Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dandelion leaves

There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.

I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.

Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterLucas > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
But thanks.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C43B89.08124023022009
@news-wc.giganews.com:

>> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

> That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
> But thanks.

You tweaked my interest...... so I went looking :-)

It's very versatile.....

http://www.prodigalgardens.info/dandelion%20recipes.htm

http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/dandelion.html

http://southernfood.about.com/od/col...r/bl30319f.htm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, dandelion wine!!

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/dandelion.html

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=dandelion

That should get the ball rolling :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:12:40 -0600:

>> Omelet > wrote in
>> newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
>> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>>
> >> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my
> >> yard at the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >>
> >> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this
> >> year.
> >>
> >> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the
> >> roots etc.?

>> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

> That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
> But thanks.

I've eaten and quite enjoyed dandelion *leaves* in a mixed green salad
where they add an interesting bitter taste. That's about as far as I
would go tho' I believe they have actually been cooked. However, unlike
me, some people like long cooked spinach and vegetable greens.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

You can just plain old eat the leaves. The flowers can
be used as flavoring for dandelion wine:
<http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp>

This is a brief discussion of what you can use them
for and their properties:
<http://nccam.nih.gov/health/dandelion/>

This suggests you can roast the roots and make a beverage
from them:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_coffee>

This claims to be an Indian recipe, but I think it's
modernized. Sounds good, though:
<http://www.aurora-inn.mb.ca/food.html#dandy>

I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
lawn. That might be bad.

Mike Beede
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> Omelet > wrote in
> newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009 @news-wc.giganews.com:
>
>> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at
>> the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>>
>> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>>
>> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots
>> etc.?

> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas

Don't forget Dandelion Wine.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

We never ate the roots Om, just the tender young leaves. If you leave
them to flower you can pick the flowers and make a nice wine from them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
PeterLucas > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-C43B89.08124023022009
> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>

> >> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

> > That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
> > But thanks.

> You tweaked my interest...... so I went looking :-)
>
> It's very versatile.....
>

> http://www.prodigalgardens.info/dandelion%20recipes.htm
>

> http://www.mariquita.com/recipes/dandelion.html
>

> http://southernfood.about.com/od/col...r/bl30319f.htm
>

> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, dandelion wine!!
>
> http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/dandelion.html
>
> http://www.astray.com/recipes/?search=dandelion
>

> That should get the ball rolling :-)

<lol> Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:12:40 -0600:
>
> >> Omelet > wrote in
> >> newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
> >> @news-wc.giganews.com:

> >> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

> > That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
> > But thanks.

> I've eaten and quite enjoyed dandelion *leaves* in a mixed green salad
> where they add an interesting bitter taste. That's about as far as I
> would go tho' I believe they have actually been cooked. However, unlike
> me, some people like long cooked spinach and vegetable greens.

I'll most likely try them both ways. I've been on a raw baby spinach
leaf kick now for 3 weeks.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mike Beede > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

> You can just plain old eat the leaves. The flowers can
> be used as flavoring for dandelion wine:
> <http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp>
>
> This is a brief discussion of what you can use them
> for and their properties:
> <http://nccam.nih.gov/health/dandelion/>
>
> This suggests you can roast the roots and make a beverage
> from them:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_coffee>
>
> This claims to be an Indian recipe, but I think it's
> modernized. Sounds good, though:
> <http://www.aurora-inn.mb.ca/food.html#dandy>
>
> I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
> lawn. That might be bad.
>
> Mike Beede

I rarely, if ever, use pesticides at all, least of all in the garden
beds which is where these are growing. I'll use 5% sevin dust for flea
control but again, that's not in the garden beds!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

> We never ate the roots Om, just the tender young leaves. If you leave
> them to flower you can pick the flowers and make a nice wine from them.

I do need to try that one of these years, but right now they are weeds
in the asparagus and peruvian daffodil beds and need to come out. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
> judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
past few years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >
> > I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
> > judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

> Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
> past few years.

I'm not a big chemical user so there are no worries there.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
>>> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>>>
>>> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>>>
>>> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
>>> --
>>> Peace! Om
>>>
>>> I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
>>> judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

>> Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in the
>> past few years.

> I'm not a big chemical user so there are no worries there.

FYI

http://www.drugs.com/npp/dandelion.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Young, chemical-free dandelion leaves should be fine. I like
them sauteed in evoo, with a dash of sea salt, and a splash
of white vinegar and a few grinds of the pepper mill.
When they're reduced down by half and tender they are ready
to munch down.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
> --
> Peace! Om

I believe it's just the leaves. And depending upon where you pick them,
make sure they aren't covered weed killer. I remember my father telling me
his mother would send him out to pick dandelion greens during the 1930's
Depression. Neither of them is alive so I can't ask but I think she cooked
them like turnip greens.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
phil-c > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Kswck" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >>> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the

> >> Might want to check on the types of chemicals you've put on the lawn in
> >> the
> >> past few years.

> > I'm not a big chemical user so there are no worries there.

