blade
that turned (on the same axis as the screw) against a multi-holed face
plate. Mark's gadget seems to have a set of blades that turn against
a rotating grooved cylinder. It would cut strips, but I don't think
it would grind meat.

I'm thinking it's a noodle machine.
--

modom