FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/168480-rec-mrs-flora-hales.html)

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 21-02-2009 07:42 AM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

I've posted this before, but it's my very favorite chess pie.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
6 each egg yolks
12 ounces evaporated milk -- (1 large can)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 pound unsalted butter -- melted
1 pinch Nutmeg
1 each pie crust, homemade, pre-baked

Adjust oven rack to its lowest position and preheat oven to 425°F.

Combine sugar, corn meal, and flour in a medium bowl. Gradually blend in
egg yolks and evaporated milk using a fork or whisk. Do not beat the
mixture, but blend thoroughly and gently. Blend in vanilla, followed by
the melted butter and nutmeg. Do not sprinkle nutmeg on top.

Pour filling into pie shell. If you have a pie shield, use it. If not,
cover edge of pastry with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower
temperature to 375°F. Make a foil tent to cover entire pie and continue
baking for an additional 40-45 minutes until top is puffed and golden
brown, and a silver knife comes out clean when inserted in middle of pie.
Remove pie to a cooling rack and allow to cool to almost room temperature
before serving. Leftovers should be stored in refrigerator.

Due to the high sugar and fat content, it is imperative to shield the
entire pie during baking. The pie will overbrown or even burn if not
shielded.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Jean B.[_1_] 21-02-2009 07:30 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I've posted this before, but it's my very favorite chess pie.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 2 cups granulated sugar
> 1 tablespoon cornmeal
> 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
> 6 each egg yolks
> 12 ounces evaporated milk -- (1 large can)
> 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
> 1/4 pound unsalted butter -- melted
> 1 pinch Nutmeg
> 1 each pie crust, homemade, pre-baked
>
> Adjust oven rack to its lowest position and preheat oven to 425°F.
>
> Combine sugar, corn meal, and flour in a medium bowl. Gradually blend in
> egg yolks and evaporated milk using a fork or whisk. Do not beat the
> mixture, but blend thoroughly and gently. Blend in vanilla, followed by
> the melted butter and nutmeg. Do not sprinkle nutmeg on top.
>
> Pour filling into pie shell. If you have a pie shield, use it. If not,
> cover edge of pastry with foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower
> temperature to 375°F. Make a foil tent to cover entire pie and continue
> baking for an additional 40-45 minutes until top is puffed and golden
> brown, and a silver knife comes out clean when inserted in middle of pie.
> Remove pie to a cooling rack and allow to cool to almost room temperature
> before serving. Leftovers should be stored in refrigerator.
>
> Due to the high sugar and fat content, it is imperative to shield the
> entire pie during baking. The pie will overbrown or even burn if not
> shielded.

Forwarded for safe-keeping. I probably already snagged it, but
just in case. I don't see it in my near future though.

--
Jean B.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 21-02-2009 07:39 PM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat 21 Feb 2009 12:30:27p, Jean B. told us...

> Forwarded for safe-keeping. I probably already snagged it, but
> just in case. I don't see it in my near future though.

I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
delicious.

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 21-02-2009 08:51 PM

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:30:27 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Forwarded for safe-keeping. I probably already snagged it, but
>just in case. I don't see it in my near future though.

Are you low-carbing?

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 21-02-2009 08:51 PM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:39:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
>delicious.

Does the cornmeal give it a "texture?"

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 21-02-2009 10:46 PM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat 21 Feb 2009 01:51:59p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:39:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
>>delicious.

> Does the cornmeal give it a "texture?"
>
> Carol

It's used primarily as a thickener, as is the flour, but no noticeable
cormeal texture unless, of course, you use very coarse ground meal.

Jean B.[_1_] 21-02-2009 11:05 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 21 Feb 2009 12:30:27p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Forwarded for safe-keeping. I probably already snagged it, but
>> just in case. I don't see it in my near future though.
>>

> I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
> delicious.

I don't think it would be a good recipe to convert to LC, since it
is so dependent on sugar. It does sound wonderful.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 21-02-2009 11:07 PM

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:30:27 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Forwarded for safe-keeping. I probably already snagged it, but
>> just in case. I don't see it in my near future though.

> Are you low-carbing?
>
> Carol

Yup. Unfortunately, having done it before, I am not getting that
great sudden weight loss, but I assume if I keep at it, I will
eventually lose weight. Also, I am convinced that it is a good
way to eat--esp. if you don't go overboard on fat. (Note I don't
say avoid fat. <g>)

--
Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] 21-02-2009 11:15 PM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:46:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 21 Feb 2009 01:51:59p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...
>
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:39:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
>>>delicious.

>> Does the cornmeal give it a "texture?"

>It's used primarily as a thickener, as is the flour, but no noticeable
>cormeal texture unless, of course, you use very coarse ground meal.

Would you believe I've never had chess pie?

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 21-02-2009 11:25 PM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat 21 Feb 2009 04:15:54p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:46:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 21 Feb 2009 01:51:59p, Damsel in dis Dress told us...
>>
>>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:39:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Does the cornmeal give it a "texture?"

>>It's used primarily as a thickener, as is the flour, but no noticeable
>>cormeal texture unless, of course, you use very coarse ground meal.

> Would you believe I've never had chess pie?
>
> Carol

Yes, actually. Chess Pie has its origins in American cooking in the South.
Many people in other parts of the country have never eaten it, and many
have never heard of it.

I should also have said before that using cornmeal or cornmeal and flour is
traditional in virtually every variation of this pie, and there are quite a
few variations.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 22-02-2009 01:00 AM

REC: Mrs. Flora Hale's Chess Pie

On Sat 21 Feb 2009 04:31:43p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:05:54 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>

>>> I don't make it often, Jean, as it is extremely rich, but ultiimately
>>> delicious.
>>>

>>I don't think it would be a good recipe to convert to LC, since it is
>>so dependent on sugar. It does sound wonderful.

> Mmmmmm.....
>
> I love lemon chess pie, as made by Edna Lewis. Haven't made it in a
> bit, but I just realized I have all the ingredients here.
>
> Christine

I've made that recipe, too, Christine, and I like it very much. Although,
the recipe I posted has a long history with me, so I have a slight
preference for it. They are very different pies, each to be enjoyed on
their on merits.