> FYI
>

> http://www.drugs.com/npp/dandelion.html

Good link, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> I believe it's just the leaves. And depending upon where you pick them,
> make sure they aren't covered weed killer. I remember my father telling me
> his mother would send him out to pick dandelion greens during the 1930's
> Depression. Neither of them is alive so I can't ask but I think she cooked
> them like turnip greens.
>
> Jill

Thanks Jill! These are in my back garden beds and have not been treated
to either pesticides or weed chemicals. The ones I mainly have my eye on
are in the asparagus bed. Those especially have never even been treated
with sevin. It's where most of my baby lady bugs live. :-) On the ferned
out leaves of mature asparagus.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

Young dandelion greens are good to eat. Never did anything with the
roots. Dandelion, garlic and olive oil (sometimes with anchovies) is a
Mediterranean classic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

> Young dandelion greens are good to eat. Never did anything with the
> roots. Dandelion, garlic and olive oil (sometimes with anchovies) is a
> Mediterranean classic.

Thanks George!

I understand that they are very nutritious.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/blgat5

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
> judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:50:54 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Mike Beede > wrote:
>

>> I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
>> lawn. That might be bad.
>>
>> Mike Beede

> I rarely, if ever, use pesticides at all, least of all in the garden
> beds which is where these are growing. I'll use 5% sevin dust for flea
> control but again, that's not in the garden beds!

maybe you should. i hear the garden is where the fleas go to re-group for
the next assault.

your pal,
blake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>> > There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
>> > moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>> >
>> > I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>> >
>> > Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?
>> > --
>> > Peace! Om
>> >

>> I believe it's just the leaves. And depending upon where you pick them,
>> make sure they aren't covered weed killer. I remember my father telling
>> me
>> his mother would send him out to pick dandelion greens during the 1930's
>> Depression. Neither of them is alive so I can't ask but I think she
>> cooked
>> them like turnip greens.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks Jill! These are in my back garden beds and have not been treated
> to either pesticides or weed chemicals. The ones I mainly have my eye on
> are in the asparagus bed. Those especially have never even been treated
> with sevin. It's where most of my baby lady bugs live. :-) On the ferned
> out leaves of mature asparagus.
> --
> Peace! Om

Lady bugs are great natural bug killers, most notably they eat aphids that
attack rose bushes. I love lady bugs I don't think they'll hurt your
dandelions but I don't have a garden so I don't really know. I only know
about dandelions from family folklore. But if you didn't use weed killers
on them then cooking the new green leaves should be similar to turnip
greens. I wouldn't cook them to death like my grandparents did. Maybe just
wilt them like spinach leaves or saute them in a little oil with onion and
garlic

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:50:54 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Mike Beede > wrote:
> >

> >> I assume you haven't used pesticides recently on your
> >> lawn. That might be bad.
> >>
> >> Mike Beede

> > I rarely, if ever, use pesticides at all, least of all in the garden
> > beds which is where these are growing. I'll use 5% sevin dust for flea
> > control but again, that's not in the garden beds!

> maybe you should. i hear the garden is where the fleas go to re-group for
> the next assault.
>
> your pal,
> blake.

I use sevin on the lawn so if they dare step out of the garden beds...
<g> I dust at the beginning of flea season and use Front Line on the
dogs, and the cats as needed. I may sometimes have to dust a second time
during the summer.

That does a good job controlling them. I'm not going to use pesticides
in my garden beds where I grow food.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Lady bugs are great natural bug killers, most notably they eat aphids that
> attack rose bushes. I love lady bugs I don't think they'll hurt your
> dandelions but I don't have a garden so I don't really know. I only know
> about dandelions from family folklore. But if you didn't use weed killers
> on them then cooking the new green leaves should be similar to turnip
> greens. I wouldn't cook them to death like my grandparents did. Maybe just
> wilt them like spinach leaves or saute them in a little oil with onion and
> garlic
>
> Jill

That seems to be the general consensus, thanks. I protect my baby lady
bugs. They eat more than just aphids! The ladybug larvae actually are
better predators than the adults.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"mom peagram" > wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/blgat5

Thanks mom. <g> I know I can google search any questions that can
possibly be asked here, but it's more fun to get input from personal
experiences!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well every little bit helps!

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "mom peagram" > wrote:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/blgat5

> Thanks mom. <g> I know I can google search any questions that can
> possibly be asked here, but it's more fun to get input from personal
> experiences!
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not
> judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:21:37 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
>moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
>
>I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
>
>Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

Today's Atlanta Journal Constitution had a recipe for dandelion and
goat cheese empanadas:

http://www.ajc.com/food/content/prin...id=inform_artr

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:21:37 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my yard at the
> >moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >
> >I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this year.
> >
> >Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the roots etc.?

> Today's Atlanta Journal Constitution had a recipe for dandelion and
> goat cheese empanadas:
>
> http://www.ajc.com/food/content/prin...fd.html?cxntli
> d=inform_artr
>
> Tara

Cool!

Dandelion [email protected] Winemaking 8 24-04-2006 01:42 AM
Something to mix with Dandelion leaf M.Melnicki Tea 1 18-02-2006 04:25 PM
Dandelion Woes... Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 26 29-05-2005 05:46 AM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM
dandelion Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 24-04-2005 04:30 PM